or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › London Olympics Logo

London Olympics Logo

post #1 of 29
Is it me or does this logo actually suck majorly?

I think this has got to be a front-runner for the worst design ever. Hell, I have interns who could come up with something better.

Terrible colour combos and the font is really, really bad....

LInky

Edit: just heard it cost 400,000 GBP

Who gets these gigs???
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 29
Looks like something crashed...

Call the medics, quick, before Bush deems it a terrorist attack and invades yet another country.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #3 of 29
It is clearly an athlete throwing up, bent over in agony.
post #4 of 29
Looks like Lisa Simpson giving head.
post #5 of 29
post #6 of 29
Yikes. When you look at the examples of previous logos, they were clearly going for sort of a "breezy, pictograph calligraphy" thing; you know, friendly.

London's going for "industrial, defiantly ugly but ad hoc", which is presumably their notion of being "credible to youth in 2012".

Was there ever a lower percentage game than trying to predict what might be "credible to youth" five years out?

BTW, I think they've got the same color consultants as Microsoft. I guess "fusia/yellow" is what's next after "brown/sickly green".
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #7 of 29
I just threw up in my mouth.
I do this for a living and I often wonder who gets these gigs! I could use the cash and the logo would be way better or at least represent something from our dimension.

flick.
post #8 of 29
post #9 of 29
worst logo ever.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

worst logo ever.

What LOGO?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #11 of 29
I've suffered through some really inbred designs before, but this one takes the cake.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #12 of 29
Yeah looks like something out of the 80's-- but worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Is it me or does this logo actually suck majorly?

I think this has got to be a front-runner for the worst design ever. Hell, I have interns who could come up with something better.

Terrible colour combos and the font is really, really bad....

LInky

Edit: just heard it cost 400,000 GBP

Who gets these gigs???

You managed to get through a whole post about England without using the word "fascist?"

Props.
post #13 of 29
Worst logo ever. Unbelievably ugly.
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Tells the story of how we got to host the Olympics in the 1st place

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

post #15 of 29
Visions of rockem-sockem-robots just flashed before my eyes...

D
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #16 of 29
One teacher* I had in college gave us our first assignment. Pick and re-design an astrological symbol. He wanted 20 thumbnails. Brought twenty thumbnails and if he did select one that looked promising, he wanted twenty more of that one. If not he wanted 20 more. That should prepare any designer for the real world.

But this logo looked like it went through "design by committee". A good example of this the Freedom Tower debacle in NYC.

* The teacher was Stanislav Zagorski. I'm saddened that Tyler School of Art has no mention of this great teacher.
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

D

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 29
Hehehe - It just gets better and better....

The logo has had to be removed from the 2012 website because it is likely it might give people epileptic seizures.

That nearly happened to me when I first saw it.

Edit: actually it's not funny (or is it?) seems someone has already become a victim of the logo:

Quote:
Christopher Filmer rang BBC London 94.9FM to say he suffered a seizure while watching the logo on television and his girlfriend also suffered a fit and needed hospital treatment.

"The logo came up on TV and I was thinking about the 2012 and then I was out," he said.
post #19 of 29
Well, it's not like we've never noticed the ugliness of the British before...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=67453

(I refuse to let this thread die.)
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #20 of 29
It is amazing the wacky world some designers and artists live in. A few years ago, there was a major painting displayed at a famous art museum in New York. The unknown artist was described as having a brilliant sense of the use of colo, blah blah blah. A few weeks later, a man revelaed that he had mailed the painting to the museum for the heck of it and that his five year old daughter was the painter and that she had painted the image in a matter of seconds while angry (read: she threw paint at the paper). The art world was shaken.

If this logo tunrs out to have been created by a kindergartener, I will at least tolerate it. As the story stands, I think quite a few adults need to lose their jobs and start mopping floors at McDonald's (though even that might prove too difficult for them).

CNN is reporting there are worries that the logos may cause seizures... (Ooops, Seg beat me to this)

post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

D

They still make those!??!

The Olympics have added a few "odd" sports over the past few years, why not Rockem-Sockem?

Maybe GWB could actually place.

post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

OH YOU BASTARD. THAT'S ALL I SEE WHEN I LOOK AT IT NOW.

grumble.

And I'm about to spend three bloody weeks SURROUNDED by it.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #23 of 29
I must be the only one in the world who thinks its quite good I guess.
post #24 of 29
But what does BritWithGoodTeeth have to say about it? We're all waiting, dearie.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

I must be the only one in the world who thinks its quite good I guess.

Yes. I suspect you are.
post #26 of 29
It me it says: "London. Being gradually crushed by the burden of hosting the Olympics, but we've spray painted the rubble pink to brighten things up!"
post #27 of 29
I'll bet there's microscripting all over it that says "Rule Britannia."
post #28 of 29
I guess someone thought it was an "Edgy" design but it really is just revolting. Yuck!
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #29 of 29
Looks like teeth that are the result of no dental plan. So I say it is perfect.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › London Olympics Logo