or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros - Page 7

post #241 of 282
So I called the apple store up today, the real big one not just the local one (1 800MY APPLE) and the dude told me that they expected the 4-6 week shipping to be that way for the next 2 months or so because of the demand ect... Im not quite sure but I was planning on buying a MBP cash in another month when Ill have all the money but the guy suggested to me that I should charge it now so that I get it in 4-6 weeks instead of buying it in another month and then waiting another 4-6 weeks. A friend of mine did me the favor and called up again and got a different guy and he suggested the same thing. So it looks like you better buy now, if your looking at the 7200 rpm option, now if i could only find the damn credit card...
post #242 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

How fast a TiBook? The reason I ask is that I'll be moving from a single processor G4 sawtooth 450MHz with a radeon 8500 video card to a new MacBook Pro (maybe this week...)

Any TiBook, I would think. That fastest was what...1GHZ? 1 GHZ G4 vs. a 2.0-2.4 ghz C2D, better graphics memory, bus speeds, etc? It won't even be close. If you're going from a G4 Sawtooth, I wouldn't be surprised to see some operations 10X as fast. Just a guess. My experience comes from my PB 1.25 and even an iMac 20" G5 2.1ghz (latest PPC).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I think you'll be pleased Please let us know what you think once you've got it.

He'll be very pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

I'm torn between the Macbook and Macbook Pro. The only real benefit I see of the Pro is it has a dedicated video card. Is this really worth $1100 more than the MacBook?!

And how important is a dedicated video card now-a-days?

I had one of the first gen white iBooks (600Mhz). I liked it, but it was SLOW from the start. Pauses during dock animations, etc etc. Spinning beach balls forever. And it wasn't very good at graphic-intense games. Granted, this was running 10.2 and 600Mhz.

How are the MacBooks today? Any complaints regarding speed/graphics?

If money is not an issue, the Pro is far better machine. Faster, more memory standard, bigger drives, and dedicated graphics.

Personally, I think you'll notice a big difference between integrated and dedicated graphics. The integrated graphics on the MB are only 64MB to boot. I have 4 times that in my MBP. And it's not just games, the graphics processor deal with the interface too.

You're also getting a better screen size and resolution, which I find to be an issue.

I have a MBP C2D, and I love it. The backlighting is a little uneven, but it's not LED. I will likely upgrade once they start offering Blu-ray burners/LED/bigger drives.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #243 of 282
Mine just got delivered today. I'll pick it up in a hour or so. Woohoo!
post #244 of 282
Didn't there used to be a 250GB hard BTO option? Or am I imagining things?
post #245 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApple View Post

Didn't there used to be a 250GB hard BTO option? Or am I imagining things?

I think there is for the 17" MBP
post #246 of 282
I've been using my new 17" MPB 4MB 7200 160GB Wide-screen matt now every day since the 13th. It is extraordinary. Fast and . I am about to set up a new wireless network with the new BaseStaion, but even now operating wirelessly it is terrific on the old net-- a big improvement on the 15" MBP Core 2 glossy. The transfer of everything from that machine to this was flawless and very quick.

Running DVDs is excellent. I have yet to transfer my iPod/AppleStore files from my desktop mac yet, so I cannot comment on that, except to say that the internal speakers and sound on this one when playing things from the web is outstanding.

Happy camper!
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
post #247 of 282
Thanks for the reports on the new MBP.

I just sold my 17" MBP Merom on Ebay and took a big hit ; will never do that again, so I'm looking forward to the current release that I'll probably have for a few years. I depended on my Pismo for about 6 and is still a nice machine.

From what I'm reading I should notice a big difference from the Merom to Santa Rosa and can't wait to witness this myself. Thanks again for the reports.
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #248 of 282
The sound quality from the built-in speakers on my new SR MBP is far better than it was on my old Powerbook. Very pleased about that.
post #249 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

T
I just sold my 17" MBP Merom on Ebay and took a big hit
From what I'm reading I should notice a big difference from the Merom to Santa Rosa and can't wait to witness this myself.

What reports are you talking about? Look here for the real scoop.
http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/firs...arks/index.php
post #250 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

should notice a big difference from the Merom to Santa Rosa

Sorry, I can't help nit-picking: You mean "Napa to Santa Rosa". Merom is the name of the CPU, and this hasn't changed. What has changed is the motherboard chipset from Napa to Santa Rosa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

What reports are you talking about? Look here for the real scoop.
http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/firs...arks/index.php

Hmm... those photoshop results are odd. Higher CPU clock + faster FSB* = slightly slower? Very strange.

*although the system bus is still the same, so bandwidth to memory isn't any higher. Presumably, latency should be a little lower.

Obviously there are some sort of driver issues surrounding Unreal Tournament, and the slightly slower photoshop performance is odd, but apart from that, things are what I'd expect. Video encoding to MPEG-2 for example shows a 4% increase, whilst battery life is improved (on the 15" anyway, hopefully not all of that improvement is from the LED backlight).

It's a shame that Macworld don't include more taxing tasks that better highlight any improvements in CPU power - e.g. they should convert a two-hour MPEG-2 to H.264 and do more complex Cinema 4D renders. Also, the battery life test isn't exactly thorough - what about doing two or three different tests? e.g. DVD playback, internet/web usage, typing in text edit with one bar of screen brightness and all wireless stuff off.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #251 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Sorry, I can't help nit-picking: You mean "Napa to Santa Rosa". Merom is the name of the CPU, and this hasn't changed. What has changed is the motherboard chipset from Napa to Santa Rosa.

My mistake. Sorry. Thanks for correcting me.
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #252 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

My mistake. Sorry. Thanks for correcting me.

No worries. Thanks for being so gentlemanly about it

I hope that you enjoy your new MBP. Did you go for the higher-res option?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #253 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

No worries. Thanks for being so gentlemanly about it

I hope that you enjoy your new MBP. Did you go for the higher-res option?

I haven't ordered it yet. I'll be picking it up, from my bookstore, in a couple weeks and yes I plan on the high-res as well as filling her up with memory from the get-go. My current concern is the screen that I read about in another thread here (not LED?). My previous MBP model didn't impress here, so if I'm going to hang on to this for a while this is a big concern.

Tony
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #254 of 282
I do big-screen stuff like graphics work and Logic sessions and I still got the 15" for the LED. I previously had a 17" MBP and a 17" Powerbook, but the noticeably brighter screen that doesn't lose 1/2 it's brightness after a year overcame any doubts I had about going a bit smaller. The LCD screens seem archaic to me now. If you absolutley have to have a 17" then I'd say you should wait 4-6 months for the 17" LED, otherwise, you'll be kicking yourself.
post #255 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

I do big-screen stuff like graphics work and Logic sessions and I still got the 15" for the LED. I previously had a 17" MBP and a 17" Powerbook, but the noticeably brighter screen that doesn't lose 1/2 it's brightness after a year overcame any doubts I had about going a bit smaller. The LCD screens seem archaic to me now. If you absolutley have to have a 17" then I'd say you should wait 4-6 months for the 17" LED, otherwise, you'll be kicking yourself.

Then without a doubt I'll force myself to wait. I to make a living on graphics as well as restoration work and at the same same replacing my desktop, and I need the portability. So I'll once again be waiting at Christmas/January for a new release and be tethered for now.
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #256 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

The LCD screens seem archaic to me now.

Oops, another nit-pick, sorry:

The screens are still LCD. The backlight has changed from C.C.F.L. (Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp) to L.E.D. (Light Emitting Diode).

Tony, you are correct, the 17" MBPs still have the old C.C.F.L. backlights. It's anyone's guess as to how long it'll be before we see L.E.D. backlighting in that model, as the costs seem to increase rapidly with increasing screen size.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #257 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

S



Hmm... those photoshop results are odd. Higher CPU clock + faster FSB* = slightly slower? Very strange.

*although the system bus is still the same, so bandwidth to memory isn't any faster. Presumably, latency should be a little lower.

Obviously there are some sort of driver issues surrounding Unreal Tournament, and the slightly slower photoshop performance is odd, but apart from that, things are what I'd expect. Video encoding to MPEG-2 for example shows a 4% increase, whilst battery life is improved (on the 15" anyway, hopefully not all of that improvement is from the LED backlight).

It's a shame that Macworld don't include more taxing tasks that better highlight any improvements in CPU power - e.g. they should convert a two-hour MPEG-2 to H.264 and do more complex Cinema 4D renders. Also, the battery life test isn't exactly thorough - what about doing two or three different tests? e.g. DVD playback, internet/web usage, typing in text edit with one bar of screen brightness and all wireless stuff off.

Agree that MW's testing isn't as rigorous as it could or should be. However their results are consistent with Anandtech's performance review of SR. IMO, SR was a bit of a disappointment. Certainly systems that have them are no worse than the Napas they replaced, but they are only a little better, not a lot better. As far as game and graphics performance is concerned, I think that'll get better with time and driver tweaking.

The next big performance jump, at the portable level, looks like it'll happen when Penryn comes out. IIRC, then we should see a 3 ghz portable chip.
post #258 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Agree that MW's testing isn't as rigorous as it could or should be. However their results are consistent with Anandtech's performance review of SR. IMO, SR was a bit of a disappointment. Certainly systems that have them are no worse than the Napas they replaced, but they are only a little better, not a lot better.

Personally, I wasn't expecting any major performance improvements. What I was expecting, and what we got, was a moderate improvement in battery life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The next big performance jump, at the portable level, looks like it'll happen when Penryn comes out. IIRC, then we should see a 3 ghz portable chip.

I think it's still too early to say what the mobile Penryn clock speeds will be.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #259 of 282
I got the 15'' 2.4GHz model a week ago today and it had been working great until last night. I tried to watch a DVD (which was brand new out of the case) and the computer would freeze. It'd play for about a minute then I'd get the spinning beach bal and there was nothing I could do. Force quit wouldn't work. I eventually just turned it off which would result in a boot up time of about five minutes. After I went through that cycle 3 times I just turned it off and called it a night.

Jump to 30 minutes ago when I used it for the first time today. Opened Safari to send some emails and there is a delay with everything I do. What I mean is if I try to scoll down on a webpage, it's takes a second. As I'm typing this right now I'm about three words ahead of what's on the screen. Is anyone having any problems like this?
post #260 of 282
I haven't seen anything like that on mine.
post #261 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by novice1111 View Post

I got the 15'' 2.4GHz model a week ago today and it had been working great until last night. I tried to watch a DVD (which was brand new out of the case) and the computer would freeze. It'd play for about a minute then I'd get the spinning beach bal and there was nothing I could do. Force quit wouldn't work. I eventually just turned it off which would result in a boot up time of about five minutes. After I went through that cycle 3 times I just turned it off and called it a night.

Jump to 30 minutes ago when I used it for the first time today. Opened Safari to send some emails and there is a delay with everything I do. What I mean is if I try to scoll down on a webpage, it's takes a second. As I'm typing this right now I'm about three words ahead of what's on the screen. Is anyone having any problems like this?

Is there some process in the background eating up CPU power? If not, then your OS X installation may be messed up. Why it showed up after one week or how did it happen, I cannot tell. Is it you who installed OS X, or was it pre-installed? Another but less likely possibility is a hardware failure.
post #262 of 282
Well, i got my MbP on monday. I don't see the yellow color. I've the matte screen. Could you see the yellow color with the default settings? Or do you have to callibrate the screen first?

I'm not a color specialist, but just a common user.... And i am very happy with my macbook pro!
post #263 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathijs de Bruin View Post

Well, i got my MbP on monday. I don't see the yellow color. I've the matte screen. Could you see the yellow color with the default settings? Or do you have to callibrate the screen first?

I'm not a color specialist, but just a common user.... And i am very happy with my macbook pro!

I'm no graphics guy (music instead) and I didn't notice this anomaly until I placed my MBP next to my old PB. The MBP had a yellowish tinge to it, compared to the PB, which had a cooler more mauve tint to it. I was easily able to tweak the MBP to look more like the PB in the System Preferences.

I love my MBP too.
post #264 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathijs de Bruin View Post

And i am very happy with my macbook pro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslander View Post

I love my MBP too.

Mine hasn't shipped yet.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
post #265 of 282
Ok, I appologize if this is a question that has been asked a lot on here, but I am really really having a hard time deciding... 17 or 15 inch... I will be using my MBP for school (architecture) so I will need it for running AutoCad and Photoshop, etc. I am wondering if the resolution upgrade will be worth it... I like to have a high res screen... but... I also have a Dell 20.1 external monitor that I can attach to.... should I just get the 15 (and the nice LED) and not worry about the lower res... right now I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 17inch and it has the same res as the 15 inch MBP.... and I am pretty satisfied... but I am wondering about the future, and if I will want more resolution... the only other thing that's diff. about the 17 inch is the extra USB right...? (which I admit would help... then I can have mouse, external HD and Ipod all plugged in without having to detach and reattach things all the time... I am really torn... I have the extra $420 for the 17 with the res upgrade... but will it be worth it...??? I just want some opinions... thanks so much!
post #266 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankewich View Post

Ok, I appologize if this is a question that has been asked a lot on here, but I am really really having a hard time deciding... 17 or 15 inch... I will be using my MBP for school (architecture) so I will need it for running AutoCad and Photoshop, etc. I am wondering if the resolution upgrade will be worth it... I like to have a high res screen... but... I also have a Dell 20.1 external monitor that I can attach to.... should I just get the 15 (and the nice LED) and not worry about the lower res... right now I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 17inch and it has the same res as the 15 inch MBP.... and I am pretty satisfied... but I am wondering about the future, and if I will want more resolution... the only other thing that's diff. about the 17 inch is the extra USB right...? (which I admit would help... then I can have mouse, external HD and Ipod all plugged in without having to detach and reattach things all the time... I am really torn... I have the extra $420 for the 17 with the res upgrade... but will it be worth it...??? I just want some opinions... thanks so much!

If you've an external monitor already, I'd go for the extra portability of the 15". The USB issue can be solved by using a USB hub. Plug everything in to that and then it's just one cable to the hub to plug/unplug. Spend the savings on a bigger internal hard disk or more RAM.
post #267 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankewich View Post

Ok, I appologize if this is a question that has been asked a lot on here, but I am really really having a hard time deciding... 17 or 15 inch... I will be using my MBP for school (architecture) so I will need it for running AutoCad and Photoshop, etc. I am wondering if the resolution upgrade will be worth it... I like to have a high res screen... but... I also have a Dell 20.1 external monitor that I can attach to.... should I just get the 15 (and the nice LED) and not worry about the lower res... right now I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 17inch and it has the same res as the 15 inch MBP.... and I am pretty satisfied... but I am wondering about the future, and if I will want more resolution... the only other thing that's diff. about the 17 inch is the extra USB right...? (which I admit would help... then I can have mouse, external HD and Ipod all plugged in without having to detach and reattach things all the time... I am really torn... I have the extra $420 for the 17 with the res upgrade... but will it be worth it...??? I just want some opinions... thanks so much!

I've said this a few times now... maybe people don't want to listen and are waiting for someone to say the 17" is amazing and just as good as the 15" LED? Sorry, it's not even close. I've previously had a 17" MBP and a 17" PB and I do a lot of "screen stuff" like graphic design and Logic work. The 15" is the way to go. The LED backlights will not fade over time as the CCFL's do rather quickly and the LED's are brighter and much more even. I can't see anyone buying what is now old technology. In 12 months when your 17" "high-res" screen is dull and faded, don't kick yourself when the 17" MBP's come out with LED's and these 15" models still look as bright and vibrant as the day they were purchased.
post #268 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

I've said this a few times now... maybe people don't want to listen and are waiting for someone to say the 17" is amazing and just as good as the 15" LED? Sorry, it's not even close. I've previously had a 17" MBP and a 17" PB and I do a lot of "screen stuff" like graphic design and Logic work. The 15" is the way to go. The LED backlights will not fade over time as the CCFL's do rather quickly and the LED's are brighter and much more even. I can't see anyone buying what is now old technology. In 12 months when your 17" "high-res" screen is dull and faded, don't kick yourself when the 17" MBP's come out with LED's and these 15" models still look as bright and vibrant as the day they were purchased.

I'll wait until the 17" MBP is led screened and 1900 X 1200. The increased resolution is very important to HD video editing and I want this screen resolution but I'll wait until all the bugs are worked out on this model ~ should come out in the fall.\
post #269 of 282
I did my unscientific graphics test today on the 2.2 and 2.4 MBP's. What I usually do is open 4 QT movies (around 100MB or so in size for each movie) and then loop run them. I noticed that both the 2.4 and the previous high end MBP played them over and over again without any noticable stuttering. The playback was smooth as far as I could see.
The 2.2 didn't play them well at all and in fact, in my opinion, the lower end MBP (of the previous versions), played them better (although they did stutter but it wasn't as bad as the 2.2).

I'm going to have one of these in a few weeks and wanted the 2.2 but now I'm not sure if I should get the 2.4. I don't want to drop the extra 500 bills (but it does have more power... )
post #270 of 282
I am a new to Mac and can't decide if I should buy a new MBP now or wait until leopard is released. The money is burning a whole in my pocket and my wife is getting tired of me sitting on the fence. Any suggestions?
post #271 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by hands224e View Post

I am a new to Mac and can't decide if I should buy a new MBP now or wait until leopard is released. The money is burning a whole in my pocket and my wife is getting tired of me sitting on the fence. Any suggestions?

Why wait? Just buy Leopard when it comes out and install it on your MBP. These MBP's are state-of-the-art and were originally going to be released with Leopard last month. Apple's new OS's don't cost an arm and a leg either. There's no reason to wait that I can see...
post #272 of 282
I am a gamer and am going to install windows xp on my mbp (which I haven't bought yet, and will be my first ever mac anything - i don't even own an ipod) but was wondering if 1440x900 resolution is enough or should I go with the higher res 17" mbp? I would really like to know if the 15" mbp is good enough for gaming. Does the LED make that much of a difference compared to a higher resolution? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
crispux3
post #273 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispux3 View Post

I am a gamer and am going to install windows xp on my mbp (which I haven't bought yet, and will be my first ever mac anything - i don't even own an ipod) but was wondering if 1440x900 resolution is enough or should I go with the higher res 17" mbp? I would really like to know if the 15" mbp is good enough for gaming. Does the LED make that much of a difference compared to a higher resolution? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
crispux3

Honestly it depends on what resolution you run your games at. If you play games at higher than a 1440x900 then get the 17'.

When I play single player I crank things up;resolution, anti-aliasing, vertex lighting ect. When I play online I tone things down some to get better FPS and to have one less thing for my internet connection to worry about. I personally dont play online games at higher than a 1280x1024. Also with the MBP id play more of my games in widescreen if the game offered that option. I find widescreen to be a better experience in single player and in multiplayer. Personally the 15' is fine enough resolution but another things to consider, Is it big enough for you?

I game on either a 17' display or 19', cant afford anything bigger or new for the time being, and cant see myself doing anything except maybe some single player or quick network gaming with friends on a 15' notebook display.
post #274 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

I do big-screen stuff like graphics work and Logic sessions and I still got the 15" for the LED. I previously had a 17" MBP and a 17" Powerbook, but the noticeably brighter screen that doesn't lose 1/2 it's brightness after a year overcame any doubts I had about going a bit smaller. The LCD screens seem archaic to me now. If you absolutley have to have a 17" then I'd say you should wait 4-6 months for the 17" LED, otherwise, you'll be kicking yourself.

I think your argument would be workable without the obvious hyperbole, half brightness in a year? I have a five year old notebook that doesn't seem like it's at half brightness.

Also, are people that freaking blind? In most cases, I can see everything just fine on the lowest brightness setting. The one thing that would convince me is if the dimming was better. I think the previous models dimmed to maybe 50% and for looking up IMDB while watching a movie, I only need maybe 10%.
post #275 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think your argument would be workable without the obvious hyperbole, half brightness in a year? I have a five year old notebook that doesn't seem like it's at half brightness.

Also, are people that freaking blind? In most cases, I can see everything just fine on the lowest brightness setting. The one thing that would convince me is if the dimming was better. I think the previous models dimmed to maybe 50% and for looking up IMDB while watching a movie, I only need maybe 10%.

There's no hyperbole... If you use your notebook everyday at work for 8-12 hours like I do your CCFL notebook screen will lose 25%-50% of it's brightness. I know because my Dell laptop did it and my 17" Powerbook did it. For many applications it is important to have the screen as bright and crisp as possible. It does matter.
post #276 of 282
I stopped by the Apple Store in Green Hills, Nashville, today. When I was using the new 2.4 MBP, I noticed that the trackpad seemed rough, and my finger didn't slide as easily across the surface as easily as it does on my TiBook's. It "stuck" when I used the same pressure as I use normally.

Keeping in mind my TiBook has been used almost daily for almost 5 years now and when I look at an angle at my trackpad, there is a shiny circle that takes up about 2/3 of the pad - oily residue from my finger. The circle is away from the edges, which is clearly because I use the middle more than the edge.

Has anyone noticed a "break-in" period for their trackpad, during which their finger doesn't slide quite as easily across the surface? It's been too long to remember what mine was like when the machine was brand new, and I'm assuming it was as rough as the MBP's but I was still getting used to the idea of a trackpad in general.

I don't really care - I'm getting an MBP as soon as possible and seeing as there have been no complaints about the trackpad, I'm assuming I'll either get used to it, or it will develop that silky surface like my TiBook in a relatively brief period of time.

I just found this on nnforums:
Quote:
I noticed the same thing. The trackpad on my powerbook was much smoother than my macbook pro. Then today I realized the trackpad on my MBP seemed smoother than it did the day I got it. I appears that the trackpad is a little rough at first, but just needs to be broken in. Now it is physically smoother, and scrolling/mousing seems much more responsive.

note: I use my laptop at least 10 hours a day for my job, so it took around 5 days @ 10 hours a day to start feeling smoother to the touch. Thats about 50 hours of usage.

Has anyone else noticed the "break in" period for the trackpad?

Yes, just as I suspected. Good news.
post #277 of 282
Hi!

Im from the netherlands, and I got mine, 2,4 ghz model MBP today! Im so happy!

-anyone have any tips on the colour calibration?
I do notice the colours are rather pale, and i read i can change this via system prefs-displays-colours, but any tips on how to use the expert settings? what worked for you guys?

=They say its good to charge your battery to the max, and use it until its almost emtpy. Is this true?
Furthermore, they say that if you don't use your mbp much, its good to discharge it once a month. How do I do this? (www.apple.com/batteries/notebook.html)

Thanks!
post #278 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApple View Post

Didn't there used to be a 250GB hard BTO option? Or am I imagining things?

Isn't there still? Coulda sworn there was one for the 15" at 5500rpm... *checks* hm, guess it was just 200GB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I haven't ordered it yet. I'll be picking it up, from my bookstore, in a couple weeks and yes I plan on the high-res as well as filling her up with memory from the get-go. My current concern is the screen that I read about in another thread here (not LED?). My previous MBP model didn't impress here, so if I'm going to hang on to this for a while this is a big concern.

From what I've heard, the backlighting on the high-res display is much better than the normal 17" display, so you should be pretty good there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Mine hasn't shipped yet.

Join the crowd... *points to his signature*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankewich View Post

Ok, I appologize if this is a question that has been asked a lot on here, but I am really really having a hard time deciding... 17 or 15 inch... I will be using my MBP for school (architecture) so I will need it for running AutoCad and Photoshop, etc. I am wondering if the resolution upgrade will be worth it... I like to have a high res screen... but... I also have a Dell 20.1 external monitor that I can attach to.... should I just get the 15 (and the nice LED) and not worry about the lower res... right now I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 17inch and it has the same res as the 15 inch MBP.... and I am pretty satisfied... but I am wondering about the future, and if I will want more resolution... the only other thing that's diff. about the 17 inch is the extra USB right...? (which I admit would help... then I can have mouse, external HD and Ipod all plugged in without having to detach and reattach things all the time... I am really torn... I have the extra $420 for the 17 with the res upgrade... but will it be worth it...??? I just want some opinions... thanks so much!

Since you have the larger external display, I'd say go with the 15" 2.4Ghz machine. The portability is much friendlier, and the LED will give you much better defined, crisper pictures than the 17", as well as save you a good amount on battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hands224e View Post

I am a new to Mac and can't decide if I should buy a new MBP now or wait until leopard is released. The money is burning a whole in my pocket and my wife is getting tired of me sitting on the fence. Any suggestions?

listen to Loungepop:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

Why wait? Just buy Leopard when it comes out and install it on your MBP. These MBP's are state-of-the-art and were originally going to be released with Leopard last month. Apple's new OS's don't cost an arm and a leg either. There's no reason to wait that I can see...

2.2GHz C2D 15" LED MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM, Upgraded to 7200 RPM HD[center]"I wouldn't buy an Apple computer. It's too fruity." "Apparently fruity must be the new crazy good."[/center]
Reply
2.2GHz C2D 15" LED MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM, Upgraded to 7200 RPM HD[center]"I wouldn't buy an Apple computer. It's too fruity." "Apparently fruity must be the new crazy good."[/center]
Reply
post #279 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I I don't really care - I'm getting an MBP as soon as possible and seeing as there have been no complaints about the trackpad, I'm assuming I'll either get used to it, or it will develop that silky surface like my TiBook in a relatively brief period of time.

I just found this on nnforums:


Yes, just as I suspected. Good news.

I hope youre right man, im experiencing the same, too incidental 'break in/stuck' period with my trackpad from my new 2,4 MBP
post #280 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by hands224e View Post

I am a new to Mac and can't decide if I should buy a new MBP now or wait until leopard is released. The money is burning a whole in my pocket and my wife is getting tired of me sitting on the fence. Any suggestions?

The first iteration of Leopard is going to have some glitches. It's been true of all the OS X cats so far--Puma, Cheetah, Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger--and there's no reason to think Leopard will be immune. So why wait at least three, and possibly four, more months? Buy now, enjoy Tiger's stability, and let others do the final round of beta testing on Leopard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros