or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › I'm Not Getting an iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm Not Getting an iPhone

post #1 of 106
Thread Starter 
Why?

1. It's not in my summer budget

2. EDGE speed looks to suck as much or more than we thought.

3. Storage totally inadequate. 4GB? 8GB? That's a joke, Apple. I can put a few movies and some of my music. Not good enough.

4. The rush of users is going to overwhelm the system for activation and temporarily, usage. Just my opinion.

5. I have doubts about the first rev of a product from Apple. I've never bought one. Period.

6. No flash support.

7. No wireless sync



That's the list of deal breakers for me. I realize it's not comprehensive, like the "iPhone Doesn't Have It" thread. Those are the ones that I need to see corrected (the budget, though listed first...well we know that would be placed aside!).
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #2 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

2. EDGE speed looks to suck as much or more than we thought.

Looking at your "Location" line, I seriously doubt you have 3G service where you live.
post #3 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Looking at your "Location" line, I seriously doubt you have 3G service where you live.

Yea... but come on NEVER let the facts get in the way of a good argument!

I'd be willing to bet that a substantial number of people screaming over no 3G support are in a similar spot.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #4 of 106
I'm struggling with the decision. The device is quite appealing and my wife's contract with Nextel expires at the end of the month. However ATT service in my area sucks, and I can't help thinking that version 2 will be better and cheaper.
post #5 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm struggling with the decision. The device is quite appealing and my wife's contract with Nextel expires at the end of the month. However ATT service in my area sucks, and I can't help thinking that version 2 will be better and cheaper.

An rev 3 will be better and cheaper than that
post #6 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

An rev 3 will be better and cheaper than that

Hence the struggle with the decision.

More specifically, I think several things may happen that will address the deficiencies of the current device.
1) ATT will improve its EDGE service and service in general.
2) Wifi will continue it's proliferation thus making EDGE service deficiency less an issue.
3) WiMAX will be deployed and supported on future iPhones and EDGE is a thing of the past.

I think these things will occur within 2 years.
post #7 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Looking at your "Location" line, I seriously doubt you have 3G service where you live.

Well, he's only about 8-15 miles from 3G coverage.

I would think within the next year he'll get it into his area.

Maybe just in time for the next iPhone?

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #8 of 106
There's a number of things about it that I want to see improved before I buy. A lot of them can likely be resolved with a software update, but until I know that update takes place I'm gunshy to jump in.

But storage is a big sticking point for me. I need for the thing to have at least 32GB before I'm willing to buy.

For that kind of money I really also want the thing to have built-in GPS if at all possible.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #9 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Well, he's only about 8-15 miles from 3G coverage.

I'm confused. My coverage area says I have 3G coverage but I've heard that 3G chips are banned in the U.S.? So what am I missing here?
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #10 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

T
But storage is a big sticking point for me. I need for the thing to have at least 32GB before I'm willing to buy.

Yet another feature I expect to see in version 2 that would be quite welcome. I can probably get by with 8 gb but 32gb would make storage a non issue for me.
post #11 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I'm confused. My coverage area says I have 3G coverage but I've heard that 3G chips are banned in the U.S.? So what am I missing here?

I'm not really sure about that. But what I am sure of is that if you have a 3G capable smartphone like the Samsung Blackjack, for example, you would have 3G speeds here in the U.S. wherever there is 3G coverage.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #12 of 106
No video recording? What a load of rubbish.
post #13 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

No video recording? What a load of rubbish.

First - who cares (my opinion obviously) but that said I would say no video recording for now. Apple may, or may not, add a given feature depending on what demand is really like but the great thing is they can add it easily and simply and automatically (with your choice not to if you want) because of the iTunes connection.
post #14 of 106
If they wanted it in they would have done that in the first place, im sure they dont want people right of the jump asking for new things. Christ Jobs said its been 2 years in the making and if they havent put it in now ill bet they wont put it in period.

The fact is that as the list of have nots grow ever more for this phone its becoming more and more difficult for the OSX, UI and Coverflow alone to stand up to the competition.

The fact is that this phone will already be superceded in specs when its hits the shelves.

Things like no MMS or video recording are just a slap in the face
post #15 of 106
My list:

Microsoft Exchange support (besides IMAP). RPC/DAV?
Cut/Copy/Paste functionality
VPN client (apple claims this exists?)
SSH client
ARD admin/client? Or VNC.
SDK - "Power to the programmers"
MMS support for phone-to-phone pics
Java/Flash support
.Mac integration (I bet this happens)
SlingPlayer client would be fun
User created/edited ring tones from songs etc
VOIP - Like the Cisco iPhone LOL
Flash expansion card for storage (since the internal storage is small)
GPS support (I shoudn't have to tell Google Maps where I am, it should tell me!)
Replaceable Battery
iTunes Music Store connectivity. Let me buy my music/videos on my phone.
iChat app (Yahoo, AIM etc) Adium mobile?
Standard SIM card (Unlock the iPhone)
Bigger internal storage 4/8 GB is pretty small
Voice dial
Robust alarm clock app
Video camera
Lower price!
T-Mobile :0)
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
Reply
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
Reply
post #16 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

If they wanted it in they would have done that in the first place, im sure they dont want people right of the jump asking for new things. Christ Jobs said its been 2 years in the making and if they havent put it in now ill bet they wont put it in period.

The fact is that as the list of have nots grow ever more for this phone its becoming more and more difficult for the OSX, UI and Coverflow alone to stand up to the competition.

The fact is that this phone will already be superceded in specs when its hits the shelves.

Things like no MMS or video recording are just a slap in the face

Lets see.... they've already 'added' vpn support, and YouTube support and are going to add Exchange support from the initial published features. So seems like their open to the idea.
post #17 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Looking at your "Location" line, I seriously doubt you have 3G service where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yea... but come on NEVER let the facts get in the way of a good argument!

I'd be willing to bet that a substantial number of people screaming over no 3G support are in a similar spot.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Well, he's only about 8-15 miles from 3G coverage.

I would think within the next year he'll get it into his area.

Maybe just in time for the next iPhone?

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

I don't know about ATT...but we have Verizon EVDO everywhere. The vast majority of my driving around the area is in the VZW broadband network. I'll be happy to wait a year if needed. Most of my deal breakers should be fixed by then. Some are less important than others. The storage could be worked around, but the speed is the real killer for me.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #18 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

The fact is that this phone will already be superceded in specs when its hits the shelves.

Of course; no device can have every "spec." But consider this: How many phones have 4 or 8 gigs standard - any? A 320X480 screen - any? Wifi - a few? The iPhone kicks ass on "specs" in comparison to other phones, and anyone who says otherwise just isn't being objective. And that's not even getting into the intangibles like its user interface, which is the real selling point anyway. Perhaps you're just jealous of us Yanks that you can't get one?
post #19 of 106
just think about it you buy it, use it for a while then by january the new 3G model should be anounce, thats when it gets fun, you suckered someone on ebay for about 500+ with out contract and you get the new one, by that time you should have 3G in your area if you dont, remember the only reason we dont have it, and most europeans country do is because, most of there countries are the size of ellis island with out the statue there ok, we are working on it, we have to worried about others things to like inmigration, iraq and area 51 + UFOs and paris hilton,toys r us all kinds of stuff, besides we like them to try sfuff first, specially when they might be radiation involve
post #20 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

...remember the only reason we dont have it, and most europeans country do is because, most of there countries are the size of ellis island with out the statue there ok, we are working on it, we have to worried about others things to like inmigration, iraq and area 51 + UFOs and paris hilton,toys r us all kinds of stuff, besides we like them to try sfuff first, specially when they might be radiation involve

Dennis Leary, is that you?

"NyQuil, NyQuil, NyQuil, we love you you giant F*#!ING Q!"
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #21 of 106
That was one of the most unfunny attempts to be funny that I've ever seen.

(Not you Cosmo.)
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #22 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Of course; no device can have every "spec." But consider this: How many phones have 4 or 8 gigs standard - any? A 320X480 screen - any? Wifi - a few? The iPhone kicks ass on "specs" in comparison to other phones, and anyone who says otherwise just isn't being objective. And that's not even getting into the intangibles like its user interface, which is the real selling point anyway. Perhaps you're just jealous of us Yanks that you can't get one?

Pretty much all popular memory card formats can go up to 4gig.

All Nokia N9* range phones have had WIFI since the N90 and that was how many years ago? lol Like 2 or 3?

The only reason its a big screen is becasue its all touch screen. Otherwise the biggest you get is like 2.4 or 2.6 inches normally.

I was jealous in a way that you were getting it before but the lack of video recording was the final straw really. No 3G, no mms, only a 2mp cam not even with AF.

Maybe you "yanks" are easily pleased (hence why you guys have a 2 year contract but it will only be 1 in the UK LOL) and ripped of but in Europe we are a bit ahead which is why apart from the interface its not impressing everyone like in the USA.
post #23 of 106
In a way I think the focus on specs is overdone. The success or failure of the iPhone will depend on two factors, IMO. Is it easy and enjoyable to use and is it reliable. While I would prefer 32gbs of storage it isn't a deal breaker for me. My greatest concern is ATT and their service.
post #24 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

In a way I think the focus on specs is overdone. The success or failure of the iPhone will depend on two factors, IMO. Is it easy and enjoyable to use and is it reliable. While I would prefer 32gbs of storage it isn't a deal breaker for me. My greatest concern is ATT and their service.

Same here, which is why I'm waiting on a 3G iPhone. I'll either be living in NYC or DC when that happens, so I know the service will be available.

Frankly, I'm glad it doesn't do 3G right now... can't afford the thing!!
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
Reply
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
Reply
post #25 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Pretty much all popular memory card formats can go up to 4gig.

All Nokia N9* range phones have had WIFI since the N90 and that was how many years ago? lol Like 2 or 3?

The only reason its a big screen is becasue its all touch screen. Otherwise the biggest you get is like 2.4 or 2.6 inches normally.

I was jealous in a way that you were getting it before but the lack of video recording was the final straw really. No 3G, no mms, only a 2mp cam not even with AF.

Maybe you "yanks" are easily pleased (hence why you guys have a 2 year contract but it will only be 1 in the UK LOL) and ripped of but in Europe we are a bit ahead which is why apart from the interface its not impressing everyone like in the USA.

You have to tell me what phone you're using now, because if it really makes the iPhone such a "lol" on specs - more than 8 gigs of memory, larger than 320X480 screen, superior touch-screen interface, works with iTunes, etc. - then I want to buy it from you.
post #26 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

If they wanted it in they would have done that in the first place, im sure they dont want people right of the jump asking for new things. Christ Jobs said its been 2 years in the making and if they havent put it in now ill bet they wont put it in period.

The fact is that as the list of have nots grow ever more for this phone its becoming more and more difficult for the OSX, UI and Coverflow alone to stand up to the competition.

The fact is that this phone will already be superceded in specs when its hits the shelves.

Things like no MMS or video recording are just a slap in the face

The battery is not user replaceable so once that starts to feel a bit old the whole phone has to go back to the Apple mothership for repair. Theres no memory card slot, no chat app, no voice dialing, no GPS, no third-party apps, no Java or Flash support, no MMS support.


'nuff said. It's just a bloody toy.
post #27 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

The battery is not user replaceable so once that starts to feel a bit old the whole phone has to go back to the Apple mothership for repair. Theres no memory card slot, no chat app, no voice dialing, no GPS, no third-party apps, no Java or Flash support, no MMS support.


'nuff said. It's just a bloody toy.

Its really amazing to me that there is such a focus on spec and feature list vs usability and ease of use. To me having all of the above would make it a 'Toy' as opposed to having something that allows me to get what I want done faster and easier.

1) memory card - 8gigs is plenty
2) chatt app???? sms
3) voice dialing - this is the only one that I think could be critical but then again its easy for them to add if it really is
4) GPS - who cares I can read a map I've never use the one on my car - a waste of money for 99% of the time.
5) no Java or Flash - nothing could have made me happier. I dread (and avoid) web sites that depend on Java and click through 99% of Flash stuff as superfluous
6) MMS - email

Now the whole point is that there are many markets that have many different desires and needs. The dismissal of the iPhone because of lack of feature, vs consideration of the whole package, has become a waste of energy. I thought the four major reviews that are out are the best look about.
post #28 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Why?

1. It's not in my summer budget

2. EDGE speed looks to suck as much or more than we thought.

3. Storage totally inadequate. 4GB? 8GB? That's a joke, Apple. I can put a few movies and some of my music. Not good enough.

4. The rush of users is going to overwhelm the system for activation and temporarily, usage. Just my opinion.

5. I have doubts about the first rev of a product from Apple. I've never bought one. Period.

6. No flash support.

7. No wireless sync

1. I have saved $50 out of each paycheck since January. I was forward looking about this. Plus, I am going to sell my Sidekick 3 for $100 on cragislist.

2. I have been using EDGE on my Sidekick for over a year, and it has been just fine. Not fast, but not 2 minutes slow. I have no problems surfing websites while waiting for a movie, or wiating for a table, etc. The kicker for me here is the WiFi on the iPhone that isn't on my sidekick.

3. I have a 5GB iPod, which I just filled up recently. 8GB, will be ok. Sure, I wish it was more, but I can live with 8GBs.

4. Activation, could suck. But I bet it wont be too bad. There have been large phone launches in the past (sure, maybe not as large), and things went ok. As far as useage...there are already hundreds of thousands using EDGE currently. ATT just upgraded their EDGE network, so I don't expect many problems at all.

5. I bought a Rev A 12" powerbook, 5GB iPod, G5, AppleTV, and have never had any issues. My sister has a rev A MacBook (as do two of my friends). My Dad has a rev A 20th aniversary Mac. Again, no issues. People that have issues with rev A are in the minority (a vocal one, but none the less). Plus, that is what 1 yr warenties are for.

6. If you mean flash in the browser, that can easily be upgraded. Plus Apple has already confirmed there will be many free software updates over the life of the iPhone. I fully expect flash to be one of them.

7. I used wireless sync with my AppleTV. It blows. Thank god I could hard wire it, because wireless is just not up to speed.
post #29 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

The battery is not user replaceable so once that starts to feel a bit old the whole phone has to go back to the Apple mothership for repair. There’s no memory card slot, no chat app, no voice dialing, no GPS, no third-party apps, no Java or Flash support, no MMS support.


'nuff said. It's just a bloody toy.

Haha, I love it. "no MMS, it's just a toy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Its really amazing to me that there is such a focus on spec and feature list vs usability and ease of use.

Yes, but any objective observer would have to agree that the iPhone is better than most phones on its feature list too. Any phone that has a feature that the current iPhone doesn't have - say, video recording - is going to fall way short on a long list of other features, like built-in memory, size of screen, iTunes integration, etc. Of course, that feature list makes it expensive too.
post #30 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Pretty much all popular memory card formats can go up to 4gig.

All Nokia N9* range phones have had WIFI since the N90 and that was how many years ago? lol Like 2 or 3?

The only reason its a big screen is becasue its all touch screen. Otherwise the biggest you get is like 2.4 or 2.6 inches normally.

I was jealous in a way that you were getting it before but the lack of video recording was the final straw really. No 3G, no mms, only a 2mp cam not even with AF.

Maybe you "yanks" are easily pleased (hence why you guys have a 2 year contract but it will only be 1 in the UK LOL) and ripped of but in Europe we are a bit ahead which is why apart from the interface its not impressing everyone like in the USA.

This is not an iPhone bashing thread, so let's clarify that right now. Overall it's going to be a great product. It just has some issues as far as I'm concerned. The speed is the paramount one. If it's faster than I expect, I may get one sooner rather than later.

But really.."no video recording" was the final straw? That's dumb. I could care less about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

In a way I think the focus on specs is overdone. The success or failure of the iPhone will depend on two factors, IMO. Is it easy and enjoyable to use and is it reliable. While I would prefer 32gbs of storage it isn't a deal breaker for me. My greatest concern is ATT and their service.

But if the real-world speed sucks, that's a problem. Also, I'm not asking for 32GB right now. But 8/16 would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Same here, which is why I'm waiting on a 3G iPhone. I'll either be living in NYC or DC when that happens, so I know the service will be available.

Frankly, I'm glad it doesn't do 3G right now... can't afford the thing!!

If the speed was right and it had a few other improvements, I'd find the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

The battery is not user replaceable so once that starts to feel a bit old the whole phone has to go back to the Apple mothership for repair. Theres no memory card slot, no chat app, no voice dialing, no GPS, no third-party apps, no Java or Flash support, no MMS support.


'nuff said. It's just a bloody toy.

It's going to be much more than a toy, but your list is spot on. The battery could be a serious issue. It's a $500-600 device. It should damn well have a replaceable battery.

A mem card slot doesn't do much for me. It's nice I guess, but not necessary.

The lack of a chat app is very surprising...

....as is its lack of support for MMS. That's a 2002 technology for the Christ's sake.

In fairness, third party apps will come, and fast.

Again though, if I really examine what's important to me, it's speed. I can live without chat and without MMS...easily. But the speed and storage issues (and no wireless sync) are bothersome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Its really amazing to me that there is such a focus on spec and feature list vs usability and ease of use. To me having all of the above would make it a 'Toy' as opposed to having something that allows me to get what I want done faster and easier.

1) memory card - 8gigs is plenty
2) chatt app???? sms
3) voice dialing - this is the only one that I think could be critical but then again its easy for them to add if it really is
4) GPS - who cares I can read a map I've never use the one on my car - a waste of money for 99% of the time.
5) no Java or Flash - nothing could have made me happier. I dread (and avoid) web sites that depend on Java and click through 99% of Flash stuff as superfluous
6) MMS - email

Now the whole point is that there are many markets that have many different desires and needs. The dismissal of the iPhone because of lack of feature, vs consideration of the whole package, has become a waste of energy. I thought the four major reviews that are out are the best look about.

First, I'm not dismissing it. I'm just not getting one. Now...

1. No, it's not. A high quality MPEG-4 feature can take 500-900MB. Then you have pictures, TV episodes, calendars, and contacts....and music. Even my small music collection is like 12-15GB.

2. Not the same. Jesus.

3. Easy to add does not equal "present." Not a deal breaker for me, but it's weird given that this has been around for at least 7 years.

4. I see your point...and you'll notice I didn't point it out. However, consider that we're talking about a premium priced device here.

5. Yes, but a lot of sites use flash now. Java annoys the shit out of me, but flash is needed. Fortunately it should be coming soon.

6. I guess...but what if you want to send pix to a regular mobile phone user? Not a huge deal, but noticeably absent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Haha, I love it. "no MMS, it's just a toy."

Yes, but any objective observer would have to agree that the iPhone is better than most phones on its feature list too. Any phone that has a feature that the current iPhone doesn't have - say, video recording - is going to fall way short on a long list of other features, like built-in memory, size of screen, iTunes integration, etc. Of course, that feature list makes it expensive too.

That's quite true.

However, for someone like me it's a question of whether or not I plunk down $600 for one...plus tax, so it's $640.00. In other words, that's kind of a false dilemma you're using. If one is getting a smartphone anyway, you're right in that one will be hard pressed to find a better, more feature complete one. But for someone that probably wouldn't buy a smartphone, it's questionable whether or not an iphone is worth it, especially taking the speed, storage and other minor annoyances into account.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #31 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This is not an iPhone bashing thread, so let's clarify that right now. Overall it's going to be a great product. It just has some issues as far as I'm concerned. The speed is the paramount one. If it's faster than I expect, I may get one sooner rather than later.

But really.."no video recording" was the final straw? That's dumb. I could care less about that.



But if the real-world speed sucks, that's a problem. Also, I'm not asking for 32GB right now. But 8/16 would be nice.



If the speed was right and it had a few other improvements, I'd find the money.



It's going to be much more than a toy, but your list is spot on. The battery could be a serious issue. It's a $500-600 device. It should damn well have a replaceable battery.

This I've never understood. I've never replaced the battery is 3 ipods in the family over 3-4 years. I've only replaced the battery in my phone once, about 4 years ago with older batteries. I have no need for extra batteries, especially with the battery life they seem to have gotten. I much prefer the smaller package and lack of failure points to a replaceable battery. This, to me, is a very reasonable engineering tradeoff.

Now, as to the price, as has been shown numerous other places, with the contract the iPhone is CHEAPER that a Motorola Q. This is not a particularly expensive phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post



First, I'm not dismissing it. I'm just not getting one. Now...

1. No, it's not. A high quality MPEG-4 feature can take 500-900MB. Then you have pictures, TV episodes, calendars, and contacts....and music. Even my small music collection is like 12-15GB.

So is mine (size of library) but with the simplicity of iTunes I've never needed more than my current 5GB iPod for the music and I have no problem choosing just a couple of movies to take with me at any given time. The syncing is trivial. I'd rather not pay for more storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


2. Not the same. Jesus.[iChat]

But is it for me the way I use iChat. So again, different target market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

3. Easy to add does not equal "present." Not a deal breaker for me, but it's weird given that this has been around for at least 7 years.

This [Voice Activation] is the main one, and least discussed around here, that seems out of line, because, to me, its a safety issue!! Dialing in the car without voice activation is a major ding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

4. I see your point...and you'll notice I didn't point it out. However, consider that we're talking about a premium priced device here.

See above, we're not really talking about a premium priced device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

5. Yes, but a lot of sites use flash now. Java annoys the shit out of me, but flash is needed. Fortunately it should be coming soon.

6. I guess...but what if you want to send pix to a regular mobile phone user? Not a huge deal, but noticeably absent.

To me mms was developed as a substitute for e-mail. Since I've never done this of course I don't miss it but some would.
post #32 of 106
Voice dialing is a puzzler to me-- it seems like such an easy, natural way to extend the functionality of the iPhone.

My guess is that it will added via software update and be touted as an example of how Apple can make the iPhone ever better with no additional cost to the user due to its flexible UI and real OS.

Apple was very specific about how free updates would be part of the appeal of the iPhone, you have to figure they've got some goodies in reserve.

Having said that, anyone that has been an Apple customer for more than a few years knows that Apple distinguishes itself as much by the features it leaves out as the features it puts in.

That's what makes Apple products superior in many cases, IMO. They have the discipline and vision to step away from the "feature" bullet-point list the engineering and marketing guys have cooked up, and think about what most people want to do and how to do that well.

The whole point of the iPhone is that it is entering a market crammed to the brim with "feature" packed phones that the vast majority of users have no idea how to access, much less use.

Feature nerds always clamor for more, always dismiss Apple's offerings as "toys" because they don't have enough slots or buttons or dongles or lights. They always think that whatever they like is the critical feature, the one that will doom the product to irrelevancy and toy status, because all the cool kids want it.

Apple isn't always right about this stuff-- they've left out things that proved to be more generally desirable than they realized, as in the case of their slow adoption of CD burners.

But they're pretty good at it. And, of course, the beauty of the iPhone is that they really can address any shortcomings that turn out to be widely regarded as show-stoppers, while the phones are in the hands of consumers, and without a new model.

Well, except for storage and speed, which will no doubt be addressed at the next iteration. On that, I'm pretty much with SDW-- I'll wait and see, but I may be waiting a bit longer after that to take the plunge.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #33 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Voice dialing is a puzzler to me-- it seems like such an easy, natural way to extend the functionality of the iPhone.

Yep... the only reasons I can possibly come up with are (some combination of).

- Unusual drain on battery life

- Poor testing results and feature was canned till it could be worked out.

Or they simply chose to hold that feature back with some others they are still working on (Exchange support?!) until the first Apple Software Update comes down the line.... so they have 'a few new things' to grab peoples attention - once the initial hype starts dying down...

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #34 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

T


But if the real-world speed sucks, that's a problem. Also, I'm not asking for 32GB right now. But 8/16 would be nice.

I agree. I think for most people who are serious considering buying an iPhone this is their only real concern. I know it is for me. Knowing that I was interested in an iPhone, I switched to cingular about 3 months ago so I could get an idea of their service quality . I do have concerns about ATT(cingular).
post #35 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Voice dialing is a puzzler to me-- it seems like such an easy, natural way to extend the functionality of the iPhone.

My guess is that it will added via software update and be touted as an example of how Apple can make the iPhone ever better with no additional cost to the user due to its flexible UI and real OS.

Apple was very specific about how free updates would be part of the appeal of the iPhone, you have to figure they've got some goodies in reserve.

Having said that, anyone that has been an Apple customer for more than a few years knows that Apple distinguishes itself as much by the features it leaves out as the features it puts in.

That's what makes Apple products superior in many cases, IMO. They have the discipline and vision to step away from the "feature" bullet-point list the engineering and marketing guys have cooked up, and think about what most people want to do and how to do that well.

The whole point of the iPhone is that it is entering a market crammed to the brim with "feature" packed phones that the vast majority of users have no idea how to access, much less use.

Feature nerds always clamor for more, always dismiss Apple's offerings as "toys" because they don't have enough slots or buttons or dongles or lights. They always think that whatever they like is the critical feature, the one that will doom the product to irrelevancy and toy status, because all the cool kids want it.

Apple isn't always right about this stuff-- they've left out things that proved to be more generally desirable than they realized, as in the case of their slow adoption of CD burners.

But they're pretty good at it. And, of course, the beauty of the iPhone is that they really can address any shortcomings that turn out to be widely regarded as show-stoppers, while the phones are in the hands of consumers, and without a new model.

Well, except for storage and speed, which will no doubt be addressed at the next iteration. On that, I'm pretty much with SDW-- I'll wait and see, but I may be waiting a bit longer after that to take the plunge.

+++++
post #36 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

This I've never understood. I've never replaced the battery is 3 ipods in the family over 3-4 years. I've only replaced the battery in my phone once, about 4 years ago with older batteries. I have no need for extra batteries, especially with the battery life they seem to have gotten. I much prefer the smaller package and lack of failure points to a replaceable battery. This, to me, is a very reasonable engineering tradeoff.

I haven't either. That said, you're talking about much more battery usage than you are with a regular phone. And while I've not had an issue, I have heard of many iPod battery problems. It's different in my mind because while I use my iPod lightly or even moderately, I charge it maybe once a week or every two weeks at maximum. The iPhone is going to be cycled constantly. It's going to sit in your car on a trip. You'll be on the phone a lot and then plug it in at night. It's a different animal. Again..not a deal breaker, but noticeable.

Quote:
Now, as to the price, as has been shown numerous other places, with the contract the iPhone is CHEAPER that a Motorola Q. This is not a particularly expensive phone.

It's $600. Show me a phone that is $600. Or even $500.

http://wireless.bestbuy.com/devicefi...agent=&x=8&y=7

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...55p/index.html

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...PhonesBody.jsp

The worst price I can find on the Q is $419. And that would be outrageous if someone paid that. The iPhone is $600. No subsidy. Get real, sir.

Quote:
So is mine (size of library) but with the simplicity of iTunes I've never needed more than my current 5GB iPod for the music and I have no problem choosing just a couple of movies to take with me at any given time. The syncing is trivial. I'd rather not pay for more storage.

It has nothing to do with The Simplicity of iTunes (TM). A "few" movies could take up half the device easily. And now I have to sit and figure out what music I want and don't want? No thanks.

Quote:
But is it for me the way I use iChat. So again, different target market.

Uh...can you communicate with someone using iChat on their computer?

Quote:
This [Voice Activation] is the main one, and least discussed around here, that seems out of line, because, to me, its a safety issue!! Dialing in the car without voice activation is a major ding.

Agreed.


Quote:
See above, we're not really talking about a premium priced device.

Then you're rich or in denial. Possibly both.

Quote:

To me mms was developed as a substitute for e-mail. Since I've never done this of course I don't miss it but some would.

To me, you're wrong. MMS was developed to send people pix messages, share photos instantly, etc. This is a major hole in capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Voice dialing is a puzzler to me-- it seems like such an easy, natural way to extend the functionality of the iPhone.(1)

My guess is that it will added via software update and be touted as an example of how Apple can make the iPhone ever better with no additional cost to the user due to its flexible UI and real OS.(2)

Apple was very specific about how free updates would be part of the appeal of the iPhone, you have to figure they've got some goodies in reserve.(3)

Having said that, anyone that has been an Apple customer for more than a few years knows that Apple distinguishes itself as much by the features it leaves out as the features it puts in.(4)

That's what makes Apple products superior in many cases, IMO. They have the discipline and vision to step away from the "feature" bullet-point list the engineering and marketing guys have cooked up, and think about what most people want to do and how to do that well.

The whole point of the iPhone is that it is entering a market crammed to the brim with "feature" packed phones that the vast majority of users have no idea how to access, much less use.(5)

Feature nerds always clamor for more, always dismiss Apple's offerings as "toys" because they don't have enough slots or buttons or dongles or lights. They always think that whatever they like is the critical feature, the one that will doom the product to irrelevancy and toy status, because all the cool kids want it.(6)

Apple isn't always right about this stuff-- they've left out things that proved to be more generally desirable than they realized, as in the case of their slow adoption of CD burners.(7)

But they're pretty good at it. And, of course, the beauty of the iPhone is that they really can address any shortcomings that turn out to be widely regarded as show-stoppers, while the phones are in the hands of consumers, and without a new model.(8)

Well, except for storage and speed, which will no doubt be addressed at the next iteration. On that, I'm pretty much with SDW-- I'll wait and see, but I may be waiting a bit longer after that to take the plunge.

1. Doesn't make sense to me either.

2. Hopefully, yes.

3. True.

4. I agree, but it seems like they have really left out some industry standards.

5. Agreed with that as well. But I think most people know how to use pix messaging, voice dial, et al.

6. Agree in principle, but I hope you see that is not where I (for example) am coming from. I think storage, speed and the lack of certain obvious features ae genuine problems. Honestly, if they solved the speed issue that would be nearly enough for me. The other one that really bothers me is storage, though I assume that will be fixed in the next rev. Voice dial, no mms, even flash...they would all be nice, but I'm really OK without them. Their omission just puzzles me.

7. True. That Lack of CD-RW was a huge mistake, as admitted by Jobs.

Sounds like we are on the same page with storage and speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I agree. I think for most people who are serious considering buying an iPhone this is their only real concern. I know it is for me. Knowing that I was interested in an iPhone, I switched to cingular about 3 months ago so I could get an idea of their service quality . I do have concerns about ATT(cingular).

What has your experience been like? I am ready to tell VZW to shove it up their ass, but I hear ATT is no better. My biggest problem is dropped calls, delays in signal processing (resulting in "talking over" each party) and inconsistent mobile web (which is pathetic on VZW, btw).
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #37 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

What has your experience been like? I am ready to tell VZW to shove it up their ass, but I hear ATT is no better. My biggest problem is dropped calls, delays in signal processing (resulting in "talking over" each party) and inconsistent mobile web (which is pathetic on VZW, btw).

Call quality has been inferior to Nextel(my previous carrier). More dropped calls, and lower quality audio on calls. It's acceptable, I think.

Maybe I'm just telling myself this because I want an iPhone.
post #38 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post



It's $600. Show me a phone that is $600. Or even $500.

The worst price I can find on the Q is $419. And that would be outrageous if someone paid that. The iPhone is $600. No subsidy. Get real, sir.

I think what he meant is the total cost of the phone plus the plan after two years.

For example, a 4GB iPhone with a 1350 minute plan at $99/month would total $2,875 w/o tax over the course of the contract.

The Motorola Q (with the rebates on Verizon, priced at $229) with the same 1350 minute at $122/month would total $3,157 w/o tax over the course of the contract.

(The $122/month includes the first and cheapest text messaging package and detailed billing. Just as you would have on the iPhone.)

Only a $282 difference, but I'd take the iPhone anyday over the Q.

Regardless, I know this is only one example. But hey, at least it's something...
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #39 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I think what he meant is the total cost of the phone plus the plan after two years.

For example, a 4GB iPhone with a 1350 minute plan at $99/month would total $2,875 w/o tax over the course of the contract.

The Motorola Q (with the rebates on Verizon, priced at $229) with the same 1350 minute at $122/month would total $3,157 w/o tax over the course of the contract.

(The $122/month includes the first and cheapest text messaging package and detailed billing. Both of which are included in the iPhone plan.)

To purchase a phone whose carrier (ATT) is rated the worst in the business is nuts. I think that Apple was greedy in picking ATT--they were probably the most desperate and would give Apple the best deal available---and were the easiest to push around.

It may be the best phone in the world, and it may do lots of things, but if you can't use it to make a phone call--it's worthless.
post #40 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I think what he meant is the total cost of the phone plus the plan after two years.

For example, a 4GB iPhone with a 1350 minute plan at $99/month would total $2,875 w/o tax over the course of the contract.

The Motorola Q (with the rebates on Verizon, priced at $229) with the same 1350 minute at $122/month would total $3,157 w/o tax over the course of the contract.

(The $122/month includes the first and cheapest text messaging package and detailed billing. Just as you would have on the iPhone.)

Only a $282 difference, but I'd take the iPhone anyday over the Q.

Regardless, I know this is only one example. But hey, at least it's something...

Exactly, thanks so I didn't have to do this again
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › I'm Not Getting an iPhone