or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone "Hello" commercial - missing from apple.com?

iPhone "Hello" commercial - missing from apple.com?

post #1 of 8
Hi...

Anyone know why the gorgeous 480p / 720p / 1080p QuickTime versions of the iPhone "Hello" commercial are gone from apple.com? (Or am I just missing where they are now?)

I recently wanted to go back at watch them again (mainly to compare the lowercase at&t logo in the commercial to the uppercase one in the latest Cingular email), but alas, I cannot find the thing. Where'd it go?

I shudder to think about settling for watching a YouTube version.... hehehe
post #2 of 8
Hmmmm, interesting. Their page http://www.apple.com/iphone/hello just redirects you to their main iphone page. Maybe with all the new ads that have come out for the Mac, they are coming out with a new iPhone ad.

But why remove the old one?
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Hmmmm, interesting. Their page http://www.apple.com/iphone/hello just redirects you to their main iphone page. Maybe with all the new ads that have come out for the Mac, they are coming out with a new iPhone ad.

But why remove the old one?

Maybe because the guy who made the art film they ripped off (Telephones) asked them to remove it?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Maybe because the guy who made the art film they ripped off (Telephones) asked them to remove it?

Wouldn't that be a double rip-off?

The artist goes out and rips off all the movies to splice together his little compilation and then Apple ripping off that idea from him to do their own. If you'll notice none of the same shots were used.

Hell hollywood does this crap all the time... Why else would we have CSI on CBS and over on NBC we find Navy: CIS or Northern Exposure as we fast forward to Men In Trees or how about Asteroid aka Space Cowboys. Robocop aka Terminator I can go on and on with movies or TV shows that were clearly influenced if not a total rip-off of some earlier work.

What makes Apples rip-off unique?

D
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #5 of 8
pointless quibble: CSI and NCIS are both on CBS.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Wouldn't that be a double rip-off?

The artist goes out and rips off all the movies to splice together his little compilation..

Please.. they asked his permission, he said no, they did it anyway. Whatever why you look at it it was a sneaky move, but life goes on.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Please.. they asked his permission, he said no, they did it anyway. Whatever why you look at it it was a sneaky move, but life goes on.

I'd even go as far as calling it dirty pool but the fact remains this type of thing is done all the time especially in that industry. In fact, if it wasn't.... the catalog of unique US made (I can't speak for other countries but I'd be shocked if it weren't the same everywhere) US made TV and Movies would be about one one thousandth of what it is today. If that.

Sure, okay Apple asked his permission and had he granted it he would have been credited as the inspiration and received accolades galore and people that never heard of the guy would now know his work. He said no - so now he gets no credit, no notoriety, no nothin...

Either way it was no skin off Apples nose... he doesn't want the credit he doesn't get it. Life rolls on either way.

Dave
post #8 of 8
On a similar note... is anyone not fully expecting some sort of iPhone ad with nothing but a stark white (or black) background and the audio playing a few snips from The Beatles "Hello, Hello" song - and as the music ends the iPhone fades in.

God I remember back in the 80's (90's?)...

The first national product that attempted to use part of a Beatles song in their TV AD was "Sun Chips" and the song was "good day sunshine" -

This was just after Jackson snapped up the rights to most of the music (lyrics?) and he then began shopping out the catalog to the AD market.

Anyway, I'm a little hazy on the product but I'm pretty sure it was Sun Chips. The way I remember it, after the initial airing of the TV AD (a few weeks?) it got pulled due to all the hate mail from Beatlemaniacs thinking it was sacrilege to have a Beatles song used in a TV ad. I could be wrong about the AD getting pulled tho...

Well it looks like the AD people have finally won since I seem to be hearing quite a few Beetles snippits being use these days and narry a peep from the crowd... Never trust anyone over 30 I guess. Looks like it still holds true! :

Dave
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone "Hello" commercial - missing from apple.com?