or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPhone in Europe; YouTube on iPhone; ZFS 'not happening'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone in Europe; YouTube on iPhone; ZFS 'not happening' - Page 2

post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I think my biggest complaint about ZFS right now is there won't be any repair utilities on os x right away. With HFS+ I haven't had too many issues since it came out, maybe 4-5. A few days ago I did a random fsck on my drive and it was hosed, fsck wouldn't fix it. I knew Disk Utility and fsck are cousins but I tried booting off the cd and trying it anyways... same thing, wouldn't repair the catalog. So I tried Disk Warrior, didn't work. Finally I tried Drive Genius, worked PERFECTLY. Took 7 repair attempts but it got it. Long story short, it will take time before these utilities are tried and true for repair attempts. And yes I back up my stuff nightly, but it's installing all the apps / unix stuff that takes forever and I want to avoid.

That's one reason why I don't rush out and buy a new OS right away. I wait until, at least, DiskWarrior is updated. Not that it is perfect either, but I don't find that Disk Utility is competent enough. I've had too many instances when it can't repair the disk, and even says to use a third party utility!
post #42 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techslacker View Post

I'd guess that since it's been obvious that Apple has been at work on zfs that it's still coming. Journaled HFS didn't just show up, woo crowds, and become the default OS. It came in over time. The same will likely occur with zfs.

I haven't found the journaling to be all that useful either. I've had the same number of problems over time, and the same type of problems. I've also lost the same types of files to the same problems. I thought I knew what the advantages of journaling were, but I haven't seen any in real world usage.

Good thing I back everything up.
post #43 of 77
First of all, for the person that said Java is dead: that's nonsense. For Steve it's dead on the desktop in that Apple doesn't support it anymore for the development of Cocoa apps. Apple's support for Java has never been the greatest. For the best support look at Solaris, Linux, Windows. Probably in that order. Java is alive and well, otherwise, and it's sad that Apple has taken the stance that it has because the Mac (with OSX) could have been a great platform for developing Java apps (not Cocoa/Java but NetBeans, etc.).

Remember, if Steve's gadgets don't do what you want them to do, he'll just tell you that you don't need to do that anyway or that that thing you want to do is crap. He can only sell what he has and convince you that you didn't want to do the other thing anyway.

You know, like "who needs a stylus for a PDA????" Well, unless you have pencil points for the tips of your fingers, you're gonna want a stylus at some point, otherwise you can only select items that are roughly the size of pennies.

For the person who wrote that they're going to consider an 8525 over the iPhone: don't do it. I waited until January to find out what the iPhone would be. When it became clear it wouldn't have an SDK I was sold on looking for another platform. A Treo would have been nice but that meant choosing between the ancient PalmOS and Windows...and with Windows (on Treo) you have that pathetic screen res. So I settled for the 8525. This thing is a piece of junk. It crashes (hangs) often. The sliding keyboard will drive you nuts because quite often the phone will hang when you turn it on because the phone seems to get confused on how it should orientate the screen. Plus, the keys are all pretty flat so that it makes it tough to type without hitting more than one key at a time. And if you think you are going to get BlackBerry reliability with this thing....forget about it. So sadly, there are no great PDA options out there at the moment. And the iPhone certainly will not fix things.

As for the iPhone SDK, I think the problem Apple is still dealing with is the iPod functionality and the DRM issues. You see, Apple enforces a DRM between iTunes and the iPod device. The two are locked together. Which is why you need iTunes on Windows if you are going to sell iPod's to Windows users. The security issues Steve is mostly likely grappling with are the ones related to a rogue developer creating an iPhone app that will transfer "DRM'd" music from the iPhone to some other device. So, you now have the situation where people want an SDK but Apple can't provide it. Hence the recent push for eliminating the DRM issue all together. If DRM goes away, then you will see an SDK for the iPhone within days.

The retarded thing is that Steve proclaimed they found a solution for third party apps in AJAX via Safari on the iPhone. Like, as if no one had already concluded that would be an avenue of functionality to explore. It is NOTHING NEW. We always assumed we'd be able to do that Duh. Only Steve can sell something obvious as brand new...

Then there's the whole "no new hardware announcements" issue. It's a pretty pathetic day when Apple has to resort to promoting an OS that won't arrive until the Fall on it's HOME PAGE. Basically, they're telling us they've got nothing new. Go away and come back in 6 months. Ummm, okay. So where the hell are the new developer machines (aka "Pro" machines)???? I'm talking about the towers here. Not another freakin notebook or gussied up iMac.

Isn't it ironic that we all became convinced that when Apple switched to Intel we'd finally be seeing way more frequent product rollouts as Apple moved to keep pace with the latest technologies? Well, that hasn't happened. Seems that Apple has in fact slowed down. Because Apple has never (NEVER) been able to focus on many things at once. They introduce stuff with a huge hoorah and then certain things fall on the backburner (Sherlock, iCal, .mac, Aperture, mini...).

I think Apple is on a downward cycle right now. It's either because they've completely lost focus, are moving focus to gizmos, or are just spread way way way too thin. Either way it's not a good thing. A competitor like Sun could sweep in (if they had their act together....yeah, right) with a compelling open source based platform and start gobbling up the Apple Pro market. I certainly wouldn't be deploying an Apple Xserve any time soon based on Apple's past server foray (remember A/UX anyone???). In the enterprise it is hard to trust Apple. Businesses need to plan with obsolescence in mind. With Apple, you don't know when they are going to come out with new hardware and you don't have a clue of what it might or might not have. Look at all of the PC notebooks coming out NOW with the SantaRosa platform. There is NO EXCUSE for Apple to not have all of their notebooks on the new platform yesterday. So much for leading.

Someone got made fun of the other day for suggesting they'd switch to Vista. It's a frightening thought. But for anyone that's a Web developer or Internet application developer there are compelling reasons to do so. Like I said before, stuff like the NetBeans IDE only just became officially available for OSX. There are way more people using Windows browsers than Mac browsers. With Safari on Windows, there's one less reason to get a Mac: you'll be able to test all of the major browsers from Windows.
post #44 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

You can load Skype on WM5 and make VoIP calls over WiFi. Cingular has not blocked this. You still have to pay for your plan. It would only help those who usually go over their minutes a lot, and have constant access to WiFi.

thats suprising, makes sense why apple won't sell the phones using prepay in europe.
post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post

First of all, for the person that said Java is dead: that's nonsense. For Steve it's dead on the desktop in that Apple doesn't support it anymore for the development of Cocoa apps. Apple's support for Java has never been the greatest. For the best support look at Solaris, Linux, Windows. Probably in that order. Java is alive and well, otherwise, and it's sad that Apple has taken the stance that it has because the Mac (with OSX) could have been a great platform for developing Java apps (not Cocoa/Java but NetBeans, etc.).

Remember, if Steve's gadgets don't do what you want them to do, he'll just tell you that you don't need to do that anyway or that that thing you want to do is crap. He can only sell what he has and convince you that you didn't want to do the other thing anyway.

You know, like "who needs a stylus for a PDA????" Well, unless you have pencil points for the tips of your fingers, you're gonna want a stylus at some point, otherwise you can only select items that are roughly the size of pennies.

For the person who wrote that they're going to consider an 8525 over the iPhone: don't do it. I waited until January to find out what the iPhone would be. When it became clear it wouldn't have an SDK I was sold on looking for another platform. A Treo would have been nice but that meant choosing between the ancient PalmOS and Windows...and with Windows (on Treo) you have that pathetic screen res. So I settled for the 8525. This thing is a piece of junk. It crashes (hangs) often. The sliding keyboard will drive you nuts because quite often the phone will hang when you turn it on because the phone seems to get confused on how it should orientate the screen. Plus, the keys are all pretty flat so that it makes it tough to type without hitting more than one key at a time. And if you think you are going to get BlackBerry reliability with this thing....forget about it. So sadly, there are no great PDA options out there at the moment. And the iPhone certainly will not fix things.

As for the iPhone SDK, I think the problem Apple is still dealing with is the iPod functionality and the DRM issues. You see, Apple enforces a DRM between iTunes and the iPod device. The two are locked together. Which is why you need iTunes on Windows if you are going to sell iPod's to Windows users. The security issues Steve is mostly likely grappling with are the ones related to a rogue developer creating an iPhone app that will transfer "DRM'd" music from the iPhone to some other device. So, you now have the situation where people want an SDK but Apple can't provide it. Hence the recent push for eliminating the DRM issue all together. If DRM goes away, then you will see an SDK for the iPhone within days.

The retarded thing is that Steve proclaimed they found a solution for third party apps in AJAX via Safari on the iPhone. Like, as if no one had already concluded that would be an avenue of functionality to explore. It is NOTHING NEW. We always assumed we'd be able to do that Duh. Only Steve can sell something obvious as brand new...

Then there's the whole "no new hardware announcements" issue. It's a pretty pathetic day when Apple has to resort to promoting an OS that won't arrive until the Fall on it's HOME PAGE. Basically, they're telling us they've got nothing new. Go away and come back in 6 months. Ummm, okay. So where the hell are the new developer machines (aka "Pro" machines)???? I'm talking about the towers here. Not another freakin notebook or gussied up iMac.

Isn't it ironic that we all became convinced that when Apple switched to Intel we'd finally be seeing way more frequent product rollouts as Apple moved to keep pace with the latest technologies? Well, that hasn't happened. Seems that Apple has in fact slowed down. Because Apple has never (NEVER) been able to focus on many things at once. They introduce stuff with a huge hoorah and then certain things fall on the backburner (Sherlock, iCal, .mac, Aperture, mini...).

I think Apple is on a downward cycle right now. It's either because they've completely lost focus, are moving focus to gizmos, or are just spread way way way too thin. Either way it's not a good thing. A competitor like Sun could sweep in (if they had their act together....yeah, right) with a compelling open source based platform and start gobbling up the Apple Pro market. I certainly wouldn't be deploying an Apple Xserve any time soon based on Apple's past server foray (remember A/UX anyone???). In the enterprise it is hard to trust Apple. Businesses need to plan with obsolescence in mind. With Apple, you don't know when they are going to come out with new hardware and you don't have a clue of what it might or might not have. Look at all of the PC notebooks coming out NOW with the SantaRosa platform. There is NO EXCUSE for Apple to not have all of their notebooks on the new platform yesterday. So much for leading.

Someone got made fun of the other day for suggesting they'd switch to Vista. It's a frightening thought. But for anyone that's a Web developer or Internet application developer there are compelling reasons to do so. Like I said before, stuff like the NetBeans IDE only just became officially available for OSX. There are way more people using Windows browsers than Mac browsers. With Safari on Windows, there's one less reason to get a Mac: you'll be able to test all of the major browsers from Windows.

I pretty much agree with what you've said except for the Palm OS. I don't really care how ancient it may be. It works well, and does what I need it to do. I can get what I need for it, and those are the things that matter.

If I were coming from a non-smartphone, unlike my Treo, I would switch from it to the iPhone quickly, even with moving to a different network. My wife wants one now, though my daughter doesn't (too big).

I agree about the focus. I had an interesting discussion here, about Apple's lack of focus (he didn't agree).
post #46 of 77
Here's the download for Skype for PPC.
http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2005...ppc_12_be.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiology View Post

thats suprising, makes sense why apple won't sell the phones using prepay in europe.
post #47 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoc View Post

This is extremely disheartening and unfortunately we're going to have to pull our plans for Leopard for our plans for the storage needs. We had hoped to use Leopard Server in place of Solaris so that we'd have a unified server and storage arrangement, but this is sadly going to be shelved as I'm sure many will also be shelving this aspiration. <sigh>

Oh I see. You planned to use Leopard because of the rumour and speculation of the inclusion of ZFS. Now you plan not to use Leopard because of the rumour and speculation of the exclusion of ZFS?
post #48 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post

First of all, for the person that said Java is dead: that's nonsense. For Steve it's dead on the desktop in that Apple doesn't support it anymore for the development of Cocoa apps. Apple's support for Java has never been the greatest. For the best support look at Solaris, Linux, Windows. Probably in that order. Java is alive and well, otherwise, and it's sad that Apple has taken the stance that it has because the Mac (with OSX) could have been a great platform for developing Java apps (not Cocoa/Java but NetBeans, etc.).

Remember, if Steve's gadgets don't do what you want them to do, he'll just tell you that you don't need to do that anyway or that that thing you want to do is crap. He can only sell what he has and convince you that you didn't want to do the other thing anyway.

You know, like "who needs a stylus for a PDA????" Well, unless you have pencil points for the tips of your fingers, you're gonna want a stylus at some point, otherwise you can only select items that are roughly the size of pennies.

For the person who wrote that they're going to consider an 8525 over the iPhone: don't do it. I waited until January to find out what the iPhone would be. When it became clear it wouldn't have an SDK I was sold on looking for another platform. A Treo would have been nice but that meant choosing between the ancient PalmOS and Windows...and with Windows (on Treo) you have that pathetic screen res. So I settled for the 8525. This thing is a piece of junk. It crashes (hangs) often. The sliding keyboard will drive you nuts because quite often the phone will hang when you turn it on because the phone seems to get confused on how it should orientate the screen. Plus, the keys are all pretty flat so that it makes it tough to type without hitting more than one key at a time. And if you think you are going to get BlackBerry reliability with this thing....forget about it. So sadly, there are no great PDA options out there at the moment. And the iPhone certainly will not fix things.

As for the iPhone SDK, I think the problem Apple is still dealing with is the iPod functionality and the DRM issues. You see, Apple enforces a DRM between iTunes and the iPod device. The two are locked together. Which is why you need iTunes on Windows if you are going to sell iPod's to Windows users. The security issues Steve is mostly likely grappling with are the ones related to a rogue developer creating an iPhone app that will transfer "DRM'd" music from the iPhone to some other device. So, you now have the situation where people want an SDK but Apple can't provide it. Hence the recent push for eliminating the DRM issue all together. If DRM goes away, then you will see an SDK for the iPhone within days.

The retarded thing is that Steve proclaimed they found a solution for third party apps in AJAX via Safari on the iPhone. Like, as if no one had already concluded that would be an avenue of functionality to explore. It is NOTHING NEW. We always assumed we'd be able to do that Duh. Only Steve can sell something obvious as brand new...

Then there's the whole "no new hardware announcements" issue. It's a pretty pathetic day when Apple has to resort to promoting an OS that won't arrive until the Fall on it's HOME PAGE. Basically, they're telling us they've got nothing new. Go away and come back in 6 months. Ummm, okay. So where the hell are the new developer machines (aka "Pro" machines)???? I'm talking about the towers here. Not another freakin notebook or gussied up iMac.

Isn't it ironic that we all became convinced that when Apple switched to Intel we'd finally be seeing way more frequent product rollouts as Apple moved to keep pace with the latest technologies? Well, that hasn't happened. Seems that Apple has in fact slowed down. Because Apple has never (NEVER) been able to focus on many things at once. They introduce stuff with a huge hoorah and then certain things fall on the backburner (Sherlock, iCal, .mac, Aperture, mini...).

I think Apple is on a downward cycle right now. It's either because they've completely lost focus, are moving focus to gizmos, or are just spread way way way too thin. Either way it's not a good thing. A competitor like Sun could sweep in (if they had their act together....yeah, right) with a compelling open source based platform and start gobbling up the Apple Pro market. I certainly wouldn't be deploying an Apple Xserve any time soon based on Apple's past server foray (remember A/UX anyone???). In the enterprise it is hard to trust Apple. Businesses need to plan with obsolescence in mind. With Apple, you don't know when they are going to come out with new hardware and you don't have a clue of what it might or might not have. Look at all of the PC notebooks coming out NOW with the SantaRosa platform. There is NO EXCUSE for Apple to not have all of their notebooks on the new platform yesterday. So much for leading.

Someone got made fun of the other day for suggesting they'd switch to Vista. It's a frightening thought. But for anyone that's a Web developer or Internet application developer there are compelling reasons to do so. Like I said before, stuff like the NetBeans IDE only just became officially available for OSX. There are way more people using Windows browsers than Mac browsers. With Safari on Windows, there's one less reason to get a Mac: you'll be able to test all of the major browsers from Windows.

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. It is complete and utter rubbish and one wonders why you bothered.
post #49 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Oh I see. You planned to use Leopard because of the rumour and speculation of the inclusion of ZFS. Now you plan not to use Leopard because of the rumour and speculation of the exclusion of ZFS?

That's how I make my decisions!
post #50 of 77
The story has been updated, apparantly ZFS will be available but won't be the default OS.
post #51 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomicsoul View Post

So while there may not be ZFS in OS X Leopard for desktops and laptops, it's probably a good thing. Disk capacities just don't warrant it, IMHO. However, it would make sense for OS X Leopard for Servers.

- Roland

I respectfully disagree that ZFS would not be useful in Leopard desktops.. I think it would actually address what is likely to become a significant problem in the not-too-distant future.

Apple is selling content - lots of content. iTunes+ 256 files, full length movies, music videos, podcasts (the Gates/Jobs D5 video podcast is almost a GB), etc. Even with a monster HD, it is going to start filling up as more people buy the content. Yes, you can buy an external HD and keep the big stuff on it, but that is a pain - the average consumer would have to manually manage their various iTunes formats (e.g. music goes in the ~Home/Music folder, movies go on the external and get manually added, etc). This growing content library is going to take its toll.

With ZFS, it COULD (if Apple does it right) mean that you just plug in a new HD and your drive space is increased. No muss, no fuss, no visible multiple partitions, just one huge drive that can continue to grow. Yes, this is a bit simplistic but I really think that a year down the road, a decent percentage of people are going to start running out of space, especially if/when Apple starts their content rental model.
post #52 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

The story has been updated, apparantly ZFS will be available but won't be the default OS.

That's fine. Removal of zfs entirely would have sucked big time. ZFS solves a lot of real world issues with large disks and no backups. Time Machine isn't going to help back up a 2TB media array unless you have another 2 TB media array sitting around somewhere.

While I currently back up my personal pictures to S3 (my backup and offsite backup solution rolled into one) its actually not a lot of space or cost. Backing up a large iTunes collection is a different ballgame.

raid-z is a nice compromise of safety and ease of use. Yes, I could lose everything in a fire or other home disaster but at that point I have other things to worry about. Loss of a HDD in a larger array or mobile device is simply a matter of when and not if.

Vinea
post #53 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

How can Safari on the iPhone be a full version if it has no support for Java or Flash

Safari doesn't support Java or Flash. Safari supports plug-ins and for Mac OS X there are Java and Flahs plug-ins.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #54 of 77
Gizmodo:
A correction has been posted to the original story that ZFS will be available as an option, but won't be the default file system.

That's what I figured would happen. Apple typically does this with new filesystems. Journaling for HFS+ is still off by default when you format a drive.
post #55 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

I disagree with pretty much everything [felixcat] said. It is complete and utter rubbish and one wonders why you bothered.

And you may even be right, but saying "I disagree and your opinion is garbage" isn't really a rebuttal. It's just a flame. \

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #56 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post

Then there's the whole "no new hardware announcements" issue. It's a pretty pathetic day when Apple has to resort to promoting an OS that won't arrive until the Fall on it's HOME PAGE. Basically, they're telling us they've got nothing new. Go away and come back in 6 months. Ummm, okay. So where the hell are the new developer machines (aka "Pro" machines)???? I'm talking about the towers here. Not another freakin notebook or gussied up iMac.

Didn't Apple release a new Mac Pro in April? Should they have held off until June? Haven't you noticed that Apple has not announced an upgraded Mac at an event since WWDC 2006; just press releases? The days of announcing updates of existing Mac hardware at events have passed. Plus, Apple isn't going to announce/release any innovative hardware, because it would interfere with the iPhone rollout as a major new business area. You need to look to Sep/Oct for the next round of significant changes; just before Apple's largest sales quarter of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post

I think Apple is on a downward cycle right now. It's either because they've completely lost focus, are moving focus to gizmos, or are just spread way way way too thin. Either way it's not a good thing.

PCs are not a growth market. It's a replacement market with tiny growth rates, where much of the replacement market is already locked-in via corporate software. Real growth is in gizmos. But the incredible thing about Apple's strategy of going full-bore into gizmos, is that they are linking it to Macs through retail stores, OS X, iTunes, and now Safari. Definitely not a lack of focus but a fully intertwined set of actions to grow everything at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post

A competitor like Sun could sweep in (if they had their act together....yeah, right) with a compelling open source based platform and start gobbling up the Apple Pro market. I certainly wouldn't be deploying an Apple Xserve any time soon based on Apple's past server foray (remember A/UX anyone???). In the enterprise it is hard to trust Apple. Businesses need to plan with obsolescence in mind. With Apple, you don't know when they are going to come out with new hardware and you don't have a clue of what it might or might not have.

You do realize that Apple just moved into the top 10 in server sales, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post

Look at all of the PC notebooks coming out NOW with the SantaRosa platform. There is NO EXCUSE for Apple to not have all of their notebooks on the new platform yesterday. So much for leading.

Prove to me that there is a PC vendor out there that has ALL of their notebooks on the SantaRosa platform. Apple is not going to lead by losing money on every sale. That's Dell's job.

Unlike Microsoft, Apple knows it can't do everything. And so many things are sacrificed by having no priority (it just will not happen at all because Apple doesn't care) or low priority (it will happen when it happens but Apple isn't doing anything special to make it happen).

Apple has a strategy that leads to a small set of profitable products being sold in its own stores and a retail channel. And when you don't understand its strategy, then you'll keep looking for "leadership" or "products" in areas that Apple will not provide.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #57 of 77
I'm more than curious as to why Java is not installable on the iPhone. If I want to use some space to install it, I don't see an issue with it. Java is developed around the idea of being able to run any program on any machine (although slower since it is interpreted). Java may run horrible on the iPhone because of its speed (or lack thereof). However, I think the issue isn't that "no one uses it anymore" but rather the restricted 3rd party development of applications for the iPhone.

I believe most all the points above I made for Java apply for the reason why Flash is not supported.

I would imagine we will see "support" (the allowed installation) of Flash an Java at some point in the future. It wasn't that long ago when we were told no outside development of applications for the iPhone would be allowed. Although restricted to Web 2.0, it is a start.

Apple is just being careful. This will be the largest launch for a new product that they have ever had and they don't want some idiot destroying them by some "awesome new 1337 app! 'rm * -r' LAWL!"
post #58 of 77
So why did I get Java updated via software update not too long ago. It was for safari.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Safari doesn't support Java or Flash. Safari supports plug-ins and for Mac OS X there are Java and Flahs plug-ins.
post #59 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

So why did I get Java updated via software update not too long ago. It was for safari.

Java is a preinstalled plugin. Safari doesn't run Java it just allows the Java environment to be run within the browser. I believe Sun and Apple used to be pretty buddy buddy at one point which is why it could explain why it is found in Apple system updates (I may be complete wrong though).
post #60 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avor View Post

Java is a preinstalled plugin. Safari doesn't run Java it just allows the Java environment to be run within the browser. I believe Sun and Apple used to be pretty buddy buddy at one point which is why it could explain why it is found in Apple system updates (I may be complete wrong though).

Apple is making the Mac OS X port of Java.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

So why did I get Java updated via software update not too long ago. It was for safari.

And for other browsers.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #62 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. It is complete and utter rubbish and one wonders why you bothered.

I don't think it's rubbish.
post #63 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post


You do realize that Apple just moved into the top 10 in server sales, don't you?

That's one thing that Apple can't really brag about.

1 - HP: 634,093 units (30.03%)
2 - Dell: 445,850 units (21.12%)
3 - IBM: 295,175 units (13.98%)
4 - Fujitsu: 81,068 units (3.84%)
5 - Sun: 79,063 units (3.74%)
8 - Acer: 14,900 units (0.71%) *
9 - Hitachi: 9,000 units (0.43%) *
10 - Apple: 8,700 units (0.41%) *
Other: 543,416 units (25.74%)
Total: 2,111,265 units (100.00%)
post #64 of 77
I'm astonished that so many people were not only expecting some kind of ZFS support, but also expecting it to be the default filesystem for the O/S. Are you people mad? You certainly know jack shit about putting together a stable operating system.

Only a complete lunatic would trust their system disk to a filesystem that's totally new (on OS X) untried and untested. No company in their right mind would take a step like this.

And what about the current installed base? How did you propose the 10's of millions of OS X owners who will upgrade to Leopard would switch to using ZFS? The answer is that you can't; not without a complete system backup to external media, followed by a full restore after zapping the disk and creating a blank ZFS filesystem on it first. Who on earth is going to do that except your bravest hard core hackers.

ZFS isn't dead. It will appear in its own good time and when it does it'll be included as a data only (non-boot) technical preview. It WILL have bugs, and by their very nature some will nasty ones; because every new Unix filesystem I've seen released in the 20 years I've been in this business has had teething problems.

If Apple decide not to ship ZFS on Leopard right now, it's because it's way way too buggy. They know there are idiots out there who'll suck up the hype, ignore the warnings; dive into it head first; then wail like a spanked child when their precious data slides into the bit bucket.

Just have patience. It'll all come good in its own time.
post #65 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Speaking to the Italian press on Monday, Apple's Europe boss stated that iPhone will be available only alongside a cellular contract when it arrives overseas later this year. Meanwhile, it looks like there's sorry news on the 'Flash on iPhone' and 'ZFS on Mac OS X' fronts.

Apple Europe frontman Pascal Cagni won't say precisely when and with which provider Apple plans to launch its iPhone in Europe, but when it does arrive it won't be offered with pre-paid plans that are popular in parts of the region.

Cagni told the Italian-language seeteB.IT that the Apple handset is slated for availability "at the end" of 2007 and will only be sold with a service contract.

Translation of relevant parts (thanks, Chris):

Q1) could you be more specific about the previous announcement that
the iPhone will be available in Europe in the 'fourth quarter'?

A: "We still don't know, the [release] period will be toward the end
of the year"

Q2) Have you chosen a carrier for Europe?

A: About the carrier, we still don't have any news to provide you. I
can say that for Italy, those of you very accustomed to pre-paid,
there will be issues with the iPhone.

Q3) then a more pointed question is asked: "...does this mean Apple
will pursue the same subscription only strategy in Europe & Italy (as
it is doing the US)?"

A: Yes, I can confirm that it has been decided that it will only be
offered by subscription"

iPhone to support YouTube

Meanwhile, there's sure to be some dashed hopes if iPhone arrives later this month without support for Adobe's Flash media format. Right now, Flash is looking more like a "maybe" than a guarantee.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs told the New York Times that "you might see" Flash support come to iPhone, but YouTube support would be present regardless.

"Yeah, YouTube -- of course," he said. "But you dont need to have Flash to show YouTube. All you need to do is deal with YouTube. And plus, we could get em to up their video resolution at the same time, by using h.264 instead of the old codec."

Jobs also confirmed that iPhone won't support Java. "[It's] not worth building in," he said. "Nobody uses Java anymore. Its this big heavyweight ball and chain."

ZFS mystery

More certain appears to be the state of ZFS on Mac OS X, or lack thereof. Brian Croll, Apple's senior director of product marketing for the Mac OS X, told InformationWeek that "ZFS is not happening," when asked whether the Sun-developed Zettabyte File System would appear in Leopard.

Instead, Leopard will reportedly use Apple's current hierarchical file system, called HFS+.

Strangely, just five days prior Sun chief executive Jonathan Schwartz boasted during a company event that Apple would announce at its developers conference a plan to make ZFS the default file system for Leopard.

Update: An Apple spokesperson contacted InformationWeek on Tuesday seeking to clarify Croll's statement. "Croll was apparently supposed to indicate that ZFS would be available as a limited option, but not as the default file system."

The publication is reportedly drafting a separate story to note Apple's mis-statement and "hopefully to reveal more about how ZFS would work in Leopard."

You know, I"m tired of guessing at Apple. I'm tired of promoting Apple. I'm tired of getting into
debates with friends over which kind of computer is better. screw it, I don't care. If it's a good product, then I'll read up on it. but so long Apple Insider.\
post #66 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by neondiet View Post

I'm astonished that so many people were not only expecting some kind of ZFS support, but also expecting it to be the default filesystem for the O/S. Are you people mad? You certainly know jack shit about putting together a stable operating system.

Only a complete lunatic would trust their system disk to a filesystem that's totally new (on OS X) untried and untested. No company in their right mind would take a step like this.

And what about the current installed base? How did you propose the 10's of millions of OS X owners who will upgrade to Leopard would switch to using ZFS? The answer is that you can't; not without a complete system backup to external media, followed by a full restore after zapping the disk and creating a blank ZFS filesystem on it first. Who on earth is going to do that except your bravest hard core hackers.

ZFS isn't dead. It will appear in its own good time and when it does it'll be included as a data only (non-boot) technical preview. It WILL have bugs, and by their very nature some will nasty ones; because every new Unix filesystem I've seen released in the 20 years I've been in this business has had teething problems.

If Apple decide not to ship ZFS on Leopard right now, it's because it's way way too buggy. They know there are idiots out there who'll suck up the hype, ignore the warnings; dive into it head first; then wail like a spanked child when their precious data slides into the bit bucket.

Just have patience. It'll all come good in its own time.

You know "jack shit" about how most of us feel about this. Few here actually expected ZFS to be a default. We expected, from what some of us have seen of the development of it at Apple, that it might be there as a possible choice for some purposes, as is the Unix file system.

Sure, a few were all excited about the Schwartz statement. But few DO know much about software development. That's not a crime, as you seem to think it is.

Do you have the skills to develop a new filesystem? If not, be nice.
post #67 of 77
Finally. Someone who knows what they're talking about. ya can always count on melgross to put the newbies in their place
post #68 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

PCs are not a growth market. It's a replacement market with tiny growth rates, where much of the replacement market is already locked-in via corporate software. Real growth is in gizmos.

Real growth is in new gizmos, when sales start from about zero. The iPod achieved three-digit growth rates from calendar Q2 2003 to Q4 2005. But portable music players are not so new anymore, especially the iPod which is the market leader and has now sold over 100 million units worldwide.

Last September the Mac was pretty close: 30 percent year-over-year growth in Macs and 35 percent in iPods. Last quarter for the first time ever the Mac growth was higher than the iPod growth: 36 percent YOY growth in Macs and 24 percent in iPods.
post #69 of 77
It's nice to know that ZFS is going to be there as an option. I certainly didn't expect it to be the default. I think most of the interesting features are in drive arrays, and most Macs don't have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwill246 View Post

And the alternative you have in mind is---?

The issue has been settled, but I think ZFS RAID-Z beats having to buy RAID hardware. All good RAID hardware costs more than that of OS X. Software RAID-5 is possible, but OS X hasn't supported that idea.
post #70 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AISI View Post

Real growth is in new gizmos, when sales start from about zero. The iPod achieved three-digit growth rates from calendar Q2 2003 to Q4 2005. But portable music players are not so new anymore, especially the iPod which is the market leader and has now sold over 100 million units worldwide.

Last September the Mac was pretty close: 30 percent year-over-year growth in Macs and 35 percent in iPods. Last quarter for the first time ever the Mac growth was higher than the iPod growth: 36 percent YOY growth in Macs and 24 percent in iPods.

True, but the overall market for PCs is now expected to grow at less than 10% a year because it is saturated, with desktops close to zero, and laptops making all the gains. Apple's surge in PC sales is largely fueled by consumers "switching" or buying an additional computer; of which many are considering Apple because of the iPod itself.

Whereas the music player market is far from saturated and could be expected to grow at over 30% for the next year at least. And the phone market is one where people are used to replacing phones in less than two years, so the potential sales is huge. Apple's iPhone is actually aimed at changing that aspect of the market.

I'm not saying that Apple can't keep up 30% PC growth but it continue to be driven by more than just OS X. It will rely heavily on iPod and iPhone crossovers.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #71 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Regardless of who said it, there's no way ZFS got axed because of this statement. It probably just wasn't a good use of time for the Leopard developers, considering that boot was going to be a major undertaking. The last thing Apple needs is another Leopard delay.

True. When Sun makes ZFS bootable by default and updates their own FAQs regarding this issue then I'd expect Apple to move forward. When there is a HFS+ to ZFS migration option then it will become more prominent.
post #72 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avor View Post

Java is developed around the idea of being able to run any program on any machine (although slower since it is interpreted). Java may run horrible on the iPhone because of its speed (or lack thereof).

Yeah, because interpreting JavaScript and other web content is soooo much faster.
Quote:
However, I think the issue isn't that "no one uses it anymore" but rather the restricted 3rd party development of applications for the iPhone.

You hit the nail on the head there. It's all about preventing 3rd party apps.
post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okliome View Post

Well emig647, the point of ZFS is that you will never again need any disk utilities.

Third, ZFS has a "send" function for backup that trumps anything else you've seen:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819...7ht6qsc?a=view

Take a look around! It is a wonderful world in which to live if you've got ZFS in place.

You are correct - and there's a whole lot more to it. Maybe Steve's just holding back and didn't realize that the entire shareholder group wanted to hear about ZFS integration.... Looks like they voted after the keynote by calling their brokers >> $4 down!! Am I missing something?
post #74 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robre View Post

Looks like they voted after the keynote by calling their brokers >> $4 down!! Am I missing something?

Yeah, value on your investment.
post #75 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

True, but the overall market for PCs is now expected to grow at less than 10% a year because it is saturated [] Whereas the music player market is far from saturated and could be expected to grow at over 30% for the next year at least.

The market for Macs is not much more saturated than the market for iPods, IMO. For years the Mac trailed the overall PC growth, there is a whole lot of catching up to do. Nowadays the Mac is consistently growing at 25-30 percent YOY, 3x the market growth, except during the last major hardware transition but it only lasted for three quarters (Q4 05: 20%, Q1 06: 4%, ouch! Q2 06: 12%). On the other hand, the iPod is the leader in its market, the period of insane growth is over and the replacement market is increasingly important. According to Credit Suisse the iPod lifecycle is 1.5 year, this is the sign of a maturing market.

I hope they won't go full-bore into gizmos, that's not necessarily where the real growth is and people are eager for new Macs, like I said the Mac is growing faster than the iPod at the moment. Ironically, that's why Apple can focus on gizmos. The Mac can take care of itself, up to a point.
post #76 of 77
I WANT ZFS!!! Cool new technology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MacPro 3.0 8800GT 12GB 1.8TB/MacBook/PowrBook/Mini
Reply
MacPro 3.0 8800GT 12GB 1.8TB/MacBook/PowrBook/Mini
Reply
post #77 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robre View Post

You are correct - and there's a whole lot more to it. Maybe Steve's just holding back and didn't realize that the entire shareholder group wanted to hear about ZFS integration.... Looks like they voted after the keynote by calling their brokers >> $4 down!! Am I missing something?

The shares always bid up before a keynote, and thus people make money on them from the nearly inevitable fallwhich accounts for most of the drop.

If there is a keynote reason for the drop I think it's a combination of two things: no SDK for the iPhone, and Leopard not leveraging Core Animation to make a really stunning user interface (as most people were expecting more then iTunes the Finder, fake 3D Dock, and translucent menu barstacks are nice though).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPhone in Europe; YouTube on iPhone; ZFS 'not happening'