or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Personal genome sequencing

Personal genome sequencing

post #1 of 18
In an act signaling the start of the race to make personalized medicine a reality, the Nobel Prize-winning scientist who co-discovered DNA's structure (James Watson) has become the first person to have his genetic blueprint sequenced and made public.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4853118.html

Using streamlined 454 sequencing technology, the genome of Dr James Watson has been sequences in only a few months time. The original human genome-sequencing project took many years and a lot more money. We are entering a new era in genomic medicine where it will not be uncommon for an individual to have his or her genome sequenced. The benefits are many: knowledge of genetic predispositions, genetic guidance to preventive care and disease treatment and the compilation of much more data for researchers studying the genetics of disease.

This direction is not without ethical concerns including: the ability of non-scientists to understand enough genetics to grant informed consent, guidelines for sharing and withholding information from subjects and for keeping the information confidential to avoid discrimination by employers, insurance companies and others.

This is still not practically available to you and I, but it is coming. Personalized genome sequencing will be a major component of medicine in the near future. What do you thing? Do you want your sequence?
"some catch on faster than others"
post #2 of 18
it was inevitable. I would want my genome sequenced, yes.

the problem is that medicine isn't in most cases able to use sequence data for any practical application. in fact, by comparison most medical diagnoses and treatments are neolithic. most diseases aren't the result of one gene or genetic cluster. it will take at least another generation of excellent and unencumbered science to truly be able to model the likely diseases states of a person with a previously unknown genome.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #3 of 18
Yes HHH, but by sequencing more full genomes we will begin to generate the kinds of data sets needed to understand the genetic environments prone to disease, Indeed, much disease results from rearrangements (deletions, inversions, duplications, expansions and so on). More (many more) full genomes, along with solid diagnosis in the clinic, (the clinker in my opinion) will be very informative.
post #4 of 18
I guess we made God in our own image, in the future we will be able to make ourselves in our own image!

Talk about profiling and paradoxes!

But I think it will take a tremendous database of DNA sequences, perhaps into the millions, before most genetic "disorders" are confidently codified.

Scary stuff, if we don't tread softly.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #5 of 18
When talking about the potential for discrimination, Watson made a comment something like this,” I don't think it will cause discrimination, but it might explain some of it". Not sure what to make of that Then again I am seldom sure what to make of much of what he says (this will make sense to those who have heard him speak))
post #6 of 18

post #7 of 18
Some additional information, as this has quite a bit to do with X Prize.

http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com...-for-genomics/

I'd guess we're 5 to 10 years form the $1000 dollar genome.

Like hardeeharhar said, there's a tremendous amount of epidemiologic and basic science research to be done. Eventually personalized medicine will be upon us, but it will be some time as things advance slowly along.

I can't remember right now, but I feel like someone important once said something along the lines that advances like theese are always overhyped in the short term, and unerestimated in the long term.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Some additional information, as this has quite a bit to do with X Prize.

http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com...-for-genomics/

I'd guess we're 5 to 10 years form the $1000 dollar genome.

Like hardeeharhar said, there's a tremendous amount of epidemiologic and basic science research to be done. Eventually personalized medicine will be upon us, but it will be some time as things advance slowly along.

I can't remember right now, but I feel like someone important once said something along the lines that advances like theese are always overhyped in the short term, and unerestimated in the long term.

Indeed. I do think that getting information on multiple whole (near whole) genomes will be very powerful. Sequencing genes is not enough. We need the stuff in between, much of which is transcribed.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

I like indeed...

That should be made into a t-shirt.
post #10 of 18
And once again, not-gratingly-reductionist-Southside overpowers gratingly-reductionist-Southside, ties him up, and seizes control of the computer. The epic battle continues.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #11 of 18
post #12 of 18
... we can finally prove that Bush is one of the Babylonian Brotherhood. He's a reptile, you see.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #13 of 18
So, how long until the Genetic Discrimination Laws are on the books?

Oops, too late!!
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

So, how long until the Genetic Discrimination Laws are on the books?

Oops, too late!!

Yes, it is in progress
post #15 of 18
Attachment 144

One for the photo album.
LL
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

... we can finally prove that Bush is one of the Babylonian Brotherhood. He's a reptile, you see.

I for one welcome the Reptilian Overlords...

post #17 of 18
Edit: Missed the V reference!!

The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Attachment 144

One for the photo album.

Interesting. So it's not-gratingly-reductionist Southside that is the anti-christ. Shrewd.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Personal genome sequencing