or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple launches iTunes Plus alongside iTunes 7.2 release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple launches iTunes Plus alongside iTunes 7.2 release - Page 2

post #41 of 66
Here's another problem. Many of the songs I have that are now available as iTunes Plus selections do not show up in the "Upgrade My Library" list. I've seen a couple other people mention this but I'll bet it's happening to a lot more people and they just haven't noticed.

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #42 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMoses View Post

Did anyone notice in the release notes that this version of iTunes is compatible with Windows Vista FINALLY? It's about time!

So it's taken them 4 months to do a proper vista version. Intel Macs have been out for over a year, and we're still waiting for Intel native Office for Macs........

Has anyone else found that not all their EMI tracks are available yet? For example, Gorillaz singles are available, but not the albums (especially strange as the Albarn's new band played at the press conference)!

PS: Anyone who thought this was a bad idea, especially recording industry whores, need only witness the overload on the iTs today!
post #43 of 66
I was wondering about this before I saw it:
"iTunes will also provide customers a a simple, one-click option that will allow them to easily upgrade their library of previously purchased EMI content to iTunes Plus tracks for just 30 cents a song and $3.00 for most albums."

That is really cool that you can upgrade. And to those thinking Apple raised the prices and are pocketing the .30 per song, you're wrong. Blame the RIAA and record companies for the increase. I'm sure Apple may get a piece of that .30 but they also now have to have more storage and more bandwidth for the bigger files. I say it's a VERY fair trade to use my tracks when I want, how I want, and on as many computers as I want. I go through computers at least every 3-6 months. I have tracks I purchased through iTMS that I can't use any more because I've connected them to too many computers, and they can't be reset any more. It is the #1 reason I won't purchase from iTMS any more. Once more electronic and punk songs go 256 mp3, I'll be buying from iTMS again.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #44 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMoses View Post

Did anyone notice in the release notes that this version of iTunes is compatible with Windows Vista FINALLY? It's about time!

Compatibility occurred when Microsoft finally released its fix for Windows Vista.

But nonetheless, this is the first iTunes release since Microsoft's fix.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins

I think you can upgrade individual songs, by clicking on the 'plus' sign next to the individual song upgrade price (in the US, '$0.30').

However, its difficult to tell, because whenever I do so, I get a 'the iTunes Store could not complete your request, try again later' message. It could be that the servers are overloaded, it could be that its not an option... probably the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What you're saying conforms to what I remember, so I'm sure you're right about it being able to do that.

I can't believe Apple would require one to upgrade all of them at once.

I'm actually going to disavow by previous assumption. I was finally able to click on that 'plus' sign and get it do something, and all it does is take you to a page that explains a little bit about iTunes Plus and lets you change your preferences so you always see the iTunes Plus version of available songs and albums.

I see no option yet that allows you to upgrade individual songs and albums yet, only all the songs in your Library that can be upgraded, en masse. W-T-F Apple???

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #46 of 66
Your comments: hmm, for some reason the albums are cheaper in iTunes Plus mode.

$7.99 for 13 songs at $1.29

seems like they're missing $8.78...



anybody else get this?
post #47 of 66
Is it just Canadians who have to pay more for a DRM-free album, or did other countries (like the UK) also get hit?
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly View Post

Your comments: hmm, for some reason the albums are cheaper in iTunes Plus mode.

$7.99 for 13 songs at $1.29

seems like they're missing $8.78...



anybody else get this?

The price of the album (at least in the US) is supposed to be the same as the old price, $9.99 for most albums.
post #49 of 66
The site is just too error-prone for me to use right now. When I signed up for my iTunes account, it gave me an error message but sent me an email that my account was registered.

All searches return nothing, even artists that I know for sure are with EMI.

GRRRR!
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

The site is just too error-prone for me to use right now. When I signed up for my iTunes account, it gave me an error message but sent me an email that my account was registered.

All searches return nothing, even artists that I know for sure are with EMI.

GRRRR!

Check the "quick links" box in the upper right corner of the iTunes "home" screen. The bottom item in that box should be "iTunes Plus", which links you to iTP and should give you an offer to upgrade your current purchases, if they qualify.
post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Check the "quick links" box in the upper right corner of the iTunes "home" screen. The bottom item in that box should be "iTunes Plus", which links you to iTP and should give you an offer to upgrade your current purchases, if they qualify.

I've never bought anything from the store before. I refuse to pay for DRM. The only reason I'm at the store is because they're offering DRM-free music and I want to try it out. I'm looking to make new purchases.

I've updated to iTunes 7.2. The impression I get is the site is too overwhelmed for searches to work properly. If I can't search, I can't buy.
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I've updated to iTunes 7.2. The impression I get is the site is too overwhelmed for searches to work properly. If I can't search, I can't buy.

It's true that the site is probably too busy for some people, but that section I told you about shows you their selection of DRM free tunes.

Advanced search does have a checkbox that limits it to only show results with iTP tracks.
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Check the "quick links" box in the upper right corner of the iTunes "home" screen. The bottom item in that box should be "iTunes Plus", which links you to iTP and should give you an offer to upgrade your current purchases, if they qualify.

The problem is that feature isn't working correctly either. I've got a bunch of songs that are now being offered for $1.29 as iTunes Plus tracks but they are not showing up in the Upgrade My Library section. It only showed 8 out of 17 tracks all of which are eligible.

Don't assume that it is upgrading all the tracks it should be as it's not detecting all of them for some reason. Must be some glitch with the store as it goes off the purchase history.

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

but that section I told you about shows you their selection of DRM free tunes.

Actually, it only shows a selection of the DRM free tunes, not all of them. I'm very annoyed that there's no way to get the store to show you only iTunes Plus tracks and nothing else. It'd make browsing for DRM free stuff a lot easier.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Actually, it only shows a selection of the DRM free tunes, not all of them. I'm very annoyed that there's no way to get the store to show you only iTunes Plus tracks and nothing else. It'd make browsing for DRM free stuff a lot easier.

Agreed!

Even though I couldn't really find anything in their list that I like, but I an buying a song anywa just to show my support, except it is SOOOO SLOW and keeps erroring out!

I hope these problems are due to heavy traffic and not internal problems

WOW! 56 hrs to DL a 14MB song!
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I've never bought anything from the store before. I refuse to pay for DRM. The only reason I'm at the store is because they're offering DRM-free music and I want to try it out. I'm looking to make new purchases.
I've updated to iTunes 7.2. The impression I get is the site is too overwhelmed for searches to work properly. If I can't search, I can't buy.

You're probably right. My co-worker said he didn't know what the fuss was about, but promptly began upgrading his music on his laptop, the moment his iTunes updated. I've upgraded my Corrine Bailey Rae for $2.40, and one track of Coldplay. I found myself forgetting that some of the albums I most wanted to upgrade weren't available. I'm going to be comparing the sound fidelity this evening to hear what I was missing... or if my hearing is unfortunately lacking.

Here is a DIRECT LINK to the iTunes Plus area.
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/...iTunesPlusPage
EDIT: How odd, that link ONLY works inside of iTunes. No remote linking... at least not yet. How queer.

I found this amusing though... someone at Apple was in a rush and put a TYPO in the dialog box. I mean, come on... is that really a permanant part of the software now until the next update? Yikes. "or music video WHENVEVER". (Snicker)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Ok, ok... I find this interesting too... Steve's comments on All Things Digital. My new favorite quote.

[CENTER]
"We've got cards and
letters from lots of people that say
iTunes is their favorite app on Windows.
It's like giving a glass of ice water to
someone in Hell!" ~ Steve Jobs, "All Things D"[/CENTER]
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Actually, it only shows a selection of the DRM free tunes, not all of them. I'm very annoyed that there's no way to get the store to show you only iTunes Plus tracks and nothing else. It'd make browsing for DRM free stuff a lot easier.

There was a time when I was suggesting they just make it a separate store and call it iTunes Open. My feeling is that people might not want to even MIX what is available DRM-free with what's avail WITH DRM. As it stands, I agree... that's a shame. There's not even a power-search for it... whoops. Hang on. I didn't notice this...

[CENTER][/CENTER]

I just clicked on "PowerSearch" from the homepage, and there's an extra checkbox after I've clicked specifically to filter for "music". I think that works (that, along with the "iTunes Plus" button on the homepage under "Quicklinks" on the right.)
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

At 1.29 it costs more to download a full album than it does to buy the CD which is DRM free.

No, it doesn't, at least in the US. If you buy the full album, you pay the same price as you would have before.

Quote:
Who is asking for price reductions? I would guess the 62 millions still using services like Limwire to download.

I wouldn't count music thieves as a target market for paid music. How many of them would really pay anything at all?
post #59 of 66
One question , when I upgrade to iTunes 7.2 , I noticed that I have to enter my account name and password every time I open the application . Is there any way that I won't have to do that step every time I use iTunes ?
post #60 of 66
Quote:
=extremeskater;1088333
Who is asking for price reductions? I would guess the 62 millions still using services like Limwire to download.

So you think that thieves should have their desires taken into account?
post #61 of 66
Sweden store's acting weird. Yesterday the Upgrade service showed an album and a couple of songs available for upgrade (Röyksopp among others, ironically shown shown as a Plus download further down the Plus page...) and when I chose to upgrade I got the error message about the store not currently being available. Probably being hammered I thought and opted to try again later. When I tried again I got the same error message as the guy from UK above about how the content had "moved" or some such thing.

Now the Upgrade things shows my library as already upgraded/up to date... Ok, ok so it's only been out a day, but since I acutally saw my albums available in the upgrade option just to disappear after I tried to upgrade makes me paranoid. Hope it'll go away as the traffic goes down but from previous experiences it usually comes down to alot of e-mailing to the support staff... \
post #62 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

My point is DRM free music should not be sold at a premium price.

Unfortunately, that's the price of getting the major labels on board, and they have 70% of all music in their catalogs.

They want variable pricing, and Apple's willing to give it to them, if they're willing to go DRM-free in return. Real world, real compromises.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #63 of 66
Now I'm looking forward for iTunes Plus+ with DRM-free Apple Lossless songs...
post #64 of 66
The Inquirer has an article up asserting that all iTunes plus tracks have a large amount of user info imbedded in the track, including itunes account info.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39957

Has anybody had a look at one of these files to confirm this? Seems like a dodgy assertion to me, but I just read it five minutes ago, so I really know nothing.

Edit: Looks like histrionics. Your username & email has been in ITMS purchases since the beginning. Not sure if there's a way to strip it, or alter it, but I'd imagine so.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply
post #65 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris v View Post

The Inquirer has an article up asserting that all iTunes plus tracks have a large amount of user info imbedded in the track, including itunes account info.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39957

Has anybody had a look at one of these files to confirm this? Seems like a dodgy assertion to me, but I just read it five minutes ago, so I really know nothing.

Edit: Looks like histrionics. Your username & email has been in ITMS purchases since the beginning. Not sure if there's a way to strip it, or alter it, but I'd imagine so.

It is at least somewhat true, though I expected the Inquirer to blow it out of proportion because that's what they do. On this week's sample, my user name and email is in the file. If you reencode it, it's gone. I'm sure there will be some stripper that removes this information without requiring a re-encode.
post #66 of 66
you don't need DRM
just burn the songs to a rewritable cd-rom as aiff-audio cd
and import them again, and gone is the DRM

Aart
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple launches iTunes Plus alongside iTunes 7.2 release