or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AT&T recommending "Crowd Control Devices" for iPhone launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T recommending "Crowd Control Devices" for iPhone launch

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Wireless carrier AT&T is recommending that its retail store managers acquire stanchions ahead of next week's Apple iPhone roll-out in order to assure an orderly and successful launch.

"You and your landlord need to determine an area outside the store where customer lines should form and whether or not stanchions (standards & ropes or chains) for crowd control are needed," AT&T's corporate offices wrote in memo to store managers.

"Unless you expect a low turn out at your store, Corporate Security and Corporate Real Estate recommend that all Store Managers order stanchions to help form orderly lines as customers wait for launch time."

The memo, which was published over at the Boy Genius Report, also instructs managers to tell their landlord that the iPhone launch will begin on Friday, June 29 at 6:00PM.

"In order to prepare for the launch we plan to close our stores 1 1/2 hours prior to launch time, at 4:30 PM," the memo confirms. "If the landlord questions your plan to close the store from 4:30 - 6:00 PM, explain that all AT&T and Apple stores nationwide intend to follow this plan."

The AT&T communication applies to all AT&T retail stores except those located within enclosed malls.

"Reminder: Inform landlords in all locations that your store hours will be extended until 10:00 PM on Friday, June 29th," the memo added.

Downloads: AT&T memo on "Crowd Control Devices"; AT&T memo on "Sample Dialog."

post #2 of 26
Huh, "stanchion." I learned a new word today.
post #3 of 26
Riot police! Bomb threats! Live at 5 news helicopters! What fun!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #4 of 26
lol. the dialog is like a bad commercial from the fifties. but it gets the point across...
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Huh, "stanchion." I learned a new word today.

What? You didn't know about the stanchions? Everyone knows about stanchions!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #6 of 26
Well, I did too, I guess if you type as many posts as he has using a vocabulary without a word you forget what you don't use... Maybe he just forgot.
post #7 of 26
This is why i have a stock pile of tear gas.


Everyone will be waiting in line all calm and ill be standing there in a gas mask. Then right before the store open i will "accidentally" let off some tear gas.


Actually, im waiting for the next gen.
post #8 of 26
Employees at the two AT&T stores in my area told me they'll be closing at 4 pm and reopening at 6 pm -- and that they'll have security guards there for the launch.

We should bring camcorders, take video of what goes on that night, then post it on YouTube and watch it later on our iPhones!


Rich Koster
DisneyEcho webMOUSEter
Reply
Rich Koster
DisneyEcho webMOUSEter
Reply
post #9 of 26
It's going to be the most incredible product launch since the first Apple Stores opened. ...the anticipation is giving me stomach cramps...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyEcho View Post

Employees at the two AT&T stores in my area told me they'll be closing at 4 pm and reopening at 6 pm -- and that they'll have security guards there for the launch.

We should bring camcorders, take video of what goes on that night, then post it on YouTube and watch it later on our iPhones!

That would be totally awesome!!!1!!1
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What? You didn't know about the stanchions? Everyone knows about stanchions!

Before I saw the definition, I had actually pictured something like this:

post #12 of 26
lol at the sample dialog. They don't have much confidence in their managers' communication skills.
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash View Post

lol at the sample dialog. They don't have much confidence in their managers' communication skills.

I think they have even less confidence in their managers' landlords' communication skills.

"Unfortunately, we do not own any stanchions that you may be available to you."
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
post #14 of 26
all am really hoping to see is skype running on it, which will mean the end of the cellular age and the beginning of a new era $29 dollars for unlimited skype out for a year, and then $20 dollar a month for a unlimited data plan voip on a cell phone, already know of people doing it on smart phones
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Riot police! Bomb threats! Live at 5 news helicopters! What fun!

Actually, I bet someone does get

a) trampled by other customers
b) tasered by some dumbass cop/security guy
c) mugged/beaten/stabbed for their iPhone, or

d) all of the above (not the same guy though, lol. Now that would be unlucky).

It has all the earmarks of the Playstation 3 riots last Christmas, and that product wasn't even as hot as the iPhone. And its not like cellphone store managers know jack about crowd control. \

Someone's gonna screw up, and someone's gonna get hurt. And its gonna be all over the news.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Before I saw the definition, I had actually pictured something like this:

Ha ha ah ha I was going to post a reply about Tasers too!!!! w00t
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Actually, I bet someone does get

a) trampled by other customers
b) tasered by some dumbass cop/security guy
c) mugged/beaten/stabbed for their iPhone, or

d) all of the above (not the same guy though, lol. Now that would be unlucky).

It has all the earmarks of the Playstation 3 riots last Christmas, and that product wasn't even as hot as the iPhone. And its not like cellphone store managers know jack about crowd control. \

Someone's gonna screw up, and someone's gonna get hurt. And its gonna be all over the news.

You forgot the natural evolution of all this. By the 4th of July Apple will probably already have a dozen iPhone-related lawsuits.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Huh, "stanchion." I learned a new word today.

I like cheddar flavored stanchions.
post #19 of 26
Crowd control lol. I think they may be overestimating just how excited people might get over a cell phone.
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

This is why i have a stock pile of tear gas.


Everyone will be waiting in line all calm and ill be standing there in a gas mask. Then right before the store open i will "accidentally" let off some tear gas.


Actually, im waiting for the next gen.

Nice...I'll bring the gun with rubber bullets!

Yah, I am waiting too...please post some sweet pictures and videos though so I can drool over it!
post #21 of 26
Am I the only one who thinks that graphic is freaking hilarious?
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

I like cheddar flavored stanchions.

I find the stench of cheddar stanchions staunches my taste for luncheons.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #23 of 26
I think that the main reason for closing the stores for 90 minutes is to ensure that lines form for the launch.

It says, excluding stores in enclosed malls. Usually mall landlords have hours that stores are required to open. So does this mean that stores in malls won't close?
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

all am really hoping to see is skype running on it, which will mean the end of the cellular age and the beginning of a new era $29 dollars for unlimited skype out for a year, and then $20 dollar a month for a unlimited data plan voip on a cell phone, already know of people doing it on smart phones


Don't expect that to last forever. There are terms of usage with most data plans on cell phones. VOIP is one of the services specifically banned from use. Cell companies regularly scan for that type of data activity and if you abuse it, they will shut you off.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I find the stench of cheddar stanchions staunches my taste for luncheons.

Brilliant as also related to your username.
post #26 of 26
I checked back at my local AT&T store. They've now replaced their exterior Cingular sign with a brand-new AT&T sign.

I asked if they still planned to stop anyone from starting a line before 4 pm tomorrow, as they had told me last week.

Nope! They've decided not to try that.

Rich Koster
DisneyEcho webMOUSEter
Reply
Rich Koster
DisneyEcho webMOUSEter
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AT&T recommending "Crowd Control Devices" for iPhone launch