or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › E-book reader(s) for iPhone?

E-book reader(s) for iPhone?

post #1 of 6
I'm trying to figure out if there is going to be any e-book reader support. My local library lets you check out e-books in Adobe Reader format. It's great to be able to carry a couple books on my Windows PDA. I'm desperately hoping that this support is in the iPhone. I've been searching around, and so far I'm beginning to think it is not supported, but I don't know for sure. Has anyone heard anything about e-book reader support?

Oh, and just to clarify, I don't care about buying audio-books from iTunes. I just want to be able to checkout e-books from my library.

Thanks!
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

Oh, and just to clarify, I don't care about buying audio-books from iTunes. I just want to be able to checkout e-books from my library.

I'm confused...

If the file is a normal Adobe PDF then I don't see a problem other than how you'd get the file TO the phone.

If an "e-book Adobe PDF" is something entirely different then I dunno... I wouldn't expect to see support for it in the near future.

Edit...

I found it I think... http://www.adobe.com/products/ebookreader/

If that's it then no, I wouldn't expect to see it working on the iPhone - not right away anyway...

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #3 of 6
You get it to the iPhone via Email. Just attach the file and email it to yourself. Then open the attachment via your iPhone email client. The demo already showcased how you can view PDF's and Word docs. So an eBook shouldn't be a problem at all.

I wonder if you can open a PDF within the iPhone Safari browser too?
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

You get it to the iPhone via Email. Just attach the file and email it to yourself. Then open the attachment via your iPhone email client. The demo already showcased how you can view PDF's and Word docs. So an eBook shouldn't be a problem at all.

I wonder if you can open a PDF within the iPhone Safari browser too?

E-book PDFs are DRMed (unless they happen to be public domain). So if the built-in PDF viewer in the iPhone is setup to handle the type of DRM used for e-books, then that would work (e-mailing it that is). However, I haven't found any confirmation one way or the other, and lack thereof makes me think it isn't supported
post #5 of 6
There must be a more efficient way of sending files to the iPhone. I know you can use iTunes to send media, contact and calendar information over, but what about other documents? Email is fine for small files, but what about that 50 meg document you need for work? Bluetooth or WiFi would be more than fine, but there hasn't been any mention of local area network capabilities, or bluetooth file transfer.

Surly Apple wouldn't have missed this?
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Surly Apple wouldn't have missed this?

You really think Apple is Surly? Have you called Verizon asking about the iPhone lately? Now, that's surly!

Rich Koster
DisneyEcho webMOUSEter
Rich Koster
DisneyEcho webMOUSEter
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › E-book reader(s) for iPhone?