or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › How many use Safari? If not, what do you use?

How many use Safari? If not, what do you use?

post #1 of 35
I like Safari, but a lot of sites do not respond to it. So my alternate is Camino

what do you use?
post #2 of 35
Only Safari for me. If I ever do find a site that doesn't work (rare), screw it. Too much to look at without that worry.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #3 of 35
Why do you prefer safari?
post #4 of 35
Snapback. Private Browsing. Speed, to name a few.

Now I am using the Beta. Movable/tear off tabs, even speedier, the new improved find feature, etc.

I have tried many of the available and capable browsers for the mac. Seems I always ended up going back to Safari. Now I just stay with it and love it.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #5 of 35
Safari only here, too.

It works for me and I rarely find a site that doesn't work with it. (Of course this will soon change as more Windoze users start using it). I agree with kcmac: there are plenty of sites to surf to that do work on Safari so screw the rest.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #6 of 35
are you guys using the upgraded safari beta 3.0?
post #7 of 35
I use both Safari 3.0 and Firefox (in rare circumstances..). I like Safari better. Firefox feels like a Windows app.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro, Lab of ~ 25 various models
My Sites: FDHS Yearbook, AppleBytes Store, AppleBytes, iSwitched
post #8 of 35
use camino
post #9 of 35
one of my betting books does not show the grids on safari, so I reported it to apple...should I expect them to fix it?

Also it worked under the safari 2.0 version, but hen I upgraded to the beta 3.0 it does not

thx
post #10 of 35
Firefox; then Opera; then Safari. The reason I don't use Safari first is I haven't figured how to change how tabs work. If there are several tabs open and I click the red button, ALL the tabs are deleted. FireFox warns me that there are several tabs open.
Does anyone know how to do that in Safari? I haven't been able to use Safari 3 as I'm using Panther. SJ didn't see fit to extend S 3 to legacy OS X's although he did to legacy Windows. Bummer!
ADS
ADS
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Firefox; then Opera; then Safari. The reason I don't use Safari first is I haven't figured how to change how tabs work. If there are several tabs open and I click the red button, ALL the tabs are deleted. FireFox warns me that there are several tabs open.
Does anyone know how to do that in Safari? I haven't been able to use Safari 3 as I'm using Panther. SJ didn't see fit to extend S 3 to legacy OS X's although he did to legacy Windows. Bummer!

Each tab has an X on it in Safari. Click the X and only that tab goes away. Actually, Safari 3 does warn you, which, ironically, I find annoying and wish I could do away with the warning.
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroller View Post

Each tab has an X on it in Safari. Click the X and only that tab goes away. Actually, Safari 3 does warn you, which, ironically, I find annoying and wish I could do away with the warning.

I know about the x on the tabs. Unfortunately, I forget and hit the delete button which deletes ALL the tabs. To avoid that possibility, I use FireFox which does give a warning. Since I'm using OS X (10.3.9), the warning (in Safari 3) isn't in Safari 2 or I just haven't found that option.
ADS
ADS
post #13 of 35
No, it is a new addition to Safari 3.
post #14 of 35
I use Safari almost exclusively. I need to use Firefox for one of my online bank accounts at present however, as that bank hasn't ratified Safari 3.0 yet.

I prefer it as it just feels so 'Apple'. The only thing that bugs me is that I would like an option to open links which open in new windows in new tabs instead. I know I can hold down a button to do it, but it would be nice to have a Preferences option. v3.0 does make some good changes like 'Merge All Windows' and drag re-order tabs though. I'm still not sure that auto-fill is 100% in v3.0 yet though.
post #15 of 35
one of my betting books does not show the grids on safari, so I reported it to apple...should I expect them to fix it?

Also it worked under the safari 2.0 version, but hen I upgraded to the beta 3.0 it does not

thx
post #16 of 35
anyone?
post #17 of 35
I prefer Safari, but the 1.3.2 release on Panther isn't the most stable browser in the world. Sometimes pages won't show up right, sometimes they will slow my Mac to a crawl, and sometimes it just plain crashes.

Firefox 2.0 might not look as pretty, but It has some of the features I like from Safari like the spellcheck and its rock solid.
post #18 of 35
I use camino first and then safari, which is now pretty rare. Camino (1.5) is much faster than safari (2.0) in my experience and more stable. Camino has never crashed on me. Now in all fairness safari is generally stable but it has crashed on me occasionally. I also prefer the tabbed browsing in camino over safari. When version 3.0 of safari comes out, not the beta, I'll definitely give it a look.
post #19 of 35

I use three browsers -- Safari 3.0.2 beta, Firefox and Camino 1.5. Most of the time it is Firefox, which responds better for some websites I use, like Netflix.
post #20 of 35
firefox is the BEST! Many plug-ins, fast, reliable
post #21 of 35
I use Safari on my Mac. And now on the PCs at work.
post #22 of 35
Firefox. Tabs, feel, preferences, speed, spell-check, add-ons (adblock plus with element hiding helper is the best) are all good reasons. Actually whenever I am forced to use a different browser/computer I am amazed at all the ads I see because I just forget about them when they are gone. I love it. I do like some of the new tab options in Safari 3 like merge windows but I can live without it since I am so used to using Firefox that switching would be very hard (learning how to use stuff, etc.).

Edit: also I can use it on all my machines (Tiger, XP, and Ubuntu) so I can keep it unified and nice.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
post #23 of 35
can i uninstall the beta and get back to my safari 2.0?

also what is the difference between safari 3.0 beta?

thx
post #24 of 35
I use Safari and have used solely Safari for a long time because it has the best UI and doesn't lack much functionality. RSS listing from a group of RSS bookmarks works well and I have no other RSS reader.
I got into Safari only after discovering the AcidSearch addon; lack of customized searches were a deal breaker for me.
Safari does crash on me uncomfortably often. I'd like whitelisting for cookies. I might at some point be interested in gestures and other stuff, too.
post #25 of 35
I actually just switched to Safari from using Firefox. I love Firefox, I loved the plug-ins, how it managed tabs (links that open in new windows are forced into a new tab), search keywords, and that holding down the primary click acted as a secondary click, very useful because I still use my one button mouse.

But it started to get really slow and after a while I would have to restart it just so it wouldn't totally chug. While Safari is lacking a lot of features I liked in Firefox it just feels more peppy, and for now I am preferring it. Though I have switched before so it is probably just a matter of time before I am back with Firefox.
post #26 of 35
I don't use it, so i have no complains about it.
post #27 of 35
i use safari but im not all that happy with the beta, but i guess i cant complain because they call it beta for a reason. Im finding that i cant access a lot of forums and different sites come up with compatability issues that didnt exist in v2
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by halijan View Post

i use safari but im not all that happy with the beta, but i guess i cant complain because they call it beta for a reason. Im finding that i cant access a lot of forums and different sites come up with compatability issues that didnt exist in v2

my same problem, wish I could get the 2.0 back
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post

my same problem, wish I could get the 2.0 back

Have you upgraded to 3.0.2 yet? That might help. If not, try Camino 1.5 or the latest Firefox. I use Safari sometimes, but still prefer Firefox.
post #30 of 35
Safari is the my main, Firefox as my alternative. Sometimes things just dont load right in Safari so I am forced to use Firefox. Not sure why, but firefox is very slow on my machine and I prefer the speed to the rare none page conversion.
post #31 of 35
I prefer Safari and have only tried different browsers to see how they function. Opera 9 is cool but a little slow on some sites. Firefox is good but I haven't noticed any difference in speed or performance over Safari.
post #32 of 35
Snoop,

Why do you prefer FF over camino?
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Have you upgraded to 3.0.2 yet? That might help. If not, try Camino 1.5 or the latest Firefox. I use Safari sometimes, but still prefer Firefox.

yeah it is 3.0.2 beta off of apple's site
post #34 of 35
I only use Camino. I learned a long time ago not to play with Safari. Yeah, some of the features are nice, but the rendering sux, and I know all the Camino shortcuts so...Camino wins lol
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Snoop,

Why do you prefer FF over camino?

Maybe this is a silly reason, but Firefox is the only browser that properly displays a certain page on the Netflix website. When adding a movie to my queue, other browsers go to a new page showing other recommended movies. In Firefox, it is not a new page, but shows up as a semitransparent window over the existing page. I simply close the window when I'm done looking and Firefox is still on the same page it was.

As I said, it's silly, but I think it looks cool.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › How many use Safari? If not, what do you use?