or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Motorola spooked by Apple's iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorola spooked by Apple's iPhone - Page 3

post #81 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

They're already out BEFORE the iPhone, I've had a touch screen phone for almost 3 years now, but bring it on.

3 years? Does it have 3G?

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #82 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

They're already out BEFORE the iPhone, I've had a touch screen phone for almost 3 years now, but bring it on.

You say "touch screen" as though that's the sole distinguishing feature of the iPhone. That's like saying Mac OS is the same as Windows because both use mice and keyboards.

There's a world of difference between the UIs used by the iPhone, PalmOS, Windows Mobile, and Symbian, even though all support touch screens.

The iPhone, as it is shipping today, is a really great piece of tech, and its UI is very new and unique. The fact that it doesn't satisfy everybody's product requirements (including mine, BTW), doesn't change that fact. It should be much easier for Apple to add 3G chips than it will be for Motorola (or others) to clone Apple's UI.
post #83 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

3 years? Does it have 3G?

No, but it is touch screen. All SE UIQ based phones are touch screen. They've been touch screen since the Ericsson R520 in black and white, which was essentially just phone based version of the Psion 5mx. They've had 3G versions out for over a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino View Post

You say "touch screen" as though that's the sole distinguishing feature of the iPhone. That's like saying Mac OS is the same as Windows because both use mice and keyboards.

There's a world of difference between the UIs used by the iPhone, PalmOS, Windows Mobile, and Symbian, even though all support touch screens.

And that's the nub of it. The actual phone itself is pretty underwhelming hardware wise for me. It's all about the software for me and that's Apple's ace card to play because most of the other software producers are terrible at it.

But then I don't think UIQ are that bad either. If Apple are a 9 out of 10, UIQ are a 7 (or 6 for UIQ3). Nokia are a 5, Palm 4, MS and Moto 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino View Post

The iPhone, as it is shipping today, is a really great piece of tech, and its UI is very new and unique. The fact that it doesn't satisfy everybody's product requirements (including mine, BTW), doesn't change that fact. It should be much easier for Apple to add 3G chips than it will be for Motorola (or others) to clone Apple's UI.

Motorola can't even clone Nokia's UI without screwing it up so there's no danger of them ripping off Apple. Their new European phones are back running Symbian again though after a spell with their terrible Java UI.

Personally, having used a stylus driven phone for text and drawing, I'd still like a stylus based interface as well as the finger based interface on the iPhone. How are you supposed to draw accurately using a finger?

I'll also miss one handed operation, which is one of the tennets of UIQ design, although after they dropped the 5 way jog dial in the P990, it was less easy to use IME.

And for us European's the rumour is the 3G iPhone for Europe will be announced Monday with two carriers and an MVNO in the UK...

http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/3466

Carphone Warehouse's boss was on record saying he's played with an iPhone too.
post #84 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

And for us European's the rumour is the 3G iPhone for Europe will be announced Monday with two carriers and an MVNO in the UK...

This early? I'd at least thought they give US iPhone owners a month before they announce a better phone. I'm sure many will want to buy and then activate in the US. Would Apple go to the to prevent such operation?

I like the MVNO route. I wish Apple had done that in the US and incorrectly predicted they would do if they built a cell phone. They certainly have the capital, want to control the environment of their products and services, and certainly know that it's the contractual dues that really bring in the big bucks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #85 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This early? I'd at least thought they give US iPhone owners a month before they announce a better phone. I'm sure many will want to buy and then activate in the US. Would Apple go to the to prevent such operation?

It does seem pretty unlikely. Kewney isn't an idiot generally although he's quoting a journalist in the London Evening Standard and that's fish wrap at the best of times.

However, Vodafone's data charges HAVE changed recently, T-Mobile also is pretty good. Carphone Warehouse's top boss was recently quoted as having used an iPhone and liking it despite it not being as advanced as some other phones they sell. (his words not mine).

So, there's some stars aligning there but a little early to claim the messiah is on the way Monday.

As to 3G, Europe operates 3G on different frequencies to AT&T so you'd not get 3G on a European iPhone in the USA.

The US iPhone has a radio chip that's not capable of 3G btw. http://www.skyworksinc.com/products_....asp?pid=11365

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like the MVNO route. I wish Apple had done that in the US and incorrectly predicted they would do if they built a cell phone. They certainly have the capital, want to control the environment of their products and services, and certainly know that it's the contractual dues that really bring in the big bucks.

Carphone Warehouse in the UK FYI, also supply land-line phones, broadband and a year or so ago bought out AOL UK.

edit: just to be clear, Carphone Warehouse operate as an MVNO on other people's networks. Apple aren't setting up an MVNO.
post #86 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

The US iPhone has a radio chip that's not capable of 3G btw. http://www.skyworksinc.com/products_....asp?pid=11365

Ah, confirmed. Though I called that one awhile back.

Guess that finally puts an end to the "But Apple can just give us 3G with a software update like they did with the laptops and 802.11n, right?" (which wasn't through just a software update, the hardware was in there too).

Sorry iPhone 1 buyers, but:


NO 3G FOR YOU !!!

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #87 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino View Post

You say "touch screen" as though that's the sole distinguishing feature of the iPhone. That's like saying Mac OS is the same as Windows because both use mice and keyboards.

There's a world of difference between the UIs used by the iPhone, PalmOS, Windows Mobile, and Symbian, even though all support touch screens.

Excellent point. 'Touchscreen' alone doesn't mean that much. No phone maker really has anything near as sophisticated as Apple's gesture-based MultiTouch UI.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #88 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Regardless of 3G penetration, you just simply can't buy a smartphone in Europe that isn't 3G enabled, except for American rubbish (Palms, Blackberry...)

Blackberrys are actually Canadian rubbish.
post #89 of 100
Who cares if they're not 3G compatible... are they Wi-Max compatible, though?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #90 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post

Blackberrys are actually Canadian rubbish.

Canada is part of America is it not?
post #91 of 100
Not yet you greedy American scum
post #92 of 100
Hail the NAU
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
post #93 of 100
If I recall correctly, when SJ said that this iPhone would work with EDGE, he also said that "we'll be making some with 3G later on, too".

Here in the US, if you look through AT&T's coverage map (and turn on the checkbox that shows 3G coverage) you'll see that outside of thick metro areas there's little coverage... I'd be surprised to learn that it's over 1 or 2% geographically. I don't know how much extra it would have cost them hardware-wise to include 3G, but they might have decided that with AT&T's low geographic coverage that it wasn't worth the extra $ (plus extra size for the chipsets, as he mentioned in the last minute interview that the iPhone would have needed to be thicker to put them in).
post #94 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boo Bob View Post

If I recall correctly, when SJ said that this iPhone would work with EDGE, he also said that "we'll be making some with 3G later on, too".

Here in the US, if you look through AT&T's coverage map (and turn on the checkbox that shows 3G coverage) you'll see that outside of thick metro areas there's little coverage... I'd be surprised to learn that it's over 1 or 2% geographically. I don't know how much extra it would have cost them hardware-wise to include 3G, but they might have decided that with AT&T's low geographic coverage that it wasn't worth the extra $ (plus extra size for the chipsets, as he mentioned in the last minute interview that the iPhone would have needed to be thicker to put them in).

There are 3G phones smaller and thinner than the iPhone so that's not the reason. I wouldn't have thought a 3G chip would be larger than a 2G chip either. There's also space left inside the iPhone in the antenna chin for a larger antenna.
post #95 of 100
The problem likely exists in that tri-band UMTS chips (i.e. so 3G works both in North America and everywhere else) remain pretty big/expensive.

If Apple added a single UMTS band for the world outside North America (or added two different bands, for North America only) that would be the cheap/small chips you're talking about.

However, breaking up 3G by market may not be what Apple wants.
post #96 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have more respect for Moto now.




iPhone Shuffle would interesting. It could either dial contacts from AddressBook in order or randomly pick people to call.

For all of the females and their drunk dialing to random people. lol
Reply
Reply
post #97 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

The problem likely exists in that tri-band UMTS chips (i.e. so 3G works both in North America and everywhere else) remain pretty big/expensive.

If Apple added a single UMTS band for the world outside North America (or added two different bands, for North America only) that would be the cheap/small chips you're talking about.

However, breaking up 3G by market may not be what Apple wants.

But a phone that only works in part of the world will seriously limit the market. Especially for smart phones, which are frequently used by corporate executive-types, who travel internationally with their phones.
post #98 of 100
The previous Moto conference call was worrying, but now theyre in for a world of hurt!

Quote:
Motorola Inc. warned Wednesday that second-quarter results will be worse than expected and it will post an operating loss because of poor results in its mobile devices business in Asia and Europe.

The company also said it no longer expects mobile devices - its largest business - to be profitable in 2007. Weak results had been expected for the quarter, continuing a tailspin that began last fall when aggressive attempts to increase market share by lowering phone prices began to backfire and hurt profit margins.
post #99 of 100
This is what happens when you don't bother to put a good user interface on the RAZR in the first place and so all the people that bought it hate Motorola.

Also rehashing the same design over 2 years and actually making the RAZR2 look uglier is a good step.

Still have excellent reception/quality, though, as Motorola certainly builds some of the best stuff for that.
post #100 of 100
Motorola better worry about iPhone v2, and a smaller less full feature Apple flip phone. Apple just gained major popularity in the phone market. I think if they released a Razor styled small phone it would sell. I love my iPhone, but I am already waiting for iPhone v2.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Motorola spooked by Apple's iPhone