or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Get off my lawn!

Get off my lawn!

post #1 of 18
No Free Love for you!

Quote:
Evans, 64, says they should get help, clean up or go home.

"I used to be a hippie. I wore beads and grew my hair long," he said. "But my generation had something these kids do not: a standard of civilized behavior."

Perhaps they lost it gramps when you were destroying the greatest economy on the planet in the name of free love.

Quote:
"I'm sick of stepping over gangs of kids, only to be told 'Die, yuppie!' A lot of us were flower children, but we grew up," said Robert Shadoian, 58, a retired family therapist. "There are responsibilities in this world you have to meet. You can't be drugged out 24/7 and expect the world to take care of you."

I think the information right here explains most of this. The man is 58, retired as a family therapist and is sick of dealing with the resulting broken families he and his generation created, earned a retirement attempting to treat, and now realize won't go away.

Free love isn't so free now is it.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 18
Psssst.....Nick...... the 60s were 40 years ago. If family therapist man is stepping over mouthy kids, they're the grandchildren of "hippies".

Personal responsibility and all that, remember? If you have a beef take it up with todays dissolute teens.

Oh, that's right: the terrible scourge of hippydom is still abroad in the land. Every time a Cindy Sheehan speaks up, every time there's protest against our presence in Iraq, in fact, pretty much every time anyone goes against right wing orthodoxy you can bet your life the dirty fingerprints of a dirty, smelly, free-lovin' hippy are all over it.

Hippy Derangement Syndrome is a huge problem in America today, rendering big swaths of our discourse into coded loathing for a fantasy figure of leftist excess.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #3 of 18
Did you get up on the wrong side of the reality sphere?

These poor kids are truly lazy, cultural misfits. They think they can relive the '60's just as the Faux Punkers I see in Philly want to repeat the London Punk scene. This has nothing to do with the Hippy culture, but the recycled one created by VH1. Believe me, my boss lived in Haight-Ashbury and it was the affluent who pranced around. The ones who migrated (I'm sure their ignorant [Silent Majority] parents were no help) there either pan-handled, fell through the cracks or died too. Seems like another Urban cycle of despair.

But you overlook the good in that story didn't you?

Quote:
"It sounded good. I was idealistic," she said. "I believed the '60s attitude, when people were intentionally kind to each other."

What she found when she arrived in 1999 was decidedly different. The only people who were kind to her were other homeless people.

For years, she bought and sold drugs, using so much heroin that her health began to fail.

She felt invisible. "When you're a kid on the street, people don't see you, they don't acknowledge you," she said. "The only connection you have is with other homeless kids. No matter how tired, hungry or lonely you are, people just pass you by."

Now 25, Thibault works at the Homeless Youth Alliance, a storefront outreach center that offers a no-questions-asked refuge from the streets.

She greets drop-ins, some suffering from hacking coughs, others reeking from days without bathing. The street kids raid the center's refrigerator like college students home on spring break. One recent day, a teen devoured a bowl of cereal with a Swiss Army knife spoon as others dozed on couches.

With her tattoos and pierced nose, Thibault looks like a regular which she once was.

When she got clean, she wanted to give something back to the place she says helped her get off the street. Her approach to clients: play the role of a friend, not counselor. "We don't tell people to get a job," she said. "But we offer them tools to do it."

And she'll grow old, and the youth in her twilight years will probably be a pain in the ass too. The cycle continues...you are putting labels on something that has none. This is happening all over the world.
post #4 of 18
Let's go easy on Trumpt and the rest of the posse.... if they had been around in the 60's they would have been probably the only guys who were so straight they couldn't get laid.

This is his time now - probably for the only time in human civilization from Cro-Magnon cave-dwellers to billlions of years in the future (if we last that long), uptight right-wing conservatives are actually cool and not laughed at with derision.

We should let them milk it for all it's worth - we all have our 15 minutes and theirs is but a nanosecond......
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #5 of 18
The homeless in sf are a lot more in your face and aggressive than the ones i've seen elsewhere (like nyc). In ny, i get maybe 1 homeless cigarette request every couple of weeks. I was in sf for about 7 days, not so long ago, and i wouldn't be surprised if it was every other hour some bum'd hit me up. And they don't all take "no" for an answer. i usually tune out when they start their "but my family is starving and ..." story. Most get a clue, realize i'm a heartless oaf who isn't paying attn, and walk away. One guy in particular kept it up, and wouldn't leave. So I give in and say, "ok, wtf do u want?" a cigarette of course. He pulls it from the box, drops it, "accidentally," very deliberately steps on it (uttering, "oops"), puts it in his pocket, and requests another "cuz u can't smoke em off the ground" and "geez, man. i flew in korean war." I know he was a shyster cuz he hung around my hotel and did the same thing the next night to someone else.

i have very little respect for sf vagrants.
post #6 of 18
Newsflash!
An Older Generation Thinks The Younger Generations Are Immoral!
Extra! Extra! READ ALL ABOUT IT!
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #7 of 18
Liberals hate love, and families, and children and...most of all...freedom.

So I'm not so sure what this thread's purpose is.

Oh, that would be about "political discourse" in America today. Well, our Republican friends know all about it. I'm sure we can be enlightened.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Psssst.....Nick...... the 60s were 40 years ago. If family therapist man is stepping over mouthy kids, they're the grandchildren of "hippies".

I didn't say they were his children. I said the broken families that created these children were the result of the broken families he and his generation created.

Quote:
Personal responsibility and all that, remember? If you have a beef take it up with todays dissolute teens.

Yes, but again, the people who claim free love, shared prosperity, community responsibility, etc. don't hold that view. At least they don't until it is in their backyard, driveway or 10,000 sq. ft. mansion at which time they sound just like Republicans.

Quote:
Oh, that's right: the terrible scourge of hippydom is still abroad in the land. Every time a Cindy Sheehan speaks up, every time there's protest against our presence in Iraq, in fact, pretty much every time anyone goes against right wing orthodoxy you can bet your life the dirty fingerprints of a dirty, smelly, free-lovin' hippy are all over it.

I think you have a few derangements of your own to consider because I have not mentioned any of the very strange connections you made there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Did you get up on the wrong side of the reality sphere?

These poor kids are truly lazy, cultural misfits. They think they can relive the '60's just as the Faux Punkers I see in Philly want to repeat the London Punk scene. This has nothing to do with the Hippy culture, but the recycled one created by VH1. Believe me, my boss lived in Haight-Ashbury and it was the affluent who pranced around. The ones who migrated (I'm sure their ignorant [Silent Majority] parents were no help) there either pan-handled, fell through the cracks or died too. Seems like another Urban cycle of despair.

But you overlook the good in that story didn't you?

And she'll grow old, and the youth in her twilight years will probably be a pain in the ass too. The cycle continues...you are putting labels on something that has none. This is happening all over the world.

The very big difference this time is that the generation growing old, doing the judging and falling prey to what every generation on this earth has done, happens to be the largest in history, and also happens to have bankrupted the future by not investing and actually stealing from it, and then on top of it will expect these "lazy, cultural misfits" to somehow pay for their ridiculously high Social Security and Medicare obligations that they created for themselves, but did not feel obligated to pay for. The Boomers have to be the only generation in history to steal from both their parents, their children and their grandchildren.

She won't grow old and label the youth in her twilight years as a pain in the ass too. She'll be too busy paying an 85% income tax rate to give these rat bastards their prescription drugs to have children of her own.

The boomers were too selfish to have enough children to maintain the population. Their now letting in immigrants in some desperate hope that they will fund the future obligations. Only million dollar home grandpa wants his Social Security funded by the lawn man, and we all know what he pays the lawn man.

Nick

post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I didn't say they were his children. I said the broken families that created these children were the result of the broken families he and his generation created.

Yes, but again, the people who claim free love, shared prosperity, community responsibility, etc. don't hold that view. At least they don't until it is in their backyard, driveway or 10,000 sq. ft. mansion at which time they sound just like Republicans.

I think you have a few derangements of your own to consider because I have not mentioned any of the very strange connections you made there.

The very big difference this time is that the generation growing old, doing the judging and falling prey to what every generation on this earth has done, happens to be the largest in history, and also happens to have bankrupted the future by not investing and actually stealing from it, and then on top of it will expect these "lazy, cultural misfits" to somehow pay for their ridiculously high Social Security and Medicare obligations that they created for themselves, but did not feel obligated to pay for. The Boomers have to be the only generation in history to steal from both their parents, their children and their grandchildren.

She won't grow old and label the youth in her twilight years as a pain in the ass too. She'll be too busy paying an 85% income tax rate to give these rat bastards their prescription drugs to have children of her own.

The boomers were too selfish to have enough children to maintain the population. Their now letting in immigrants in some desperate hope that they will fund the future obligations. Only million dollar home grandpa wants his Social Security funded by the lawn man, and we all know what he pays the lawn man.

Nick

At least according to James Burke in his upcoming BBC series Connections: The Boomer Generation (aka How Jesus made Boomers cause all of AmeriKKa's societal ills!)!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak View Post

i have very little respect for sf vagrants.

A considerable percentage of the homeless in San Francisco (and many other US cities) are former combat veterans from Vietnam and other wars. Many of these people are physically and mentally impaired from PTSD, Gulf War Syndrome and whatever other ailments and disabilities one cares to mention. Having risked their lives for the corporations who benefit from these series of wars, they are abandoned by the country they were "informed" that they were serving, and left to wander the streets, a bunch of discarded souls who resort to alcohol and other drugs to deaden the mental and physical pain. It's hardly a surprise that they can be aggressive and "get in our faces". As a society, we would rather ignore these spent humans; we tend to turn up our noses at these unfortunates, who once were heroes, and now just considered an unsightly inconvenience which gets in the way as we go about our comfortable downtown shopping routine.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #11 of 18
The current 20-somethings have outdone their parents. Their parents were the original "ME" generation. We are now seeing the fruits of those 60s kids... 2007's new-college-grad "Adults" who believe deep down that the world owes them something... everything.

And BTW, adda, a guy in college in 1969 who had kids in his late 20s would find them graduating from college in the last few years. So it could be either.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

A considerable percentage of the homeless in San Francisco (and many other US cities) are former combat veterans from Vietnam and other wars. Many of these people are physically and mentally impaired from PTSD, Gulf War Syndrome and whatever other ailments and disabilities one cares to mention. Having risked their lives for the corporations who benefit from these series of wars, they are abandoned by the country they were "informed" that they were serving, and left to wander the streets, a bunch of discarded souls who resort to alcohol and other drugs to deaden the mental and physical pain. It's hardly a surprise that they can be aggressive and "get in our faces". As a society, we would rather ignore these spent humans; we tend to turn up our noses at these unfortunates, who once were heroes, and now just considered an unsightly inconvenience which gets in the way as we go about our comfortable downtown shopping routine.

Yeah yeah, I know. They are in a horrible position. But I'm a liberal, damnit. Can't the government throw some money at this? Boomers' great-great grandchildren have some credit we can borrow against, right? Or up the taxes a bit; I don't mind.
post #13 of 18
Quote:

Yeah yeah, I know. They are in a horrible position. But I'm a liberal, damnit. Can't the government throw some money at this? Boomers' great-great grandchildren have some credit we can borrow against, right? Or up the taxes a bit; I don't mind.

"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

No Free Love for you!

No one wants to point out that the very reason that some of these kids are on the street in the H-A is due to the parenting or lack thereof given by the generation who made it a destination in the first place. It's a CYCLE, ya see. And it works for more than poverty.

The best line from the piece, one I look forward to stealing, is "compassion fatigue."
Sign me up for that list.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #15 of 18
Quote:

How often does "throwing money at a problem" solve it? Usually, most of the money doesn't end up where it was intended ... ya know...that human nature thing gets in the way. For example... we've just thrown $450,000,000,000 into Iraq over a 4 year period and things are n times WORSE than when Saddam was there, for everyone except corporations close to the Bush Administration.

Back to the homeless... I have no idea how to solve this problem, and nobody in local, state, or federal government seems to have either any ideas, or even care. More energy is put into policing... ie banning the homeless from parks and other public spaces ie.. trying to bury the problem, keep it out of the public awareness. When it comes to our attitude towards them, I am just like most people out there, in that I won't give them money because the chances are it will be used to buy drugs or the next bottle of hard liquor ... As a society, it seems we are embarassed to acknowledge this large and growing problem.

Clues anyone?
post #16 of 18
OK, so if a current generation of variously fucked up people (homeless wretches or college grads who think the world owes them something, I'm having trouble telling) are the result of their parents, what accounts for the parents?

I'm going to have to go with those miserable shit heads that fought WWII, came back and started knocking out kids in suburbia.

Right? They must have been totally shitty parents, to have raised up such a bunch of brats who raised up such a bunch of brats.

But now I'm wondering what damaged the people that damaged the people that damaged the people who are getting underfoot.....
post #17 of 18
Oh, if we'd just let them sell hash at the Phish concerts like they want to without getting all over their backs, this wouldn't be a problem.

Libertarian!
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

How often does "throwing money at a problem" solve it? Usually, most of the money doesn't end up where it was intended ... ya know...that human nature thing gets in the way. For example... we've just thrown $450,000,000,000 into Iraq over a 4 year period and things are n times WORSE than when Saddam was there, for everyone except corporations close to the Bush Administration.

Back to the homeless... I have no idea how to solve this problem, and nobody in local, state, or federal government seems to have either any ideas, or even care. More energy is put into policing... ie banning the homeless from parks and other public spaces ie.. trying to bury the problem, keep it out of the public awareness. When it comes to our attitude towards them, I am just like most people out there, in that I won't give them money because the chances are it will be used to buy drugs or the next bottle of hard liquor ... As a society, it seems we are embarassed to acknowledge this large and growing problem.

Clues anyone?

Chance, Change, got any Change?

Quote:
In the city, city of Venice! Right by Matt's house, you can chill if you're homeless!

\
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Get off my lawn!