or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple preps first builds of Mac OS X 10.4.10 for testing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple preps first builds of Mac OS X 10.4.10 for testing - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

For every person who sees 10.4.10 and thinks it's 10.4.1, there's one who'd look at 10.4.A and wonder if it predates 10.4.1. The general public doesn't understand software numbering and hasn't heard of hexadecimals.

Lets face it, the whole OS X numbering is seriously messed up. We're currently running "Mac oh ess ten ten point four point nine tiger" [How could you forget the last part? -Sebastian] There's no reason to repeat the ten.

If the product is MacOS then a version number 10.4.9 makes sense. If the product is MacOS X, then the version number should be 4.9.

Yeah it is a bit screwy, I solved it for myself though. I just refer to OS X as "oh ess ten" and Mac OS X as "mac os x"

It's still better than Windows though, the OS on my HP is:
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 Rollup 2

To make things worst, that's just an OEM version.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

My thoughts entirely. How come people get so caught up on meaningless semantics that they miss what's really being said?

Who gives a monkey's what it's called, it's what it does that matters! (Cue apoplexy amongst politicians)

If 10.4.10 (or whatever) includes new functionality for new hardware, presumably originally intended for Leopard, that's the big news. It suggests:

- there are significant new capabilities in Leopard, which will require new hardware, and
- we will not have to wait for Leopard for the new hardware

Of course, this is peanuts compared to what the naming convention should be...\

I didn't want that sentence to go unnoticed because I heard that Mac OS XI is going the be named after Monkeys

The first one: Mac OS XI 11.0.x Gorilla

It'll be based on Plan 9 and replace the Quicktime Media Layer with Windows Media Player

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I heard that Mac OS XI is going the be named after Monkeys

I'm chimping at the bit

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

suggestion for naming convention of updates

10.4.9A
10.4.9B
10.4.9C

or

10.4.9.1
10.4.9.2

I just think 10.4.10 is mistaken for 10.4.1

Ahhhh..... No.

I'm sure people will be able to figure out that 10.4.10 is bigger than 10.4.1.
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Auxio,
I just got back from Toronto last week. ....It also doesn't hurt that the women there are smokin'!!!


You mean, as in.......

....or, as in.....
post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You mean, as in.......

....or, as in.....

YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT. ALTHOUGH, IT SOUNDS PRETTY STUPID, BUT SINCE "LEOPARD" ISN'T COMING-OUT UNTIL OCTOBER, IT BUYS MORE TIME FOR "APPLE INC." TO GET "TIGER" RIGHT. THIS' A "SPECAIL" UPDATE THOUGH, SO DON'T EXPECT THIS TO HAPPEN EVERYTIME THOUGH.
(*APPLE INC.'S OS X*) (*VERSION*) (*#10.7.3+BETA#*) (*BUILD*)
(*#11D36#*) (*ROARING LION USER*)
Reply
(*APPLE INC.'S OS X*) (*VERSION*) (*#10.7.3+BETA#*) (*BUILD*)
(*#11D36#*) (*ROARING LION USER*)
Reply
post #47 of 75
They could stand to fix .Mac Sync'ing on 24" iMac's. I have had nothing but problems with that one feature since 10.4.9.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHEN RAY SNELL View Post

YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT. ALTHOUGH, IT SOUNDS PRETTY STUPID, BUT SINCE "LEOPARD" ISN'T COMING-OUT UNTIL OCTOBER, IT BUYS MORE TIME FOR "APPLE INC." TO GET "TIGER" RIGHT. THIS' A "SPECAIL" UPDATE THOUGH, SO DON'T EXPECT THIS TO HAPPEN EVERYTIME THOUGH.

No, only every time there's an update after 9...
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHEN RAY SNELL View Post

YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT. ALTHOUGH, IT SOUNDS PRETTY STUPID, BUT SINCE "LEOPARD" ISN'T COMING-OUT UNTIL OCTOBER, IT BUYS MORE TIME FOR "APPLE INC." TO GET "TIGER" RIGHT. THIS' A "SPECAIL" UPDATE THOUGH, SO DON'T EXPECT THIS TO HAPPEN EVERYTIME THOUGH.

Did you hit the caps lock by mistake?

I do it and then have to correct it.
post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm chimping at the bit

ah ah hah ahhah ha ha ha that's awesome...!
way to bring in the waste of time that is that chomp chimp champ chump stuff thread.
post #51 of 75
Fuck man you guys wasted TWO bloody pages of this thread on arguing
about the PRETTY BLOODY OBVIOUS numbering system of Tiger.
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Did you hit the caps lock by mistake?
I do it and then have to correct it.

Perfect sarcasm there. Heh.
post #53 of 75
Is A2DP possible via software update (thus a possible feature of 10.4.10), or is it something tied to hardware? I just can't believe I can't use stereo BT headphones w/ my MBP....
post #54 of 75
hopefully the breather before leopard will be put to good use!

bluetooth (dongles), sync (phones), burn (dvd) & remcon (IR) are all flaky!

support for third party hardware by APPLE is essential or else the 'plug'n'play' franchise for the mac is USELESS!

most of the stuff i need to connect to my mac wont work because apple is lazy & disorganized.

use the 10.4.x upgrade(S) to enhance stability stability stability!!!!!!!!!!!
post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, MS already did that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Fuck man you guys wasted TWO bloody pages of this thread on arguing
about the PRETTY BLOODY OBVIOUS numbering system of Tiger.

Ya, what a waste of digital paper.
post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I just got back from Toronto last week. I had never been there before. What a great city! I didn't make it out of downtown, but I had an amazing time and liked everything I saw.

10-4 on that.

Though sometimes I feel like we're lacking interesting architectural design as compared to major US cities (maybe it's just because I'm not into Victorian era design). But the ethnic diversity and the restaurants here are amazing. Lived here for 7 years and I continually find great places to eat.

Never been to Philly (love old Philly soul/funk though), but I am heading down to NYC for the first time over the long weekend, so I'm pretty excited about that.
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Ya, what a waste of digital paper.

So plant a Digital Apple Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

...but I am heading down to NYC for the first time over the long weekend, so I'm pretty excited about that.

I have a friend on the plane to NYC right now who's visiting for Joey Ramone's Birthday Bash. Your visit wouldn't have anything to do with Joey Ramone would it?

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

So plant a Digital Apple Tree

post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Fuck man you guys wasted TWO bloody pages of this thread on arguing
about the PRETTY BLOODY OBVIOUS numbering system of Tiger.

I'm glad someone pointed this out. This thread was starting to become a joke.
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Did you hit the caps lock by mistake?

I do it and then have to correct it.

As I recall he's paraplegic and types with his nose, and for some reason or another he prefers to always have caps lock on.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #61 of 75
Hmmmm.... monkeys...... OSX 11 Gorilla. I like it.
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I have a friend on the plane to NYC right now who's visiting for Joey Ramone's Birthday Bash. Your visit wouldn't have anything to do with Joey Ramone would it?

haha, no. i am going to a loft party though.

speaking of Joey Ramone, has CBGB been stripped down to the walls yet, or is there something left worth seeing there?

weird, i've used 10-4 and CB in the past couple of posts. i think that joke affected me on a subconscious level
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

haha, no. i am going to a loft party though.

speaking of Joey Ramone, has CBGB been stripped down to the walls yet, or is there something left worth seeing there?

weird, i've used 10-4 and CB in the past couple of posts. i think that joke affected me on a subconscious level

Doesn't look like it, although the "next" auction is on November 29th 2006 suggesting that the site is outdated now.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

This thread was starting to become a joke.

Then, have a good laugh, and move on (or don't read it).

post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Then, have a good laugh, and move on (or don't read it).


Normally I would just move on and not even post a reply. However this isn't a thread started by forum members. This is the discussion of an article posted by AI. It was promply hijacked by people argueing over the number system Apple decided to use. Sorry but that's just lame. I keep visiting the thread hoping that I might learn something about the next Tiger update. That isn't unreasonble is it? I don't give a rats ass about how Apple decides to number the thing. If people want to debate the rationale for Apple's numbering scheme go start a thread on it and I promise not to visit. Fair enough?
post #66 of 75
Unfortunately, there have been many threads devoted to it, and they've all sucked as lame. It's an idiotic argument, no matter which way you cut it. Those who are confused by .10 releases are badly informed (which can be easily rectified, and we all had to start out as newbies at some point, right?), stubbornly adamant (which can be beaten down under a mountain of evidence until they capitulate, or end up looking like idiots), or just plain stupid (which, unfortunately, there is no cure for).

The first lot benefit from a quick explanation, the second lot are annoying, but given enough preponderance of logic and evidence, generally go away quietly. The third lot though... well...

Basic rule of thumb - if you see *any* thread with .10 somewhere in it, avoid it, it'll be useless. Dang, might have to modify that rule, since now we'll have an actual .10 release to talk about.

------

Agreed on lack of info about this release being annoying - sounds like 'an unspecified audio fix' is about as good as we're going to get at this point. C'mon Kasper! Make those moles work harder!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #67 of 75
I actually thought this thread was one of the funniest I've read in a long time. I love seeing the discrepancy between the straightforward thinkers and the creative thinkers/pranksters. Some people just don't get it...



 
Reply
 
Reply
post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Unfortunately, there have been many threads devoted to it, and they've all sucked as lame. It's an idiotic argument, no matter which way you cut it. Those who are confused by .10 releases are badly informed (which can be easily rectified, and we all had to start out as newbies at some point, right?), stubbornly adamant (which can be beaten down under a mountain of evidence until they capitulate, or end up looking like idiots), or just plain stupid (which, unfortunately, there is no cure for).

The first lot benefit from a quick explanation, the second lot are annoying, but given enough preponderance of logic and evidence, generally go away quietly. The third lot though... well...

Basic rule of thumb - if you see *any* thread with .10 somewhere in it, avoid it, it'll be useless. Dang, might have to modify that rule, since now we'll have an actual .10 release to talk about.

------

Agreed on lack of info about this release being annoying - sounds like 'an unspecified audio fix' is about as good as we're going to get at this point. C'mon Kasper! Make those moles work harder!

Let's face it, it is a pretty stupid argument.

Whatever Apple does with the numbering, it's going to be just fine.

10.4 has been out for so long now, that anyone who actually mistakes 10.4.10 for 10.4.1 is pretty hopeless anyway.

Besides, the only way to get the update is either through Software Update, and I seriously doubt that it will give us the wrong one, or Apple's site. As far as I know, Apple won't be having 10.4.1 anywhere where the unwary can get their little outdated hands on it.
post #69 of 75
do you think Apple will fix the XT1900 video card problem with the next update? Probably not, then my Mac Pro gets a swift kick in its nuts for making that hitious fan ruckess. It sounds like a damn jet plane is landing under my desk.
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Reply
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Reply
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

do you think Apple will fix the XT1900 video card problem with the next update? Probably not, then my Mac Pro gets a swift kick in its nuts for making that hitious fan ruckess. It sounds like a damn jet plane is landing under my desk.

Apple might provide a newer board with a newer version of the computer itself. I don't know about fixing it with software in a way that you would benefit.
post #71 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple might provide a newer board with a newer version of the computer itself. I don't know about fixing it with software in a way that you would benefit.

Well, apparently it can be fixed through Apple Upgrade...but I'll just have to wait and see. regardless I think I need a new one because it's makin' all kinds of weird sounds.
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Reply
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Reply
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I don't give a rats ass about how Apple decides to number the thing. If people want to debate the rationale for Apple's numbering scheme go start a thread on it and I promise not to visit. Fair enough?

Fair enough indeed. But...

I didn't give a monkeys, you don't give a rats ass - following the (il-)logic of this thread, there's a debate to be had there!

<coiling up and spontaneously imploding through triviality>And as for starting a new thread, the problem there is "What should that thread be called?" Shouldn't we have a thread debating that first? </coiling up and spontaneously imploding through triviality>

Maybe it would be easier to have a new thread discussing/speculating the implications of Apple releasing <b>the next iteration of Tiger</b> to accommodate new hardware...\
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Well, apparently it can be fixed through Apple Upgrade...but I'll just have to wait and see. regardless I think I need a new one because it's makin' all kinds of weird sounds.

Sopposedly. But I doubt it.
post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I actually thought this thread was one of the funniest I've read in a long time. I love seeing the discrepancy between the straightforward thinkers and the creative thinkers/pranksters. Some people just don't get it...


I agree!
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Wouldn't that make it sound like a Canadian CB radio operator?

I can see the Bob and Doug McKenzie TV ad for OS X now.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
Reply
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple preps first builds of Mac OS X 10.4.10 for testing