or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › BMW iPhone integration; Woz in line; Fox News mic jacking
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BMW iPhone integration; Woz in line; Fox News mic jacking

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
BMW plans to be the first automaker to offer a custom iPhone integrated solution within its automobiles. Meanwhile, Woz politely declines Steve Jobs' offer for an iPhone and is instead waiting amongst the masses. And, uh oh -- we have our first TV reporter mic jacking of the afternoon out in New York.

BMW to introduce iPhone connectivity

This afternoon, BMW will be the first automaker to announce a fully integrated system for Apple's brand-new iPhone.

Initially, the German automaker will only offer integration for U.S. models, but with international sales of the iPhone a given, BMW is likely to extend the technology across to other markets.

Woz: 'No thanks, Steve. I'll wait like everyone else.'

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak doesn't have to wait in line for one of the company's first mobile handsets, but he's doing so anyway out in San Jose. Althogh Woz is due to receive a complimentary iPhone from Steve Jobs on Saturday, he has a few other reasons to stay the wait.

Woz wants one immediately -- plus some for his three children -- and is standing in an hours-long line for the first time since 1972, when he coveted Rolling Stones concert tickets.

He and his friends are handing out T-shirts that read, "The Line Begins Here." Woz is also reported to have brought along his Segway Human Transporter for bathroom runs.

Fox News reporter gets mic jacked in NY

Back in New York, things have got a little rowdy. Watch as a crazed iPhone fan blows up an interview between Fox News reporter Laura Ingle and Newsweek's Steve Levy when he abruptly jumps in and grabs the mic. Mid-day photos from the Apple's Fifth Ave. store also follow:



Photos compliments of www.cheechandchong.com





Photos compliments of www.cheechandchong.com
post #2 of 42
Who doesn't love the Woz! I would have paid to have been there for Fox News getting jacked as they deserve it!
post #3 of 42
Not really clear if the guy meant to steal the iPhone instead, or if he didn't like FoxNews?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Photos compliments of www.cheechandchong.com



WTF???

Is everyone out at Apple stores right now, place seems kind of dead... and high.
post #5 of 42
Wow. What a fatfest. Blimps in line, blimps using Segways to hit the can. Maybe Apple should mix in a few treadmills into the line.
post #6 of 42
Yeah, the iPhone was 2 inches away. That's what he was going for.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #7 of 42
I'm glad the lady reporter is ok, but overall... F*** Fox 'News':




.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #8 of 42
Woz could have received an iPhone the day after the launch while so many others recieved them weeks ago. IMO, Jobs was being a dick to Woz so Woz said "screw up, I'll wait in line."
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

Wow. What a fatfest. Blimps in line, blimps using Segways to hit the can. Maybe Apple should mix in a few treadmills into the line.

Mr. Prizebook.com in one of the pics looks like he could hit the treadmill too. Maybe he should lay off the iDoughnuts!!
post #10 of 42
I dunno. I could do a lot more damage with a Fox News microphone than an iPhone, at least in the short term. And the contract would be shorter.
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

...but overall... F*** Fox 'News':

DITTO!
post #12 of 42
he wasn't going for the ipod because you can cleary hear him say "give me that f*kin mic"

but for wha? was he the guy that made the comment about buying the iphone for a 1000 bucks? maybe he was pissy that she looked at him and made a snickery reply "we'll prob need security"
post #13 of 42
I'm not sure Woz will have to pay for his anyway... I've heard that he pops into the stores periodically but that Steve Jobs has instructed employees that even if Woz insists, he is not to be charged for any purchases.
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I'm not sure Woz will have to pay for his anyway... I've heard that he pops into the stores periodically but that Steve Jobs has instructed employees that even if Woz insists, he is not to be charged for any purchases.

Woz is the coolest walking advertisement for Apple throughout all Apple's history. I do think that Woz should have had an iPhone a month ago. Steve is just jealous that Woz is super cool!
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Woz could have received an iPhone the day after the launch while so many others recieved them weeks ago. IMO, Jobs was being a dick to Woz so Woz said "screw it, I'll wait in line."

Woz and Jobs have been on the outs for awhile though.

Apparently it came out, years after the fact, that when Woz and Jobs were starving up-and-comers, Jobs screwed Woz out of some money. Woz apparently was pretty irate, not over the money but over the principle of the thing, and retold the story to an interviewer or someone. Which infuriated Jobs apparently, who refused to be photographed on a Macworld stage with Woz in late '90s.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but given their respective personalities (Woz = idealist, Jobs = salesman/relentless corporate competitor), I'd imagine Jobs was likely morally in the wrong.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Woz and Jobs have been on the outs for awhile though.

Apparently it came out, years after the fact, that when Woz and Jobs were starving up-and-comers, Jobs screwed Woz out of some money. Woz apparently was pretty irate, not over the money but over the principle of the thing, and retold the story to an interviewer or someone. Which infuriated Jobs apparently, who refused to be photographed on a Macworld stage with Woz in late '90s.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but given their respective personalities (Woz = idealist, Jobs = salesman/relentless corporate competitor), I'd imagine Jobs was likely morally in the wrong.

I completely agree! If I had a choice of having Woz or Steve as a neighbor I'd choose Woz in a heartbeat. Steve would always throwing crap into my yard, cutting me off at the street, and never changing his wardrobe. Woz would be over barbecues, and the likealways welcomed!
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Woz and Jobs have been on the outs for awhile though.

Apparently it came out, years after the fact, that when Woz and Jobs were starving up-and-comers, Jobs screwed Woz out of some money. Woz apparently was pretty irate, not over the money but over the principle of the thing, and retold the story to an interviewer or someone. Which infuriated Jobs apparently, who refused to be photographed on a Macworld stage with Woz in late '90s.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but given their respective personalities (Woz = idealist, Jobs = salesman/relentless corporate competitor), I'd imagine Jobs was likely morally in the wrong.

.

I think this issue came out when "Pirates of Silicon Valley" was released. Jobs got paid $5,000 selling the game Breakout to Atari and told Woz he got nothing. I remember watching an interview where Woz was talking about this and the fact he was upset because Jobs lied to him.
post #18 of 42
Surprised now one has made a comment about iPhone integration in the new BMW's.

I was doing my daily reading of www.e46fanatics.com when I came across the new coupe that will be released in the U.S. The 135i looks sweet and will have both iPod and iPhone integration. Maybe BMW will let them work on iDrive!
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Reply
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Reply
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I completely agree! If I had a choice of having Woz or Steve as a neighbor I'd choose Woz in a heartbeat. Steve would always throwing crap into my yard, cutting me off at the street, and never changing his wardrobe. Woz would be over barbecues, and the like—always welcomed!

Yeah, definitely. But to be fair, different personalities are good at different things.

Woz is the guy you'd want to hang out with, hands-down. But Jobs is prolly the only person on the planet who could've saved Apple... and he did. Credit where credit is due. Sometimes 'it takes an a-hole'.

And even Jobs at his most obnoxious is a waaay better than that mouth-breather Ballmer.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #20 of 42
He was obvously going for the iPhone. The iPhone could fetch alot of money before they go on sale. He was not trying to silence the media like new reporters said.
post #21 of 42
I just drove by--at 2pm Central time, there were about 20 people lined up outside the at&t store in Evanston, Illinois (the home of Northwestern University, just across the border from Chicago).

My first thought was, "Hmm, isn't the store surely gonna have 20 iPhones?"

(I love the iPhone--I just hate Crapular/Stinkular/SBC/"The New at&t" )
post #22 of 42
Conspiracy theories ahead...
We've just had that rumor that Mercedes was going to have Apple GPS computer or whatver. And now BMW announce they want to be the first to have the newest coolest integrated. It sounds like Apple intentionally throwing in the rumor about Mercedes to unsettle BMW so now they're going to Apple themselves (instead of the other way around) and beg to have an exclusive deal on that non-existent GPS computer.
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

...mouth-breather Ballmer.

Ballmer who?

I do not believe for one minute that Steve Jobs is the sole reason that Apple made it. There are many employees at Applethroughout the yearswho have made significant contributions...without them Apple would have never survived or thrived. YEAH Apple employees!!!
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

I think this issue came out when "Pirates of Silicon Valley" was released. Jobs got paid $5,000 selling the game Breakout to Atari and told Woz he got nothing. I remember watching an interview where Woz was talking about this and the fact he was upset because Jobs lied to him.

Jobs paid Woz, he just lied about how much he made. I think it's explained in the book iWoz.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

True dat. It was a group effort. But Jobs was key.

.

Can't forget Gil Amelio either.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I do not believe for one minute that Steve Jobs is the sole reason that Apple made it. There are many employees at Applethroughout the yearswho have made significant contributions...without them Apple would have never survived or thrived. YEAH Apple employees!!!

True dat. It was a group effort. But Jobs was key.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I do not believe for one minute that Steve Jobs is the sole reason that Apple made it. There are many employees at Apple—throughout the years—who have made significant contributions...without them Apple would have never survived or thrived. YEAH Apple employees!!!

Steve Jobs agrees with you, as he mentions quite frequently the contribution that all Apple employees make to it's success. But there is no doubt that without SJ at the helm Apple would've been sunk by 2000. You need to have a leader directing the company. Apple had many of them, and many of them were poor leaders - not necessarily in general poor leaders - but poor leaders for Apple. Apple was not a company trying to compete against the Dell's of the world - they weren't about pushing boxes - they were about making great products and most of Apple's former presidents were trying to put the company into the league's of Dell. When Steve came back he simplified the company and directed Apple back to where it needed to focus on - making great products and not getting swept up in trying to compete against the "disposable" computer market.

As for what type of guy SJ is, or Woz is I'm sure they're both nice guys, I don't like how everyone seems to get on the "Steve Jobs is an a-hole" bandwagon. I like to reserve judgement for actual experience.

As for Job's screwing over Woz, I thought it was over that challenge that Atari (or somebody) had. They had a contest that would pay a certain amount of money for each chip that could be reduced on a floppy drive. Woz got the chips down to 5 (from 50 I think)... and Steve got the money and "split" it with Woz. Steve apparently never told Woz how much the contest actually paid with was something on the order of $5000... so yeah Steve was an a-hole there.\ But I always got the impression that their relationship was good now?
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

As for what type of guy SJ is, or Woz is I'm sure they're both nice guys, I don't like how everyone seems to get on the "Steve Jobs is an a-hole" bandwagon. I like to reserve judgement for actual experience.

Uhh... no. Jobs is infamous for yelling at and/or humiliating employees, though reports are he's mellowed some in recent years.

And apparently 'a**-hole' is a nickname for Jobs oft-used among his friends, and Jobs allegedly refers to himself as such also. At least he's aware of it.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

As for Job's screwing over Woz, I thought it was over that challenge that Atari (or somebody) had. They had a contest that would pay a certain amount of money for each chip that could be reduced on a floppy drive. Woz got the chips down to 5 (from 50 I think)... and Steve got the money and "split" it with Woz. Steve apparently never told Woz how much the contest actually paid with was something on the order of $5000... so yeah Steve was an a-hole there.\ But I always got the impression that their relationship was good now?

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakout

------
They had an idea to turn PONG into a single player game, where the player would use a ball to deplete a wall of bricks without missing the ball on its rebound. Bushnell was certain the game would be popular, and the two partnered to produce a concept. Al Alcorn was assigned as the project manager, and began development with Cyan Engineering in 1975. The same year, Alcorn assigned Steve Jobs to design a prototype. Jobs was offered $750 USD, with an extra $100 each time a chip was eliminated from the prospected design. Jobs promised to complete a prototype within four days.

Jobs noticed his friend Steve Wozniakemployee of Hewlett-Packardwas capable of producing designs with a small amount of chips, and invited him to work on the hardware design with the prospect of splitting the $750 wage. Wozniak had no sketches and instead interpreted the game from its description. To save parts, he had "tricky little designs" difficult to understand for most engineers. Near the end of development, Wozniak considered moving the high score to the screen's top, but Jobs claimed Bushnell wanted it at the bottom; Wozniak unaware of any truth to his claims. The original deadline was met, and 50 chips were removed from Jobs' original design. This equated to a $5000 USD bonus, which Jobs kept secret from Wozniak, instead only paying him $375.

Atari was unable to use Steve Wozniak's design. By designing the board with as few chips as possible, he also cut down the amount of TTL (transistor-transistor logic) chips to 42. This made the design difficult to manufacture it was too compact and complicated to be feasible with Atari's manufacturing methods. However, Wozniak claims Atari could not understand the design, and speculates "maybe some engineer there was trying to make some kind of modification to it". Atari ended up designing their own version for production, which contained about 100 TTL chips. Wozniak found the gameplay to be the same as his original creation, and couldn't find any differences.

------
I don't have my copy of iWoz handy but that seems close to the situation.. I don't remember if he mentions in the book whether or not they used his design in the end.
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Woz and Jobs have been on the outs for awhile though.

Apparently it came out, years after the fact, that when Woz and Jobs were starving up-and-comers, Jobs screwed Woz out of some money. Woz apparently was pretty irate, not over the money but over the principle of the thing, and retold the story to an interviewer or someone. Which infuriated Jobs apparently, who refused to be photographed on a Macworld stage with Woz in late '90s.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but given their respective personalities (Woz = idealist, Jobs = salesman/relentless corporate competitor), I'd imagine Jobs was likely morally in the wrong.

.

Yup... It's all in Apple Confidential
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

Can't forget Gil Amelio either.

Shivers just ran down my back....
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

True dat. It was a group effort. But Jobs was key.

.

Totally true dat!!!1!
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

B

Woz: 'No thanks, Steve. I'll wait like everyone else.'

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak doesn't have to wait in line for one of the company's first mobile handsets, but he's doing so anyway out in San Jose. Althogh Woz is due to receive a complimentary iPhone from Steve Jobs on Saturday, he has a few other reasons to stay the wait.

Woz wants one immediately -- plus some for his three children -- and is standing in an hours-long line for the first time since 1972, when he coveted Rolling Stones concert tickets.

I've been on various Mac topic mailing lists for many, many years, and occasionally Woz would be a subscriber to that list. You won't find the other Steve interacting with us commoners!
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Totally true dat!!!1!

Maybe you're being sarcastic, maybe not... either way, don't care:




.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I'm glad the lady reporter is ok, but overall... F*** Fox 'News':

Too bad it wasn't CNN where they PAY the 'enemy' to deliver "the most trusted name in new" - BULL SH*T

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post

Atari was unable to use Steve Wozniak's design. By designing the board with as few chips as possible, he also cut down the amount of TTL (transistor-transistor logic) chips to 42. This made the design difficult to manufacture it was too compact and complicated to be feasible with Atari's manufacturing methods. However, Wozniak claims Atari could not understand the design, and speculates "maybe some engineer there was trying to make some kind of modification to it". Atari ended up designing their own version for production, which contained about 100 TTL chips. Wozniak found the gameplay to be the same as his original creation, and couldn't find any differences.

Woz seems like a frickin' genious - and yet he's so.... normal (compared to other intelligent people who have no "people skills")
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Too bad it wasn't CNN where they PAY the 'enemy' to deliver "the most trusted name in new" - BULL SH*T

I'm surprised you're able to turn on your own computer.

TRUE DAT!!!!11!!
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

TRUE DAT!!!!11!!

You should make that part of your sig.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #39 of 42
He doesn't have to, he posts here.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #40 of 42
Deleted
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › BMW iPhone integration; Woz in line; Fox News mic jacking