or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple unveils near final version of Mac OS X Leopard

Apple unveils near final version of Mac OS X Leopard - Page 2

post #41 of 152
As a dot mac subscriber I am pretty excited that Steve even mentioned the service. I can't believe how Apple has forgotten about dot mac. Especially when it has such great potential. Maybe this will be the beginning of something... integration with the iphone. It would be nice if you didn't have to pay for the subscription to dot mac if you were an iphone user. Then at least you get something out of signing that two year contract. Oh, and Safari3 is working just fine for me right now... as a matter of fact, it is burning up the pages. Much better than 2.
post #42 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

Whew! Glad I wasn't dreaming. Thanks for making me realize that I wasn't the only one. Yeah, I too have been seeing the things that Linux has been up to with Beryl. I do say though, I really do like the features of "Quick Look." Especially the part where you can view the contents of a file without even opening it. That and the "Cover Flow" apsect of it. I like that there are nice asthetic aspects of Leopard (maybe not as cool as Beryl) but also convenient features that make work flow easier and faster.

those announced features are not without merit, but aren't the stand up and cheer features i was expecting based on the progress of both linux and windows in the 3d space. maybe apple has invested so much in making cool 2D transitions look 3D that things like expose wouldn't function correctly without some amount of considerable work for the 3d cube landscape, but it seems like it would be fairly easy to add the ability to slide your windows off to the side in a neatly organized stack or relayer them in 3D without fussing with expose. expose, though cool, is almost outdated by these other concepts.

given the new core animation tools, it's a bit surprising and unexpected not to see a bit more 3D in the general user space. adding coverflow to preview was cool, but really didn't seem like it was quite enough. but again, perhaps adding 3D to 2D windows restricts the abilities to move those windows around in a 3D space since you'd then be able to see whats behind them. I DUNNO... just thinking out loud
post #43 of 152
I thought it was funny when the commentator on apple's website says: "only in Leopard" about Spaces. Uh... sorry, you can do that in Linux, Windows, and TIger. You might have to install some freeware though.
post #44 of 152
Oh my god pmjoe is posting from the future! 2019!!

What is Apple's newest invention? And should I buy stock?
post #45 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Your right. The Beryl stuff is way better. THe wavy windows would increase my productivity 10 fold.

on my home computer im less concerned with productivity and more concerned with eye candy. less compelled by the wavy windows, i love the idea of having a 3D box to toggle around for the right desktop or "space."

http://www.wired.com/software/coolap...7/06/core_anim

and for what is possible with core animation, not everything has to be a wavy window or a 3D box. It could be a simple as a puff of smoke when a window or drop down closes. like the sparkle fx on beryl when you've chosen something from a menu. cool. light on resources. not insanely hard to integrate for apple geniuses.

i dont think its too much to expect given what's out there
post #46 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

You mean iChat Theater? It doesn't let you remotely control a friends Mac; it just lets you show apps that are running on your Mac (show your Powerpoint/Keynote slides, etc.).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/ichat.html

No, not iChat theater. I know about that. At first, that's what I thought as well (that I was confusing the 2). But I just remember seeing both features (Theater and this Remote Desktop feature) as two distinct things. I also got some other people from other forums telling me the same thing, that they too remember seeing the "Remote Desktop" feature in iChat and seeing the Apple guy giving this demo. One thing that I remember seeing is the part where the "Remote Desktop" person giving permission to the "Controller" person to access their computer. I don't know, maybe I was dreaming, but other people remember seeing this too so it gives me some pause . . . .
post #47 of 152
Ooops double post.... and my posts show up before his...

That means he won't get my questions for another... 12 years. Damn.
post #48 of 152
Quote:

You mean iChat Theater? It doesn't let you remotely control a friends Mac; it just lets you show apps that are running on your Mac (show your Powerpoint/Keynote slides, etc.).

Actually, has anyone noticed that on the video demo of the new finder there appears to be an option to "Share Screen".

Could this be a new .Mac feature?

I don't believe this feature is mentioned on the Finder page or was talked about during the keynote. But could this be the feature which previously was in the iChat demo at Mac World?

For what it's worth I do remember this "remote control" feature being mentioned as part of iChat.

Can anyone grab a screen shot of this?
post #49 of 152
Overall, I'm less than impressed. While the new features are certainly worthwhile, I see nothing completely earth-shattering that will make ME run out to buy Leopard immediately. A few comments on some of the more noticeable features/improvements:

Cover Flow in Finder - I've been using "show icon preview" and increasing the size of my icons in all of my photography-related folders for ages now. I don't see how cover flow as a view option makes this obsolete in any way. In fact, I'd argue that my view options will actually help me find a particular photograph FASTER than cover flow will. Is cover flow cool? Certainly. Will it increase productivity? I'm unsure about that.

Time Machine - There's no doubt in my mind that this feature is very useful. But what about for users that have unbelievable amounts of data? Terabytes instead of gigabytes? What size external hard drive would you need to deal with that in Time Machine? Is it even feasible to use Time Machine for that amount of data? I think that user-created backup routines will still be the way to go for large amounts of data storage. Time Machine will be extremely useful for the average user, however.

Stacks - I fail to see how this is any different than placing a folder in the dock and holding a mouse click on it. Can you incorporate files from disparate locations in a stack? If so, then it may be useful to some. I just can't see a good, solid reason for using stacks over folders right now.

Spaces - Expose really makes this useless, if you ask me. While it's great to organize my window space according to function, with expose, I can see ALL my windows regardless of function already. This seems to be a one-step solution to finding the window I want instead of first changing spaces and then expose.

I realize that Leopard offers numerous improvements and features that I have yet to see, but overall I'm a bit disappointed. I think that if Apple makes some significant bug fixes in 10.4.10 (and beyond, if 10.4.11+ happens) and offers Safari 3.0 to Tiger users, I'll be staying with my stable, fairly ironed-out 10.4 system for some time to come.
post #50 of 152
What on earth is going on with the order of posts in this thread? I was the fifth person to post a reply, yet later in the evening other people have somehow managed to fit many posts in before mine. SpamSandwich also replied to the same post I did and yet his reply is showing up before the post to which he replied!
post #51 of 152
Quote:
Actually, has anyone noticed that on the video demo of the new finder there appears to be an option to "Share Screen".

I don't believe this feature is mentioned on the Finder page or was talked about during the keynote. But could this be the feature which previously was in the iChat demo at Mac World?

For what it's worth I do remember this "remote control" feature being mentioned as part of iChat.

Can anyone grab a screen shot of this

Sure thing. I found the "Share Screen" part in the video demo you're talking about. I think you're right, this could be where this feature now lives.

post #52 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchla View Post

Why did they take the Apple Store down? No new products were offered.

Could it be they were trying influence media reports and stock valuations? It sure is a suspicious chain of events.
post #53 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngfool View Post

Can anyone grab a screen shot of this?

On the Apple web page about the new Leopard Finder it says:

"But heres where things get really interesting. By clicking on a connected Mac, you can see and control that computer (if authorized, of course) as if you were sitting in front of it."

Looks like some form of remote control will be available, but perhaps they couldn't get it set up satisfactorily for the keynote?
post #54 of 152
I discounted the Quick View look before today. I love the fact that you can browse documents, play video in full screen, etc. Also, Photo Booth is getting video recoding functionality... the deprecation of Quicktime Pro continues.... YAY
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33GHZ 3GB Ram
120GB HDD, 6x DL SuperDrive
15.4" Glossy Screen
Mac OS 10.5.1

Counting the cars on the freeway below... lost in the music... all the foolishness of our lives...
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33GHZ 3GB Ram
120GB HDD, 6x DL SuperDrive
15.4" Glossy Screen
Mac OS 10.5.1

Counting the cars on the freeway below... lost in the music... all the foolishness of our lives...
post #55 of 152
Quote:

No (see my earlier reply). But speaking of iChat theater, I have been using this pretty cool app (it's an add-on to iChat) called ShowMacster that basically does the iChat Theater thing. But I have been using it for over a year now. Pretty cool thing. Check it out.
post #56 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlast42 View Post

On the Apple web page about the new Leopard Finder it says:

"But heres where things get really interesting. By clicking on a connected Mac, you can see and control that computer (if authorized, of course) as if you were sitting in front of it."

Looks like some form of remote control will be available, but perhaps they couldn't get it set up satisfactorily for the keynote?

Funny. On that page, it only mentions connected Macs "in your house" (it’s far easier to find or access files on any computer in your house, whether Mac or PC) and NOT connected Macs in general. I'm guessing (hoping??) that this feature will also be available with ANY connected Mac (even if it's connected via the internet).
post #57 of 152
Quote:

I remember that too, maybe its in the screenshare function we can see in some of the videos.
post #58 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by debohun View Post

Could it be they were trying influence media reports and stock valuations? It sure is a suspicious chain of events.

Why are people over anylizing this so much? They freaking updated their entire site, includding changes to their store. Isn't that worthy of putting the site down temporarily? (yes)
post #59 of 152
Good thing they managed to hide all this amazing innovations from Redmond's prying eyes!
post #60 of 152
Leopard has over 300 new features. For me, a huge part of what makes the upgrade worthwhile is not the huge super-hyped mega features but the little "attention to detail" features, which Leopard is sure to be filled with.

And you really can't complain about the big features. They are signifficant -- they should improve usability and navigation for one. Stop pissing and moaning, seriously.

What would you have liked Apple to include that they didn't????????????? (And how do you know they didn't include these features-- keep in mind they could be unannounced like ZFS)
post #61 of 152
It looks nice but the navigation is a bit clumsy. I think they should introduce a secondary nav bar under their current one. I know on the Mac tab the scrolly thing showing the different products is suppose to be a secondary nav bar, but it's really not intuitive enough.
post #62 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedillydotcom View Post

It seems like from what I can tell, with every instance of beryl i've watched, that linux is making leaps and bounds over what MS and Apple are offering in terms of 3D desktops. I have no idea how usable they are, what hardware it takes to run them, or how easy they are to setup, but they sure are wowing me to the point that i'd consider installing linux on one of my machines.

Yeah... I would install Beryl just so my windows can do that retarded floppy rubber paper thing every time I drag one across the screen. Real productivity enhancements, for real working class folk. It's no coincidence why every Beryl demo you see on the 'net is accompanied by a thumping, Euro-trash techo soundtrack: Beryl enthusiasts are all gay.
post #63 of 152
YOU ALL SUCK!

everyone expects everything ever rumored immediately made available by the end of every keynote. everyone's disappointed or let down.

if you would just wait a week, you'd think, "hey apple is in a better position now that they have safari on windows." and when they're ready they'll be releasing the new imac for back to school buyers. hasn't anyone listened to apple when they stopped attending MacWorld's to make product announcements?

The "little" things they announced are all just another small step in the right direction and in my mind they're ahead of the competition in a lot of ways.

The ONE thing i really sorta expected to be detailed was support for ZFS, but maybe steve is being spiteful now that sun spilled the beans early. ZFS is going to be a MAJOR step ahead for OS X and apple and it will be overlooked just the same as every other innovation announced as becoming a part of OS X today. Every one of you rumor mongers expect HUGE product updates and LOWER prices, Apple never did HUGE updates, never did LOW prices and they never will!

and you know everyone should be way more appreciative of what we have when we buy our macs... those with the ball n chain, microsoft, get nothing but security updates between every OS upgrade every 5 years, that then breaks their systems anyway.
post #64 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nah. This is typical... buy (pump up the stock) on the rumors, sell on the news. Nothing new here.

Another big factor is June AAPL Option expirations this friday. If the Hedge funds have a big position on being able to sell the stock at $125 on friday (when its price is ~$120), then they will sell (at a profit) some of their horde of stock to keep the price below $125. They make money both ways.Option expiration fridays historically produce strange gyrations in stock movement during that week especially for rocket stocks like AAPL. Ill informed AAPL option investors who thought the stock would easily zoom past $125 because of all the iPhone and WWDC hype may take a serious bath this week. The hedgies rule this game. For AAPL investors, sit tight and wait at least til next week before doing anything.
post #65 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Leopard has over 300 new features. For me, a huge part of what makes the upgrade worthwhile is not the huge super-hyped mega features but the little "attention to detail" features, which Leopard is sure to be filled with.

And you really can't complain about the big features. They are signifficant -- they should improve usability and navigation for one. Stop pissing and moaning, seriously.

What would you have liked Apple to include that they didn't????????????? (And how do you know they didn't include these features-- keep in mind they could be unannounced like ZFS)

I'm glad somebody here has actually counted them and not just quoted Apple's press releases!

And I'm 100% with you that we don't know just how many top secret invisible features Apple has included in Leopard.

For all we know there could be millions of them.

We are still months away from the October release date and personally I am hoping that Apple takes even more time. All those Windows users have held off buying Vista in anticipation, they won't mind a few more months. After all what do you want? A bug ridden release with only eye candy upgrades or a well tested OS with even more secret features?

The executives at Redmond are all panicking and selling off their stock options as we speak!
post #66 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

"Sure to be filled with"? I'm sorry, but I'll wait for the list. Because previous "150 new features" lists will filled with crap that really meant nothing to most people. Personally, I could care less about mail changes, since I don't use Mail as my mail program. Nor do I use iChat (sorry, no matter what I tell family and friends, they all keep buying PCs because they're 'on budgets' and can't afford macs. Everyone talks TCO, no one talks "credit card debt").

And Apple isn't the little detail company they used to be. It used to be they'd care about the users, make sure things worked, were consistent, etc. Its taken Apple 5 years to get back to 'consistent' (based so far on the screen shots, but everything is subject to change). And they've yet to fix the stupid finder bug that irritates the hell out of me, the "No one wants to keep "Calculate all sizes" turned on, so we'll automatically turn it off after a while" bug. Let alone worthless spinning beachballs because, heaven forbid, connecting to an iDisk or a new disk should be something one could do while performing other tasks. But why worry about these problems when you can splash on a new sidebar!
post #67 of 152
I think that the new top secret features (if these really are the top secret features or if apple are just playing with our minds) are a bit of a let down I must say. But I must agree when some say that we expected to much hype and wanted to believe everything rumour sites have told us.
But don't get me wrong, I think Leopard will be a great Operating System, plus I believe the web-site does say something about features are subject to change, but who knows. I hope Apple does add some newer features but for now I think they're pretty good and we will all learn to love Leopard. I must say before learning of the first set features for Leopard, I wondered to myself, what more could apple add to the already great OS??? But I was amazed by what they came up with!!!

Is the Safari3Beta what we're to expect from the new safari or are they giving us a full feature when Leopard comes out, cause by the looks of it, it's pretty much the same. Also the windows version doesn't have the same UI as we do, it doesn't have the same brushed metal look, which I thought might be apart of it.

I was also wondering if anyone new where I can find out the System Requirements for Leopard, I want to know if my iBookG4 1ghz will run Leopard or not, I hope so!!!
post #68 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

"Sure to be filled with"? I'm sorry, but I'll wait for the list. Because previous "150 new features" lists will filled with crap that really meant nothing to most people. Personally, I could care less about mail changes, since I don't use Mail as my mail program. Nor do I use iChat (sorry, no matter what I tell family and friends, they all keep buying PCs because they're 'on budgets' and can't afford macs. Everyone talks TCO, no one talks "credit card debt").

And Apple isn't the little detail company they used to be. It used to be they'd care about the users, make sure things worked, were consistent, etc. Its taken Apple 5 years to get back to 'consistent' (based so far on the screen shots, but everything is subject to change). And they've yet to fix the stupid finder bug that irritates the hell out of me, the "No one wants to keep "Calculate all sizes" turned on, so we'll automatically turn it off after a while" bug. Let alone worthless spinning beachballs because, heaven forbid, connecting to an iDisk or a new disk should be something one could do while performing other tasks. But why worry about these problems when you can splash on a new sidebar!

I think you missed my point. I wasn't talking about stationary or to-dos in mail as small features. In fact, those are the over-hyped rather useless features. I'm talking about the little changes. The button that's here instead of there... the thumbnail that's just that much better, the preference that gives you just *that* much more flexability, the hidden underpinnings of the OS, the extra speed or performance boost, the pop=up dictionary that allows you to look up the definition of a word in a flash...
post #69 of 152
Some people will always be "under-impressed" or dissatisfied or "under-whelmed" or find fault with anything Apple does. That's life.

I I have been looking through the Leopard pages on Apple.com and know that I will upgrade in the fall for one computer, then my main computers after the first update. It has a lot of functionality that will help me (a creative professional) create more quickly. QuickLook is awesome and that this can be done in CoverView is nice for when I need to show off to the boss; QuickView alone is worth the cost to me. Spaces will make my desktop far less cluttered than it is now (my old machine had virtual desktop software but it wasn't stable so I ditched it).

The new synth voice, Alex is AWESOME and something I will use daily. I am very, very tired of Fred.

All in all, a good update for $129.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #70 of 152
Lamest keynote since the return of Steve... maybe before.

I can't believe he didn't at least cover some additional features of the iPhone. We haven't seen ringtones, the calender, the camera function, etc etc etc etc etc.

And how about some of the 290 other features of Leopard we haven't allready seen?

Personally, I like the new translucent title bar. I just wish it extended to ALL windows/programs. I thought brushed metal was dead? How come it's still apparent in the finder, etc etc. All windows should be dark translucent. Coolness.

Thank god the dock changed. It's so annoying. I hope they fixed that aspect of it. It always seems to be in the way, and never quite the right size. I like windows to be full-screen, it complicates that.

It's sad when the only new product is Safari for WINDOWS!

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

post #71 of 152
Oh you guys know that in order to run Leopard you'll need a 64-bit processor since there's no 32-bit version!! Which means everyone with a G4 or intel core duo will need a new mac with a g5 or core 2 duo intel processor. You can't do I little upgrade like more memory like you could in Vista. Kinda ironic isn't it how the commercial says that you'll need major surgery (which was an exaggeration you only need 1gb of ram even though you could sneek by with 512( not recommended)) to run vista but in order to run Leopard they'll need a new computer. You tell me which is more expensive.

Fir more clarification the Core Duo is just 32bit and not 64 like the core 2 duo. So how does it feel to have laughed at the windoze fools having to go through "major surgery" in order to run vista but you with your Mactel you bought in 2006 can't run leopard in 2007 and must buy a brand new computer no little upgrade is available for you!!

yeah let that sink in!! The irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife!!!
post #72 of 152
Leopard, at first, seemed blah. The nothing new -- besides three features. But the ones that we did see, the desktop, the finder and the quick look, seem respectable. And stackables is my new best friend -- I hate a mess on my desktop, just ask my girlfriend. Now I don't need folders, nor do I need to open a new window to look at the folders I frequent.

Is Leopard worth a delay? Not yet. Is it worth buying when it comes out? I think so.
post #73 of 152
Does anyone know if the new Finder has tabs (like Path Finder). If not, why not?
post #74 of 152
I get an odd feeling the Apple is really working hard on something that they aren't showing yet, and might not for another year.

Just a feeling.

post #75 of 152
So many newbies on the boards... guess that's good for the future of AAPL...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #76 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by psilo View Post

YOU ALL SUCK!

everyone expects everything ever rumored immediately made available by the end of every keynote. everyone's disappointed or let down.

The ONE thing i really sorta expected to be detailed was support for ZFS

Relax, Pizmo. I think most of us have come to take it for granted that a big, headline-grabbing splash should be expected at every Jobsnote. I'm pretty underwhelmed by today's news, as most people seem to be. Granted that there appears to be a lot of enhancing and back-end adjustments of the OS, but after all the keynote speeches have typically been directed more at what consumers are interested and less at developers. Remember that Jobs made a big deal of the "Top Secret Features in Leopard" last fall... and he made a jab about not having Redmond start their photocopiers too soon. Would you honestly say that anything we saw today is something that Microsoft would crap their pants over?

I'm sure there are a lot of little bits n' pieces that Steve either glossed over or skipped entirely. There were a lot of rumored things that weren't mentioned, such as resolution-independent graphics. I would really like to see a list of these "300 new features & enhancements" -- does anyone know if Apple ever does or would post something like this? Personally, I was really hoping they were going to tear the lid of something groundbreaking, like a multi-touch interface. The thing about Apple though (at least w/ Jobs running the show), is that they DO NOT hesitate to shelf what they've been cooking if it's either half-baked or the timing isn't right for it to hit market. I think it's even possible that blaming the delay of 10.5 on the iPhone may have been a ruse to stall for time to get some incredible new technology working right for the WWDC demo, couldn't get the bugs worked out in time, and chose to leave it out of this OS version.
post #77 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsmi View Post

Oh you guys know that in order to run Leopard you'll need a 64-bit processor since there's no 32-bit version!! Which means everyone with a G4 or intel core duo will need a new mac with a g5 or core 2 duo intel processor.

Doesn't seem to be the case. The Leopard preview for developers runs on G4, G5, and any Intel, apparently:

Mac OS X Leopard Developer Preview System Requirements
I have found out that on the Mac OS X Leopard Developer Preview DVD, handed-out to developers at WWDC, there is a file called Read Before You Install. In this file it says:

You must have a Macintosh computer with:

* an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 or G5 processor

* a DVD drive
* built-in FireWire
* at least 256 MB of RAM for a Power-PC based Mac and 512 MB for an Intel-based Mac (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)
* a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
* at least 6 GB of disk space available, or 8 GB if you install the developer tools

http://theplaceforitall.com/105requirements.html

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #78 of 152
did anyone else notice that an iSight camera was attached to the monitor in Job's keynote

wasnt that discontinued
post #79 of 152
This forum is doing some weeeeeeeird-ass reshuffling of posts right now.
post #80 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by whygohome10 View Post

did anyone else notice that an iSight camera was attached to the monitor in Job's keynote

wasnt that discontinued

It was, last time I looked.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple unveils near final version of Mac OS X Leopard