Originally Posted by sequitur
Has anyone had experience with VMware Fusion for Mac or CrossOver?
I tried VMWare briefly but it seemed slower than Parallels. Since I use Bootcamp, I put it and the drive image aside for possible future use.
Crossover was the first thing I tried and it is ok for the few apps it supports but its compatibility problems quickly get annoying. I tried about 20 or more different programs and I got about 3 or so to work properly. I honestly think its main purpose was to bring Half-Life 2 to Mac and Linux users because that's what it does best.
Overall, I did the following:
- installed Crossover, played Half-Life 2, struggled with getting most programs to work
- used Parallels for a while even using Photoshop while CS3 beta came out, seemed ok but not good enough for constant use IMO
- went to Bootcamp, seemed the best option so far besides the rebooting but I didn't mind much. Parallels messed up OS X I found after running a while
- tried VMWare, wasn't impressed with the performance but it seemed to not slow down the system as much as Parallels i.e. it was slow but the system was fine, Parallels was the other way round
- I haven't booted into Windows for about a month now but there are the odd programs I'd like to use without having to reboot or even use a VM for so I'm trying out the latest Crossover