or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Where are iLife and iWork?!

Where are iLife and iWork?!

post #1 of 33
Weve seen no updates to these suites for over a year now, and yet Apple still uses them as a strong selling point for the Mac. Where are the updates?!
post #2 of 33
Where are they, indeed.

AppleWorks is still on sale having not been updated in many years. Granted, however, it is a complete package that actually WORKS. iWork desperately needs a spreadsheet and a database and some improvement to Pages in order to call itself a For-Work suite. I will likely upgrade Adobe CS later this year as well as Filemaker Pro... ugh, the money I don't have...

iLife 06 is actually a very good little package as it is; my only wish is that they had more templates to build from in many of the apps. If they have to choose, I hope they aim at iWork first.

Leopard was delayed because they put resources towards the iPhone (so they say). Perhaps lots of things got delayed for the iPhone. Once the iPhone goes on sale in about two weeks, I think we will see some movement on other fronts.

Something is slightly odd at Apple this year, and I can't put my finger on it. They seem to be working on something big that they are not sharing. Also, the branching out into new markets is beginning to hurt their computer division, I feel. Unless they know more about the future than we do...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Leopard was delayed because they put resources towards the iPhone (so they say). Perhaps lots of things got delayed for the iPhone. Once the iPhone goes on sale in about two weeks, I think we will see some movement on other fronts.

Something is slightly odd at Apple this year, and I can't put my finger on it. They seem to be working on something big that they are not sharing. Also, the branching out into new markets is beginning to hurt their computer division, I feel. Unless they know more about the future than we do...

Well I hope we get something. That damned iPhone seems to have stopped everything else at Apple. There must be some mega-top-secret project going on in there things seem too quiet, if you know what I mean.
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Well I hope we get something. That damned iPhone seems to have stopped everything else at Apple. There must be some mega-top-secret project going on in there… things seem too quiet, if you know what I mean.

I don't see what you do mean. All I see is a black hole named iPhone, sucking resources as if there is no tomorrow.
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

I don't see what you do mean. All I see is a black hole named iPhone, sucking resources as if there is no tomorrow.

Agreed.

And I would love to have iWork completed too. I would love to give MS the middle digit, believe me, but I can't. Not without a good spreadsheet, at least.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Agreed.

And I would love to have iWork completed too. I would love to give MS the middle digit, believe me, but I can't. Not without a good spreadsheet, at least.
post #7 of 33
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #8 of 33
Null.
post #9 of 33
Good to see you are making the most of your summer holiday, Slewis!

Wish I had more time..

post #10 of 33
Null.
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Where are iLife and iWork?!

October my dear man, October.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #12 of 33
October is too far off! Back to Vista, you knaves!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 33
I'm doubtful that we'll see iLife and iWork in Leopard with the $129 pricing already announced. I hope we get them thrown into Leopard for free, that would make every Mac user want to buy Leopard, and it would be great to get all of us on the one version. I hope Steve and Co. uses their brains when they do this thing.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm doubtful that we'll see iLife and iWork in Leopard with the $129 pricing already announced. I hope we get them thrown into Leopard for free, that would make every Mac user want to buy Leopard, and it would be great to get all of us on the one version. I hope Steve and Co. uses their brains when they do this thing.

It seems like a pipe dream, but I want it to be true soo bad. They've been decreasing the price of their hardware incrementally; is there any possibility that they'd do this for the software as well? I'm pretty sure that everyone would happily pay $129 for an all-inclusive package.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

It seems like a pipe dream, but I want it to be true soo bad. They've been decreasing the price of their hardware incrementally; is there any possibility that they'd do this for the software as well? I'm pretty sure that everyone would happily pay $129 for an all-inclusive package.

Let's play the waiting game.
post #16 of 33
Null.
post #17 of 33
Quote:

I'm doubtful that we'll see iLife and iWork in Leopard with the $129 pricing already announced.

Exactly. This alone rules out this possibility. Next OS X release? Who knows, perhaps. But not now.

Quote:

I hope we get them thrown into Leopard for free, that would make every Mac user want to buy Leopard...

Not going to happen. Why then buy a new Mac?
post #18 of 33
Quote:

Leopard, no. New Mac, yes. I can see the new iWork suite getting shown at the Apple Expo in Paris then shipping after Leopard is released, but I do not see iLife getting released until MacWorld2008. This will give Apple that much more time to polish the iPhone, .mac, iWeb trilogy.
post #19 of 33
Now this.
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanw23 View Post

Now this.

Does that mean we'll have to wear those ridiculous glasses when using those apps?
post #21 of 33
maybe Apple will make a 3D spreadsheet, so we can enter volumetric data. egads...

seriously, tho. seems likely 3D charting, keynote effects, etc...
apple gets "it."
apple gets "it."
post #22 of 33
Personally, I'm hoping Apple didn't get bored with them like they did clarisworks.
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Personally, I'm hoping Apple didn't get bored with them like they did clarisworks.

Bored with them? The mere fact that thought has even entered your head suggests you may not be aware how important these applications are to Apple, Apple's working on them, that's a given. iLife and iWork are as important as OS X itself IMO.
post #24 of 33
Quote:

iLife and iWork are as important as OS X itself IMO.

I agree; they are necessary to influence folks to make the switch. Together, with the OS they make a "complete package" as Steve put it.
post #25 of 33
Null.
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

We know officially know that Leopard won't be there because the Leopard betas are feature complete, neither is in there, neither is mentioned on Apple's site, and those would be extra and very notable features.

Sebastian

That's assuming they are built-in. They could bundle it easily.
post #27 of 33
iLife will most likely be bundled with the OS, since Vista has raised the bar in this regard.

However, bundling iWork would instantly trigger the loss of MS Office from the platform. Apple is most likely holding back iWork as part of a deal with Redmond to allow Office to launch first.

Like it or not, Office is currently essential to keeping Macs in certain business environments. Obviously the day will come when Apple will go for Microsoft's jugular, but that day has not yet come.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

iLife will most likely be bundled with the OS, since Vista has raised the bar in this regard.

However, bundling iWork would instantly trigger the loss of MS Office from the platform. Apple is most likely holding back iWork as part of a deal with Redmond to allow Office to launch first.

Like it or not, Office is currently essential to keeping Macs in certain business environments. Obviously the day will come when Apple will go for Microsoft's jugular, but that day has not yet come.

Personally, I've never bought iWork. I use microsoft office, as I can get a full copy of it for five dollars at my college because of an agreement with microsoft. iLife, however, I have bought. And really, it's such an integral part of the mac experience, I've always thought that it should just be included with the operating system. Like Frank777 said, a lot of people use office; I'd be willing to say that the vast majority of mac users use office. But bundling iLife with Leopard would be a WONDERFUL idea, and I would definitely buy it for $129.
post #29 of 33
iWork appears to be Leopard only. That doesn't necessarily bother me. I'm reading that Apple is wooing developer to move to Leopard only apps more than in recent years.

iWork and iLife may just be Leopard only and certainly this will rankle many users. Perhaps Apple softens the blow a bit by bundle the two together for a knockout price($99 for both??)

I plan to get heavy use out of both iWork and iLife in the next incarnations. I don't have enough memory to run the current iDVD and iMovie apps well. I'll be upgrading my storage and RAM and preparing for iLife.

I know that making them Leopard only will keep'em trim and allow Apple to focus on the new core technology advances in Leopard.

Frankly I'm tired of waiting for stragglers and I hope that developers who are keen on delivering solid Leopard apps begin to curry favor with people that want to enjoy modern computing and are willing to risk a few bumps and bruises.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #30 of 33
Null.
post #31 of 33
iLost, iVacation, or iWeStillDoSoftware?

One of those three places.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

iLife is already practically "built in" with things like the Media Browser (which should be extended to iWork) so what's the difference?

What are you talking about? What's a media browser got to do with iLife? You can make a media browser with Automator in Tiger, I know I have.
I hope you are aware iLife isn't a media browser, here.
post #33 of 33
Null.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Where are iLife and iWork?!