or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Who is using Safari as their main browser?

Who is using Safari as their main browser?

post #1 of 77
Although IE and NS7/Mozilla/Chimera are better in some respects to Safari, and Safari has some annoying bugs, I'm actually using Safari as my main browser. I'm not sure why - maybe because it's new and I'm checking it out (I design websites for a living so I need to know about just about every browser available!), but I think also the interface is nicely unobtrusive and compact, it renders pages at a reasonable clip and most sites seem to work fine with it.

So I was wondering who here is using Safari as their main browser and why; and if you're not, let us know why!
Arbernaut
----------------------------------
Pixelsurgeon
Arbernaut
Pixelsurgeon
post #2 of 77
Me! It's fast as all hell! WOOHOOO!
post #3 of 77
I do mainly because it's faster. It also handles certain pages IE had trouble with.

Plus, it's Apple software, and that means comfort!

Jeff
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.
post #4 of 77
Safari is my number one choice now. Though it have some little bugs, it never got too serious.

its speed, interface and bookmarks won me over.
iSurf, iSaw and iType
iSurf, iSaw and iType
post #5 of 77
I am.

There are still a few rare JavaScript and CSS issues on some of the sites I frequent, but I just drop into Navigator for those. It's amazing how slow and incomplete Navigator now feels next to Safari. Mmm!
post #6 of 77
Another vote here.

Just the speed and brilliant bookmarks organization alone won me over. I'm still dazzled by just how good it is.
post #7 of 77
i would love safari to be my default browser. unfortunately, OS 9 doesn't know what .app means
post #8 of 77
safari 90% of the time, Chimera the rest....g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #9 of 77
I've used Safari exclusively since last week's keynote and haven't had a single problem (no crashes, no improperly displayed sites, etc.).

The ONLY thing odd is a slight windows sizing/placement quirk (which I talk about in a thread in "Software"). But seeing how this is still in the beta stage, I'm not getting too keyed up about that.

Safari is wonderful. Just what I was hoping for: a slick, fast and clean browswer written to run on an OS made by the same company that MAKES the OS.

Our own little version of Microsoft!

post #10 of 77
One more here.

Its quite amazing. I have tried to change browser from IE a couple of times and with Chimera I was close. I removed all other browsers from my dock once I had downloaded Safari, made the debug menu active to make the "Open with another browser" option active. But since I found out how to use Hotmail with Safari I have had reason to use anything else.
post #11 of 77
My default too. I used to use Chimera, but I like Safari's minimal user interface, and SnapBack feature.

Bookmark managment is awesome and it's just as fast as Chimera. I've learned to live without Tabs.
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
post #12 of 77
I use it exclusively for browsing, but it has an annoying little bug when previewing pages in Dreamweaver, where you have to quit it before previewing in order for it to work. So I generally preview in IE first, then in Safari when I'm done.

My site is much prettier in Safari, I must say.
post #13 of 77
Internet Explorer.

Maybe Mozilla when I want to zip around the web. But IE has always been my browser of choice on the Mac (my first Mac was a first generation Bondi-Blue iMac).

I think Safari has a looooong way to go before even reaching IE or even Chimera (never tried that).

One thing I notice (and need from other web applications) about Safari with Mail is that they can both be online and downloading without much stress on each other. With other non-native applications this has been a problem (Hell, always with web apps in OS 9) where one will slow down signifigantly because the other is operating (downloading).

Guess this is because Safari/Mail are OS X native. Wish other apps start "switching".

I give Safari another 6 months...then we'll see. They really need to improve the Download features. More like IE's Download Manager...which is great.
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
I AM THE Royal Pain in the Ass.
post #14 of 77
Safari fulltime except to preview html pages from Dreamweaver, Safari won't open them (if switching).
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #15 of 77
Safari, except when I'm testing a site locally. For some reason, some links on my site will screw up the URL in Safari. I dunno. It's probably my shoddy coding but it works in EVERY other browser I've ever tried. For those situations, I just use OW. It's nice to not have deal with IE ever.
post #16 of 77
I also use Safari as my main browser. 29 times out of 30 it works fine for me. If not, I use Chimera.
hmmm.... I need something clever here....
hmmm.... I need something clever here....
post #17 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by torifile:
<strong>Safari, except when I'm testing a site locally. For some reason, some links on my site will screw up the URL in Safari. I dunno. It's probably my shoddy coding but it works in EVERY other browser I've ever tried. For those situations, I just use OW. It's nice to not have deal with IE ever.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had this problem as well and found the Safari doesn't work with the 'localhost' designation very well (doesn't handle relative links???) I switched all my local references to 127.0.0.1 and all is well. Don't know if this is what your seeing or not but it might help.
post #18 of 77
I use Safari as my sole browser now. I'm pretty happy with it. IE was always a nightmare, and Chimera just wasn't quite stable enough for me. I've trashed 'em both. Safari works just fine for my needs.
Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my iPhone
post #19 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by physguy:
<strong>

I had this problem as well and found the Safari doesn't work with the 'localhost' designation very well (doesn't handle relative links???) I switched all my local references to 127.0.0.1 and all is well. Don't know if this is what your seeing or not but it might help. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm, I'll try that. Thanks.
post #20 of 77
I use it all the time now I love it alot!

To be honest tho, there has been 1 instance where I have had to use IE and that because of a javascript or something like that running a part of the page!
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
post #21 of 77
I am also using Safar as my main browser. I've had a few problems with it but it's the same problems I had with IE on specific sites...so no big deal. I LOVE the new bookmarking system! If they add autofill...it'll seal the deal for me. Oh, and make sure you send lots of feedback to Apple. I think they're serious about making this an awsome browser so let's help out!
"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver
"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver
post #22 of 77
Me! I only had it crash once.

Go to <a href="http://www.ebnews.com" target="_blank">www.ebnews.com</a> and tell me what you see wrong here with safari...

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: Outsider ]</p>
post #23 of 77
I'm using it as my main browser. The only thing it's missing is tabs.
post #24 of 77
I've used it exclusively since it had been released. All of my bookmarks are easily accessible in the bookmark toolbar. My only gripe is that sometimes pages don't even load when they're supposed to. The work around is to relaunch Safari- which is a pain.

And Bring On The Tabs!
post #25 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:
<strong>Internet Explorer.

Maybe Mozilla when I want to zip around the web. But IE has always been my browser of choice on the Mac (my first Mac was a first generation Bondi-Blue iMac).

I think Safari has a looooong way to go before even reaching IE or even Chimera (never tried that).

One thing I notice (and need from other web applications) about Safari with Mail is that they can both be online and downloading without much stress on each other. With other non-native applications this has been a problem (Hell, always with web apps in OS 9) where one will slow down signifigantly because the other is operating (downloading).

Guess this is because Safari/Mail are OS X native. Wish other apps start "switching".

I give Safari another 6 months...then we'll see. They really need to improve the Download features. More like IE's Download Manager...which is great.</strong><hr></blockquote>
you need to try OW
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #26 of 77
I now primarily use Safari. However, one strange bug occurs when I attempt to view some eBay auction items. I get a screen telling me "access to this particular category or item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in your home country"...etc. Using IE, I can view the same item normally. Has anyone else encountered this on eBay, and what might be causing this on Safari but not on IE?
post #27 of 77
Using it as my main browser, but switch to mozilla for hotmail and carsdirect.com...thats it!
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of... -TMBG
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of... -TMBG
post #28 of 77
I'm using it full time but the window position bug is quite annoying and I hope Apple fixes it soon. Otherwise it's the best browser I've ever used.
post #29 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by imacFP:
<strong>I'm using it full time but the window position bug is quite annoying and I hope Apple fixes it soon. Otherwise it's the best browser I've ever used.</strong><hr></blockquote>
I agree. That bug is VERY annoying!
post #30 of 77
Safari is my default browser now. It's just better than the alternatives for my purposes: It's fast and reasonably standards compliant and lean, in every sense of the word.

I was glad to hear that OmniWeb's looking at WebCore, though. If they graft OW's flat-out gorgeous UI and fat feature set on top of that rendering engine, I'm sold.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #31 of 77
OmniWeb is going to be Safari on super macho steriod adrenaline crack pills.
post #32 of 77
*raises hand*

Who wouldn't?
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
~:My scraps:~
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
~:My scraps:~
post #33 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by Amorph:
<strong>
I was glad to hear that OmniWeb's looking at WebCore, though. If they graft OW's flat-out gorgeous UI and fat feature set on top of that rendering engine, I'm sold.
</strong>
<hr></blockquote>

From what I've been reading WebCore on it's own is next to useless. The people on cocoa-dev are hoping for WebKit to be open-sourced as well as (they believe) it exposes the WebCore functionality at a higher level.

There have been a few snide comments claiming Apple are following the letter, but not the spirit of the LGPL by releasing such an opaque component, but they have promised to release an SDK, so I'll guess we'll know the truth when it arrives.

The problem is they probably won't release it until after Safari is finalized and released. This may be too long a wait for Omni, especially if they don't know Apple's intentions. I'm hoping they can work something out though.
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
post #34 of 77
I use Chimera virtually all the time with Safari playing second fiddle. I find the latest nightlies of Chimera to be much faster and more stable than Safari at the moment; maybe I'm just used to Chimera's foibles but it feels like a much more mature app to me.

I have that pipelining thing enabled in Chimera so that may be some of the speed difference, but Safari doesn't seem very quick at all on my iBook. I would guess it's because it's been Altivec-optimized to hell and back, and the G4 users are seeing the biggest gain. That's the main reason I don't use it, but also there seems to be some sort of problem with downloads; I use Speed Download as the download manager for all my browsers and Safari will send the url over to it but then crash directly afterwards. Theres also been a few other little errors that have turned me off from using it heavily, I'm looking forward to the 1.0 and subsequent releases though.

I thought the Omniweb team was rewriting their rendering engine from the ground up in Cocoa, not using some existing rendering engine?

[ 01-17-2003: Message edited by: hotboxd ]</p>
post #35 of 77
I'm using Safari pretty much full time.
I only use Tabs every once and a while, but it would be a nice feature. I also wish they had OmniWebs download manager.
Love the bookmarks!
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #36 of 77
I'm using Safari full time almost. A few sites I use Netscape for and today I found one I had to go to IE for.

<a href="http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au" target="_blank">Try this</a> under Safari or Netscape then try it under IE. Safari and Netscape don't even render it wrong they just can't even access the page.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #37 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by stupider...likeafox:
<strong>

From what I've been reading WebCore on it's own is next to useless. The people on cocoa-dev are hoping for WebKit to be open-sourced as well as (they believe) it exposes the WebCore functionality at a higher level.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wonder what their definition of "useless" is. It's probably not as slick as the average Cocoa framework, but that's not surprising given that it's a slightly massaged codebase taken from Linux.

[quote]<strong>There have been a few snide comments claiming Apple are following the letter, but not the spirit of the LGPL by releasing such an opaque component, but they have promised to release an SDK, so I'll guess we'll know the truth when it arrives.

The problem is they probably won't release it until after Safari is finalized and released. This may be too long a wait for Omni, especially if they don't know Apple's intentions. I'm hoping they can work something out though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Funny; I read most of this as "they won't release it until they're done working on it," which seems fine with me. Developing on a moving target is a PITA.

And anyone who thinks KHTML is opaque should be thanking God on their knees that Apple didn't adopt Gecko.

I don't see how waiting for 1.0 Final will negatively impact OmniGroup in any way. Unless Apple takes 9 months or more to get Safari out of beta, it'll be finished long before Omni's own renderer would have been.

If Omni and others get a finished, polished SDK and codebase to work on, where's the harm in that? They don't have to release their browsers concurrently with Safari to compete.

[ 01-17-2003: Message edited by: Amorph ]

[ 01-17-2003: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>

Original music:

Original music:
post #38 of 77
Safari still has some issues with cookies. It is my 'main' browser though.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #39 of 77
Not just yet: there are some weird javascript bugs that annoy the hell out of me (hey, if every other browser can play properly, whay can't Safari?), but I do use it for the times when the godawful slowness of IE annoys me too much.

I never realised how poor IE is until I got broadband (dial-up can't deliver pages quickly enough to highlight how woeful it is), but I've got Mozilla, Nutscrape, IE, Safari and Chimera loaded at the moment (not to mention Nutscrape and IE on my Windoze machine) and Safari blows the lot of them into the weeds.

Come the final release, I can see the rest being consigned to the test drive and not featuring in my day-to-day activities...
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
post #40 of 77
One more over here.

I just started using it for the first time last night on my iBook 800, and it FLIES. It's the only browser I'll use. No problems so far.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Who is using Safari as their main browser?