or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple preps MacBook Pro updates, launches online outlet

Apple preps MacBook Pro updates, launches online outlet

post #1 of 79
Several bits of anecdotal evidence have turned up in recent days to suggest that it won't be long before Apple refreshes its professional notebook line with speedier models. Meanwhile, tipsters note that the company has launched its new online outlet store.

MacBook Pro updates

With last month's rather mild 13-inch MacBook refresh in the rear-view mirror, Apple is believed to be in the final preparatory stages of launching a more significant update to its professional line of MacBook Pro notebooks.

The new 15- and 17-inch portables, which AppleInsider began detailing back in January, are expected to borrow several architectural enhancements from Intel Corp.'s Santa Rosa platform while also introducing L.E.D.-backlit displays to the 15-inch models.

According to an industry source who has filed accurate reports in the past, Apple ramped down production of its current MacBook Pros a few weeks ago. The source notes that pending orders for new models in regions that require custom parts -- such as alternative keyboard layouts -- have been on backorder for a number of weeks with a estimated delivery date of "early June."

The source added that a similar series of events played out last year, ahead of Core 2 Duo updates to the then Core Duo 13-inch MacBooks.

At the same time, a second -- albeit unverified -- report claims that Apple this week accidently fired-off an email communication regarding the impending MacBook Pro updates to its major U.S. distributors and high level dealers.

The e-mail, titled "Setup info for new SKUs," purportedly contained new part numbers, product dimensions, palette makeup, and pricing information. The shipping weight for the two 15-inch MacBook configurations was listed at 10lbs (approximately the same as the 10.4lbs listed for current models), while the shipping weight for the 17-inch model was listed at 11lbs (compared to 11.6lbs).

A price list accompanying the communication was said to reflect no changes from today's MacBook Pro pricing.

Within minutes of sending the e-mail, Apple reportedly sent out a second communication calling the first message a "mistake" and asking that the information contained therein be discarded.

Apple Outlet Store

Meanwhile, Apple this week launched its Apple Outlet -- essentially a branded and remodeled section of its online store reserved for the sale of clearance items and refurbished products.

The update drew particular interest amongst tipsters, who noted that the outlet launched with a Mac section stock-full of refurbished Core Duo and Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. Discounts on the refurbished notebooks ranged from 18 to 41 percent, hinting towards a final inventory clearing ahead of new models.

The Apple Outlet also launches amid reports that Apple has canceled monthly fire sales at some of its brick-and-mortar retail stores. This may imply that a larger majority of returns and open box retail items will now be funneled back through the company's Elk Grove facility in Sacramento for repackaging and sale online.
post #2 of 79
whilst i won't be buying one this time around, i hope it will be a good update. and provide some vision into what will come in the future. i'll buy when i can do my HD workflow the whole way thru, HDV camera thru to HiDef DVD, on the one machine...

edit: first ever first post!
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #3 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Apple Outlet also launches amid reports that Apple has canceled monthly fire sales at some of its brick-and-mortar retail stores. This may imply that a larger majority of returns and open box retail items will now be funneled back through the company's Elk Grove facility in Sacramento for repackaging and sale online.

It was monthly? I've seen one and bought a few things last year, but I never saw them again. I assumed it was a one-off event.
post #4 of 79
2.0 GHz MBP / 2GB RAM / 256 MB / 120 GB
2.0 GHz MBP / 2GB RAM / 256 MB / 120 GB
post #5 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcod View Post

Digg it

See you in a few days.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #6 of 79
I am hoping for an ultra-portable announcement at WWDC. I've been waiting to replace my 12" PB since the switch to intel.
post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphyd View Post

I am hoping for an ultra-portable announcement at WWDC. I've been waiting to replace my 12" PB since the switch to intel.

Yeah, the 12" PB is magical and classic now. There must be a replacement soon that replaces it with a bang. It must be in the 1kg (2,21 pound) class to be really ultra portable. That would be something for us. Sony does it with vaio... cmon Apple...
post #8 of 79
Did you know, you can get the AppleCare for a refurbed Shuffle for only $39? All to cover a $49 device? Wow, Apple's moving into Best Buy territory!
post #9 of 79
Quote:
The e-mail, titled "Setup info for new SKUs," purportedly contained new part numbers, product dimensions, palette makeup, and pricing information. The shipping weight for the two 15-inch MacBook configurations was listed at 10lbs (approximately the same as the 10.4lbs listed for current models), while the shipping weight for the 17-inch model was listed at 11lbs (compared to 11.6lbs).

Wait a second, they detailed weight reduction for both models, 0.4 reduction for the 15" and 0.6 for the 17". That would suggest both models getting LED displays.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #10 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Wait a second, they detailed weight reduction for both models, 0.4 reduction for the 15" and 0.6 for the 17". That would suggest both models getting LED displays.

Sebastian

Or maybe eco-friendly packaging

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #11 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

See you in a few days.

THANK YOU.

-=|Mgkwho
post #12 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Or maybe eco-friendly packaging

Yes I just reread it and checked Apple's site. By Shipping weight I assumed they meant the weight of the Macbook Pro itself. 10 and 11 pounds is far too heavy.

In that case, the weight reduction isn't enough.

Sebastian
post #13 of 79
While I don't mind the banning of people for improper posts, what is the reasoning behind banning people that post "digg-its"? is it because it is simply annoying or because the server gets blasted from the digg traffic?
post #14 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisin View Post

While I don't mind the banning of people for improper posts, what is the reasoning behind banning people that post "digg-its"? is it because it is simply annoying or because the server gets blasted from the digg traffic?

A 'Digg It' post is an improper post. It provides zero contribution to the subject matter of the thread.
post #15 of 79
Quote:

Yes I just reread it and checked Apple's site. By Shipping weight I assumed they meant the weight of the Macbook Pro itself. 10 and 11 pounds is far too heavy.

In that case, the weight reduction isn't enough.

Sebastian

Agreed. However I hope to purchase a 15" with LED santa rosa and... I hope firewire 800 and flash memory. 17" is just too big for me. I couldn't care less about built-in ATT EDGE because I use Verizon.

post #16 of 79
Quote:

Sebastian

Or perhaps they did some creative rounding. Never trust integers.

/Adrian
post #17 of 79
Quote:

Agreed. However I hope to purchase a 15" with LED santa rosa and... I hope firewire 800 and flash memory.

Current 15" models have FW800.
post #18 of 79
Any ideas?

Also, how likely is it that we see a Blu-Ray or DVD-HD drive in this refresh? How likely for a enclosure redesign?
post #19 of 79
They have some 15" macbook pros for like $1,599 for the 2.16ghz model...thats pretty good right? I mean, what will this update really do? I'll have the student discount anyways, but i'd be saving like $300?! Someone help me make a decision, lol. I was going to buy a new MBP on July 13, but now idk if I should just get a refurb now.
post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingem View Post

They have some 15" macbook pros for like $1,599 for the 2.16ghz model...thats pretty good right? I mean, what will this update really do? I'll have the student discount anyways, but i'd be saving like $300?! Someone help me make a decision, lol. I was going to buy a new MBP on July 13, but now idk if I should just get a refurb now.

Ah, i'd only save $200...and I bet they'll offer a free ipod soon too...
post #21 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisin View Post

This should not have happened solely for a Digg link promoting. I apologize and have already reinstated Andrew.

Best,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #22 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingem View Post

If there really is an update coming soon, then you can wait a little more and save more. Usually the price of refurbs drop after they introduce an updated model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

This should not have happened solely for a Digg link promoting. I apologize and have already reinstated Andrew.

Oh bummer.
post #23 of 79
Quote:

Sebastian

...or they rounded down for simplicity's sake.
post #24 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Meanwhile, tipsters note that the company has launched its new online outlet store.

"Tipsters.." Makes me laugh every single time.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #25 of 79
Quote:

Sebastian

Well if they use OLED it's possible.
post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Is that like a Flockstar?

Sebastian
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Doesn't mean the new models will, esp. with Apple pretty much giving up on the tech.
post #28 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Best,

K

Then why isn't the dig link just integrated into the original post? The "digg it" posts are incredibly annoying. I was glad he was banned.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #29 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Doesn't mean the new models will, esp. with Apple pretty much giving up on the tech.

I wouldn't say that, now that the big iMac has it. I think there is a chance that it might be expanded to other models when they get a redesign. I think that the current 17" and 20" iMacs may still be using the same board and other parts as the original Core Duos, just a different CPU.
post #30 of 79
Quote:

Well, we use "tipster" to denote an average Joe who runs across something interesting but is not acting as a "source" of insider news.

A "source" or "personal familiar" with something indicates the opposite.

Alternatively, I guess we could start referring to 'tipsters' as 'web surfers' or 'readers.' =P

Best,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I didn't know that. Is that new? The original Core 2 duo's didn't have that ???

post #32 of 79
Quote:

I didn't know that. Is that new? The original Core 2 duo's didn't have that ???

Yes they did.

/Adrian
post #33 of 79
Quote:

Does it have connotations of drunkenness? Like "tipsy"?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Yes they did.

/Adrian

I guess someone should tell Apple, because they are selling them without FW800 according to the new refurbished website

post #35 of 79
Quote:

I guess someone should tell Apple, because they are selling them without FW800 according to the new refurbished website

Confirmed?
post #36 of 79
Quote:

Odd, I remember the original Core Duos not having FW800, but that got remedied with the Core 2s.

/Adrian
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Odd, I remember the original Core Duos not having FW800, but that got remedied with the Core 2s.

/Adrian

Who knows.. could be a misprint. Anyway, I'm getting a new one.

m

post #38 of 79
Quote:

Who knows.. could be a misprint. Anyway, I'm getting a new one.

I think it's a misprint. I've seen other misprints before in the refurb store.

If I had money to burn, I'd still wait until after the WWDC presentation on the off-chance that there is an update to the product you want to buy. It's only a couple weeks, and ten measures of patience is better than one measure of kicking yourself for not waiting.

The PR piece on 15" Core 2 Duo:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006...acbookpro.html

Other sites:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...notebooks.html
http://www.macrumors.com/2006/10/24/...o-macbook-pro/
post #39 of 79
Quote:

Agreed. However I hope to purchase a 15" with LED santa rosa and... I hope firewire 800 and flash memory. 17" is just too big for me.

looks like there's a lot of similar wishes floating around then...!
post #40 of 79
They definitely added FW800 when they moved the MBP line to Core 2 Duo; I ordered one at that time and am using the port with a LaCie Rugged external drive.

Craig S.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple preps MacBook Pro updates, launches online outlet