or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Who is using Safari as their main browser?

Who is using Safari as their main browser? - Page 2

post #41 of 77
I use Safari for all my casual browsing (AI, news, Mac sites, etc.).

There are a few sites that I regularly must use that have developers seemingly aware of only one browser (IE), so I have to use IE daily too.
post #42 of 77
I was using Safari most of the time, but still had to open Chimera until I found the Hotmail trick and the DLL trick for the online banks for Safari. Now I am using Safari all of the time. I haven't come across a site yet that requires me to open another browser.

Yay Apple! Yay Konqueror!
post #43 of 77
I have tried to use Safari as my default a couple of times, but I've always ended up switching back to Chimera after a few minutes or hours. Chimera just seems better and easier to use for me. I am really used to tabs and I hate it when I don't have them. The way I browse these forums is I go to the first one, middle-click (to open a new tab) on all the topics I might be interested in, and as the posts load in the background, I start loading the next forum. It's great.

In Safari, it somewhat makes up for the lack of tabs by having both the snap-back feature and super fast forward and back navigation. Those both help the problem of getting back to a site viewed previously, but they're not as simple and easy as tabs.

Also, Safari doesn't have a graphite-aware interface, as it displays blue in the status bar even if your interface is set to graphite. Extremely minor detail, just noticed it. I am not too fond of the brushed metal either... it seems too heavy. I really prefer Chimera's interface, with a FULLY customizeable toolbar, a throbber instead of a status bar (which it still has, at the bottom), and a simpler bookmark layout. Safari's attempt at using the toolbar, the menu, and the extra folders is just too much. I much prefer the simple drawer of Chimera.

That said, Safari is still pretty good for a beta release. Of course, Chimera is beta too, and it's the best IMO. It helped when I installed the Full Screen Safari application enhancer, but it was still not enough to sway me from Chimera. It also lacks a keychain.
post #44 of 77
Me....
Ah yes, now I can breath!

Ah yes, now I can breath!

post #45 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by Amorph:
<strong>
Funny; I read most of this as "they won't release it until they're done working on it," which seems fine with me. Developing on a moving target is a PITA.

And anyone who thinks KHTML is opaque should be thanking God on their knees that Apple didn't adopt Gecko.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

I read it that way to, but when they're done there will need to be something else other than WebCore or people simply wont be able to use it. This is different from developing on an evolving framework. It's more like finishing a puzzle with pieces missing.

And to clarify, it's not KHTML that people are complaining about, it's WebCore.

Quote from Dave Hyatt's weblog:

[quote]I keep receiving emails from people trying to build applications using WebCore. People are asking me for help or advice on implementing the bridge inside WebCore.

I don't know why people are trying to do this. It should be obvious from looking at the code that WebCore and JavascriptCore are incomplete, and that there are other pieces required in order to build an application around the Safari engine.

If you're trying to embed the Safari layout engine right now, stop it! Don't try to build code around these two components.

Update:: Quoted from ADC: "In addition to providing the best web browser for Mac users, one of the goals of Safari is to provide a fast and efficient HTML rendering engine for Mac application developers. Apple is actively
preparing a Safari SDK that will be available later this year."

In other words, all good things come to those who wait, so be patient!
<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/hyatt/" target="_blank">http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/hyatt/</a>
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
post #46 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by Brad:
<strong>I was using Safari most of the time, but still had to open Chimera until I found the Hotmail trick and the DLL trick for the online banks for Safari. Now I am using Safari all of the time. I haven't come across a site yet that requires me to open another browser.

Yay Apple! Yay Konqueror! </strong><hr></blockquote>
Brad using Chimera? I thought you'd use OmniWeb over Chimera.
post #47 of 77
This is why Safari's my main browser. Screw them on both counts.

[ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: JoeBruin ]</p>
post #48 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by JoeBruin:
<strong>This is why Safari's my main browser. Screw them on both counts.

[ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: JoeBruin ]</strong><hr></blockquote>
I've played that a couple of times in the past and it always worked for me in Chimera and IE even though it says that on the bottom.
post #49 of 77
i don't like the fact that you can't access the bookmark menu from the pulldown menu. (i know it's on the menu bar but old habits die hard) but that's the only thing i've found that i'm not comfortable with.
when using chimera i always had ie on the dock as i needed it for certain sites. i've only found one site that is not right on safari.
i miss tabbing a little, and i'm not really using snapback at all.
but i can see this being the only browser on my dock. which i couldn't with chimera
post #50 of 77
i take it back i do use snap back....at this site.....lol
post #51 of 77
Hmm... I just got to my dorm today (hooray for broadband!), and I decided to try Safari on my fast connection here. Surprisingly, it wasn't very fast. Faster than IE, of course, but Chimera shows much more improvement when moving from a slow connection to a fast one. I suppose those speed tests measured Safari against the last official release of Chimera, not the latest nightly build. I've seen Chimera get faster almost every time I download a nightly (about one or two times a month).
post #52 of 77
Brad,

What happened - I seem to recall that you opposed Apple releasing their own browser. And yes, EmAn, I also thought Brad was an Omniwed (pun intended) guy. Brad, second thoughts?
20" iMac G5, 2 GB Ram, OS X 10.4.11, .Mac
post #53 of 77
I still hate Chimera's interface with a passion, but even I can admit that it's fast and compatible on the rare occasions that I need it.

Did I say it would be a bad thing for Apple to release its own browser? Yes, but at the time there were only two options that we were considering: an all-new Apple HTML engine or Gecko. With the former, people were afraid it would tax too many resources or end up not fitting the standards well enough. With the latter, well, I think the Gecko issue has already been hashed out as of late.

No one really expected Apple to take up Konqueror's engine. The situation has turned out surprisingly well, especially now that Rick has been saying that Omni may merge WebCore into OmniWeb for the next major release. Until that release, I'm satisfied with Safari. It's faster than Chimera in many cases and has a far better interface. It lacks OmniWeb's advanced feature set but, again, I think I can hold off until OW5. Besides, Safari itself still isn't officially finished and may have a few features added by GM.

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
post #54 of 77
I'm sticking with Chimera until Safari goes GM. I guess I'm pretty happy with Chimera, except maybe for the odd text entry behavior on occasion. But I'm satisfied enough not to rush immediately to Safari. Chimera is fast and I like the tabbed browsing feature.
post #55 of 77
Not that you need another reply, saying YES but...

I switched to Safari from day one...I gave it 2 days of serious testing out and then deleted every trace of IE5 from my system.

Now I send an email a day to M$ to complain that hotmail won't work because of there nasty browser detection.

It's Apple, It's Intuitive, It's Fast...

Things I'd like in it? Better linking in with other iApps, nice if iCal could float in a reminder over my browsing in a transparent window, Storing of pictures straight into iPhoto would also be nice and of course a faciltiy to bookmark a web page against a name in your address book would also rock...
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
Batman!
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
Batman!
post #56 of 77
I used Safari and only Safari but lately, on my Powerbook G4 especially, it has seemed to be getting considerably slower and stalling on a lot more pages.....

annoying

and I miss the auction manager from IE as I am a constant eBay watcher

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
post #57 of 77
I'm using it day to day, though I will certainly check out any OmniWeb updates when they come out.

If I were to add a suggestion here, it would be to save bookmarks to the Sites folder similarly to how iTunes and iPhoto use their respective media folders. There's a nice correlation with the default user folders in OS X and the iApps actually (obviously the Documents folder is a catch-all).
post #58 of 77
Safari just passed 1 million downloads according to Apple!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #59 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>I used Safari and only Safari but lately, on my Powerbook G4 especially, it has seemed to be getting considerably slower and stalling on a lot more pages.....

annoying

and I miss the auction manager from IE as I am a constant eBay watcher

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: applenut ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you tried sherlock's auction watcher feature? I've used it a couple times and it worked fine.
post #60 of 77
Just noticed something, when you go to apple's main page there's a little icon in the top left corner welcoming safari user's. how nice. Of course this means that safari is my default browser.
post #61 of 77
That is pretty nice. "Welcome, Safari User."
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #62 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:
<strong>If I were to add a suggestion here, it would be to save bookmarks to the Sites folder</strong><hr></blockquote>This is not the purpose of the Sites folder. This directory is the default location for the apache web server to host pages for individual users. For example, turn on your web sharing and go to <a href="http://127.0.0.1/~yourusername" target="_blank">http://127.0.0.1/~yourusername</a> and you'll see what I mean.
post #63 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by torifile:
<strong>

Have you tried sherlock's auction watcher feature? I've used it a couple times and it worked fine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ive tried and it never worked well for me always forgot which auctions I was tracking...guess ill give it another shot

btw, apple.com now identifies safri users.....
post #64 of 77
I'm using Safari 95% of the time. Only switch to IE on few pages Safari can't handle
Lose your dreams and you may lose your mind
Lose your dreams and you may lose your mind
post #65 of 77
alright...can anyone check this

.Mac -&gt; iCards -&gt; create your own

the pictures folder listing never comes up in safari.

can it be that apple's own site doesnt work in their own browser?
post #66 of 77
<strong>alright...can anyone check this

.Mac -&gt; iCards -&gt; create your own

the pictures folder listing never comes up in safari.

can it be that apple's own site doesnt work in their own browser?</strong><hr></blockquote>

.Mac uses some pretty sophisticated javascript and stuff, so I'm not surprised. A little disappointed, but not surprised.
post #67 of 77
<strong>
btw, apple.com now identifies safri users.....
</strong><hr></blockquote>

All we need now is for them to give discounts to us. That would really speed adoption rates.
post #68 of 77
Me. Just needs Tabs and AutoFill, but then, I just installed TypeIt4Me.

gah, and no Brushed Metal. Try Metallifizer, it makes Safari so much easier on the eyes.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #69 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:
<strong>

gah, and no Brushed Metal. Try Metallifizer, it makes Safari so much easier on the eyes.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Really? I think Safari is the one app that brushed metal looks good in.
post #70 of 77
I would agree, Eman. I like the brushed metal on Safari.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #71 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar:
<strong>i don't like the fact that you can't access the bookmark menu from the pulldown menu. (i know it's on the menu bar but old habits die hard)</strong><hr></blockquote>

hear, hear! definetily!
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
~:My scraps:~
"I've learned there's more to life than being really, really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking. :-x" - Zoolander
~:My scraps:~
post #72 of 77
Safari here. I am using the jungle style from Lioness. it works with the motif
post #73 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by kcmac:
<strong>I would agree, Eman. I like the brushed metal on Safari.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think so too. I was turned off initially, but it has since grown on me.
post #74 of 77
I've switched, though I still use Chimera for the Mac Ach over on Ars, whose new design relies heavely on javascript.
post #75 of 77
[quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:
<strong>

I think so too. I was turned off initially, but it has since grown on me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Same here.
post #76 of 77
Sweet little touches in this browser. Drag an image and it becomes semi-transparent. Drag a link, and it's nicely formatted, semi-transparent again. Nice little elegant touches in this thing and it's only a beta. Ok, the other browsers do the translucent thing, but it just looks better in Safari. (and the link thing is really cool looking)
post #77 of 77
i just noticed the transparent drag too, i'm like....wha.....?

i don't miss autophil (hehe) he was always getting me into trouble on a few recipe sites (instead of 10 ounces it'd read 1011 south ave.....)
but i would like the keychain thingy that chimera has....that was really useful, and easy to deal with.

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: superkaratemonkeydeathcar ]</p>
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Who is using Safari as their main browser?