or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo

Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo - Page 3

post #81 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharf_10 View Post

The first Apple Computer went on sale 30 years ago today. Could that mean anything do you think?

Don't start me dreaming about a 30th anniversary Mac.... I want two.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #82 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

every 5 seconds, for the Apple Store.
The internet is going to crash.

This is getting long...

The reload button is wearing out...

post #83 of 125
The Apple website is becoming slower and slower. It's getting quite annoying, I didn't think they'd take this long to release an update.
post #84 of 125
What if, just if, they updatre MBPs and iPods and MacMinis all on the same day?

ARRRRGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!!! Hurry up!

post #85 of 125
Quote:

The Apple website is becoming slower and slower. It's getting quite annoying, I didn't think they'd take this long to release an update.

I was noticing that... it seems to be pretty quick now. Guess they are about to...

post #86 of 125
It's nice to know there are people out there as sad as me! Come on with the damn store updating! I'm aggravating my RSI on the reload button!
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #87 of 125
Frankly, I don't understand all the wining and knashing of teeth over this. Aside from LED backlighting what else were people expecting that wasn't delivered? Robson? Please spare me the details, that has yet to prove itself as a useful item. I think that the new graphics card is quite a nice benefit that befits a high end laptop. All in all not a bad update, if your expectations were realistic.
post #88 of 125
We're back on.
post #89 of 125
Well, seems like http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html has some updated info?
post #90 of 125
Pretty much what was expected

2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1440 x 900 resolution
2GB memory
120GB HD
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM

LEDs!!! Hot dang!

Won't replace my MBP, but this is nice to see.

post #91 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Apple is not limiting it to 3GB. Santa Rosa is required to recognize the full 4GB of memory whether it is a Mac or a PC. The problem is that some PC manufactures have been advertizing theirs as having up to 4GB but in reality they only recognize a little over 3GB. They typically state in the fine print "all memory may not be available" or something along those lines. The MacBook Pros can recognize a little over 3GB with 4GB installed as well but Apple decided not to push the BS that far.

Thanks, 1984. I did thinkit was odd that Apple was only stating 3GB while others 4GB. It's good to see Apple being more straightforward here.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #92 of 125
no led backlight?
post #93 of 125
Time to go back to work.

post #94 of 125
Not much of an update.
The resolution is the same, most everything is the same except the video card and memory configuration... Unless they have introduced LED backlighting and 'forgot' to mention that.
post #95 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Not much of an update.
The resolution is the same, most everything is the same except the video card and memory configuration... Unless they have introduced LED backlighting and 'forgot' to mention that.

What else were you expecting? A 3 ghz merom?
post #96 of 125
No...

Display’s the thing

A great video processor powers a great display. The new MacBook Pro is available in 15-inch models with a new mercury-free, power-efficient LED-backlit display and a 17-inch model with an optional 1920-by-1200 pixel display.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
post #97 of 125
Slight spec-bump.

4 GB now possible

higher res will have to wait for Leopard (4 months is not "around the corner" enough to put up with too small GUI elements)

Other changes (LED backlight, new enclosure) will wait for that major update.
post #98 of 125
I was afraid of this day. That this update would make my c2d mbp look outdated. But it seems that the changes weren't that drastic after all. I know it's kind of twisted but I am sort of relieved.
post #99 of 125
is more interesting

LED BACKLIGHT!!
post #100 of 125
sweet there it is...hmmmm led, might have to buy one now
post #101 of 125
Quote:

No...

Displays the thing

A great video processor powers a great display. The new MacBook Pro is available in 15-inch models with a new mercury-free, power-efficient LED-backlit display and a 17-inch model with an optional 1920-by-1200 pixel display.

Just noticed the LED and optional high-res display on the 17". Guess they believe that the 1920x1200 is not too much of a stretch for a 17".
post #102 of 125
My order is in.

Took a few minutes longer than it should have. Kept going back to see if I read the specs right after reading some of the dissidents' postings (even after the store was open) which appears that they didn't or can't read at all.

It would be nice that before you idiots take a crap, to do a little due diligence first.
post #103 of 125
I'll wait for better screen resolution. Presumably that would happen with the next speed bump and the availability of Leopard.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #104 of 125
Is it useful to go for the 256mb Vram?
post #105 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova View Post

sweet there it is...hmmmm led, might have to buy one now

Excellent.

You guys roadtest the 1.0 version of the LED backlight, and I'll upgrade much later in the year.
Thanks.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #106 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Excellent.

You guys roadtest the 1.0 version of the LED backlight, and I'll upgrade much later in the year.
Thanks.

Hands up those who've ever seen a LED fail!

(Except due to abuse of course!)
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #107 of 125
is 800mhz FSB and 4GB ram = santa rosa chipset?
post #108 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Traffic lights fail all the time.
post #109 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrleon View Post

is 800mhz FSB and 4GB ram = santa rosa chipset?

Yes. And also the 2.2ghz and 2.4Ghz main CPU speeds.
post #110 of 125
Quote:

Just had an LED flashlight fail.

post #111 of 125
Hmmm. I'm on the verge of buying now. Have my creditcard almost ready, but then I came to think of the 8-bit vs 6-bit display case a few weeks ago. Is there a way to know if this is a 6-bit or 8-bit display? I work in Graphic Design so i don't like the idea of a 6 bit display..
post #112 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

My order is in.

Took a few minutes longer than it should have. Kept going back to see if I read the specs right after reading some of the dissidents' postings (even after the store was open) which appears that they didn't or can't read at all.

It would be nice that before you idiots take a crap, to do a little due diligence first.

Take another look at the store info...

No mention of LEDs here:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ok/macbook_pro

Nor here, even under more info:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...wp9joSG/2.?p=0

Guess some people can read better than you think. Guess Apple considers the LED screen just a standard screen (now that otehr manufacturers have been using them for some time).

Apple's hardware page does show that the screen is LED, but it was not up for a few minutes.

Specs now say up to 6 hours battery life, which I think is a slight jump (if I remember correctly). Will be intertesting to see the impact of the LEDs on performance.

post #113 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Take another look at the store info...

No mention of LEDs here:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ok/macbook_pro

Nor here, even under more info:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...wp9joSG/2.?p=0

Guess some people can read better than you think. Guess Apple considers the LED screen just a standard screen (now that otehr manufacturers have been using them for some time).

Apple's hardware page does show that the screen is LED, but it was not up for a few minutes.

Specs now say up to 6 hours battery life, which I think is a slight jump (if I remember correctly). Will be intertesting to see the impact of the LEDs on performance.

Configured with the 7200 RPM hard drive it said 4-6 weeks for delivery... What the heck?
post #114 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrleon View Post

Hmmm. I'm on the verge of buying now. Have my creditcard almost ready, but then I came to think of the 8-bit vs 6-bit display case a few weeks ago. Is there a way to know if this is a 6-bit or 8-bit display? I work in Graphic Design so i don't like the idea of a 6 bit display..

The "Pro's" have 8 bit displays.
post #115 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Are you sure? I'm not. Apple's spec page just says "support for millions of colors", which leads me to believe that they're 6 bit displays. In fact, I'm not sure there are any laptops with 8 bit displays.
post #116 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

DDR2 800 was cut as a feature from Santa Rosa last-minute. The FSB is still bumped to 800 MHz, however.

Well that kinda sucks. I wonder how much of a performance hit it took (though i'm sure not a ton).

I am also very excited apple went with NVidia on this one. ATI's mobile cards aren't the greatest right now. NVidia has been doing a great job with their mobile line up lately. Apple get a pat on the back for that one.

I'm wondering if I should sell my 2.33 and pick one up. I doubt there would be a huge gain in anything besides graphics power. I wonder if it would be worth it.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #117 of 125
Quote:

My MacBook Pro has a 6-bit display. I've checked.
post #118 of 125
Quote:

My 12.1" PowerBook has a colour depth of 32 bits, does that make it 8 bits (undithered) per colour?
post #119 of 125
Quote:

My 12.1" PowerBook has a colour depth of 32 bits

No, it doesn't. There is no such thing as 32-bit color with a display. There can be internally when you count an alpha channel, or a gamma channel, or something else not directly related to a primary color, or there can be for printers, but not with a screen.

The number you cite won't let us help you determine what kind of display you have.
post #120 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

No, it doesn't. There is no such thing as 32-bit color with a display. There can be internally when you count an alpha channel, or a gamma channel, or something else not directly related to a primary color, or there can be for printers, but not with a screen.

The number you cite won't let us help you determine what kind of display you have.

I was quoting the information returned by the system profiler, what else should I rely on? OK, perhaps it was refering to the capability of the graphics card only but if so, where do we find information on the screen's true bit depth?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo