or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Combined iPhone service and data plans to start at $60 per month

Combined iPhone service and data plans to start at $60 per month - Page 3

post #81 of 128
that's what i'm paying now for my v551 60+inslurance
no gouging seen yea
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #82 of 128
Does anyone know if these plans include long distance calling (in the US)?

Nowadays most cells let you call outside your zipcode without issue, but I want to be damn certain of it. Small print and all you know.
post #83 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilraq View Post

Does anyone know if these plans include long distance calling (in the US)?

Free nationwide long distance is pretty much a given for cell phones anymore.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #84 of 128
Can someone define Unlimited Mobile to Mobile? I'm assuming it means both partiesmust be on Cingular/AT&T?
post #85 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbehunin View Post

Can someone define Unlimited Mobile to Mobile? I'm assuming it means both partiesmust be on Cingular/AT&T?

Yes.

And if you have an AT&T (Bellsouth) landline which includes AT&T unlimited long distance, you might be able to get on AT&T's Unity Plan so you can even have calsl to/from any AT&T (Bellsouth) landline from your AT&T wireless phone (iPhone) without using call plan minutes.

You're eligible if you live in one of the states they provide this service and:
- \tYou subscribe to qualifying unlimited AT&T local service plan.
-\tYou have an unlimited AT&T long distance plan.
-\tYou have combined billing with AT&T and Cingular Wireless.

Rich Koster
DisneyEcho webMOUSEter
Rich Koster
DisneyEcho webMOUSEter
post #86 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

I was wondering is the sms like a text cost each time I send or a session.. like in Ichat..

There seems to be some confusion about SMS Text Messages, and Visual Voicemail.

According to the ATT iPhone rate plan site, there are 200 Visual Voicemails a month, and, for the $59.99 plan, 5,000 SMS Text Messages a month.

For the higher plans, there are still 200 VVM's, but now the SMS goes to unlimited.

See here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html
post #87 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

According to the ATT iPhone rate plan site, there are 200 Visual Voicemails a month, and, for the $59.99 plan, 5,000 SMS Text Messages a month.

For the higher plans, there are still 200 VVM's, but now the SMS goes to unlimited.

See here:

Eh? Where are you getting that? I don't see any limit on voicemails.
post #88 of 128
Quote:

See here:

Mel, look again, there are no limits to visual voice mail.

No, there seems to be some confusion between SMS and iChat. And I think it's because Apple wrote an interface to SMS that looks practically identical to iChat.

SMS = text messages.
post #89 of 128
200 sms? i hope they are joking
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
post #90 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Mel, look again, there are no limits to visual voice mail.

No, there seems to be some confusion between SMS and iChat. And I think it's because Apple wrote an interface to SMS that looks practically identical to iChat.

SMS = text messages.

Ok, I see where the problem is.

On my machine, and I suppose yours as well, the columns don't line up. I was seeing voicemail as being in the same column as 200, and SMS in the same column as 5000.

I don't know why they don't fix that. I'm sure I won't be the only one to make that mistake.

post #91 of 128
[deleted - never mind. looked up more details on my account and the +$20 thing makes more mathematical sense now. ]
post #92 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

You all need to read the fine print on these things.

Taken from the AT&T site on their data connect plans. I highlighted the good parts.

What you should have done was quote Verizon's so-called "unlimited data" policy first, and watch everyone here complain about Verizon being greedy and deceptive. Wait a while and then quote AT&T's policy which seems almost similar, and see if those same people will change their story just because AT&T is the exclusive mobile carrier for the iPhone.
post #93 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbritt View Post

\\

even songs bought from the itunes music store? i was thinking that this was not permitted on DRMed media

you can authorize up to five computers per apple id account. There is an option to reset all authorizations but this is limited in time, that is you can only reset your authorizations every year or so.

The number of ipods you can connect to one library is unlimited.

Great pricing, restrictions look ok, iPhone will come with SIM card in package. Also dock, earphones and cleaning cloth :-)
post #94 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-maze View Post

Great pricing, restrictions look ok, iPhone will come with SIM card in package. Also dock, earphones and cleaning cloth :-)

Plus, no doubt, a free bubble-wrap carrying case!

Rich Koster
DisneyEcho webMOUSEter
Rich Koster
DisneyEcho webMOUSEter
post #95 of 128
Holy shit those are really impressive rates! I already pay close to that in Canada and get next to nothing. No wonder why rogers can't reach a deal with apple.

Rogers: iPhone? Great! So we need a plan.... hmmm how's $75 a month with 20mb of data sound?

Apple: Lyk zomg wtf dats 2 much we won't sail any bai!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #96 of 128
Quote:

Ok, I see where our confusion is coming from.

And I think that there will be until the 6 pm on Friday.

Personally, I don't think that the iPhone has a SIM card. It doesn't need one even if it were a true GSM, which by the way, there is no international law that dictates it be there or has an impossible penalty if it weren't. It is simply a standard.

As for the iPhone, Steve has made a virual SIM. Just connect to your computer and it autmatically activates your iTunes which then syncs everything that you need or want, and does it better than the old fashioned card. I'll bet when the next generation iPhone appears, it will automatically update itelf.

Traveling with your iPhone won't be a problem once and if the country you are in has the iPhone/carrier. Bet it will simply be as easy at it will be here at home. Everything will sync, no need to rent or purchase a new phone and swap a SIM card. Just activate your iPhone and voila you are connected. Countries without? Watch the roaming charges.

One thing that we should all applaud is the immense planning and development of and to the launch of the iPhone. What Steve has done, and with the help of thousands of other, is launch a revolution on the scale of the invasion of Europe. In total secrecy, on time and with such tenacity wipe the competition off the map to put Steve on the cover of Time once again.

Jobs for President.
post #97 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Personally, I don't think that the iPhone has a SIM card.

I give up...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #98 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I give up...

I think you've been overly patient already.
post #99 of 128
Text messages are the biggest scam EVER.

Each character is 8 BITS = 1 BYTE. An ancient 2400bps modem can transmit/download a 300-character message in 1 second.

This entire messages is less than that.

TEXT MESSAGES SHOULD BE UNLIMITED/INCLUDED WITH DATA, and I wish Apple would have pressed for this.

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

post #100 of 128
One of the first reviews, by Pogue, for the Times, if not THE first.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/te...prod=permalink
post #101 of 128
Also, the activation fee is ridiculous. I could see one if there was no 2-year contract. But that's just a slap in the face.

So the 200 text message limit and the activation fee suck. Other than that it's a real good plan.

I don't even use near 200 text messages a month but it's the principle of it.

post #102 of 128
this is obviously my first post. I have been reading them for a week or so. I have not seen anything about whether or not Apple or AT&T will offer insurance for the phone???
post #103 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotamac View Post

this is obviously my first post. I have been reading them for a week or so. I have not seen anything about whether or not Apple or AT&T will offer insurance for the phone???

I'm 99% sure that Apple or ATT announced that you could NOT get insurance on the iPhone. So take care of it!
post #104 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

... privacy of their own home.

Anyway, I did this once years ago with my Sprint phone. Talk about a nightmare. I'd rather spend the time in the store as I know the phone will be online before I leave the store. Still, this should keep the lines moving quickly this Friday.

Try watching the video dude. It doesn't look any harder than installing iTunes the first time.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/activation.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #105 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I HATE CANADA'S TELECOM MARKET.

Whew. Sorry. But Rogers is $100 for 100MB of data. There are no unlimited data plans full stop, there doesn't seem to be unlimited voice plans either (or unlimited text plans)I could be wrong, I didn't go hunting too hard. Long distance minutes are separate and expensive as well.

I'm going to go off and cry at how hard Canadians get screwed by our telecoms.
post #106 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

What about Roaming? Is it free long-distance - Free Roaming? Do you have an AT&T plan now? Does Anyone? I was looking at another basic plan on AT&T's site, and it has long-distance, and Roaming costs both listed as $0.00

I wasn't sure if that meant it didn't cost or it doesn't cost until you use it. KInd of Bait, and switch. I'm naturally paranoid.
onlooker

onlooker

post #107 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbehunin View Post

You've got it. They claim 62 million AT&T users -
post #108 of 128
Today, when I was at the Apple Store, a group of about 4 employees were gathered around looking at the website with the iPhone rate plans, etc. when one of them discovered that the phone would be locked - iPod included - if it was not activated with an AT&T plan. They were all visibly annoyed and continued to grumble about it for the duration of my visit - 10 minutes more or so...

Me, I'm going to get the iPhone as a gift, but for myself, I'm waiting for the iPod with WiFi and multitouch. I don't need a phone that's bigger than my hand.
post #109 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

What about Roaming? Is it free long-distance - Free Roaming? Do you have an AT&T plan now? Does Anyone? I was looking at another basic plan on AT&T's site, and it has long-distance, and Roaming costs both listed as $0.00

I wasn't sure if that meant it didn't cost or it doesn't cost until you use it. KInd of Bait, and switch. I'm naturally paranoid.

I have ATT.

These days the premium for a phone plan that eliminates any roaming and any long distance is pretty much nil. I'm sure these iPhone plans are national (AKA no roaming) plans and I don't know of any plans that charge long distance anymore. The bottom line is that the iPhone users who use plans listed today most certainly won't ever see a roaming or long distance charge on plans.

Here's an unrelated observation.

Why did the press today make such a big plan about how the cheapest plan for the iPhone would be $60, suggesting that it was high? I don't think I saw a single article emphasizing the fact that the comparison was to other voice+data plans, and that the iPhone plans were cheaper than anything on the market pretty much. What's the deal? iPhone went from media darling to devil once they announced the plans!
post #110 of 128
Here in Finland we'd pay 30, about $40, for a plan comparable to the low-end iPhone plan, with 500 minutes, 100 SMS and unlimited 3G/EDGE/GPRS data at 128kbps maximum. The $40 includes 22% VAT, dunno how much tax is in the US iPhone payment.

On our scale, $60 for the aforementioned sounds quite steep, but judging from the iPhone contract cancellation fee and the two-year contract, there's about $7 worth of phone hardware in each monthly payment so the cost of the calling plan works out to $53. That's quite close.

I don't pay a monthly fee, just a flat 7¢ a minute and 7¢ a SMS. I tend to have about 200 mins a month and a handful of SMS a week, which works out to slightly below the price of the minute package. I like this setup as it does not create an incentive to talk or SMS either more or less than how much I actually want.
post #111 of 128
My only gripes are these:

PDF viewer support (not sure if it has it)
At $99.99 a month, they could give you unlimited text messaging for crying out loud
No java support at the time being (probably a good thing since AT&T's network is so slow.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #112 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I give up...

Interesting: "Also of note is the apparent lack of SIM card slot; while this could be down to preproduction models being taken as gospel, the expected slot on top of the handset is missing."
vhttp://www.slashgear.com/more-iphone-news-no-sim-slot-045562.php

"Downsides noted by Walt and Katie: No SIM card (which means you can't use it on T-Mobile and can't buy cheap voice minutes or data when you're overseas" http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/004739.html
post #113 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Interesting: "Also of note is the apparent lack of SIM card slot; while this could be down to preproduction models being taken as gospel, the expected slot on top of the handset is missing."
vhttp://www.slashgear.com/more-iphone-news-no-sim-slot-045562.php

"Downsides noted by Walt and Katie: No SIM card (which means you can't use it on T-Mobile and can't buy cheap voice minutes or data when you're overseas" http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/004739.html

AAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHH.

Stop it. Really. I mean it.

See that bit with the hole in one end ... on the top of the iPhone?

That's the damned SIM slot.

Walt & Katie were complaining that the phone wouldn't accept a T-Mobile SIM and not that it didn't have a slot for a SIM.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #114 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

The iPhone has a freakin' 'SIM tray' ... the damned thing is removable.

Despite saying that, I'm certain that the question will be asked countless additional times.

Then there are 2 other questions:

1) Can the SIM card from the iPhone be used in other AT&T phones? For example, if you are replacing your iPhone, can you take the card from the iPhone and stick it in the new phone without having to go through an activation process like Sprint and Verizon?

2) Can the iPhone use a SIM card from another AT&T phone? If I am already an AT&T customer, can I just take the SIM card from my current phone, stick it in the iPhone and have it start working right away without having to give Apple my credit card number and sign up for an iTunes store account?
post #115 of 128
Ill be getting the "special" service plan. Its consists of a person with a wifi enabled backpack following me around to give me unlimited wifi internet.

They will also have to have a portable cell tower they carry around with them, I was thinking around 15 feet high.
post #116 of 128
Wow.. just realized that the data prices have really come down in Finland.

You get 3G/GPRS/EDGE data, max 128kbps, at 10/month. Combined with a contract with no monthly payment, that's a rather powerful dedicated data channel and it's 120/year.

If you did a limited amount of IMAP e-mail, instant messaging, web surfing and terminal work, that could possibly be done on a 25MB/month package which is 4/month and 48/year.

For special projects such as a measuring station or security system that need to send a limited amount of data now and then, or just be reachable, you could go with zero monthly, 1.5/1MB pure data pricing, potentially pay just a handful of euros a year and still have the luxury of 24/7 connection and availability.

I thought my new Macbook was enough in every way for the next few years, but the lack of internal 3G modem and no expansion slot to add one is starting to look bad. It's starting to look like a no brainer to be connected 24/7.
post #117 of 128
Quote:

AAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHH.

Stop it. Really. I mean it.

See that bit with the hole in one end ... on the top of the iPhone?

Walt & Katie were complaining that the phone wouldn't accept a T-Mobile SIM and not that it didn't have a slot for a SIM.

Oh good! I was going to do that.

post #118 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Then there are 2 other questions:

1) Can the SIM card from the iPhone be used in other AT&T phones? For example, if you are replacing your iPhone, can you take the card from the iPhone and stick it in the new phone without having to go through an activation process like Sprint and Verizon?

2) Can the iPhone use a SIM card from another AT&T phone? If I am already an AT&T customer, can I just take the SIM card from my current phone, stick it in the iPhone and have it start working right away without having to give Apple my credit card number and sign up for an iTunes store account?

Probably not, but I haven't seen anything written about it yet.
post #119 of 128
In one's home, away from all the noise and hype, a person could look at everything before deciding on anything.

Guess I don't like salespeople who are trained to sell, sell, sell. It's not their fault they can't answer all questions.

It is my fault if I goof at home.
post #120 of 128
Quote:

AAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHH. Stop it. Really. I mean it. See that bit with the hole in one end ... on the top of the iPhone? That's the damned SIM slot. Walt & Katie were complaining that the phone wouldn't accept a T-Mobile SIM and not that it didn't have a slot for a SIM.

FAKE!!!! FAKE!!!! FAKE!!!!

You're Photoshop skills leave A_L_O_T to be desired...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Combined iPhone service and data plans to start at $60 per month