or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's iMac overhaul tracking for mid-to-late summer

Apple's iMac overhaul tracking for mid-to-late summer - Page 2

post #41 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Oh, and please get rid of this awkward linear Front Row user interface! We want Front Flow i/o Front Row!! Hmm, something like this would do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyd8O-2mkgk

I like the current BackRow interface for AppleTV. It works.

Where I can see this CoreAnimation demo coming to fruition is with AppleTV IP streaming of TV from the internet. You can have hundreds of channels that can be searched for instantly by topic or title with the ease shown in the demo. I think it's a long way of, but the possibility is there. If Apple does decide to go this route I think we'll first see it in the form of iTunes movie trailers viewed from AppleTV.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #42 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What about this "coolio" rumour?

I could have sworn there was a rumor that there was going to be a line of Macs made in the name of some big rap or R&B figure, and these Macs would be used by urban & at risk youth. I don't remember the name, I had assumed it was Coolio when the name was mentioned.
post #43 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

So true. Steve Jobs really hates the look of wires/cables/etc. That's probably a key reason why the AirPort Extreme (n-version) lacks a gigabit Ethernet router. It's his way of telling us all to unplug.

That argument might work if the unit didn't have a wired switch in it at all.
post #44 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I could have sworn there was a rumor that there was going to be a line of Macs made in the name of some big rap or R&B figure, and these Macs would be used by urban & at risk youth. I don't remember the name, I had assumed it was Coolio when the name was mentioned.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/19/a...lop-budget-pc/

note: it's exactly one year old.
post #45 of 172
yeah, why would apple start making cameras? idiot.

they should get MORE involved in the video game market instead -
imagine halo3 with a one-button mouse.

the new imac is going to be a disappointment to everyone who posts here.
all i ever read is omfg they didn't add this or omfg i can't believe they added that 3 month old tech when something newer is out.
wahh wahh wahh 2.5" drive. it's a CONSUMER mac: for aunt flo to surf the web once a month and organize all the pictures her kids email her.

you want pro, get a ... what's that computer called? ohh yeah, MAC PRO.
post #46 of 172
Some on at mac rumors was bitching about how the imac wont have an 8800 ultra in it, he was serious. Do people know how big this thing is, right now i cant see it fitting in a imac. he also wanted the imac to be thinner, LOL!
post #47 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

it's a CONSUMER mac: for aunt flo to surf the web once a month and organize all the pictures her kids email her.

While this is true, the iMac is still fast enough for most semi-professionals

In terms of hardware it's still up there with some of the best (C2D, 2GB, etc)
post #48 of 172
Quote:

LOL, they already did. Apple made alot of neat products that failed durring the 90s. The quicktake didnt really fail, they just stopped making it. Just in case you didnt know, they made a video game system as well called the PIPPIN, i really want one but less than 5000 units were ever sold so they are hard to come by.

post #49 of 172
Quote:

I know you're being sardonic but I'd like to point out to those whose Apple history is contained within this century that Apple has indeed made cameras

Apple QuickTake 100, 150 & 200 with 640x480 resolution. Circa 1994—1997. Conected via RS-232 cable.
Quicktime Video Conferencing Camera 100 with ISDN connectivity for $1800. Circa 1995—1997. I set up a lot of ISDN Video Conferencing appliances back in the day and $1800 was not a bad price; it's the per minute ISDN charges that would get you.
• And of course the internal and external iSIght Camera.
post #50 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Idiot. Nice attempt, trying to be funny. Too bad your last line gave away that you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

You're the idiot.
post #51 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Some on at mac rumors was bitching about how the imac wont have an 8800 ultra in it, he was serious. Do people know how big this thing is, right now i cant see it fitting in a imac. he also wanted the imac to be thinner, LOL!

Most people who bitch about something not having the latest hardware don't have a clue what they are talking about. They read about or was told it somewhere think it should implemented right away. I think these are usually the same people that constantly wait for new hardware to arrive. "When the iMac finally gets Dual Xeons, a Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive, hardware Flux Capacitor instead of the software Time Machine and is under $800 I'll by one. But not until then"
post #52 of 172
Quote:

all i ever read is omfg they didn't add this or omfg i can't believe they added that 3 month old tech when something newer is out.
wahh wahh wahh 2.5" drive. it's a CONSUMER mac: for aunt flo to surf the web once a month and organize all the pictures her kids email her.

You're the idiot.
post #53 of 172
Quote:

I know you're being sardonic but I'd like to point out to those whose Apple history is contained within this century that Apple has indeed made cameras

Apple QuickTake 100, 150 & 200 with 640x480 resolution. Circa 1994—1997. Conected via RS-232 cable.
Quicktime Video Conferencing Camera 100 with ISDN connectivity for $1800. Circa 1995—1997. I set up a lot of ISDN Video Conferencing appliances back in the day and $1800 was not a bad price; it's the per minute ISDN charges that would get you.
• And of course the internal and external iSIght Camera.

Does anyone still have one because i do!!. The pictures are so low quality but its really fun to play around with. I have to use it with my ancient mac too.
post #54 of 172
Quote:

Does anyone still have one because i do!!. The pictures are so low quality but its really fun to play around with. I have to use it with my ancient mac too.

I have never had one, but I did just get a Canon Powershot TX-1 today. I bought this for my trip because of its pocketable size and it's apparent abilty to do both decent HD video and high-res still shots well. So far, teh video is good but the still photos are grainy as hell. I'm not much of a photographer so I'm guessing I'm probably doing something wrong.

Anyone else have this camera?
post #55 of 172
Quote:

Most people who bitch about something not having the latest hardware don't have a clue what they are talking about. They read about or was told it somewhere think it should implemented right away. I think these are usually the same people that constantly wait for new hardware to arrive. "When the iMac finally gets Dual Xeons, a Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive, hardware Flux Capacitor instead of the software Time Machine and is under $800 I'll by one. But not until then"

I agree.

Those people will never know the pleasure of masturbating to the iPhone.
post #56 of 172
Not to get off the subject....but that comment about the PIPPIN game intrigued me....I never knew that.
There is one on ebay right now going for almost $300.00.....(a Japanese/USA version).....just in case anyone is interested.

Frank D.
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....
post #57 of 172
My ideal iMac is quiet, nearly silent, and has a powerful graphics card for Boot Camp games.
post #58 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Everyone seems to assume new iMacs will have a pedestal base just like the current iMacs. It could have a pedestal base that contains components, like hard drives.

I vote 'yes' to this. I'd like to see the iMac as a wireless large multi-touch pad that would dock into an HD+SuperDrive base, and on top of all that, wireless power system! No more power cord!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #59 of 172
A 3.5" 500GB SATA HDD is only 1" thick so I have no idea why so many people are whining about a thinner iMac having to resort to 2.5" notebook drives. A 24" iMac could well have two 3.5" HDDs and still be somewhat thinner at the edges. The logic board for Santa Rosa could be smaller, cooler, thinner than the one for the first Intel iMac introduced in January, 2006, the same board now in use.

We don't even know if the next iMacs will bear any resemblance to what we have now.
post #60 of 172
Quote:

The iMac GPU is just a chip, integrated in the motherboard, not a full-fledged graphic card. Nvidia could release a mobile version of the 8800 this summer but I don't think we'll see this in the next iMac. Nvidia current mobile offering: GeForce 8700M / 8600M / 8400M.

Quote:

Everyone seems to assume new iMacs will have a pedestal base just like the current iMacs. It could have a pedestal base that contains components, like hard drives.

Great idea! Here is my mock-up for the next iMac.

post #61 of 172
Is there a reliability question for 2.5" vs 3.5" hard drives?

What about heat and noise?

I can't see an argument to go to 2.5"
post #62 of 172
Quote:

The problem is there's not much choice between the crappy non-upgradeable mini, the non-upgradeable iMac, and the out-of-reach of most upgradeable Mac Pro. Why in the h*ll do you think people are so weary about buying a new Mac that they will hold out for months hoping their old one will hang on long enough for the upgraded model to be released? Because they don't want to get screwed buying something that is instantly obsolete because they know they're not going to be able to upgrade. Doesn't seem unreasonable that people would want the same capabilities you can get from a $400 PC on a $1200 Mac, even if it is a CONSUMER Mac.

And just so we can continue the 12-year-old antics: You're a moron.
post #63 of 172
Quote:

Do you really think that the lowest common denominator user of a product category's intended market defines the entire category?

Do you really think that there aren't a lot of consumers with lots of data to store? Maybe you should ask a computer retailer which size drives most people buy. If consumers didn't buy many of the larger physical sized hard drives, then the consumer retailers wouldn't waste half an aisle with them.

Do you really think that people want to spend $1000 more just for the favor of storing a decent amount of data?
post #64 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

I agree. Those people will never know the pleasure...

Why are you so obsessed with this? I've read your other posts, and sadly there is not one polite word in any of them. All mean hearted. What is your problem?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #65 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Because they don't want to get screwed buying something that is instantly obsolete because they know they're not going to be able to upgrade.

Computers aren't made obsolete when a newer model comes out. Obsolescence takes time and occurs at different times and at different rates for various parts of a computer. Examples are the 5.25" floppy drive, Parallel cables, etc.

Now, the process of obsolescing is what you may be referring to. For example, You could say the Power Mac G5 is 'obsolescing' because the hardware specs are being overshadowed my new component several years newer in design and because software support for PPC apps are starting to fade.

But to say that your Napa platform MacBook Pro is now "obsolete" because Apple released a new Santa Rosa platform MacBook Pro is just asinine.

Is my 7.1MP camera obsolete because they just released a new 8.1MP version?
Is my one year old car now obsolete because they just released a newer version with 20 extra Hp?
post #66 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by AISI View Post

Great idea! Here is my mock-up for the next iMac.

Very funny! Now imagine a much smaller rectangular base with maybe just a power supply and a serial ATA HDD.

post #67 of 172
Quote:

I hope they redesign the Apple Remote (no irony involved here)! Something offering you a nano-esque user experience with click wheel!

I've always wondered why the damn remote hasn't had a click wheel. Seems like a step backwards to me.

Any why doesn't it fit in the express card slot?
post #68 of 172
Quote:

Very funny! Now imagine a much smaller rectangular base with maybe just a power supply and a serial ATA HDD.

Yeah. In my head I was thinking of the latest new Apple hardware designs--the AppleTV, the the Airport, and even the ill fated Mini. They all have the same rectangular shape.

So what you indicate had already occurred to me.

However, I cannot come up with an image of a rectangular base with a screen sticking out that doesn't strike me as incredibly awkward. I dunno, maybe I just don't have the visual creativity, but it just doesn't feel right to me...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #69 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

You're the idiot.

I'm rubber, you're glue, nah na nah na nah nah...
post #70 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

I've always wondered why the damn remote hasn't had a click wheel. Seems like a step backwards to me.

Any why doesn't it fit in the express card slot?

What would you do if you had an express card in the express card slot?

My buddy has an Acer laptop with exactly this problem...
post #71 of 172
Quote:

haha Did it really take you so long before noticing his irony Oh and by the by, does anyone have a clue what they're talking about?
[/url]

Was he being sardonic? Seems to me he's got jokes about Apple. That's not right, yo!

Quote:

Quote:

Apple QuickTake 100, 150 & 200 with 640x480 resolution. Circa 19941997. Conected via RS-232 cable.
Quicktime Video Conferencing Camera 100 with ISDN connectivity for $1800. Circa 19951997. I set up a lot of ISDN Video Conferencing appliances back in the day and $1800 was not a bad price; it's the per minute ISDN charges that would get you.
And of course the internal and external iSIght Camera.

Yeah, I was thinking about the iSight Camera when he tried to make a joke about apple making cameras. I thought that anyone who paid attention to recent Apple news would know about the iSight. Didn't know about the QuickTake though... Were there many digital cameras back then? Sounds like one of those ill-fated attempts by Apple to create a new market before the technology had developed enough to really make it work.
post #72 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Were there many digital cameras back then? Sounds like one of those ill-fated attempts by Apple to create a new market before the technology had developed enough to really make it work.

nail + head

PS: Am I going crazy or did the Apple Insider forum revert to an older version of vBulletin in the last 30 minutes?
post #73 of 172
Quote:

nail + head

PS: Am I going crazy or did the Apple Insider forum revert to an older version of vBulletin in the last 30 minutes?

Well they're gone back to the old buttons, these forums were very unreliable these past few days.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #74 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well their gone back to the old buttons, these forums were very unreliable these past few days.

It's the old buttons images i noticed but I figured that they reverted to an older vBulletin in order to correct the issues at hand as I can't imagine changing a few GIFs will fix AI's forum problems.
post #75 of 172
Obsolete? Any computer that doesn't have a graphics card capable of running currently popular games is obsolete before it even ships. Games are consumer products. Consumers should not have to buy a Pro workstation just to be able to play them.
post #76 of 172
"Those same people add that the Cupertino-based Mac maker may also have a few smaller surprises in store for fans of its Mac line around the same time."

Maybe I'm reading into this too much but this looks very interesting because is it that the surprise is small or is it something small that will cause surprise? It's not a new ipod as it's in the Mac line so it can only be a small notebook (possibly tablet) or a cube to replace the Mini and 17" iMac. It says surprises so I'm guessing it has to be both. If so, that would make up for absolutely all the crap we've had this entire year.
post #77 of 172
Quote:

It's the old buttons images i noticed but I figured that they reverted to an older vBulletin in order to correct the issues at hand as I can't imagine changing a few GIFs will fix AI's forum problems.

I can't either, but a quick spin over to V will show you they seem to be on the current version.
post #78 of 172
[QUOTE=mr O;1098601]haha Did it really take you so long before noticing his irony Oh and by the by, does anyone have a clue what they're talking about?

Well I would say that somebody didn't know that the very first consumer digital camera ever to be sold was made by Apple The Apple Quicktake.
post #79 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Obsolete? Any computer that doesn't have a graphics card capable of running currently popular games is obsolete before it even ships. Games are consumer products. Consumers should not have to buy a Pro workstation just to be able to play them.

How many frames per second do you want this game to be? 135 fps? I've seen some games run on a MacBook Pro or iMac and do pretty well, just not cutting-edge.

This is a problem I see now that Macs are starting to be adopted by more people... former Windows users are comparing their Mac experience with their Windows gaming experience and are so used to building their own machines or dreaming of building their own machines and complain ALL the time and us pre-Intel Mac users have to hear it all over every forum.
post #80 of 172
Well may be they should at least bundle Gefore 8700M in every new iMac then to push up the gfx abality on Mac platform.

Intel Intergated GFx sucks and it is about time apple do something about it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's iMac overhaul tracking for mid-to-late summer