or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo

post #1 of 125
Thread Starter 
Apple Inc. is believed to be on the verge of introducing a new line of MacBook Pro notebooks and an educational promo that will furnish students with a free iPod nano when they purchase of a qualifying Mac system.

People familiar with plans for the offerings have said that both announcements could arrive as early as Tuesday.

In particular, a number of those close to Apple's retail channels reported they had been briefed on new MacBook Pro models that were due to turn up during week. A couple sets of potential technical specifications can be seen below, in line with expectations (1, 2).

Meanwhile, the company is also expected to announce an educational promotion offering students a $199 rebate on the purchase of an iPod nano or iPod video (or free 4GB iPod nano) when they purchase a qualified Mac system (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro or Mac Pro).

Should Apple announced the education promo tomorrow, it would arrive on the anniversary of last year's promo, which offered a $179 rebate or 2GB nano.

Purported MacBook Pro Specifications

• 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 4MB shared level 2 cache
• 2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
• 120GB 5400-rpm hard drive
• 15.4-inch (diagonal) TFT widescreen display; 1440 by 900 pixels
• NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
• Built-in iSight video camera
• Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• ExpressCard/34 slot, FireWire 400 port, FireWire 800 port, two USB 2.0 ports
• DVI portl DVI to VGA adapter included
• Optical digital audio input/line in, optical digital audio output/headphone out
•*Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet
• Built in AirPort Extreme
• Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR(Enhanced Data Rate)
• Backlit illuminated keyboard and ambient light sensor
• Apple Remote
• Preinstalled Max OS X and other bundled software
• Size and weight: 14.1 by 9.6 by 1.0 inches (35.7 by 24.3 by 2.59 cm); 5.4 pounds (2.45 kg)
• Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
• Model No. A1226
• Manufacturers Part No. MA895LL/A
• $1999

• 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 4MB shared level 2 cache
• 2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
• 160GB 5400-rpm hard drive
• 15.4-inch (diagonal) TFT widescreen display; 1440 by 900 pixels
• NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
• Built-in iSight video camera
• Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• ExpressCard/34 slot, FireWire 400 port, FireWire 800 port, two USB 2.0 ports
• DVI portl DVI to VGA adapter included
• Optical digital audio input/line in, optical digital audio output/headphone out
•*Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet
• Built in AirPort Extreme
• Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR(Enhanced Data Rate)
• Backlit illuminated keyboard and ambient light sensor
• Apple Remote
• Preinstalled Max OS X and other bundled software
• Size and weight: 14.1 by 9.6 by 1.0 inches (35.7 by 24.3 by 2.59 cm); 5.4 pounds (2.45 kg)
• Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
• Model No. A1226
• Manufacturers Part No. MA896LL/A
• $2499

MacRumors has been reporting a similar pair of specifications.
post #2 of 125
Cool, any price info?

MacBook Updated
MacBook pro updated
iPhone launch date known
Mac Mini discontinued

then what is available for WWDC?

one more week to go!!! CANNOT WAIT!!!

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #3 of 125
new MacBook Pro models that were due to turn up during week.

Should Apple announced the education promo tomorrow

2GB RAM of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 56MB of GDDR3 SDRAM


You know a little proof reading can go a long way to improving your credibility.
post #4 of 125
LED Backlights?
post #5 of 125
Ummmm... Is it just me, or is this in fact a downgrade?

The current specs list the processor at 2.33 Ghz... so AppleInsider wants us to believe that Apple is going to release SLOWER machines? I can't wait to see Jobs' explanation of this megahertz myth, if it comes to fruition.
post #6 of 125
Also, what the heck is "Preinstalled Max OS X and other bundled software"?

Is there a "Min" OS X?
post #7 of 125
Santa Rosa is better on FSB, L2 Cache, Mother Board, you cannot just compare Ghz difference, what the big difference between 2.4 Ghz and 2.33 Ghz any way?

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #8 of 125
No HD DVD/Blu-ray Drives?
Doesnt Apple like to push new Technologies like always?
Why not giving us a choice to watch HD movies (be it HD DVD or Blu-ray) on our beloved Macbook Pros?
just my 2 cents
post #9 of 125
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #10 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

then what is available for WWDC?

I'm hoping that they just focus on new software (Leopard, iLife etc).

But if they happen to ship a Mini-Laptop I'm not going to complain.
post #11 of 125
2GB memory on the entry model = cool.
120 GB HD = lame. I was really hoping for 160 on the $1999 model.

I guess I'll just hope AI is wrong
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #12 of 125
This is disappointing. I expect something much better. Where is LED, where is flash memory? There should be NAND flash + regular hard drive.
post #13 of 125
If the specs are accurate, it's a very good upgrade.

Top of the line 15.4" specs, old/new:

2.33 GHz to 2.4 GHz
667 MHz FSB to 800 MHz
3GB RAM max to 4GB
120GB HD to 160GB (hope there's a 200GB 7200 rpm option!)
6x SuperDrive to 8x
Radeon X1600 to GeForce 8600M GT (great upgrade!)
CCFL backlight to LED (hope so)
5.6 lbs. to 5.4 (3.2 oz. lighter!)

I also hope there's a slight case mod with a new KB and no latch.
post #14 of 125
Thinking about it though, 120 GB HD in the low end really doesn't make sense. That's less than the black macbook. Otherwise, I would be quite pleased. LED, big whoop
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #15 of 125
So are the LCD displays going to be back-lit by LED's or not?

That's really the only thing I am interested in...

I'm going to be pretty upset if the LED back-lit screen isn't one of the new features in the MacBook Pro update tomorrow..
[CENTER]Back from the future.[/CENTER]
Reply
[CENTER]Back from the future.[/CENTER]
Reply
post #16 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

... LED, big whoop

If an LED screen adds another 30-60 minutes of battery life, I'd call that a big whoop.
post #17 of 125
If these specs are correct, I'm definitely buying one with an iPod video ASAP. I hope there's going to be LED-displays though! Flash, I can wait. The prices for SSDs are far too exorbidant as of current.
post #18 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by skucera
Ummmm... Is it just me, or is this in fact a downgrade?

The current specs list the processor at 2.33 Ghz... so AppleInsider wants us to believe that Apple is going to release SLOWER machines? I can't wait to see Jobs' explanation of this megahertz myth, if it comes to fruition.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

That price point has a 2.16 Ghz CPU, it's the $2500 model that has the 2.33, which is listed 2.4 Ghz in the above specs.

Sebastian

Ahhh! Newbies.
post #19 of 125
"Overhaul"? Maybe I use the word differently, but to me, an overhaul of the MBP would involve much more than what those specs suggest.
post #20 of 125
chotto disappointing ne... IF they had improved the res to accommodate 1920x1080, i was tempted to bite the bullet... but still, not announced yet.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #21 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

chotto disappointing ne... IF they had improved the res to accommodate 1920x1080, i was tempted to bite the bullet... but still, not announced yet.

I wouldn't want that - on a 15" screen? Maybe on a 17" screen. At 15" with 1920x1080, I'd be using a magnifying glass, what with the size of the palette fonts in Adobe Creative Suite. 1440*900 is good.
post #22 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4C N00B View Post

So are the LCD displays going to be back-lit by LED's or not?

That's really the only thing I am interested in...

I'm going to be pretty upset if the LED back-lit screen isn't one of the new features in the MacBook Pro update tomorrow..

Uhhh...your tagline says "Back from the future."
post #23 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakashizuma View Post

No HD DVD/Blu-ray Drives?
Doesnt Apple like to push new Technologies like always?
Why not giving us a choice to watch HD movies (be it HD DVD or Blu-ray) on our beloved Macbook Pros?
just my 2 cents

You deserve a proper beat down from that comment.


Quote:
Originally Posted by angevil View Post

This is disappointing. I expect something much better. Where is LED, where is flash memory? There should be NAND flash + regular hard drive.

Santa Rosa supports Robson, but I'm not sure if Apple will include it just yet. I'd say it all depends on if it's worthwhile addition. Meaning, the testing has been less than stellar for one reliable source.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

3GB RAM max to 4GB
I also hope there's a slight case mod with a new KB and no latch.

Merom C2Ds can currently address up to 4GB. Santa Rosa's 2nd gen. Merom processors will also be able to address up to 4GB. Apple artificially limits it to 3GB. Unless Apple is using a new method we may be stuck at the same 3GB limit.

I never had a problem with PowerBook or MacBook Pros latches, but I do love my MacBook's magnetic latch a lot more. It would be nice if they include that.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 125
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Am I the only one noticing this???

• 2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)

I thought one of the features of Santa Rosa was it was DDR2 800??? Am I missing something? I don't think they could hit 2.4 without it being ddr2800 and really grinding the multiplier... Leads me to believe these specs are 100% accurate, or Apple isn't running Santa Rosa??? Maybe It has Santa Rosa but apple is using old ram in place of it to get rid of the ram and you can actually put DDR2 800 in it?

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #25 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Am I the only one noticing this???

2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)

I thought one of the features of Santa Rosa was it was DDR2 800??? Am I missing something? I don't think they could hit 2.4 without it being ddr2800 and really grinding the multiplier... Leads me to believe these specs are 100% accurate, or Apple isn't running Santa Rosa??? Maybe It has Santa Rosa but apple is using old ram in place of it to get rid of the ram and you can actually put DDR2 800 in it?

It's UP TO.

Not much regular 800 memory out now. what there is, is mostly for the enthusiast market, and we don't have enthusiasts on the Mac.
post #26 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Am I the only one noticing this???

2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)

I thought one of the features of Santa Rosa was it was DDR2 800??? Am I missing something? I don't think they could hit 2.4 without it being ddr2800 and really grinding the multiplier... Leads me to believe these specs are 100% accurate, or Apple isn't running Santa Rosa??? Maybe It has Santa Rosa but apple is using old ram in place of it to get rid of the ram and you can actually put DDR2 800 in it?

DDR2 800 still costs a bomb.
post #27 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungming2 View Post

I wouldn't want that - on a 15" screen? Maybe on a 17" screen. At 15" with 1920x1080, I'd be using a magnifying glass, what with the size of the palette fonts in Adobe Creative Suite. 1440*900 is good.

true it might be a bit of a squeeze, but shooting in 1920x1080 HDV, i'd like to be able to see it on screen without re-scaling (not to mention hi def dvd), and can't always have the external monitor handy. using FCP on a 15.4" at that res wouldn't be too much of a problem, as you aren't really reliant on pallettes. [touch wood my eyes are still pretty good!] i was thinking about the 17", but would go for the 15" if the option was there - for the luggability factor.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #28 of 125
nothing on the 17 incher's apparently? or is it the same as the new top of the line 15.4 + bigger screen size
post #29 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Merom C2Ds can currently address up to 4GB. Santa Rosa's 2nd gen. Merom processors will also be able to address up to 4GB. Apple artificially limits it to 3GB. Unless Apple is using a new method we may be stuck at the same 3GB limit.

Apple is not limiting it to 3GB. Santa Rosa is required to recognize the full 4GB of memory whether it is a Mac or a PC. The problem is that some PC manufactures have been advertizing theirs as having up to 4GB but in reality they only recognize a little over 3GB. They typically state in the fine print "all memory may not be available" or something along those lines. The MacBook Pros can recognize a little over 3GB with 4GB installed as well but Apple decided not to push the BS that far.

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #30 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

true it might be a bit of a squeeze, but shooting in 1920x1080 HDV, i'd like to be able to see it on screen without re-scaling (not to mention hi def dvd), and can't always have the external monitor handy. using FCP on a 15.4" at that res wouldn't be too much of a problem, as you aren't really reliant on pallettes. [touch wood my eyes are still pretty good!] i was thinking about the 17", but would go for the 15" if the option was there - for the luggability factor.

Unless you're going to stare bug-eyed at the screen, you won't get any benefit from 1080p on a 15" screen. You will barely be able to see it on a 17", unless you're real close.

A 20" screen requires that you be no more than 2.5' away for 1080p. A 15" would be no more than 24" and closer to 20".
post #31 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieTheOWl View Post

nothing on the 17 incher's apparently? or is it the same as the new top of the line 15.4 + bigger screen size

That's essentially what it is now, anyways. With one extra USB 2.0 port.
post #32 of 125
A graphic for the education promo has appeared in the middle of the iTunes US store page.
post #33 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtswebdev View Post

A graphic for the education promo has appeared in the middle of the iTunes US store page.

Screenshot: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ing2/promo.jpg
post #34 of 125
Yup it's there, right next to the itunes plus square, the college promo is back on.

How much of a difference is an ATI X1600 128MB to a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 128MB?
If I change my 2ghz core duo mbp to a new one that's the model I'd get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #35 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungming2 View Post

I wouldn't want that - on a 15" screen? Maybe on a 17" screen. At 15" with 1920x1080, I'd be using a magnifying glass, what with the size of the palette fonts in Adobe Creative Suite. 1440*900 is good.

I'd be willing to bet that if you used a 15" display with a 1920 resolution, you'd think twice before making that statement. The crispness that resolution delivers on day-to-day tasks (particularly if you're image editing) more than makes up for any palette font issues, IMHO. Especially with the upcoming resolution-independent features of OSX, I'd take one in a heartbeat! Actually, why not make it a 4k monitor while you're at it, Apple?

No need to make excuses for the areas Apple has lagged in for the past few years - let's just hope for the best in the future!

Cheers,

Kevin
post #36 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_B View Post

I'd be willing to bet that if you used a 15" display with a 1920 resolution, you'd think twice before making that statement.

My wife has such a laptop (15" at 1920 horizontal resolution) from work. We have it switched down to 1280x800 almost all the time. You know not all out there have the eyes of a 15 year old teen.

Now, with resolution-independence it is another game.
post #37 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Any indication on how this compares to the old X1600?
post #38 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Any indication on how this compares to the old X1600?

According to this benchmark, the 8600M GT outperforms the X1600 by about 2.5 times.

From here:
3DMark06 Notebook\t3DMark 06 Results

Asus G1S (Core 2 Duo T7500 2.20GHz, NVidia 8600M GT)\t3,816 3D Marks
HP nc8430 (2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, ATI X1600 256MB)\t1,745 3D Marks
Apple MacBook Pro (2.0GHz Core Duo, ATI X1600 128MB)\t1,528 3D Marks
Dell Precison M90 (2.16GHz Core Duo, nVidia Quadro FX 1500M)\t3,926 3D Marks
Alienware M7700 (AMD Athlon FX-60 Nvidia GeForce Go7800GTX)\t4,085 3D Marks
post #39 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieTheOWl View Post

nothing on the 17 incher's

The 17 incher's what?
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
post #40 of 125
I'm very excited about the 8600M news.

I've been using a 15" Dell notebook for years and I think 1680x1050 is the sweet spot of resolution on a 15". It's the one thing I'll miss from my Dell.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo