or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple posts WWDC 2007 keynote video-on-demand
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple posts WWDC 2007 keynote video-on-demand

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Apple has posted its customary video feed for the WWDC 2007 keynote address, allowing those outside the conference to see Leopard's new features for themselves.

"Watch Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveil and demo Leopard features in his World Wide Developer Conference keynote address from San Francisco's Moscone West."

See the video-on-demand (VOD) event right here, exclusively in QuickTime and MPEG-4.

post #2 of 31
Hey Paul O. got a fancy miniature toilet seat and cover! And the EA guy probably came straight from an all-nighter at the bar.
post #3 of 31
Too bad we could not stream it through the AppleTV and watch it on the flat screen.
post #4 of 31
too bad the keynote won't load and there are 500+ people complaining about timeouts on macnn...
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by g5man View Post

Too bad we could not stream it through the AppleTV and watch it on the flat screen.

I second that comment. Are there any apps that will capture a QT stream and save it to a file?

Too bad iTunes won't accept the reference link, sync it to Apple TV and stream it live.

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

I second that comment. Are there any apps that will capture a QT stream and save it to a file?

Too bad iTunes won't accept the reference link, sync it to Apple TV and stream it live.

K

I am all ears for that too!
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #7 of 31
People actually want to watch today's disaster!? Wow, love is blind, I suppose.

post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

People actually want to watch today's disaster!? Wow, love is blind, I suppose.


I just want to hear SJ say he wants to make the UI consistent. Tell me they are not reading the AI boards.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

I second that comment. Are there any apps that will capture a QT stream and save it to a file?

Too bad iTunes won't accept the reference link, sync it to Apple TV and stream it live.

K

Lately they've been putting them on iTunes as podcasts. That's probably the way to go for AppleTV.
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I just want to hear SJ say he wants to make the UI consistent. Tell me they are not reading the AI boards.

Thousands of Apple folk lurking round here last time we checked logs

But I'm sure the UI mess was apparent to them regardless.

Best,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

I second that comment. Are there any apps that will capture a QT stream and save it to a file?

Too bad iTunes won't accept the reference link, sync it to Apple TV and stream it live.

K

Recently Apple has been offering it via the iTunes Store for free...
post #12 of 31
Every time I try to watch it, Quicktime opens, does nothing, and then my wireless internet connection COMPLETELY DROPS.

Nice.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #13 of 31
Watched about half of it 4 hours ago.

Now watching the last half. Looks like they dropped the pixel size and jacked up the compression of the video now available compared to the one I was watching when it was first posted.

Hopefully they will get the larger version back up in a day or two... Not that there is anything really worth watching twice.
post #14 of 31
this stuped thing is still choppy for me
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

this stuped thing is still choppy for me

That's your internet bud. It's fine for me.
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

That's your internet bud. It's fine for me.

WTF I am getting audio only!
I know Apple tend to drop the quality to cope with demand - but audio only?
post #17 of 31
it doesn't work for me... i've been trying since last night...

does anyone have an iTunes podcast link yet?
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

WTF I am getting audio only!
I know Apple tend to drop the quality to cope with demand - but audio only?

Check your quicktime preferences... W/ a settting for low speed connnection, QT will automatically go to lower quality, or even audio-only.
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Recently Apple has been offering it via the iTunes Store for free...

No kidding. I hope they hurry up and post it.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

Reply
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

Reply
post #20 of 31
Dude, what the hell was on the covered banners??? Have they been uncovered? As far as I can tell there was nothing in the keynote that was covered banner-worthy. Pictures of the new desktop??
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

People actually want to watch today's disaster!? Wow, love is blind, I suppose.


Disaster? Macworld New York 2001 was tedium - complete with a tutorial on the Mhz Myth - and broadcast live on ZD-TV (I don't think it was TechTV then) because everyone was expecting a flat panel iMac.

This is frickin' nirvana.
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Check your quicktime preferences... W/ a settting for low speed connnection, QT will automatically go to lower quality, or even audio-only.

It turns out that only one of my Macs was behaving this way.
I had been experimenting with the Perian Betas and had somehow broken H264 playback for streamed quicktime.

C.
post #23 of 31
Saw the whole thing yesterday evening. Streaming was fine, no stutters or pauses.

I thought Steve came across as atypically a little flat.... still good, but he didn't seem as dynamic or self-assured as he did at MWSF. I don't think it was because Leopard didn't have the goods either... it was funny but he didn't seem to do that great job of pointing out why Leopard was good.

For example, from folks who are using the WWDC Beta of Leopard, apparently the thing is damn FAST. No more beachball. Browse network shares like lightning. Better multithreading. Finder is all-Cocoa, finally. No mention of any of that from Steve that I can recall.

Even when he was demoing things like Quick Look or Coverflow in the Finder, he wasn't saying the obvious but necessary-to-say things like, "Hey you can check out all your apps without launching them- isn't it great to have an OS that doesn't slow you down? Can work as fast as you can? Saves you time?" etc. etc.

He said the first part (preview and even scroll thru your docs w/out launching) but didn't hit the benefits/implications of that. Maybe its because he was speaking to developers and didn't want to insult their intelligence (to THEM, the bennies are obvious), but he had to have known that there'd be a much broader and larger audience checking it out too, through webcasts and coverage. All eyes are on Apple these days.

Also... no mention of resolution independence, even though apparently it's in there, according to folks that have the WWDC Beta? Zero mention of iLife updates?

There were some good parts. I thought Phil Schiller was extremely humorous and effective showing some of the fun things you can do with Leopard iChat (though Steve did talk over him a bit). And Steve drew a wonderful contrast with Windows with his "multiple versions of Leopard will be available... but all will be priced at $129 and contain everything... we think most people are going to pick the Ultimate version..." joke.

But overall, Steve seemed a little flat and off, like he was going through the motions a bit. He also massively overused the word "cool". He's gotta be careful, or its going to become to him what the word "hot" is to Paris Hilton.

Don't get me wrong, though... Steve a little bit off is still light-years better than Gates or Ballmer on their best public-speaking day. I just think that the case for Leopard was stronger than Steve presented, ironically. Didn't think I'd ever say that.

He might be well-served by taking one more crack at it when Leopard launches in October.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Saw the whole thing yesterday evening. Streaming was fine, no stutters or pauses.

I thought Steve came across as atypically a little flat.... still good, but he didn't seem as dynamic or self-assured as he did at MWSF. I don't think it was because Leopard didn't have the goods either... it was funny but he didn't seem to do that great job of pointing out why Leopard was good.

For example, from folks who are using the WWDC Beta of Leopard, apparently the thing is damn FAST. No more beachball. Browse network shares like lightning. Better multithreading. Finder is all-Cocoa, finally. No mention of any of that from Steve that I can recall.

Even when he was demoing things like Quick Look or Coverflow in the Finder, he wasn't saying the obvious but necessary-to-say things like, "Hey you can check out all your apps without launching them- isn't it great to have an OS that doesn't slow you down? Can work as fast as you can? Saves you time?" etc. etc.

He said the first part (preview and even scroll thru your docs w/out launching) but didn't hit the benefits/implications of that. Maybe its because he was speaking to developers and didn't want to insult their intelligence (to THEM, the bennies are obvious), but he had to have known that there'd be a much broader and larger audience checking it out too, through webcasts and coverage. All eyes are on Apple these days.

There were good parts. I thought Phil Schiller was extremely humorous and effective showing some of the fun things you can do with Leopard iChat. And Steve drew a wonderful contrast with his "multiple versions of Leopard will be available... but all will be priced at $129 and contain everything... we think most people are going to pick the Ultimate version" joke.

But overall, Steve seemed a little flat and off, like he was going through the motions a bit. He also massively overused the word "cool". He's gotta be careful, or its going to become to him what the word "hot" is to Paris Hilton.

Don't get me wrong, though... Steve a little bit off is still light-years better than Gates or Ballmer on their best public-speaking day. I just think that the case for Leopard was stronger than Steve presented, ironically. Didn't think I'd ever say that.

He might be well-served by taking one more crack at it when Leopard launches in October.

.

Yeah, there's definitely something.....odd going on.

The sort of lackluster feature set demoed, Job's low-key pitch, features that seem to be vanishing without comment, and of course the delay....

Hope it doesn't point to any serious problems with the roll-out.

Hopefully, we can start to get some feedback from beta users (in the vaguest possible terms, of course) regarding how things seem to be stacking up.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hopefully, we can start to get some feedback from beta users (in the vaguest possible terms, of course) regarding how things seem to be stacking up.

We already are. Unfortunately, you have to check out the forums at MacRumors to hear about it right now. Haven't seen anyone on AI posting about the WWDC Beta of Leopard, yet.

From what I'm hearing over there, the unsung feature of Leopard is SPEED. No more beachball. Again, very surprised Jobs did not mention that.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

We already are. Unfortunately, you have to check out the forums at MacRumors to hear about it right now. Haven't seen anyone on AI posting about the WWDC Beta of Leopard, yet.

From what I'm hearing over there, the unsung feature of Leopard is SPEED. No more beachball. Again, very surprised Jobs did not mention that.

.

Very glad to here about teh snappy, but I'm curious to know the fate of things like remote desktop in iChat, res independence, and fast user switching in Boot Camp. Or, for that matter, if any other announced "features" seem to be MIA.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #27 of 31
Unfortunately, you'd have to go over to the MR forums and ask over there. Though apparently res-independence IS in there, according to someone that has the WWDC Beta.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #28 of 31
Come on, AI: developers, developers, developers, developers!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

Disaster? Macworld New York 2001 was tedium - complete with a tutorial on the Mhz Myth - and broadcast live on ZD-TV (I don't think it was TechTV then) because everyone was expecting a flat panel iMac.

This is frickin' nirvana.

Classic Apple Apologist. I agree though, and reject any Apple Apologist labels I or others may place on myself.
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Classic Apple Apologist. I agree though, and reject any Apple Apologist labels I or others may place on myself.

I prefer the label Apple Relativist.
post #31 of 31
I watched it and enjoyed it.

Reading text summaries of the announcements doesn't really capture the feel of the Keynote.

It certainly wasn't a disaster. It was interesting in many ways. The WWDC betas are feature complete but that doesn't mean that Jobs spoke about every feature.

I like the Dock and Finder changes. I like Safari on windows..it promotes Webkit and creates a roadmap of future web technology.

Quick look is stunning. If it's as fluid as the demo portrays it's going to be like Expose. You will not want to be on a computer without it. Although Preview opens up quickly I'd prefer not to have to open up an application when I need to view a PDF or photo in a decent size. Ql fixes that quickly and easily.

Mail/iCal/Sync/- Jobs didn't even go over these in detail. The ability to pull dates and contact info from email is essential to me. Proper sync services is essential and efficient use of my calendar (iCal links with Calendar Store which is write accessable from 3rd party apps). Another "small" but HUGE update for my needs.

I "will" use Time Machine..I don't like losing documents.

I know there's more to Leopard than the keynote. Reading between the lines a bit you can see some stuff that is still hidden and ready to bubble up to the surface in the future.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple posts WWDC 2007 keynote video-on-demand