Originally Posted by AquaMac
Worst president? G. W. Bush
no question about it.
- We are less secure than before 9-11.
- More people hate the US that before he was elected.
- The economy has been stagnant compared to the Clinton years.
- We have fewer constitutional freedoms.
- We have less privacy than before he was elected.
- Our international reputation is shot by our unprovoked invading of Iraq.
- No weapons of mass destruction (Iraq).
- His incompetent handling of the war in Iraq.
- His incompetent handling of our own homeland disaster (New Orleans).
- Failing to control runaway profits for the oil companies.
- Failing to make any real progress in health care.
- Increasing runaway spending in the government.
- Politicizing the election of the Supreme Court.
- Failing to admit his mistakes.
1. Prove it.
2. True, but that is played up in the media quite a bit. I also ask how important that is. Should it be a major foreign policy goal for the World to love us?
3. Patently false.
4. Dubious assertion. Name one freedom you personally no longer have.
5. Partially true. The question is whether or not that's acceptable. Based on what I see, it's acceptable to me give the threat we face. I also don't think the privacy issues are as unprecedented as you claim.
6. That's the same as #2. I also think it's overstated. Our reputation is not "shot." Our intel credibility took a hit, that's for sure.
7. See #6. Also, if you're taking issue with that you have to take issue with the Israelis, the Brits, the French, Germans and Russians. They all thought he had WMDs too.
8. I think that's overstated as well. Clearly there has been mismanagement and mistakes have been made. I don't know that you can use the term incompetent.
9. See above. That was more of local and state problem.
10. Whoah. As much as I favor price regulation on gas, the oil companies are in fact making far less than the government is. What specific actions do you propose? You also realize these are private corporations, yes? Do you think we ought to control Wal-Mart's profits too?
11. There has been some progress, depending on how its defined. We have HSAs now and a medicare prescrip bill. I don't favor the latter, but since it sounds like you're a Universal Healthcare guy (very bad idea, btw), you should be pleased.
12. Agreed with that completely, but Congress also shares a lot of the blame.
13. I don't know what that means exactly. Do you mean the judicial appointment process? I don't see how Bush politicized it anymore than it would have been. I think you're just pissed that two conservative justices got confirmed.
14. I will partially agree with that, given that you acknowledge that the media would NEVER ask President Clinton to admit his policy mistakes in a press conference in the East Room...like they did with Bush. Also, Bush feels many of his decisions are the right ones, even if you disagree. Regardless, I don't see how listing off one's mistakes is necessarily productive for a President leading a global war on terror. What does that accomplish, other than allowing liberals to gloat?