or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update

post #1 of 69
Mine is currently installing, appears to be a fairly small update 49MB.
post #2 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Mine is currently installing, appears to be a fairly small update 49MB.

I'm getting it too. 10.4.10 for PowerPC - 22.1mb.

That's quite small for one of these updates isn't it?
post #3 of 69
Apple on Wednesday afternoon released Mac OS X 10.4.10, a free maintenance update recommended for all PowerPC and Intel-based Mac computers running versions of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Mac OS X 10.4.10 Client

The update (72MB download for Intel Macs and 25MB download for PowerPC Macs) includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific enhancements to RAW camera support and third-party application support.

More specifically, Apple lists the following improvements, which apply to both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs unless otherwise noted:

BluetoothAddresses an issue in which a Bluetooth headset may show up as an available device for sound output in the Sound preference pane after it had been removed from Bluetooth preferences.Third-party
Adds RAW image decoding support for the following cameras: Panasonic DMC-LX1, Panasonic DMC-LX2, Leica M8, Leica D-LUX 2, Leica D-LUX 3, Fuji S5 Pro, Nikon D40x, and Canon EOS 1D Mk III.Resolves an issue in which some DNG images may appear tinted or distorted.Improves compatibility of Mathematica 6 with 64-bit Macs.
USBImproves reliability when using the IR remote control after waking from sleep.Improves reliability when mounting external USB hard drives.Resolves an issue in which a TomTom GO 910 may not be recognized when connected via USB to an Intel-based Mac.
OtherImproves responsiveness when using the Control-Eject key combination to display a shutdown dialog.Addresses a specific issue in which users importing video from a DV camera may experience dropped frames.Includes recent Apple security updates.Addresses issues with calendar calculations in certain applications.Addresses issues when rounding decimal numbers for display in certain applications.For Motion, addresses an issue in which some texture corruption could appear in Motion if VRAM is full.
Mac OS X 10.4.10 Server

Accompanying the release was a similar update to Mac OS X 10.4 Server, which delivers the same set of enhancements as its client cousin, sans those improvements relating to calendar calculations, decimal displays and Motion.

The Mac OS X Server 10.4.10 Update is available as a 58MB download for PowerPC-based Tiger servers and a 391MB download for their Intel-based equivalents.

Combo versions of both the client and server updates, which allow users to upgrade Macs running pre-Mac OS X 10.4.9 builds, are also available from Apple's support site.
post #4 of 69
Yes! Finally we don't have to sit through stupid arguments about how 10.4.9 will be the last before 10.5.0 because of the decimal point!
post #5 of 69
10.4.10 is just a more precise version of 10.4.1, right?
post #6 of 69
No improved device compatibility for iSync, it looks like.

49 MB for me as well, AI must have gotten something wrong?

Edit: Ironically enough, my apple keyboard attached usb memory stick didn't automount on startup.

/Adrian
post #7 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

10.4.10 is just a more precise version of 10.4.1, right?

It's like deja vou.... all over again.
post #8 of 69
System audio volume? Fixed!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #9 of 69
So when is 10.4.11 coming out?
post #10 of 69
I'm downloading it now 49m
I hope it solves the non mounting USB hard drive issue.
Nice of Apple to finally admit it is a problem
post #11 of 69
391MB for Server on Intel?

Shit the bed(TM)...
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #12 of 69
The update on powerpc is a lot larger from 10.4.9server to 10.4.10 Server it is 399mb

post #13 of 69
As I also wrote on macrumors:

just found something interesting...

in 10.4.10 a few new Displays has been added under
/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-610

More specifically 14 of them, where 4 are really interesting:

And these 4 are:
DisplayProductID-9c6a
DisplayProductID-9c6b
DisplayProductID-9c6c
DisplayProductID-9c71

which all are for iMacs, excerpts from the files:

9c6a:

<key>DisplayProductID</key>
<integer>40042</integer>
<key>DisplayProductName</key>
<string>iMac</string>

9c6b:

<integer>40043</integer>
<string>iMac</string>

9c6c:
<integer>40044</integer>
<string>iMac</string>

and lastly 9c71:

<integer>40049</integer>
<string>iMac</string>

These files/displaydefinitions are NOT present on a 10.4.9 system!

Could mean new iMacs on the way, or could mean apple are just changing panels in the iMacs...
Anyway, some change on the way!
post #14 of 69
That's one hell of a update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masc2279 View Post

The update on powerpc is a lot larger from 10.4.9server to 10.4.10 Server it is 399mb

post #15 of 69
is it "teh snappy™" ?
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

is it "teh snappy™" ?

i dunno, but something happened after the reboot, initial load of Firefox was 3 bounces instead of its usual 21 bounces + 30 seconds of beachball.

I hope this is going to continue on next restart!

UPDATE: meh, no, still 15+ bounces and that indeterminable beach ball. what a pos.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

So when is 10.4.11 coming out?

Probably shortly before the release of Leopard.
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogg View Post

As I also wrote on macrumors:

just found something interesting...

in 10.4.10 a few new Displays has been added under
/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-610

More specifically 14 of them, where 4 are really interesting:...

Nice find and a good start to posting at Apple Insider.

I have no idea what it means but your hypothesis seems pretty good.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #19 of 69
Anyone have any issues with it yet??
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
post #20 of 69
imac 24 incher seems a bit quicker. seems like good update. many permissions needed repairing then i rebooted again and all is good.
post #21 of 69
No graphics driver updates it seems for both the NVidia 8600 and the GMA that 10.4.9 broke.

It does seem a bit small. I hope it's a sign of things to come, Apple's 300MB+ updates are annoying.

I also hope that it addresses some performance issues - you'd think they'd be able to put some system optimizations made in Leopard into Tiger.
post #22 of 69
No Stickies or Calculator update. I'm shocked!
post #23 of 69
I applied 10.4.10 to my 20" iMac 2.16 gHz Intel with 1 GB RAM. Upon restart, I got the "double clutch" reboot sequence much like the 10.4.9 update. I repaired permissions and I noticed that the owner and permissions on /Library were wrong (!). Then I repaired my startup volume and the check failed:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 5905416 instead of 5905386)
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
\tVolume needs repair

Appears to be a minor issue. I'll see if it's repairable and report back. Haven't noticed any performance gains but I've only been using it for about an hour.

Personally, I'm sick of the quirks and inconsistent performance of the Finder in Tiger and can't wait until I get a copy of Leopard.
post #24 of 69
Well, I don't know if the OS or Safari is quicker, but whatever they did to the USB update transfers my files from my USB device to my computer about 50% faster.
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

No Stickies or Calculator update. I'm shocked!

lolaria

i like the findings of iMac displays... good work!
post #26 of 69
Why Do We Still Have 9 In This Update??? Bytheway, My Mail And Safari Are Still Dead With This "update".
(*APPLE INC.'S OS X*) (*VERSION*) (*#10.7.3+BETA#*) (*BUILD*)
(*#11D36#*) (*ROARING LION USER*)
(*APPLE INC.'S OS X*) (*VERSION*) (*#10.7.3+BETA#*) (*BUILD*)
(*#11D36#*) (*ROARING LION USER*)
post #27 of 69
]I just updated my 1.25 GHz PB G4. Before the update, I had 2x 512MB for 1024MB total RAM. After the update, the 512MB 3rd party memory was only recognized as 256MB.

Damn!
post #28 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

]I just updated my 1.25 GHz PB G4. Before the update, I had 2x 512MB for 1024MB total RAM. After the update, the 512MB 3rd party memory was only recognized as 256MB.

Damn!

The Micosoft Martians?
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Damn!

pull it out and re-seat it.
post #30 of 69
sweet mary magdalene, after 2 reboots this thing is slow as molasses and beach ball hell. -- i'm talking EVERYTHING I do is a beach ball.

WTF?

off to repair permissions.

EDIT: shite, 3 minutes and disk utility won't open up. just spins...FRACK
post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

That's what she said!

I'm so sorry...please forgive me. I honestly couldn't help it.
post #32 of 69
Quote:

I did that and it worked!

Thanks, Sandau!
post #33 of 69
My C2D 2GHz w/2GB RAM MacBook boots up in 25 seconds whereas before it took 34 seconds. Skype is the only program I have auto-start.
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

System audio volume? Fixed!

First thing I noticed. I no longer have to reset my volume after a restart. w00t.
post #35 of 69
The famous error 51 (Unable to communicate with the VPN subsystem) arises again after 10.4.10 update.
Now the following old workarounds don't work anymore:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext

or

sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN restart

Anyone ?
post #36 of 69
Quote:

sweet mary magdalene, after 2 reboots this thing is slow as molasses and beach ball hell. -- i'm talking EVERYTHING I do is a beach ball.

WTF?

off to repair permissions.

EDIT: shite, 3 minutes and disk utility won't open up. just spins...FRACK

ok, i freaked out too quickly here. I added a new parallels disk along with a recent 'the big cat' torrent and i was down to less than 1mb of space on my drive...and yes, not enough room on the primary drive is a big issue, not anything to do with 10.4.10.

whew. sorry for the wrong posting.
post #37 of 69
Onyx won't work anymore because this release isn't a 10.4.x update. Great.
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

391MB for Server on Intel?

Shit the bed(TM)...

Somehow only the combo update is available for the Universal Mac OS X Server.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by popguncork View Post

Onyx won't work anymore because this release isn't a 10.4.x update. Great.

Huh? Since when can't x be 10?
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Huh? Since when can't x be 10?

It's a tad nonsensical but it's true, go try. Too many digits for it to understand I guess?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update