or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros

Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros - Page 2

post #41 of 282
So now we've got the MacBooks, MacBook Pros all set, and iPhone set for later this month, so what will we see at WWDC: iMacs!!! Why would they go this long without an upgrade to the iMac if it was just going to be a boring incremental bump? They would've done that now as welll... no?
post #42 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post

Any idea why selecting a glossy display knocks down the price $150?? And it's $135 off if combined with the education price, resulting in a crazy discount:

Wow, I just saw it with my own eyes. Crazy! Must be some sort of mistake? If that's accurate though i guess I know what sort of display i'll be going with
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #43 of 282
yeah, I'm thinking of getting a firewire 800 external and using that as a complimentary/backup. ram prices a joke as ever better to get crucial or someone like that. but crucial fix prices depending on where you've been surfing so...kingston? corsair?
prices of the machines have actually fallen though, compared to the last rev.

and no freakin' free iPods in the UK...?!!
post #44 of 282
Hopefully it isn't really a 4-6 week delay for the 160-7200 drive on the 15". There is no delay if you configure that option on the 17". I'm wondering if the orders came in quick on the 15" and they raised the wait, or was it like that right when it was released?
post #45 of 282
With Apple coming out with the MBPs today (as expected), is the iMac now the mostly likely model to get attention at WWDC next week?

I've got my fingers crossed for Apple TV -- TA DA! the plasma version! -- but it's probably early yet for that one with Apple TV still just a toddler. (Or is this the direction the iMac is headed?)

Also, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Apple announce a ship date for Leopard that's a bit earlier than they've previously indicated.

Thoughts on WWDC?
post #46 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I was thinking the same. Here in the UK it's a £300 difference inc VAT. The extra 40GB upgrade costs £50inc. If you're not running large dual monitors then there's little point in paying the extra £300.

I'm a little dissapointed that laptop hard disk sizes hasn't progressed as fast as it might this past year. 120GB isn't a lot these days. There's 200/250GB drives at Apple but they're 4200rpm. Hitachi/Tosh/Samsung have 5400rpm drives out now.

Maybe I'll put the £300 to a NAS/Mini/Drobo.

Seagate 2.5, 160 gig Hard Disk (7200) is cheap and on the market
post #47 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxor View Post

Correction:
The 8600 does not offload VC-1. It's wired for h264 decoding only.

Is that specific to the Mac model or the chip model? Nvidia say it does all these:

"Hardware Decode Acceleration: Provides ultra-smooth playback of H.264, VC-1, WMV and MPEG-2 HD and SD movies."

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8M_fbs.html
post #48 of 282
Quote:

Any idea why selecting a glossy display knocks down the price $150?? And it's $135 off if combined with the education price, resulting in a crazy discount:

I am very curious about this as well. I guess you should order now while the promotional "discount" is available.

The glossy display would still have the LED behind it, I would hope. This might be reason for a price discrepancy. You can always call or chat with the Apple Store sales team. . . .
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
post #49 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

i like the specs...

but i still abhor the placement of the hard drive. this is a pro laptop, make it so it is at minimum easy to change out like 99% of the others out there. One shouldn't have to remove .everything. just to change the HD.

Hear! Hear! (Or is it Here! Here!) And what's even more amazingly idiotic is that the cheaper consumer laptop you can just pop it right out. But Apple has always been more about design/look then usefulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

In fact, I placed my order at for a 2.4 15 incher at 9:02 AM (edt) this morning with expedited shipping. It is expected to ship between June 6 -8 and to be delivered between June 8-13.

I'm sorry, but that's expediated shipping???
post #50 of 282
Quote:

Sadly, it looks like once you go to check out the correct (higher) price is listed on the confirmation page.
post #51 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

cheeky f*ckers...they've wacked in two 1Gb Ram modules rather than one 2Gb module. so any upgrade to 4Gb will mean ditching those 1Gb's...great. bit of a waste huh.

One 2GB module would be more expensive than 2 1GB modules plus it'd probably be slower as well as pairing up modules usually leads to faster RAM access.

A quick look at crucial puts 2GB modules at £135 and 1GB at £27.

Apple charge £480 here for upgrading to 4GB (2x2GB). Crucial charge £270 plus you can probably eBay your stock 2GB for £40-50.
post #52 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiec View Post

Sadly, it looks like once you go to check out the correct (higher) price is listed on the confirmation page.

oh darn....
post #53 of 282
Excellent! This is what will end up replacing my pismo in a few months.
Prosecutors will be violated
Prosecutors will be violated
post #54 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Top of the line 15.4" specs, old/new:

2.33 GHz to 2.4 GHz
667 MHz FSB to 800 MHz
3GB RAM max to 4GB
120GB HD to 160GB (160GB 7200 rpm option!)
6x SuperDrive to 8x
Radeon X1600 to GeForce 8600M GT (great upgrade!)
CCFL backlight to LED
5.6 lbs. to 5.4 (3.2 oz. lighter!)
5 hr. max batt life to 6 hrs.

Very good upgrade!

Agree! 20% more battery life significant. Sony's 2.33 SZ only gets up to 4 hours and its smaller.
post #55 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash View Post

So now we've got the MacBooks, MacBook Pros all set, and iPhone set for later this month, so what will we see at WWDC: iMacs!!! Why would they go this long without an upgrade to the iMac if it was just going to be a boring incremental bump? They would've done that now as welll... no?

iMac upgrade suspicions + Leopard coverage + secret features + Developer's Conference = Stellar Advancements

I imagine a new Leopard UI and Apple asking/helping developers to get cracking on coding for a lot of Core Animation/MultiTouch goodness.

Timing would be perfect, would it not?

Only problem would be that the new iMacs would be announced 3-4 months in advance (if they need Leopard for all the cool stuff). Apple would either have to launch Leopard early or give some sort of coupon for those who purchase the new iMac to get Leopard discounted later and let them use MultiTouch in Tiger (sparingly, I would imagine) in the meantime. I think this is why it was a tough call to delay Leopard - a WWDC launch of new iMacs and Leopard would have been perfect.
post #56 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Agree! 20% more battery life significant. Sony's 2.33 SZ only gets up to 4 hours and its smaller.

I wonder how much of the improvement is down to LED screens and how much is Santa Rosa's improved power handling. The Sony at 2.33 will be on the old pre-SR chipset.
post #57 of 282
Quote:

Yep. Why not just add a quarter inch of height and a couple of ounces and voila

Is that why the MacBook is thicker and heavier than the MacBook Pro?
post #58 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Hardware decoding of H264, VC-1 (don't know if the X1600 did this). 50% faster in benchmarks than the X1600.

Yes, the x1600 does do this. I'm hoping that Apple will update QuickTime in Leopard to support offloading of H.264 to the GPU on all their hardware that supports it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #59 of 282
Apple's not the only company not interested in "Turbo Memory" (Robson)

HP Shuns Turbo Memory

Nice upgrade overall. I love the higher base ram and 86xx series GPU. The 2k 15" MBP sounds like the best deal to me.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #60 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Hear! Hear! (Or is it Here! Here!)

Hear! Hear!
post #61 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Is that specific to the Mac model or the chip model? Nvidia say it does all these:

"Hardware Decode Acceleration: Provides ultra-smooth playback of H.264, VC-1, WMV and MPEG-2 HD and SD movies."

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8M_fbs.html

I perhaps should have been more specific. It does help accelerate all of that. But it does not compltely off-load VC1 from the CPU. It only helps. It does, however, completely offload h264 from the CPU.

It's an awesome chip though. Bought a 8500 for my Vista MCE and it's doing a great job as video output with HDCP via a DVI -> HDMI adapter.
post #62 of 282
Do you guys think there will be another HW refresh when the Leopard comes up in October?
post #63 of 282
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
post #64 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is that why the MacBook is thicker and heavier than the MacBook Pro?

Thought you had me for a minute, but

The MacBook Pro at 1" X 14.1" X 9.6" is just a little more than 12 cubic inches larger than the MacBook at 1.08" X 12.78" X 8.92"

Obviously, the MacBook would have the same issue as the Pro. And my suggestion that a quarter of an inch thicker (or and additional 34 cubic inches) may not be so out of line to suffice the necessary hardware to satisfy the required configuration.
post #65 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

cheeky f*ckers...they've wacked in two 1Gb Ram modules rather than one 2Gb module. so any upgrade to 4Gb will mean ditching those 1Gb's...great. bit of a waste huh.

It makes sense to me. Compare the price of 2 x 1GB (~US$70-80 total) vs 1 x 2GB (~US$110-120). US$40 may not seem like much, but it would be a decent percentage of their margin on the overall hardware package.

Besides, Apple, like most PC OEMs, has always gouged on RAM upgrades, milking insane margins from folks who don't shop around or are too lazy/nervous about installing RAM themselves.
apple gets "it."
apple gets "it."
post #66 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by giaotze View Post

Do you guys think there will be another HW refresh when the Leopard comes up in October?

My guess is not til Macworld (Jan 2008). This is a pretty beefy upgrade already. Only reasonable thing missing is Robson. (Blu-ray would have been nice, but obviously unrealistic in the moment.)
apple gets "it."
apple gets "it."
post #67 of 282
Whats the concensus on the glossy screen? How can they have such a deep discount on it? It must not have LED? Isn't glossy supposedly better anyways (The apple store seems to say so)? Brighter colors, etc.??
post #68 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingem View Post

Whats the concensus on the glossy screen? How can they have such a deep discount on it? It must not have LED? Isn't glossy supposedly better anyways (The apple store seems to say so)? Brighter colors, etc.??

look at post #50
post #69 of 282
So, given this update there doesn't seem to be alot of difference between the MB and MBP except design (size, LED screen) and GPU? I mean, assuming I get the RAM upgrade....

Grrr, what to buy for a soon-to-be grad student? (who meddles in webpage building/photoshop, and wants to keep this computer forever and ever)....any suggestions to tip one way or another?
post #70 of 282
I'm getting ready to place an order now. I just have two questions.

Memory: Apple's memory is expensive. I want to max it out at 4 gigs so what memory do I get? What type of memory do I buy? Is it the same memory that the previous C2D mac used?

Hard Drive: I really want the 200 gig hard drive but performance is important to me. Is there a big speed decrease in the 200 gig hard drive since it's 4200 vs. 5400rpm? If so I'm staying with 160 gigs but my second question then is is there a big performance jump going up to the 160 gig 7200 rpm drive?
post #71 of 282
Quote:

Thought you had me for a minute, but…

The MacBook Pro at 1" X 14.1" X 9.6" is just a little more than 12 cubic inches larger than the MacBook at 1.08" X 12.78" X 8.92"

Obviously, the MacBook would have the same issue as the Pro. And my suggestion that a quarter of an inch thicker (or and additional 34 cubic inches) may not be so out of line to suffice the necessary hardware to satisfy the required configuration.

The site's claim that the MBP is 1" thick is probably a round-down, just like the previous revisions. The 17" and 15" models were also 1.08" thick even when claimed to be 1" thick.
post #72 of 282
Just the other day everyone was bitching about how they need to put anything but the 1600 in the macbook pros. Today when they replace them, everyone is bitching about something else.

So what if it doesnt run of hydrogen or have 8 cores or have an 8800. Cant anyone be happy for once?

The same thing happened with the iPhone. everyone just wanted it to come out and when it did everyone stared complaining about its memory or no 3g.

Some people just expect too much.
post #73 of 282
Quote:

So, given this update there doesn't seem to be alot of difference between the MB and MBP except design (size, LED screen) and GPU? I mean, assuming I get the RAM upgrade....

Grrr, what to buy for a soon-to-be grad student? (who meddles in webpage building/photoshop, and wants to keep this computer forever and ever)....any suggestions to tip one way or another?

if money is not an issue, get the MacBook Pro for sure, just an amazing experience which is a bit nicer than the MacBook; however, if you are on a budget (as i currently am) the MacBook is great, i am a proud MacBook owner. It's a great computer.
post #74 of 282
Quote:

Well, I think it really comes down to one thing. How much do you care about this grad student?

I think the screen size is the big item. Will they want a bigger screen, or a smaller book for hauling around? Are they going to be embarrassed by a white or black notebook? Or is the sturdier casing (who cares if you scratch plastic, but scratch the MBP? OhNo!) a bigger deal.

Too bad Apple doesn't have a 15" in a MacBook case, or a 12" MBP. But, hey, I guess we should be happy they have black now.
post #75 of 282
OK, the new MBP's use Santa Rosa and have the 800MHz front side bus. Apple only claims to support 667MHz memory, however. Crucial sells 800MHZ DDR2-SODIMMs (e.g., $529 for 2 2GB SODIMMs). Anyone know if they'll work?
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 (8GB RAM, 1TB HD)
iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 2.5G 8GB
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 (8GB RAM, 1TB HD)
iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 2.5G 8GB
post #76 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Well, I think it really comes down to one thing. How much do you care about this grad student?

I think the screen size is the big item. Will they want a bigger screen, or a smaller book for hauling around? Are they going to be embarrassed by a white or black notebook? Or is the sturdier casing (who cares if you scratch plastic, but scratch the MBP? OhNo!) a bigger deal.

Too bad Apple doesn't have a 15" in a MacBook case, or a 12" MBP. But, hey, I guess we should be happy they have black now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

if money is not an issue, get the MacBook Pro for sure, just an amazing experience which is a bit nicer than the MacBook; however, if you are on a budget (as i currently am) the MacBook is great, i am a proud MacBook owner. It's a great computer.

I am the grad student. I would prefer the larger screen, but I'm on a budget. I mean, I COULD pay for it (2250 after student discount and applecare....2400 when I get the 8gb nano and iwork) but i'm really interested in longevity. I want something that will still zip in 4-6 years, play my $h!tloads of music, let me edit my cute little webpage (http://www.users.muohio.edu/lingembr/index1.html) and do photoshop for that purpose. Along with writing lots of papers....general ilife stuff too.
post #77 of 282
Quote:

I am the grad student. I would prefer the larger screen, but I'm on a budget. I mean, I COULD pay for it (2250 after student discount and applecare....2400 when I get the 8gb nano and iwork) but i'm really interested in longevity. I want something that will still zip in 4-6 years, play my $h!tloads of music, let me edit my cute little webpage (http://www.users.muohio.edu/lingembr/index1.html) and do photoshop for that purpose. Along with writing lots of papers....general ilife stuff too.

well i think the macbook would be just fine... but if you can, go for the macbook pro, just because the screen size is bigger, but the computer isnt really that much bigger...its hard to explain. but the macbook has enough power and stuff for what you want to do so it really depends on money
post #78 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday updated its MacBook Pro line of notebooks with the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processors, memory up to 4GB, LED backlit displays, and high-speed graphics in a lightweight, aluminum enclosure that is just one-inch thin.

Ummm... 1 inchin thin is nothing. Where is the lightweight part? Let's see some stats on this, because Windows laptop makers are schooling Apple on weight.

BTW - this looks just like an Apple press release - not a real analytical look at the new offerings. Cut and paste is not cool, dudes.
post #79 of 282
Quote:

DEFINITELY go with the MBP; on sturdiness alone it will hold up. I'm just not sure that the 4-6 years in our day and age will keep you going with the external hardware and software world as it changes daily. I do not know about that element, but all my PowerBooks/MacBooks are alive and kicking, and I go ALL the way back. I just don't use the G3 iBook (Japanese model) or the G4 Pismo any more. Once in a while I get out my Sony-build PowerBook 100 just to amaze my skeptical friends...
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #80 of 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The site's claim that the MBP is 1" thick is probably a round-down, just like the previous revisions. The 17" and 15" models were also 1.08" thick even when claimed to be 1" thick.

To be fair: the MacBook Pro (L) 14.0552" X (W) 9.5670" X (H) 1.0197" = 137.1151 cubic inches, which is 15.0980 cu in more than the MacBook.

And your point is
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros