or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Closing the book on Apple's Mac mini

Closing the book on Apple's Mac mini - Page 3

post #81 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

You also get Windows and a huge mass of trial software.

Here is what I dont get: sure it is annoing, but that crapware subsidises the cost of the PC...what is so damnd hard about going into add/remove programs and deleteing everything on the first boot up? Then just install what you want and defrag and you are golden...

Now-a-days it is a lot cheaper to do that than even to build.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #82 of 573
I think it would be great if apple brought out (along with the new iMac) a new Mini-mac that has the ability to connect to the AppleTV... More of a low-cost addon, really. I could see it being a low-profile slab that would fit under the AppleTV, with more USB ports, a bigger HD, an included wireless KB/Mouse, and maybe even a tuner (Ok... well, the tuner is just something I want... I'd like to see something in-house from apple that would be a TiVo killer).
post #83 of 573
As with any worthy cause I have gone to the trouble of creating a tremendous petition for all interested to sign:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/macminsa/petition.html

I left a field open for "Requested Upgrades" if you'd like to leave comment with your name concerning that.

Thanks!

Jason
JayCr.Sytes.Net < Yes, it's a url...
JayCr.Sytes.Net < Yes, it's a url...
post #84 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

The death of the Mini means Steve 0 for 2 on a cube/square design. At least his glass cube store worked out for him.

You forgot to count the NeXT Cube that makes it 0/3 for computer hardware or 2/6 if you count the iPod boxes fast user switching and the 5th ave store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Quote:

post #85 of 573
Updates the Mac mini needs are:

1 - Core 2 Duo
2 - 802.11b wireless
3 - GMA x3000

The x3000 isn't needed for surfing the web and answering email, but if Apple is going to have Bootcamp as part of Leopard so people can install Windows then having a graphics card that can handle DirectX 10 eliminates at least one argument for not getting a Mac mini.

If Apple is going to keep the current prices then bump the memory to 1GB.
post #86 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

You also get Windows and a huge mass of trial software.

Don't you mean "huge mess of trial software"?

I was waiting for a refresh in the mac mini line to replace my old g4 mini. Guess I'll have to wait to see how things pan out.
post #87 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

You ignore 2 improtant acronyms GPU, and HDD

I did not. I mentioned the drive. The GPU is the same on both the Mac Mini and the low end iMac.
post #88 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Updates the Mac mini needs are:

1 - Core 2 Duo
2 - 802.11b wireless
3 - GMA x3000

I think you mean 802.11n and GMA x3100.
post #89 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2 View Post

i think that your quite right the mini is dead

it would make sense to kill it and push apple tv.

if you look at all the push for it the Imac was always the one shown i think we'll see a great new imac and Jobs bury ~(wrongly) the mini........

black armbands alround on that day

I believe this to be true, my gut feeling noticed that the writing was on the wall. No real updates for a long while, no Core2Duo, and for a bit more you get an iMac, otherwise get a laptop.

Apple TV and iMac have essentially closed in on the Mac Mini. Rest in peace, oh headless experiment of Cupertinostein.

The new iMacs will be ultra slim and ultra teh sexay. MacBook latest Core2Duo looks ripe (as in good), despite 6-bitness. Expect to see major price drops to fend off Leopard holdouts around the back-to-school season. (August, September). Enough to close out the July-August-September quarter in style.

So Apple TV rocks on, MacBooks cruise through to September (decent price cuts in Asia for MacBooks), and iMac dropped just pre-order for shipping with Leopard (or Tiger shipping with new iMacs in September, in fact, I expect Leopard "promise" for all Macs shipped in September 2007.

MacBookPro around WWDC makes good sense for mobile developers, alongside full CS3 (AfterEffects and PremierePro) shipping, and FinalCutStudio2 hitting its stride. I suspect a bit of scrambling now to clean up this MacBookPro displays issue.
post #90 of 573
Of all the computers I've had, my minis are my all-time favourites. They're small, quiet, good-looking, reliable, and cheap by Apple standards. I'm just waiting for the next update before getting one for my Mom. The mini also helped two friends switch to the Mac, by simply being under $1000 and headless. I'd be sad to see it go.

And a hacked AppleTV is no substitute for an affordable Mac.
post #91 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jootec from Mars View Post

A headless Mac would bring many advantages. It would allow Apple to create a highly configurable machine that would suit many people and many price points - from the buyer after the cheap Mac with entry dual-core CPU, Integrated graphics, small hd, combo-drive etc to the serious gamer who wants a quad-core CPU, two dual-core top of the range GPU video cards, large hd, oodles of memory etc. Every body is happy.

They should call it the MaxiPod. The Apple logo would be red of course.

<curling up into a ball to await my beating...>
post #92 of 573
Well, I was speaking to someone just the other day, considering buying a Mac Mini as they can't afford an iMac. Currently they're using one of the original colorful (not bondi-blue) iMacs...
post #93 of 573
I wanted to buy a new computer for my mom who is far from computer savvy. I was looking at the mini as an option. However, I wanted a computer she could use for years to come, and I started thinking about all the upgrades, such as HDD and RAM, I would have to make to get the mini up to where I wanted it to be. As a result, I just ended up buying the 20" iMac for her.

I think the mini is a great idea though. It just needs to offer more but at around the same price.

I am thinking that perhaps it is just this version of the mini which is going away. I suspect we will see something new on the lower end. It'll just be a completely new design.

I am sure Apple still wants to remain big in education. Get the kids hooked early, and what computers are they going to want at home? In college? At work? That starter Mac needs to be inexpensive.
post #94 of 573
Aww thats too bad.
Quote:

Quote:

post #95 of 573
When I got an Epson 1800R that required OSX drivers, I added the first PPC Mini and a Gig of RAM. A Newer Technology Ministack now sits underneath for the extra ports and extra drive. That external firewire drive became the scratch disc for Photoshop. This year an external USB2 DVD writer really helps store big files. I know my Mini will never be top of the line. I believe in "pay as you grow."
post #96 of 573
The Mac mini is AWESOME. I hope the Mac mini is not dead or else Apple releases a new headless Mac model. Because otherwise it will be time to head for Windows or Linux at our University. Apple decides.
post #97 of 573
Was going to get one to do basic things from the TV. As others have said, they should take the Apple TV, make it 3X taller, and cram in the guts of the Mac Mini.

I think Apple is not giving the TV connection aspect enough credit - as HDMI/DVI increases, so to would market share.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
post #98 of 573
He/she must not own a Mac, and just watched the commercials. Macs come with trial software too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Here is what I dont get: sure it is annoing, but that crapware subsidises the cost of the PC...what is so damnd hard about going into add/remove programs and deleteing everything on the first boot up? Then just install what you want and defrag and you are golden...

Now-a-days it is a lot cheaper to do that than even to build.
post #99 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

You're confusing journalists who have web sites from people who happen to know how to type and have web sites. Macrumors goes one step worse and actually cites AppleInsider at its source.

It's a constant frustration for me too.

Now that's a bit harsh. I really appreciate the hard work of the Appleinsider staff. I think they provide a great service and deserve whatever money they are making off of this. I was just pointing out a possible improvement in style.
post #100 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I cannot take another mid size tower rumor. Please God, make it stop.

God can't make it stop, only The Steve can.
post #101 of 573
I hope they improve it and don't discontinue it. The mac mini was the first mac I owned long term and essentially switched me. I borrowed a friends ibook and loved it, made me want a mac. Then I bought a 20" imac g5 but money got tight for a short period and I had to sell it. Then I got my mini and even though I have a mbp now I still use it all the time, I love that thing and it's the only computer I'd never sell. In a few weeks it'll begin a life on whichever HDTV I get as a web surfer, download slave, and in general relaxo mac.

Apple my advice? When the macbook pro is updated, shove the baseline old ones innards into the mini. I'm talking core 2 duo 2ghz, x1600 128mbs, 1 gig(2 max) ram. At the current high end mini's price. That'd be worth it to a lot of people. You already have the components so you'd save money, and since the imac and mbp will no doubt be way past that in power by then you shouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes.

Make it:
2ghz core 2 duo
1gb ram (max 2)
120gb hd (bto up to 250gb)
ati x1600 128mb

I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat if it was like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #102 of 573
Word! I'm a PC user and purchased a MMini to see if all the OSX jazz was justified. Mmm, not so much -- however my MMini is a great little Media box for my bedroom. It has a very high wifey approval factor combined with the 32" lcd in our room. Ripping movies & tv shows on DVD w/ Handbrake for later viewing in FrontRow has been great. In that way I've found it superior to my other PCs.

Not so excited about the AppleTV. I'm really happy with the combo Ripper/dvr/media player functionality I've got in the MMini. If I'd bought an ATV with its playback-only functionality -- I'da prolly eBay'd it by now... The X360 downstairs already does that just fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikmk View Post

Actually probably just about any PC users, who won't pay for an iMac and don't want their monitor replaced. I fitted the profile about perfectly and several of my PC owning friends want one too. I'm also planning to buy more of them for work purposes (need more low-cost OSX machines for testing purposes), so I hope it's not true. The price point is really critical.
post #103 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It's interesting to note that AI is reporting that 1) the mac mini is going away and 2) that the 17" iMac is going away. It looks like they're clearing out room for a new product.

If those rumors become reality then it sure looks that way to me as well. Still it makes me nervous, especially because there isn't any rumors of a machine to take the place of the mini and 17" iMac.
post #104 of 573
I have an Intel Core Duo Mac Mini, and it rocks. Needed a desktop, but did not want a big loud box, and I already had a nice monitor (and keyboard and mouse), so I bought a refurb unit from Apple. It's been an awesome machine. Very small footprint, and most importantly for me, it is very quiet. But hey, I had a 12" Powerbook, too, so what do I know?
post #105 of 573
Make it big enough to use a 3.5" drive, have an internal power supply, and be reasonably easy to upgrade RAM/HDD, and that's all the tweaking to the basic form factor I need/want.
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
post #106 of 573
replace the mini with a mid tower with desktop parts and pci-e slot maybe even put on board video in it so apple can sell a low end one with out a video card but keep the slots to add one.
post #107 of 573
The Mac Mini needs to be updated to the same specs as the rumored MBPs

2.4GHz C2D
4GB Ram
GeForce 8400GT 512MB(Or whatever newer GPU)
200GB 5400rpm 2.5in HDD

This of course is the high end BTO Maxed out.. but still... Its a MBP without the Screen.

Then of course make the iMac with a 2.4Ghz Quad Core Etc, and Add the Screen to distinguish them apart.
Sergeant
United States Marine Corps
Semper Fi
Sergeant
United States Marine Corps
Semper Fi
post #108 of 573
Don't be shy! When you post, tell us what you really think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolie View Post

I will be the first to dance on the Mac Mini's grave, if/when it dies. As far as I'm concerned, it was the biggest rip-off in Apple's fleet of computers.

Consider this:

Mac minis were always underpowered when compared against competitor's PCs, and you always got less for the money. At any time, you can go on Dell or HP, and get a more powerful computer than Mac Mini, which INCLUDES a monitor (even if it's crap), and essentials like, I dunno, A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD??

Mac Mini is ridiculous. The highest end model is a pathetic Core Duo 1.8 Ghz, with 512gb RAM, and an 80gb HDD? How do those parts add up to a 799 dollar price tag? Were they charging for the form factor? A comparable 799 dollar PC comes with a bare minimum 1 gig of ram, a 160 gig hard disk, and a much faster CPU.

Apple should let Mac Mini die, or at least price it more responsibly. Or better yet, offer a headless mid-range desktop. iMacs are great, but I want my own choice of monitor. If they stick with the Mac Mini, they should make it more powerful (at least iMac amount of power), and give me a fairer price. I can stomach 799 if it's a Core 2 Duo, plenty of RAM, and a bare minimum 250 gig hard disk. Especially since no monitors or other peripherals are involved.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #109 of 573
I haven't read posts on this so I apoligize if what I said has already been said.

In my opinion, the mac mini should have come with a decidated graphics card (in fact, why can't Apple offer different memory options on it's computers that come with graphics cards? I hate the fact that we have to get (in most cases) what Apple offers).

The price was also too high. It should have been more like $400.00 to $500.00 with the option to choose between several different graphics cards. I would have bought one if this was the case.
post #110 of 573
I'm skeptical of this 'source.' The Mac mini is a pretty popular machine, lack of updates aside. I think the lack of updates is more related to the fact that its primary user base is not that focused on the capabilities of the machine.

If apple does discontinue the line, it's a good bet that they have something waiting to replace it.
post #111 of 573
If Apple is to seduce the Windows user, then the Mac Mini is definately not the best way to do so. Neither is AppleTV. Hardware is not gonna be the answer.

It's time for .mac to raise its game! This highly neglected and overpriced internet tool should come for free, open to all windows users and with all the features to be a worthy alternative to Facebook and the likes. There's no better way to give people a flavour of the Tiger/Leopard user experience.

Your .mac friends will be changing their contact details themselves, updating your Addressbook and iPhone automatically!!

Wake up Apple! You were late with Safari, now you are being late with the Web 2.0 experience
post #112 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

I was able to switch three families from PCs to Macs by taking them to Apple stores and pointing out the Mac Mini.

Ditto. In addition I switched one company from Windows 2003 Small Business Server to Mac OS X Server running on a Mac Mini. They even bought a second Mac Mini to run Parallels.

These machines are small and silent. Perfect for home and office. PLEEEEEEEEASE don't kill them!!!
post #113 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I cannot take another mid size tower rumor. Please God, make it stop.

It will never stop. Muhahahaha.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #114 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekivemark View Post

The Mac Mini is an incredibly versatile machine. Ih an external firewire drive as a server for about 2 years now. It has been a solid dependable machine. It's small size makes it easy to hide (perfect as a server). I use it to store the family music and photo collections.

As Laptops become dominant there is an increasing role for a home server. This is a market Microsoft has recognized and is targeting. Having a machine as a central shared device for the family is really useful, especially when storage space on laptops continues to be an issue. The AppleTV is not this central shared device. It is a semi-dumb peripheral. That makes sense in Apples Digital media strategy. However, I contend that their is an emerging role for a home server that can store our digital lifestyle artifacts and allow them to be shared amongst household members.

Come on Apple, keep the Mini and beef up this shared capability. AppleTV provides a great digital media peripheral that allows you to liberate your media to the big screen. Now let's see some developments to allow the centralization and sharing of shared albums.

I want features in iTunes and iPhoto that allow me to seamlessly break my library in to multiple locations. ie. Have a core of music on my laptop, have a mush larger family library on a shared machine and be able to sync them both seamlessly to my iPod. This is doable now with some behind the scenes file sharing but Apple could do a much better job if they set their minds to the challenge.

You know there's this wonderful technology called Networked Attached Storage, the Airport Extreme comes with exactly that.

But if you have a Mini doing exactly this already, just continue to use it, and if you don't have a Mini to do this, then pick one up before it's dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman4d2 View Post

big mistake,this was the best media center ever... now you would have to buy a pro mac and or something else to serve or stream your dvds to the living room. through apple tv that sucks!

or rip them, who has time for that i DONT,great now i am going to have to be some crappy PC for the living room. PHUK!!!!!!!

with a mac mini it was easy and cheap,bad move apple!

lets start a petition!!!!!!

Read above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

Perhaps someone would be so kind as to provide sales figures for the Mini in relation to the other macs. Let's see just how bad the figures are.

The death of the Mini means Steve 0 for 2 on a cube/square design. At least his glass cube store worked out for him.

I think the Mini and the 17" iMac are the worst selling... I can't remember though. If you're interested try looking on Amazon.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
post #115 of 573
Well that sucks (if its true).

I've used a number of minis over the last few years as web and file servers. They're really convenient because they're completely silent and take up to no floor space.

Bummer.
post #116 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I think the Mini and the 17" iMac are the worst selling... I can't remember though. If you're interested try looking on Amazon.

Over at Amazon, among the iMacs, the 17" Super Drive model seems to be doing well, the combo drive model not so much.

It appears to go:

20" iMac (best-selling of the iMacs, and in the Top 10 at Amazon)
17" iMac Superdrive (doing well, in Top 20)
24" iMac (doing not so well, out of the Top 100)
17" iMac Combo drive (worst-selling of the iMacs)

That's just among the iMacs that were offering rebates.

Surprisingly, (or perhaps not so) the $599 Mac Mini appears to be selling quite WELL over at Amazon, and is #15 as of this writing, ahead of all the iMacs except the 20".

The $799 Mac Mini is doing less well, but is still in the Top 50. Perhaps the Mac Mini is not quite the sales 'dud' that some folks think it is? \

Of course, the MacBooks and MacBook Pros dominate the Amazon Top 10, but even so, the Mac Mini appears to be more than holding its own.

post #117 of 573
Well, I'm a bit late to the party, but here goes:

1.) Contrary to most people who've commented on it, I loved the article. Yes, when I saw the headline, I thought it was actual "news", but a quick check of Apple's site indicated that it wasn't. I enjoyed reading it.

2.) I really, really, really hope that the article is right; with the caveat that only if the Mini is then replaced with the fabled mini/micro-tower xMac: Desktop CPU, desktop RAM, two PCIe slots, two HDD bays, one optical drive bay. The motherboard can have integrated graphics on it to keep the entry-level price down.

3.) it's == it is; its == belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #118 of 573
Putting a laptop sized hard drive in the mini was the biggest mistake. This limited its overall storage capacity. If you want external storage though, why buy a mini when you can buy an external hard drive (network drive or hook it up to AirPort extreme) with tripple the capacity for half the price? The mini was never an attractive computer except given that the iMac represented a better value package. If you wanted to buy a 20" or 23" display, it was really too underpowered to drive it well given the crappy video.

WHEN WILL APPLE LEARN THEY NEED A SUB MAC PRO!!! Half the size and storage/ram capability, a good single or dual core 2 duo with a decent video card. People have been demanding this for ages! C'mon Apple. Who cares if it hurts Mac Pro and iMac sales if you sell a ton of these!!!
post #119 of 573
Putting a laptop sized hard drive in the mini was the biggest mistake. This limited its overall storage capacity. If you want external storage though, why buy a mini when you can buy an external hard drive (network drive or hook it up to AirPort extreme) with tripple the capacity for half the price? The mini was never an attractive computer given that the iMac represented a better value package. If you wanted to buy a 20" or 23" display, it was really too underpowered to drive it well given the crappy video.

WHEN WILL APPLE LEARN THEY NEED A SUB MAC PRO!!! Half the size and storage/ram capability, a good single or dual core 2 duo with a decent (removeable) video card. People have been demanding this for ages! C'mon Apple. Who cares if it hurts Mac Pro and iMac sales if you sell a ton of these!!![/QUOTE]
post #120 of 573
sorry for double post
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Closing the book on Apple's Mac mini