or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple offers 25-minute iPhone guided tour
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple offers 25-minute iPhone guided tour

post #1 of 140
Thread Starter 
Apple on Friday posted a video to its website offering prospective iPhone buyers a 25-minute guided tour of the handset. We've compiled a listed of interesting tidbits revealed in the step-by-step demonstration.

View the video

The guided tour is available via Apple's iPhone website, which continued to see additional refinements on Friday.

Notable mentions:iPhone ships with a stereo headset that features a microphone and integrated button that lets users answer and end calls easily. It can also be used to control audio and video playback.
If a call comes in while music is playing, the volume will fade out and the iPhone will pause the music. A single click on the headset button will answer the call. A second click will hang up and fade the music back in right where it left off.
iPhone can be locked by pressing the Sleep/Wake button. Once locked, iPhone will still receive calls and allow users to play music and adjust the volume. However, nothing will happen if the user accidently touches the screen.
To completely power off iPhone, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds. Then, drag the red on-screen slider to confirm.
Users can change the order of iPhone lists, such as favorite phone numbers, by drag-and-drop.
iPhone's visual voicemail feature allows users to scroll through recordings in realtime using an onscreen progress slider.
If already on a call when second call comes in, iPhone's on-screen software allows users to ignore the second call or place the first call on hold while taking the new call. A handy onscreen "swap" option then provides an easy way to alternate between the two callers. Similarly, a "merge calls" option will merge the two calls into a conference call.
When listening to a specific song in iPod mode, iPhone offers an on-screen button that will display a playable listing of all tracks from that same album.
iPhone will automatically switch to CoverFlow mode when the device is positioned in landscape view under iPod mode.
Movies play only in landscape view.
Hot buttons at the base of the iPod mode software interface can be custom configured like toolbars in the Mac OS X Finder.
Photos taken with iPhone can be used as wallpaper, emailed, or assigned to a contact in the handset's address book.
Mail includes built-in readers for viewing PDF, JPEG, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel files. It also features the same action sounds as the current version of Mail running on Mac OS X Tiger.
Tapping on a phone number included in an email will automatically call that number.
It does not appear as if "Maps" will determine your current location using AT&T's wireless network.
Maps includes a "Traffic" button that provides an update on current driving conditions. Green lines on the map indicate traffic is flowing smoothly while yellow and red lines mean problems ahead.
You can turn off iPhone's network features so it can be used safely on an airplane.
iPhone comes pre-loaded with an assortment of ringtones.
post #2 of 140
Here's one that I hadn't seen confirmed before: You can view Word docs sent via email attachments.
post #3 of 140
Oh my...I just finished watching it and think I've wet myself! LOL

Seriously watching that, how could anyone NOT get excited to have one?
post #4 of 140
Agreed!

OMG, SciFi ringtone!!! Love it.
post #5 of 140
It must have a GPS-style system too then if it can give you step by step instructions on where to go even if it's not using the GPS system but possibly some sort of solution based on mobile phone triangulation. Unless it just reads out the route similar to how someone would if you stopped and asked them at the side of the road.
post #6 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It must have a GPS-style system too then if it can give you step by step instructions on where to go even if it's not using the GPS system but possibly some sort of solution based on mobile phone triangulation. Unless it just reads out the route similar to how someone would if you stopped and asked them at the side of the road.

Doesn't it do just what Maps does on the web? You put in a starting address and an ending address. It figures it out from there. Why do you need a GPS for that?
post #7 of 140
Does the iPhone have any type of video recording capabilities? I haven't seen it mentioned.
post #8 of 140
Everything looks great except for the pre-loaded ringtones.

I didn't see anywhere in the settings allowing you to customize your ringtones. That would be disappointing...
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #9 of 140
I've neither read nor seen anything about password protection of the phone.
e.g. email privacy or code activation of the phone if in particular.
There are likely to be security issues in companies and certainly there are personal privacy and theft concerns where passwords would be important.

~Innersongs
post #10 of 140
Hmmm.....nothing on the calendar feature. Hopefully that just means it's as easy to use as iCal.
post #11 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Doesn't it do just what Maps does on the web? You put in a starting address and an ending address. It figures it out from there. Why do you need a GPS for that?

It's just that it said it gives you step by step instructions on where to go. How would it know when to tell you which turn to make unless it knew where you were? Like I say, it might just read them out at once but the demo looked a bit like a GPS device.
post #12 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's just that it said it gives you step by step instructions on where to go. How would it know when to tell you which turn to make unless it knew where you were? Like I say, it might just read them out at once but the demo looked a bit like a GPS device.

It knows where you are because you tell it where you are. That is the "starting address". Where you are going is the "ending address". Step by step instructions are possible with just that information.
post #13 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Everything looks great except for the pre-loaded ringtones.

I didn't see anywhere in the settings allowing you to customize your ringtones. That would be disappointing...

I agree. But there's a "ringtones" tab when you plug the iPhone into iTunes, so I assume that's at least how you would get new ringtones onto the phone. Whether or not you can use standard MP3s or AAC files as ringtones has yet to be determined.

Personally, I'd like to see Apple let you choose any file you like. If they want to make money on ringtones, then get popular artists to record special ringtone tracks exclusively on iTunes, or something. Don't take away what should be a basic feature just to sell ringtones.
post #14 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's just that it said it gives you step by step instructions on where to go. How would it know when to tell you which turn to make unless it knew where you were? Like I say, it might just read them out at once but the demo looked a bit like a GPS device.

The step by steps are just a list of turns. You have to advance from one to the next manually, with a tap on the arrow.
post #15 of 140
So what about the SIM card? Is it user-installable or built in? Is there a cover that goes off?
post #16 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's just that it said it gives you step by step instructions on where to go. How would it know when to tell you which turn to make unless it knew where you were? Like I say, it might just read them out at once but the demo looked a bit like a GPS device.

There's a button that takes you to the next or previous step, you have to push it manually, no GPS

That traffic feature is going to be sooo useful...
post #17 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I agree. But there's a "ringtones" tab when you plug the iPhone into iTunes, so I assume that's at least how you would get new ringtones onto the phone. Whether or not you can use standard MP3s or AAC files as ringtones has yet to be determined.

Personally, I'd like to see Apple let you choose any file you like. If they want to make money on ringtones, then get popular artists to record special ringtone tracks exclusively on iTunes, or something. Don't take away what should be a basic feature just to sell ringtones.

Definitely. If I had to pay for all the ringtones I've created my for myself in the last year I'd be out at least 50 bucks.

It's nice being to edit a particular part of a song or chorus to get that "perfect ringtone."
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #18 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post

So what about the SIM card? Is it user-installable or built in? Is there a cover that goes off?

Do you have an Apple remote? Change the battery.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #19 of 140
I agree. It's nice to be able to make any ringtone that you want and load it on your phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Definitely. If I had to pay for all the ringtones I've created my for myself in the last year I'd be out at least 50 bucks.

It's nice being to edit a particular part of a song or chorus to get that "perfect ringtone."

I didn't see any folders on the phone where one would store ringtones, but I'm sure it's there, somewhere.
post #20 of 140
Does anyone else have some reservations abou the model they chose? he's so... sterile.

That being said, I'm dying up north waiting for this phone!
post #21 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraine View Post

Does anyone else have some reservations abou the model they chose? he's so... sterile.

That being said, I'm dying up north waiting for this phone!

...yeah, where's the "beautiful hand" model from the original iPhone photos? <---(Hairy hands are what have kept me from becoming a hand model, too.)

And why does this new guy ("Bob"?) need to be married? He's nowhere near cool (or charming) enough to be symbolic of Steve.
post #22 of 140
i can already see a bunch of people getting mug for the iphone i mean i would not dare to walk around me area with it
post #23 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodenmuse View Post

...yeah, where's the "beautiful hand" model from the original iPhone photos? <---(Hairy hands are what have kept me from becoming a hand model, too.)

And why does this new guy ("Bob"?) need to be married? He's nowhere near cool (or charming) enough to be symbolic of Steve.

I thought the same thing. Between the look and the voice, I thought this was soooo unlike the image Apple was going for.

....whatever
post #24 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraine View Post

Does anyone else have some reservations abou the model they chose? he's so... sterile.

I get the feeling that if you work at Apple all the life and personality is drained from you for fear of offending Lord and Master Steve and you end up like this guy in the tour.
post #25 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

i can already see a bunch of people getting mug for the iphone i mean i would not dare to walk around me area with it

Yeah, if iPod muggings are common, expect some serious crime problems with the iPhone. This has to have some kind of password lock/encryption.
post #26 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Yeah, if iPod muggings are common, expect some serious crime problems with the iPhone. This has to have some kind of password lock/encryption.

Considering how Jobs touted OSX's security, as a reason to put it on the iPhone, I'm expecting a password lock at minimum.
post #27 of 140
Why is it that sometimes you pinch/spread fingers to zoom out/zoom in and other times you double-tap with one finger and double tap with 2 fingers? Shouldn't the action be the same for enlarge and reduce across all apps?
post #28 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisnatasha View Post

Why is it that sometimes you pinch/spread fingers to zoom out/zoom in and other times you double-tap with one finger and double tap with 2 fingers? Shouldn't the action be the same for enlarge and reduce across all apps?

ALL the differnt apps need to work differntly. Like with maps, you would want to keep zooming in so instead of single tapping like you do in photos to zoome out, you tap with two fingures. The piching thing should work for most apps as well but they didnt show it.


(sorry that my explanation was so badly worded)
post #29 of 140
A password lock is a must. I can't comprehend a phone made in 2007 not having a password lock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Considering how Jobs touted OSX's security, as a reason to put it on the iPhone, I'm expecting a password lock at minimum.
post #30 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisnatasha View Post

Why is it that sometimes you pinch/spread fingers to zoom out/zoom in and other times you double-tap with one finger and double tap with 2 fingers? Shouldn't the action be the same for enlarge and reduce across all apps?

They didn't make it clear in the video but it has been mentioned by Steve that you can use either method; so If you want to increase your Web zoom just double click OR pinch.
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
post #31 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

ALL the differnt apps need to work differntly. Like with maps, you would want to keep zooming in so instead of single tapping like you do in photos to zoome out, you tap with two fingures. The piching thing should work for most apps as well but they didnt show it.

For maps, I think the two finger tap is to zoom out because a single finger tap (on a push pin) takes you to info on that site.

For zoom in/out you use the pinch method. But I thought the single tap takes you back to the original size in case you've zoomed in 2 or 3 times. Now I have to go watch the video again......
post #32 of 140
Does the camera record video? Damn.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #33 of 140
That's what I want to know too!
post #34 of 140
I'm waiting to see what Apple has in store for additional apps that you can download for free (or purchase) through iTunes. The iPhone is a beast in terms of processor/graphics power.

It would be nice to install Pages and Keynote through iTunes. You would/could have the ability to Edit documents and insert pictures, videos, music, urls and text... come to think of it; it wouldn't be that different to the desktop version.

We will have to wait and see but we all know this is a multi-year strategy. They are not going to announce apps for sale through iTunes next week, highly unlikely anyhoo.
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
post #35 of 140
I am surprised in all these demos they never show how to use the camera.
post #36 of 140
I didn't see any games on this phone. Seeing that it's all touch screen, I can see how it would be difficult, and the fact that Apple hates Java.
post #37 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I didn't see any games on this phone. Seeing that it's all touch screen, I can see how it would be difficult, and the fact that Apple hates Java.

I would hope that at least the iPod games work. I would think the touch screen would make it easier for games. You don't have any existing buttons to limit you. Just display your own game-specific buttons/slider/controllers.
post #38 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I would hope that at least the iPod games work. I would think the touch screen would make it easier for games. You don't have any existing buttons to limit you. Just display your own game-specific buttons/slider/controllers.

How would the iPod games work on the iPhone?
post #39 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I didn't see any games on this phone. Seeing that it's all touch screen, I can see how it would be difficult, and the fact that Apple hates Java.

Games are guaranteed, I'd say they'll be $6.99 through iTunes too.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #40 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

How would the iPod games work on the iPhone?

Honestly, I don't know. I have an old iPod and I've never seen the new games in action on a newer iPod. Is there something that ties the games to that particular iPod?

I guess I'm just asking why couldn't you? I mean, the iPhone is an iPod, right? And isn't the multi-touch a more flexible interface?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple offers 25-minute iPhone guided tour