or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBook gets better screen; Final Cut 2 delay; Mac speaker fix

MacBook gets better screen; Final Cut 2 delay; Mac speaker fix

post #1 of 46
An updated to Apple's MacBook line on Tuesday came bearing price reductions for Europeans. Meanwhile, Apple appears as if it will miss a self-imposed ship deadline for the new Final Cut Studio 2 software suite. And separately, the company has promised a software update to patch a chronic speaker glitch in Mac OS X.

Latest MacBooks may bring stronger LCDs

Italians who received news of the spring 2007 MacBook update directly from Apple may have also been tipped off as to a change in the 13.3-inch displays used for the systems.

In its announcement, Apple Italy listed a 250cd/m2 brightness figure for the top 2.16GHz black model. The company has previously refrained from mentioning the display's specifications in the past, suggesting that the brightness was a selling point for at least the top system.

Europe as a whole also saw the price of the systems drop despite the change, with each system dipping 70 Euros to 1,049, 1,249, and 1,449 Euros respectively.

Final Cut Studio 2 shipping delayed

Apple has given signs that its Final Cut Studio 2 video editing tools will slip past their intended May release window.

Visitors to Apple's online Apple Store who place new orders are told that both the full version and its two upgrades will ship within 2-3 weeks, putting deliveries into early June. And despite showing an intended release date of May 15th, Amazon as of this writing is currently listing a 1-3 week shipping timeframe for new buyers.

No explanation has been given by Apple for the delay.

Update: Apple on Wednesday began shipping new license copies of Final Cut Studio 2. However, upgrade packages still reflect estimated ship times of 2 to 3 weeks.

Apple vows to fix speaker issue

Meanwhile, Apple is aware of and intends to fix a problem with the volume of the internal speakers on at least some Macs, including last fall's Core 2 Duo iMacs.

Owners of affected systems have complained that the built-in speakers have become too loud since the Mac OS X 10.4.9 update issued earlier in the year. The problem has become chronic and some customers have complained that Apple has taken a dismissive approach until today, denying that the patch was the root of the problem until the company privately admitted this month that its next software update should provide a cure.

"Not all Apple users enjoy being blown away by their systems nor are they from the generation that believes “loud” is the norm," said one report. "There has been no explanation as to why Apple took the direction it did in regards to this issue."
post #2 of 46
Apple's stock has gotten slammed today, no doubt this helped contribute.

"Dammit!" - Jack Bauer

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 46
"until the company privately admitted this month that its next software update should provide a cure."

Next software update? Is this implying a 10.4.10???
post #4 of 46
What are these people smoking? I mean, I noticed as well that the speaker volume on my MBP increased after that update. I actually thought it was a welcome change. And you know what I did to rectify the "issue" if I thought the sound was blaring? I used the volume control and TURNED IT DOWN!

Great, so now I got used to a little volume bump, Apple is going to take it away...
post #5 of 46
maybe the delay to FCP2 was a reaction like "Oh crap, we forgot about AVCHD!"
post #6 of 46
Same display.

The old displays on the MacBook were 250 cd /m2 (nits) too. It used to be on one of the pages on the US site too (but not the one I saved before the launch).
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by krankerz View Post

And you know what I did to rectify the "issue" if I thought the sound was blaring? I used the volume control and TURNED IT DOWN!

Oh, my God I never thought of that!

The lowest settings on my Core Duo iMac make any app with full-volume (e.g. max setting within iTunes) really too loud for many situations. And NO I do not like having to adjust each and every app I own to get a volume that isn't blaring even at the lowest setting.

What Apple should have done was make the loudest setting louder but kept the low settings as is...

Let's hope with the delay of Leopard that we DO we 10.4.10 as opposed to waiting until October to have this problem fixed.
Kevin Crossman
The Frat Pack Tribute
www.The-Frat-Pack.com
Kevin Crossman
The Frat Pack Tribute
www.The-Frat-Pack.com
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple's stock has gotten slammed today, no doubt this helped contribute.

"Dammit!" - Jack Bauer

It didn't really get slammed. The Nasdaq was down as a whole. I don't think you can say that helped contribute at all.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #9 of 46
I too welcomed the increase in volume in 10.4.9 as my MacBook Pro was previously all but silent even at its loudest. I'm shamed to say that my girlfriend put aside the MacBook Pro in order to watch online videos on a Dell laptop because she couldn't hear the sound on the Mac.

Apple - as if though you're reading this - please, please, please don't turn the MacBook Pro back down to inaudible.

reinharden
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by krankerz View Post

What are these people smoking? I mean, I noticed as well that the speaker volume on my MBP increased after that update. I actually thought it was a welcome change. And you know what I did to rectify the "issue" if I thought the sound was blaring? I used the volume control and TURNED IT DOWN!

Great, so now I got used to a little volume bump, Apple is going to take it away...

The sound on my iMac is too loud at its lowest setting. Hopefully, they only tweak the iMacs, for your sake.
post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinharden View Post

I too welcomed the increase in volume in 10.4.9 as my MacBook Pro was previously all but silent even at its loudest. I'm shamed to say that my girlfriend put aside the MacBook Pro in order to watch online videos on a Dell laptop because she couldn't hear the sound on the Mac.

Apple - as if though you're reading this - please, please, please don't turn the MacBook Pro back down to inaudible.

reinharden

I had a very similar problem with my MacBook. I couldn't hear a damn thing. I brought it to the Apple store SoHo and the guy cooly explained it away as "movies are mastered at lower volumes than pop music, so that's why you can't hear it". Which, while it is probably true, still gave no explanation as to why a computer so focused on being "dorm-friendly...30 feet away" had such a bad speaker system. </end rant>
post #12 of 46
It's shipping from Apple's distrobution center in Middletown, PA and I'm in D.C. so I should be on my door step in the next few days.
post #13 of 46
PS my iMacs speakers got louder after the update. I've taken it as a good thing!
post #14 of 46
Why is everyone ignoring the education discount increase for MacBooks? Now the laptop is sub-$1000 with the discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new edu discounts offer $100 off as opposed to the previous $50.

-=|Mgkwho
post #15 of 46
Where did May 15th come from?

My FCS upgrade invoice, ordered day of, has always said ship by May 31st deliver by Jun 6
post #16 of 46
I wonder if the complaints stemmed from the gain being too high such that it would cause the speakers to bottom out. That really sounds nasty when that happens.
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

I had a very similar problem with my MacBook. I couldn't hear a damn thing. I brought it to the Apple store SoHo and the guy cooly explained it away as "movies are mastered at lower volumes than pop music, so that's why you can't hear it". Which, while it is probably true, still gave no explanation as to why a computer so focused on being "dorm-friendly...30 feet away" had such a bad speaker system. </end rant>

The movies may well be mastered at a lower level. But I could hear the movies on my Dell laptop (and my HP and my IBM laptops). Even at the highest volume, they were essentially inaudible on the MacBook Pro.

So I still think there was a volume problem that was fixed in 10.4.9. Alas, it apparently broke the volume on other machines. :-( Is it too much to hope for one fix that fixes both...

So, now that the arguably new MacBooks are released...when can I buy a black iMac?

reinharden
post #18 of 46
I would have to say on 10.4.9 on White MacBook Core[1] Duo the speaker volume was alright, but a bit soft. Mac Mini Core[1] Solo/Duo speaker volume is quite soft.

I'm using from work a Black MacBook Core2Duo 10.4.9. The speaker volume setting is just nice. The laptop "vibrates" a little on louder settings, a bit of "mini-subwoofer" effect too to give some bass boost. I have to say, I likey. ...DONT TAKE THIS AWAAY APPLE !!!

Having used the Black MacBook, once you go Black, you never go back...
It goes nice with my Black(+DarkBlue "dust") Logitech Wireless Mouse, TDK Black Headphones, my Black and Red/White Cap, Black Sony 17" LCD, Black/Grey Canon Printer, Black/Grey Canon Scanner, Black PC Tower, Black/Silver PC keyboard, Black Glass of my study table, yet still. It owns the other Black Hardware... 'coz it be a Mac. 8)
post #19 of 46
Quote:

The movies may well be mastered at a lower level. But I could hear the movies on my Dell laptop (and my HP and my IBM laptops). Even at the highest volume, they were essentially inaudible on the MacBook Pro.

So I still think there was a volume problem that was fixed in 10.4.9. Alas, it apparently broke the volume on other machines. :-( Is it too much to hope for one fix that fixes both...

Umm... I would suggest y'all learn to use the Equalizer in iTunes and/or "Volume Adjustment" in iTunes File Info panel. Perfect for boosting quiet stuff and reducing loud stuff.

Yes, the mastering varies a lot especially for video. It's pretty complicated stuff unless you have had some experience with Compression (as in audible sound not data), Limiting, Normalization, EQ, and Dolby Digital/ DTS downsampling/ muxing.

Quote:

So, now that the arguably new MacBooks are released...when can I buy a black iMac?

Word. That would be badass.
post #20 of 46
All said and done, in any case, I hope the update brings as much happiness to as many people as possible.
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Why is everyone ignoring the education discount increase for MacBooks? Now the laptop is sub-$1000 with the discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-=|Mgkwho

WORD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An updated to Apple's MacBook line on Tuesday came bearing price reductions for Europeans. .... Europe as a whole also saw the price of the systems drop despite the change, with each system dipping 70 Euros to 1,049, 1,249, and 1,449 Euros respectively.

Come on Apple Asia !!! Discounts too!! Papa needs more comission on sell Apples.....!!!
post #22 of 46
FCP 2 shipping delay? Really? Because I received a shipping notification from Apple today (5/15) saying my copy shipped out and will arrive by Saturday.

Shipment Information

Shipment Date:
MAY 15, 2007

Delivers by:
MAY 22, 2007

FINAL CUT STUDIO 2 RETAIL-INT MA886Z/A
post #23 of 46
With this small discount (€70 to €145) Europeans are still paying €200 to €325 more for MacBooks. The price of a cheap US flight. Are Apple using 747s to fly these babies in on separate seats - Buckle up!
post #24 of 46
But this one goes to 11...
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post

With this small discount (€70 to €145) Europeans are still paying €200 to €325 more for MacBooks. The price of a cheap US flight. Are Apple using 747s to fly these babies in on separate seats - Buckle up!

We, europeans, are definitely still being ripped off, but the values you present cannot be globally imposed to the whole of Europe. Let's consider the middle white MacBook. Its US price is currently US$1299 with no taxes included (which is roughly €959). In my country, this MacBook costs €1324 with 21% VAT included. By removing the tax fee, its initial price comes down to €1094, approximately. So the premium we pay here is around €135. Since these new models aren't yet available here, I won't speculate on the discount value which we'll see on the final prices. But, regardless of this value, it will close the gap on the current US prices.
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaiGuy View Post

But this one goes to 11...

Nice.
post #27 of 46
w00t brings back memories

post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky_Brain View Post

We, europeans, are definitely still being ripped off, but the values you present cannot be globally imposed to the whole of Europe.

You bet. We don't all use Euros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky_Brain View Post

Let's consider the middle white MacBook. Its US price is currently US$1299 with no taxes included (which is roughly 959). In my country, this MacBook costs 1324 with 21% VAT included. By removing the tax fee, its initial price comes down to 1094, approximately. So the premium we pay here is around 135.

You could come to the UK to buy it. Here, the middle MacBook is 1030 before tax. Our tax is 17.5% so it's 1210 so you'll save 114 by buying it in the UK. The price drop in the UK this time round was £50 or 73 but the prices were already lower than the rest of Europe it appears.

We're still about $100 more than the USA though.

The cheapest MacBook dipping below £700 for the first time is quite a good change though for that psychological barrier that some people won't step over.
post #29 of 46
i think its a beat up. my order too still says it will ship by end of may (deliver by june 6 yes, but ship by end of may)
post #30 of 46
Ha ha ha since i live in the UK i should go to the US and buy a Mac because I can effectly get it for half price since we have a great exchange rate!! :P:P
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Ha ha ha since i live in the UK i should go to the US and buy a Mac because I can effectly get it for half price since we have a great exchange rate!! :P:P

It'd be good if you could but you're sadly wrong. The cheapest MacBook is £594+VAT. In the USA it's $1099+Tax. £594 = $1179. Then you've got to buy a new power adaptor plug and we're glossing over getting it past customs, airfares and somewhere to stay in the US.

It makes more sense with the MacPros but they're not exactly carry on luggage.
post #32 of 46
I liked the increased volume on the C2D iMac. Most of the time I use headphones anyway, but if I want to watch if a movie on it with others then it's much better now.

What I really want, if a checkbox in the control panel to turn off the *BONG* when the Mac reboots. Sometimes muting the computer before rebooting works, but not always, and I just want it gone once and for all.
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What I really want, if a checkbox in the control panel to turn off the *BONG* when the Mac reboots. Sometimes muting the computer before rebooting works, but not always, and I just want it gone once and for all.

There are third party solutions.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23141

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21378

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25458

StartupSound is a freeware prefpane, giving you a slider control, but it instals a kernel extension which some people do not like;
Startup Chime Stopper doesn't seem like a good idea, firstly it's shareware and secondly it just mutes the chime - the bong is not just decorative, it tells you your Mac is healthy. If you hear the sound of breaking glass on start up you know you've got a problem! I've never experienced that personally (it's a Mac for God's sake!), but it is a built-in doomsday diagnostic tool.
Psst! Freeware, people seem to like this, free standing background app.

I installed StartupSound a couple of years ago and haven't looked at it since - the chime is set to minimum volume independent of master volume and it works every time.

It should be part of the OS though.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #34 of 46
Apple DON'T YOU DARE CHANGE THE VOLUME on the MacBook Core Duos, don't know about the MacBook Core 2 Duos or any other systems. Until the change the volume was way too low but it was much better after the change. Before the change you could not listen to a DVD or CD after the change is was much better.

If the volume goes down with the next patch Apple is going to get a really ticked off customer calling. Maybe even a small claims court case for defective design which they fixed then broke again.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdo View Post

Oh, my God I never thought of that!

The lowest settings on my Core Duo iMac make any app with full-volume (e.g. max setting within iTunes) really too loud for many situations. And NO I do not like having to adjust each and every app I own to get a volume that isn't blaring even at the lowest setting.

What Apple should have done was make the loudest setting louder but kept the low settings as is...

Let's hope with the delay of Leopard that we DO we 10.4.10 as opposed to waiting until October to have this problem fixed.

You must be the laziest person that I have ever heard of. How many programs could you possibly have? Maybe 50? Of those, how many do you use on a regular basis. Less than 15 I bet. How many produce sound, probably no more than 10 and I am being generous. Now how long would it take you to adjust the volumes on 10 programs. Probably less than 5 minutes or less time than you spent reading this thread and posting your reply.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Startup Chime Stopper doesn't seem like a good idea, firstly it's shareware and secondly it just mutes the chime - the bong is not just decorative, it tells you your Mac is healthy. If you hear the sound of breaking glass on start up you know you've got a problem! I've never experienced that personally (it's a Mac for God's sake!), but it is a built-in doomsday diagnostic tool.

I don't really understand why muting the startup sound is bad. If you get an alternate sound because the computer is borked, the computer is not going to run anyway. A sound to tell you that is redundant, it doesn't really give much information to the user. A Mac tech can use certain diagnostic commands, which would be more informative.
post #37 of 46
I just received mine about an hour ago.

Mmmmmmmmmm. It is tasty!
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Final Cut Studio 2 shipping delayed

Apple has given signs that its Final Cut Studio 2 video editing tools will slip past their intended May release window.

Visitors to Apple's online Apple Store who place new orders are told that both the full version and its two upgrades will ship within 2-3 weeks, putting deliveries into early June. And despite showing an intended release date of May 15th, Amazon as of this writing is currently listing a 1-3 week shipping timeframe for new buyers.

No explanation has been given by Apple for the delay.

My Final Cut Studio2 shipped yesterday and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. This is the full version, I also ordered the upgrade version and it is listed to ship on May 31st still.
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

We in Finland still get a flat 6% discount, which comes down to about 60EUR on the cheapest MB. We have no refurbs, no special offers on any Apple hardware at any time, no Mac-iPod deals. Resellers don't have real deals either so Apple Store is always cheaper by a thin margin. I have never in my life seen an Apple ad in print media, radio, TV or outside. The resellers have had some billboards out, but obviously they just advertise what they're selling at what price. That doesn't do anything towards building image for Apple or their products in general.

Not that ads would do anything for me, but discount-type promotions definitely would. I gotta wonder why it's profitable for them to promote and advertise their product elsewhere, but they don't even try here.
post #40 of 46
I just got my copy of Final Cut Studio 2 via Fedex/Apple store. I ordered the day it was released.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBook gets better screen; Final Cut 2 delay; Mac speaker fix