or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › News Flash: Apple iPhone receives FCC approval

News Flash: Apple iPhone receives FCC approval - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Champ is merely an older form of the word, in fact, that's basically the OED's definition, you have to look up chomp to get the meaning. I've never heard it used outside of the idiom. I think it makes more sense to use the idiom with the newer form, to use words that are actually used.

JeffDM, I have before me the New Webster, Oxford, Britannica, Canadian, Larrouse, and a couple more dictionaries. Only the Canadian has the word 'chomp' in it. The others show , 'champ' to bite and chew noisily, and list a second definition, "to show impatience."

In the Canadian dictionary, "Chomp' is exampled by, 'chomping on a cigar' as in chewing repeatedly, whereas 'champ' is exampled by, 'champ' at the bit' as in showing impatience at being held back.

As such, chomp doesn't appear to be an old form of champ.
post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Be careful, it is "champing at the bit."

And thanks guys. Now that my wife has seen this, the pain has already begun.

ignore the wife, grow some nuts
post #43 of 67
Quote:

JeffDM, I have before me the New Webster, Oxford, Britannica, Canadian, Larrouse, and a couple more dictionaries. Only the Canadian has the word 'chomp' in it. The others show , 'champ' to bite and chew noisily, and list a second definition, "to show impatience."

In the Canadian dictionary, "Chomp' is exampled by, 'chomping on a cigar' as in chewing repeatedly, whereas 'champ' is exampled by, 'champ' at the bit' as in showing impatience at being held back.

As such, chomp doesn't appear to be an old form of champ.

Older form, no; variant, yes. Merriam-Webster online has this entry:

Main Entry: chomp
Pronunciation: 'chämp, 'chomp
Function: verb
Etymology: alteration of champ
intransitive verb
1 : to chew or bite on something
2 : CHAMP 2 -- usually used in the phrase chomping at the bit
transitive verb : to chew or bite on

The unabridged Oxford English Dictionary, meanwhile, has this to say:

chomp
Formerly only dial. and U.S.
Now a widespread variant of CHAMP v. (esp. in senses 1-3).

Draw your own conclusions.

Anyway -- enough with the pedantry. I'm pretty sure lengthy dictionary quotes are not the best way to endear myself to anyone in a first post. *grin*
post #44 of 67
What if the champ chomped at the bit to chomp into the ear of his heavyweight opponent and champ on said earlobe 'til it bled. Would the champ then be chomping at the bit to champ a bit?

BAD thread. Go stand in the corner and think about what you did!

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
post #45 of 67
Gosh, for the first time, I am REALLY beginning to get excited about this thing -- I actually can't believe I am getting swept up by this hype.......

CC at the ready for the 8GB! (Hope they don't run out).

post #46 of 67
Just read this over on Forbes (dot) com:
Quote:
Apple asked that the FCC keep certain diagrams and an operational description of the phone confidential for 45 days.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Just read this over on Forbes (dot) com:

No doubt that will be when the phone is released, or a couple of days after.

At that point, the phone will be taken apart anyway.
post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I also wonder if yesterday's hoax that caused the stock to drop was created by someone who knew about today's FCC approval. There was a spike up today and the difference between yesterday's low and today's high at the moment is over 6 bucks.

Precisely. Bud Fox (or Mr. Beaks) must have been staking out the FCC garbage can.
Gecko (or Mortimer Duke) was short, so he sent the fake memo so he could cover before
the official announcement goosed AAPL stock.
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Precisely. Bud Fox (or Mr. Beaks) must have been staking out the FCC garbage can.
Gecko (or Mortimer Duke) was short, so he sent the fake memo so he could cover before
the official announcement goosed AAPL stock.

I doubt it.
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I doubt it.

I doubt if you would recognize a facetious post if it sat on your face and spun around.
post #51 of 67
Quote:

Maybe you should go back and see who said it was June 11. I'm pretty sure there is no official announcement on the release date. It was just a rumored street date.

And as we know, when Apple announces that a product is shipping in a particular month, they mean the END of that month.

So I'm expecting Leopard on October 31.
post #52 of 67
Will the iPhone work in France while I visit since I live in the States??
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Will the iPhone work in France while I visit since I live in the States??

It should, check with AT&T for roaming agreements with telcos in France. At the minimum phone calls, voice mail, and SMS should work. Check for roaming settings for GPRS and EDGE (2.xG stuff)

Quote:

Down to the last fracking transistor. But good call, start your engines.... 30-45 days to go. Not long now.

Apple Stock had a nice suuurge towards the end of Thursday PM with this news. The nVidia2008 Analyst Institute of SuperIntelligentNeverWrongPerdictions is modelling at least AAPL $120 by June 10th. <borat>verrry naaaicceee, very naaice</borat>
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmckenzi View Post

UPDATE:

Okay, maybe I got my shorts in a knot too soon. I'm seeing chatter on other boards about the iPhone being quad-band, but that the FCC only tests North American frequencies -- thus, we only see the dual-band frequencies in the test data.

Gavin.

Nevermind the chatter on other boards... apple.com specifically states that it's quad-band.

See... you scared me into looking it up!... I kinda plan on having the thing work in Amsterdam! Thats the whole reason I went with Cingular a year ago... for the GSM service!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I doubt if you would recognize a facetious post if it sat on your face and spun around.

Not when you do it, apparently.

Since that very story is making the rounds, there is no reason to believe that you weren't taken in by it.
post #56 of 67
This disclaimer...

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

found on the bottom of Apple's iPhone web pages on www.apple.com/iphone/, wonder when it will be changed?\

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #57 of 67
Quote:

Unless it's been 'structurally bonded'.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Lothar,

"I'm so happy, I could kiss you on the nuts."

"You wanna sue me? MOD EDITED"
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

"You wanna sue me? MOD EDITED"

ecking, I'm not quite sure what context you were attempting to create with that quote, but I'm fairly sure it's not appropriate. Please don't use derogatory terms for folk based on sexual orientation. Thank you.

Also: Tolkien used the term champ in "The Hobbit"

Miyamoto used the term Chomp in Super Mario Bros. 3.

The question is - who had more geek fu?
Modding for Great Justice
Modding for Great Justice
post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw View Post

ecking, I'm not quite sure what context you were attempting to create with that quote, but I'm fairly sure it's not appropriate. Please don't use derogatory terms for folk based on sexual orientation. Thank you.

I think he was referring to where I got that quote: Henry Winkler in Arrested Development. He was the family's lawyer...
post #61 of 67
apple is making a cell phone?
post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

This disclaimer...

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

found on the bottom of Apple's iPhone web pages on www.apple.com/iphone/, wonder when it will be changed?\

Is that *text* required by the FCC, or is it just something to stop people from asking about it? I think the wording is pretty dumb, and the notice seems unnecessary. I think all that is necessary is a shorter notice saying that it's scheduled for release in June. I don't think anyone cares about the particulars of why or how.

I wonder if it's also going to get other regulatory certifications before release? Even if it's only sold in the US, I think the likelihood will be that a lot of them will be brought overseas, even just during tourism. I guess it can't be used unless it is sold as unlocked.
post #63 of 67
iPhone made top of the national morning news (re: FCC approval) this morning. When's the last time that happened for Motorola or Nokia. Wow.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #64 of 67
Quote:

Is that *text* required by the FCC, or is it just something to stop people from asking about it? I think the wording is pretty dumb, and the notice seems unnecessary. I think all that is necessary is a shorter notice saying that it's scheduled for release in June. I don't think anyone cares about the particulars of why or how.

I wonder if it's also going to get other regulatory certifications before release? Even if it's only sold in the US, I think the likelihood will be that a lot of them will be brought overseas, even just during tourism. I guess it can't be used unless it is sold as unlocked.

It's required.

It's similar to the disclaimer made in ads for financial institutions.
post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

iPhone made top of the national morning news (re: FCC approval) this morning. When's the last time that happened for Motorola or Nokia. Wow.

Don't be so impressed. When Moto had their first cell phone, there was just as much excitment.

Once Apple has 50 different models out at the same time, as the big cell manufacturers do, then no one will take notice of a new model from Apple either. Though there was plenty of press about the RaZR when if came out.
post #66 of 67
Quote:

I would like to answer you, but my mother would probably roll over in her grave. I have to be careful; my ancestry is made up of from two developed countries, one underdeveloped, one underdeveloped but claims to be highly developed, two races, three nationalities and three religions. My wife family adds a couple of other nationalities as does my son, but only one race and one religion.

Needless to say, I never work, too many holidays. Except that the government forces me to be an atheist in order to put food on the table. Sorry, bubbe.

I think you might have misunderstood me, I was making fun of George Bush, not Poland. During the presidential debates, he acted aghast when John Kerry didn't mention Poland when talking about the Iraq coalition. Bush asked really sarcastically "What about Poland?"
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

I think you might have misunderstood me, I was making fun of George Bush, not Poland. During the presidential debates, he acted aghast when John Kerry didn't mention Poland when talking about the Iraq coalition. Bush asked really sarcastically "What about Poland?"

Hi blue2kdave,
I didn't take you seriously or had any thoughts of malice of your part. In fact, I am rather amiss that I or my geopolitical class didn't associate your reference to Bush. Unfortunately, it is too late to change their marks.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › News Flash: Apple iPhone receives FCC approval