or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says iPhone can be activated by users at home

Apple says iPhone can be activated by users at home

post #1 of 95
Apple and AT&T Inc. said Tuesday that iPhone users will be able to activate their new iPhones using Apple's popular iTunes software running on a PC or Mac computer in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated.

Activating iPhone takes only minutes as iTunes guides the user through simple steps to choose their service plan, authorize their credit and activate their iPhone, Apple said. Once iPhone is activated, users can then easily sync all of their phone numbers and other contact information, calendars, email accounts, web browser bookmarks, music, photos, podcasts, TV shows and movies just like they do when they sync their iPods with iTunes.

"Users will be able to activate their new iPhone in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "There are tens of millions of people in the US who already know how to sync their iPods with iTunes, and syncing their new iPhone with iTunes works the same way."

iPhone, which goes on sale at 6:00 p.m. (local time) on Friday, June 29 at AT&T and Apple retail stores, introduces an entirely new user interface based on a revolutionary multi-touch display and pioneering new software that allows users to control iPhone with just a tap, flick or pinch of their fingers.

The device combines three products into one small and lightweight handheld device -- a mobile phone, a widescreen iPod, and the Internet in your pocket with applications phone for email, web browsing and maps. It will be available in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (US), and will work with either a PC or Mac.

iPhone activation will require an Internet connection; an iTunes Store account or a major credit card; a valid Social Security number (as required by AT&T); the latest version of iTunes; and a PC or Mac with a USB 2.0 port and one of the following operating systems: Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later; Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later; or Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Enterprise or Ultimate Edition.

iPhone will require a new two-year AT&T service plan. Customers with existing AT&T accounts will have the option of keeping their existing phone number and upgrading their account to work with iPhone, Apple added.

An iPhone Activation and Sync video has been posted at Apple.com.
post #2 of 95
Okay.... but... and I know this'll be asked a million times (especially over at the howard forums Apple board) what happens if someone DOESN'T activate it and instead tries to unlock it so it'll work on another network? Will the sales people somehow 'link' the purchase to a person and then if the phone doesn't get activated they will be charged the AT&T ETF? I don't think they can since you're not going to be signing any contract (at the Apple store anyway)... but who knows.

Yea yea yea I know, it WONT be easy to unlock but lets not confuse things with the FACTS since the people over there certainly wont...

I guess this question has some merit even without unlocking since I would imagine this would allow someone to buy an iPhone for someone else without having to commit to any service contract in their own name.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #3 of 95
What about number portability for people not using ATT presently? The above article doesn't make it sound possible.

Also, what about Vista Basic users? The article above doesn't say Vista Basic users can activate from home.
post #4 of 95
If I understand this correctly, Apple is only tacking on 20 bucks for unlimited data to existing call plans? That's a pretty cheap deal right? Unlimited data on its own is more than that. Tempting to get on board....... must convince the wife
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
post #5 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

What about number portability for people not using ATT presently? The above article doesn't make it sound possible.

Also, what about Vista Basic users? The article above doesn't say Vista Basic users can activate from home.

Are they not legally required to provide this, now?
post #6 of 95
.... I mean the phone number portability, not the Vista Basic support.
post #7 of 95
Quote:

Yeah -- we're working on this. It's NOT clear from the PR. Kind of frustrating.

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #8 of 95
As I understand the iPhone it requires the service provider to have extra iPhone server end services on it for the iPhone to work properly. The big question is will it even work on another network or even the same network without an iPhone type account.

Also since you can not buy these things outright there is absolutely no need to have an iPhone service contract or iPhone pre-paid account because in theory there will be no iPhone not linked to a contract. Good luck to all those ebay people. There isn't even word at the moment if you will be able to transfer iPhone contracts between people.

As to will you be able to start using the other features of iPhone without first registering. I think it will be like what you get with Mac OS X or Windows XP/VISTA after an install or when you boot your machine for the first time. You simply can not get started with the phone until certain setup steps are taken.

Good luck finding a way around this.
post #9 of 95
I wonder if the thing will just.not.work until it's activated. I mean, since you don't have to activate it in stores, I imagine you can use it for all of it's Newton-ny goodness, without using the phone part.

I have to be strong. I am not buying an iPhone...especially on Friday...even though there are several AT&T stores nearby. I might.
post #10 of 95
I just watched the newly posted Activation video for iPhone on Apple.com. Did anyone else notice that in the sequence showing sync your data ( addresses, music, etc) the capacity size is the same as a 80 gig iPod... am I seeing things????
post #11 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I am not buying an iPhone...especially on Friday...even though there are several AT&T stores nearby. I might.

Does this man has WILLPOWER or WHAT!

I'm NOT buying it...
Well not on Friday...
Well...

Dave
post #12 of 95
Quote:

Apparently you CAN do it via iTunes -- transfer your number. Now that is pretty cool:

EIC- AppleInsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #13 of 95
Simple, but game-changing. Yet again. Makes one go, "duh, why didn't the service provider bozos think of something so obvious before?"

(Now we know why Apple recommended that users download iTunes if they want to use the iPhone. The bottom line is, this is is going to be substantially an "Apple product-use" experience [rather than an ATT experience], from the user's standpoint. The SPs are being rightfully put in their place. Finally, they are being told that they are just the providers of pipes/infrastructure through which we can finally begin to enjoy cell phones. It totally shatters the current model, which is sort of like an electric utility controlling which appliance I can use at what price for what use-type plans they approved!).
post #14 of 95
Quote:

The "activation video" shows that one of the steps is for porting your number over if you choose to. you put in the number, the account number and your zip.

nice because that can be such a pain in the ass.
post #15 of 95
So....could I buy one of these in the USA and bring it to the UK and pop a Pay-as-you-go SIM in it ? :o ?!
post #16 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I don't think they can since you're not going to be signing any contract (at the Apple store anyway)... but who knows.

You may be asked to sign on such a contract electronically on the first time you attempt to sync/activate the iPhone with iTunes. It is likely that without this activation the phone will not b e fully operational.

But, I would assume that there are folks out there that will do whatever they can in order to bypass the various roadblocks that Apple/AT&T setup
post #17 of 95
at the end of the video, did anyone catch that the iPhone being activated indicates that it has 80 GB of space? seems like a pretty good deal now!

the devil is in the details.

:: update: doh! too late ::
post #18 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple and AT&T Inc. said Tuesday that iPhone users will be able to activate their new iPhones using Apple's popular iTunes software running on a PC or Mac computer in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated.

After watching the activation video, it really confirms what Steve said right from the beginningi.e., Revolutionary
post #19 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemck View Post

I just watched the newly posted Activation video for iPhone on Apple.com. Did anyone else notice that in the sequence showing sync your data ( addresses, music, etc) the capacity size is the same as a 80 gig iPod... am I seeing things????

noticed that too. wtf...weird.
post #20 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

noticed that too. wtf...weird.

Maybe the Number One Secret Feature!! is that it's really 40gb and 80gb iPhones, rather than 4 and 8
post #21 of 95
Extracted this from the service agreement in the activation video:

"If you terminate this Agreement before expiration of your Service
Commitment, you will pay Cingular an Early Terminatin Fee of $175 for
each wireless telephone number associated with this service. To
terminate this agreement, call customer service."

It is safe to assume that the iPhone will not be usable as far as syncing content from iTunes until it is activated. Not sure whether they would disable syncing through iTunes if you terminated your agreement though.
post #22 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemck View Post

You're right. Although it says 7.27 GB at the top, the storage status bar says 74.40 GB. I'm guessing they did this demo before the final version of iTunes was completed and working properly.
post #23 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post

So....could I buy one of these in the USA and bring it to the UK and pop a Pay-as-you-go SIM in it ? :o ?!

That's the million dollar question (in many interpretations).

It would _appear_ that each iPhone is intrinsically bound to a contract (likely by a unique identifier of some sort). However, if you never activate it, then you're never bound to that contract. So the real question is, can you unlock the workings of the iPhone without activating it? And if so, can it then work with another service provider?

I'm sure AT&T and Apple have invested a lot of time and money into making sure that the answer to those questions is: no. Or at least: not very easily.

post #24 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

That's the million dollar question (in many interpretations).

It would _appear_ that each iPhone is intrinsically bound to a contract (likely by a unique identifier of some sort). However, if you never activate it, then you're never bound to that contract. So the real question is, can you unlock the workings of the iPhone without activating it? And if so, can it then work with another service provider?

I'm sure AT&T and Apple have invested a lot of time and money into making sure that the answer to those questions is: no. Or at least: not very easily.

I think someone would have to activate an iPhone to capture and disassemble the data stream to/from the iPhone in order to figure out what set of instructions activates the phone. Then build some kind of program to send that stream of data to a new iPhone in order to activate it.
post #25 of 95
Quote:

I think someone would have to activate an iPhone to capture and disassemble the data stream to/from the iPhone in order to figure out what set of instructions activates the phone. Then build some kind of program to send that stream of data to a new iPhone in order to activate it.

Yes, I'm sure some reverse engineers will be working overtime next weekend. Perhaps that guy at the front of the line in Manhattan is one of them?

post #26 of 95
What if I don't want the phone? Since it works with Wi-Fi, if I don't care about the phone portion (I dislike talking on the phone immensely) and just want an iPod with cool video/photo and web capability, am I allowed to buy one and not activate it as a phone but use all other aspects?

Sounds dumb to some, I'm sure, but I live in NYC and there is Wi-Fi all around me. I'd love to have the convenience of a tiny full-web experience to carry around with me when I am out and about. I also do 99% of my business over email, so that'd be a huge boon to my productivity. As it happens, I also need a new iPod.

Maybe Apple will come out with an iiPod (internet iPod) before long.

Thad
post #27 of 95
Law states that you must have the option to unlock your cell phone, in case you want to switch carriers, and not want to pay for another cellphone. I guess Apple/Cingular is above the law.
post #28 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Law states that you must have the option to unlock your cell phone, in case you want to switch carriers, and not want to pay for another cellphone. I guess Apple/Cingular is above the law.

What law is that? Almost every phone sold through the carriers is locked...
post #29 of 95
Crazy! This sounds really familiar . . . . .hmmm . . .where did I hear this before . . . . ..

Pretty funny. Now, if I can only predict the stock market . . . .
post #30 of 95
Quote:

The law says no such thing.... Nothing worse then someone making a statement as FACT when its anything BUT...

The only thing the exemptions to the ACT (it's not a law of its own - simply an exemptions) states is that isn't NOT illegal TO unlock (or attempt to unlock) a phone. Thats a far cry form stating someone MUST unlock a phone. No company is FORCED to unlock anything if they choose not to...

Dave
post #31 of 95
Quote:

I'm not sure about the law, but the condition for buying an iPhone is that you must sign a contract with Cingular. By activating the phone, you are signing that contract.

The initial activation is only there to ensure that you sign the contract. After that, you are free to switch by calling Cingular and canceling your contract (and paying the fee). The iPhone should (in theory) work perfectly fine with any other provider once it's been activated.

post #32 of 95
I'll post the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

The law says no such thing.... Nothing worse then someone making a statement as FACT when its anything BUT...

The only thing the provision to the law (it's not a law of its own - simply a provision) states is that isn't NOT illegal TO unlock (or attempt to unlock) a phone. Thats a far cry form stating someone MUST unlock a phone. No company is FORCED to unlock anything if they choose not to...

Dave

They don't have to unlock it for you, but If you want to unlock it, so be it. A quick google search will tell you how to unlock your phone.
post #33 of 95
I've been googling and I can't find the article. But I have seen where a phone maker can state that unlocking a phone will void it's warranty.
Quote:

I'm not sure about the law, but the condition for buying an iPhone is that you must sign a contract with Cingular. By activating the phone, you are signing that contract.

The initial activation is only there to ensure that you sign the contract. After that, you are free to switch by calling Cingular and canceling your contract (and paying the fee). The iPhone should (in theory) work perfectly fine with any other provider once it's been activated.
post #34 of 95
can someone help me get my head around this, currently itunes will not let you sync two ipods to the same itunes library, are we going to be able to sync the same library to both an ipod and an iphone?
post #35 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

Did anyone else notice in the video that the "Dull" guy starts out with an 8GB iPhone (7.27 GB formatted) and ends up with a 75 GB phone??. In the beginning you see it reads as a 7.27 GB device. Ok, so far so good. Then towards the end (at 06:18) it shows up as a 74.40 GB iPhone under "Capacity, free space, etc." at the bottom. Yippeee!!!!! It was a joke all along. It's not an 8 GB phone after all. It's a 80 GB phone!!!!!

Ok, Ok, I know, it won't happen, but pretty damn funny and not a good catch for Apple. As detail oriented as they are, I would thought they would have caught that. Oh well. Maybe nextr time.

P.S. If you download the video, you can pull it up in Quicktime and see at time stamp 06:21 that the iPhone reads "7.27 GB at the top (under "Name, Capacity, Software Version, etc.") but still reads 74.40 GB at the bottom (under "Capacity, audio, Video," etc.).

Yes, there is a whole thread devoted to just this.
post #36 of 95
Did anyone else notice in the video that the "Dull" guy starts out with an 8GB iPhone (7.27 GB formatted) and ends up with a 75 GB phone??. In the beginning you see it reads as a 7.27 GB device. Ok, so far so good. Then towards the end (at 06:18) it shows up as a 74.40 GB iPhone under "Capacity, free space, etc." at the bottom. Yippeee!!!!! It was a joke all along. It's not an 8 GB phone after all. It's a 80 GB phone!!!!!

Ok, Ok, I know, it won't happen, but pretty damn funny and not a good catch for Apple. As detail oriented as they are, I would thought they would have caught that. Oh well. Maybe nextr time.

P.S. If you download the video, you can pull it up in Quicktime and see at time stamp 06:21 that the iPhone reads "7.27 GB at the top (under "Name, Capacity, Software Version, etc.") but still reads 74.40 GB at the bottom (under "Capacity, audio, Video," etc.).
post #37 of 95
Quote:

The iPhone should (in theory) work perfectly fine with any other provider once it's been activated.

I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

For other providers to get in on the action, Apple would have to revise the activation process amongst other things. It is all programmed in the software.

If one thinks that this is doable, consider trying to set up a US account or purchase from the iTunes store from another country.
post #38 of 95
Have you guys seen this:

Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval.

It's on the AT&T rate plans webpage:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html
post #39 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yes, there is a whole thread devoted to just this.

Thanks!
post #40 of 95
ARRRRGGHHH, What the hell is with the time stamps being all screwed UP? EVery time I quick reply I get told that I just posted less than ten seconds ago.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says iPhone can be activated by users at home