AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › iLife build into Leopard

iLife build into Leopard

post #1 of 11
What do you think?

As Vista now has ilifeish features..?
TD
TD
post #2 of 11
They need to in order to remain competitive although it'll certainly bump the price of Leopard (SJ will give an example of the cost of Vista versus Tiger + iLife 06 plus inflation to justify the hike).

After all it wasn't so long ago that Panther retail CDs included iPhoto, iTunes and iMovie.
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

They need to in order to remain competitive although it'll certainly bump the price of Leopard (SJ will give an example of the cost of Vista versus Tiger + iLife 06 plus inflation to justify the hike).

After all it wasn't so long ago that Panther retail CDs included iPhoto, iTunes and iMovie.

I doubt it will happen.

By including iLife on new Mac hardware, it encourages Mac users to buy a new Mac. It's like getting a little discount on the price of new equipment. Yet, I could see Apple including iTunes, the same way iCal is part of the OS package.

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I doubt it will happen.

Okay so what's your view on the total absence of iLife 07 (and iWorks 07 for that matter).

cheers

mrtotes
post #5 of 11
Quote:

Okay so what's your view on the total absence of iLife 07 (and iWorks 07 for that matter).

cheers

mrtotes

I completely agree with snoopy. It won't happen.

My personal view, the apps are just not ready because they take complete advantage of CoreAnimation and all the other enhanced goodies that Leopard will bring.

Keynote is going to whoop PowerPoint's ass. Again.
post #6 of 11
I'd bet on it happening.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #7 of 11
Quote:

And don't forget last year's WWDC where one of the 10 points of Leopard covered was that Apple is going to ship the "Complete Package" with Leopard. Steve gave the example of PhotoBooth, BootCamp, and Front Row, but I think that he could have meant the iApps as well (possible the iWork suite also).

As far as:
"By including iLife on new Mac hardware, it encourages Mac users to buy a new Mac. It's like getting a little discount on the price of new equipment."
I think your point can be used against you by saying that Mac users are more likely to get new Macs if they get a new OS and new iLife apps, and they would otherwise have had to pay, say, $179 for Leopard (including the iApps), they are getting the discount, just on more services.
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
post #8 of 11
Quote:

I doubt it will happen.

By including iLife on new Mac hardware, it encourages Mac users to buy a new Mac. It's like getting a little discount on the price of new equipment. Yet, I could see Apple including iTunes, the same way iCal is part of the OS package.

I think that Apple might include iLife with each new release of the OS. They will not position at as "part of" the OS but rather as "included with" the purchase of a new version of the operating system.

I also think that they might instead bundle the current full version of iWork with each new Mac which will both encourage upgrades to new hardware or, at least, software upgrades much like iLife does now.
post #9 of 11
I've written this on the forums before but don't know how many people read it. iTunes and iPhoto are different ways to view and manage certain data a lot better then one can manage this data in Finder. Currently Tiger has the Pictures, Documents, Movies, Music Folders on the left of the Finder window. I would like to click on the Folder and to the right in the Finder Window I would like to see iPhoto and iTunes built right in. iWeb also manages data as does iMovie, iDVD, and Garageband. All these programs have a big file management side. Metadata needs to be available to the OS and together with Spotlight, Finder would become a real powerhouse.

Now they also have a file editing side of the iLife apps too. Apple can either keep the editing side separate programs or do what OpenDoc promised long ago. Apple can have free editors with the OS about what iLife currently offeers but also sell pro apps/modules for heavy hitters.

This is not just what I want but what I need. This is what we all need. I think this is the direction Apple has been going for quite some time. I don't think they abandoned their OpenDoc/Copland ideal as much as broke it down into smaller steps. They have been plugging away and are developing all the pieces. I think they could soon merge all this software into what Copland/OpenDoc promised long ago.

I have no special Apple insider info but I can put the puzzle pieces together. It make sense. If it all does not come together in Leapord then maybe in 10.6.

I really like where Apple is now and where it is going. Add in zfs just when Microsoft drops its new file system from Vista and Apple can stick it to Microsoft. I also hope Apple finally gets iWork up to par with MS Office. Then add Boot Camp right into the OS and man would Apple store soar and MS plunge.

I may be dreaming big but this dream is attainable. And Apple does not need to stop there. They are in a good position to own the Home RAID and Home Server market. Even if you don't realize it, it's coming. This stuff is not just for enterpriss and businesses any more.

And please Apple, grow your tv "hobby" into a full blow business. I want an Apple entertainment system - HDTV, few cables, one remote, and easy to use software interface. A sort of Apple TV/Bose sound system/HD-DVD or BlueRay/Front Row/iTunes/Cinema Display for the livingroom. Actually its form factor should be very similar to an iMac.

With all the Apple retail stores they would take over the market in a heartbeat. The iPhone is another product in this consumer electronics giant. Apple is the new Sony. The only thing they lack is a game console.

Alas Pippen was not to be but maybe the time wasn't right then. And maybe it was not the right solution either. I don't think Apple wanted or could have lost the money MS and Sony are bleeding in the game console wars. If Apple can make PC games work on the Mac then the computer fills that gap some. Even better, an Apple livingroom entertainment system could also have enough CPU and GPU horsepower to do decent games. With enough sales of a good integrated entertainment system Apple would have a platform for games. Combined with their Mac base, they can plug the console gap.

Go Apple!
post #10 of 11
Ok, it's June already and no mention of iLife or iWork 07, where is it??? They usually have it out by now, but for some reason it isn't. I think earlier in the year I heard rumours they were having problems or taking a while to create that new Charts or whatever they call it program for iWork, so I'm not sure what's happening there, I have not heard rumours about it for ages, by the time they bring it out, it'll be not long after until we're into 2008, or maybe they'll skip 07 and go straight into 08, maybe they're waiting for the new MS Office to come out before releasing it, does anyone know??? Maybe they're going to incorporate it into Leopard, or maybe that's just what people want them to do, who knows, maybe it will be part of Leopard but Apple is being secretive about it. I haven't used iWork that much, but I do like Keynote and think it's a pretty good application, but I have only used it once as I don't own iWork myself, but might when the next one comes out. iLife usually comes basic with each computer, so maybe they are wating for Leopard to be released, at least I hope so or it comes out soon.

There's two possibilites I believe in, but don't quote me on them. They'll either incorporate both into Leopard or they'll release it near the launch of MS Office 2008 for Mac.
post #11 of 11
Quote:

Yet, I could see Apple including iTunes, the same way iCal is part of the OS package.

You mean the way iTunes has already been part of the basic OS package since at least Jaguar? I'm not kidding, I install various versions of OS X probably three or four times per week at my job.
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › iLife build into Leopard