or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo - Page 2

post #41 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Am I the only one noticing this???

• 2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)

I thought one of the features of Santa Rosa was it was DDR2 800??? Am I missing something? I don't think they could hit 2.4 without it being ddr2800 and really grinding the multiplier... Leads me to believe these specs are 100% accurate, or Apple isn't running Santa Rosa??? Maybe It has Santa Rosa but apple is using old ram in place of it to get rid of the ram and you can actually put DDR2 800 in it?

DDR2 800 was cut as a feature from Santa Rosa last-minute. The FSB is still bumped to 800 MHz, however.
post #42 of 125
well, its about 10.30am (UK time) and you'd have thought Apple to make any changes by now if there were going to be any today...
post #43 of 125
doesn't Apple update it's servers at 6AM new York Time?
post #44 of 125
that's one hour left!
post #45 of 125
bum barm

No higher res display option
No eSATA
Still only 2 USB ports.

no thanks, call me when you make a "PRO" model!
post #46 of 125
Nothing on the dedicated H.264 chip then? That would have been a nice boost for AppleTV owners.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/09/...-chip-to-macs/
post #47 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrleon View Post

doesn't Apple update it's servers at 6AM new York Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxid View Post

that's one hour left!

Australia store is down.
post #48 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by michswiss View Post

Australia store is down.

That's right. Look at the east. Time zone rules.
post #49 of 125
That's the store down now.

First post btw
post #50 of 125
Nice, still waiting
post #51 of 125
U.S. store down too
post #52 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple artificially limits it to 3GB. Unless Apple is using a new method we may be stuck at the same 3GB limit.

No, they don't "artificially limit" it. Whilst Merom is a 64-bit processor, the chipset in the current MacBook Pro is a 32-bit chipset.

The processor does not have a built-in memory interface. The processor is connected to the motherboard chipset via the FSB, and it is the chipset that interfaces to the RAM*. The current chipset will only do 32 bit addressing, meaning a maximum of 4 GB of addressable space. However, the architecture is structured such that most of the last GB is "out of bounds", reserved for uses other than RAM.

* Which raises another issue: FSB doesn't have much to do with RAM bus speed. You don't have to have 800 MHz DDR RAM to have an 800 MHz FSB. Look at the PowerMac G5, for example: it had an FSB of 1/2 the processor speed (so the 2.5 GHz machines had an FSB of 1.25 GHz) but the RAM speed was 533 or 667 MHz DDR.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #53 of 125
Just out of interest, how long is the store usually down for anyway when they are updating it?
post #54 of 125
So, there is indeed an update going on here. If it is really the MBPs, then the form factor will remain most probably unchanged.
post #55 of 125
'form factor' ?
post #56 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxid View Post

'form factor' ?

Yeah, the current design.
post #57 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxid View Post

'form factor' ?

How hard is it to use Wikipedia? Form Factor.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #58 of 125
dunno, was down a reasonable amount of time for the MB updates...give it till lunch I guess (2-3hrs). you'd have thought they'd prepare the webpages off-line then just shut the store momentarily as they swap the necessary pages over and quickly test all the buttons work etc...shouldn't take too long. somethink like that would take me maybe an hour? to be certain, and assuming they've got a team of people on it then I'd say less - but lets not forget international synchronisation, they want people from uk/us/france/mongolia etc to all get the page when its ready, so to ensure its ALL smooth I think thats where the time taken comes in...
post #59 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

chotto disappointing ne... IF they had improved the res to accommodate 1920x1080, i was tempted to bite the bullet... but still, not announced yet.

Honto desu ne. Sugoku gakkari shite iru. Or whatever. I remain hopeful for more, but we will soon know since the Stores are all down.
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
post #60 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

How hard is it to use Wikipedia? Form Factor.

There are still some people who do not believe that Wiki is the New God. Indeed, it is very, very often a collection of false gods indeed.


By the way, I think the new pop-up, or more correctly the scrolling ad for Zune along the bottom of the Apple Insider page-- just saw it in Pink-- has to be one of the greatest pieces of "product placement" stupidity I've ever seen.

"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
post #61 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

There are still some people who do not believe that Wiki is the New God. Indeed, it is very, very often a collection of false gods indeed.


I do believe in wiki , just didn't think of using it right now.
post #62 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

There are still some people who do not believe that Wiki is the New God. Indeed, it is very, very often a collection of false gods indeed.

Sure. But the computing stuff is nearly always right. It is edited by geeks, after all.

In this instance you look up form-factor, and find an answer to the question "what does form-factor mean in the context of computing?", and it's obvious that on this occasion the information is accurate.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #63 of 125
The MB's were available by about 12.30pm in the UK after the store went down, how does that tally with US times? probably just right for people waking up early and businesses etc...
might be the same this time round?
post #64 of 125
1440x900 is extremely disappointing. The industry standard for 15.4" laptops is now 1680x1050. Since the hardware specification would have been finalized before Leopard was delayed, it is most surprising that Apple would not have chosen higher resolution to go with the expected resolution independence. I sincerely hope that the 1440x900 rumor is wrong. I won't buy one with a 1440x900 display.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #65 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post

bum barm

No higher res display option
No eSATA
Still only 2 USB ports.

no thanks, call me when you make a "PRO" model!


I am a pro user and I use a MBP that I bought two months ago. It is a pro model.

The machine and the apps are the stepping stones; how they are used makes or breaks it.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #66 of 125
Quote:
1440x900 is extremely disappointing. The industry standard for 15.4" laptops is now 1680x1050. Since the hardware specification would have been finalized before Leopard was delayed, it is most surprising that Apple would not have chosen higher resolution to go with the expected resolution independence. I sincerely hope that the 1440x900 rumor is wrong. I won't buy one with a 1440x900 display.

I hope the same!, asus G1S has 1680x1050 so if apple wants top line laptop they have to keep up!
post #67 of 125
dell has had a 15" 1680x1050 laptop out for ages...and its not even their top of the line model...the resolution is the one area MBPs fall over on, they're good but could be better by that margin imo (and other's)
post #68 of 125
Are we going to see flash or hybrid hard drives anytime soon? I really want to hold out for either of these for the speed and batter life.
post #69 of 125
With the resolution independence of Leopard around the corner, I'd rather have 1920x1200, but I would buy a 15" MBP with 1680x1050. 1440x900 is not at all interesting for me.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #70 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

dunno, was down a reasonable amount of time for the MB updates...give it till lunch I guess (2-3hrs). you'd have thought they'd prepare the webpages off-line then just shut the store momentarily as they swap the necessary pages over and quickly test all the buttons work etc...shouldn't take too long. somethink like that would take me maybe an hour? to be certain, and assuming they've got a team of people on it then I'd say less - but lets not forget international synchronisation, they want people from uk/us/france/mongolia etc to all get the page when its ready, so to ensure its ALL smooth I think thats where the time taken comes in...

The down time builds a "buzz" on the internet as we speculate on what will be released. It is disappointing though to see Mac updates receiving so little attention from Steve's speeches this year.
post #71 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiology View Post

Are we going to see flash or hybrid hard drives anytime soon? I really want to hold out for either of these for the speed and batter life.

Something like this would be introduced at a special presentation (WWDC would count). Steve would be on stage making a big to do about it.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #72 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

The down time builds a "buzz" on the internet as we speculate on what will be released. It is disappointing though to see Mac updates receiving so little attention from Steve's speeches this year.

maybe there's not a lot to shout about...?
post #73 of 125
would be funny if its an ipod update ..
post #74 of 125
With WWDC just around the corner, they need to get an update of their Macs out, then they canintro a new sub mini portable tablet with tri-3GHz CPUs and a 200GB flash drive for $599.

Just kidding.

MBPs for sure.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #75 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

1440x900 is extremely disappointing. The industry standard for 15.4" laptops is now 1680x1050.

Bull.

There's a gazillion laptops out there with 1280x800 15.4 inch screens. Dell's Inspiron 6400's are 1280x800 or 1440x900 if you pay more (no 1680x1050 upgrade).

The pricier Lattitude 830s have 1280x800, 1680x1050 or a eye watering 1920x1200.

Yes, you can get a 1680x1050 but it's far from being an 'industry standard' whatever that means.
post #76 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

With WWDC just around the corner, they need to get an update of their Macs out, then they canintro a new sub mini portable tablet with tri-3GHz CPUs and a 200GB flash drive for $599.

Just kidding.

MBPs for sure.

That'd be so funny though in light of the Apple guys joining Palm. A Multitouch tablet/keyboard Foleo with full OSX. Right back at ya Hawkins.
post #77 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleplex View Post

Nothing on the dedicated H.264 chip then? That would have been a nice boost for AppleTV owners.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/09/...-chip-to-macs/

I mentioned this in another mbp rumor thread. I remembered the rumor of a h264 decoding chip and used it as the basis to suggest Apple would be switching to a Geforce 8500 or 8600. Either of those chips completely decode h264 and offload the entire process from the CPU. Looks like I got that one right.
post #78 of 125
The first Apple Computer went on sale 30 years ago today. Could that mean anything do you think?
post #79 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxor View Post

I mentioned this in another mbp rumor thread. I remembered the rumor of a h264 decoding chip and used it as the basis to suggest Apple would be switching to a Geforce 8500 or 8600. Either of those chips completely decode h264 and offload the entire process from the CPU. Looks like I got that one right.

The new ATi GPUs do that too. In fact, the ATi x1600 does it (both H.264 encode and decode). But of course, you can't just pop in a GPU and it'll magically do all the work for you. You have to write the drivers. And Apple didn't bother. Which I find very disappointing.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #80 of 125
every 5 seconds, for the Apple Store.
The internet is going to crash.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo