or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Problems activating iPhone... Anyone else having problems?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Problems activating iPhone... Anyone else having problems?

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
I bought a phone and my buddy bought a phone. We came back to my house and my phone activated fine and his did not. His phone just wants to mount like it is an iPod under devices tab but with iPhone icon.

Anyone else having problems. Been on support with Apple for over 2 hours but no luck yet with his. He is surfing the web right now via wi-fi but we are bummed out over this.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #2 of 47
Haven't unboxed mine yet. (Being nice and waiting for my SO to get home.) Will report in later tonight.

Have a great story about picking it up at the SF Apple store.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #3 of 47
Mine won't activate either. It says that it requires additional time to complete, but I can't even do anything with mine, even though the FAQs say that I should be able to use all of the other functions (iPod etc). Can't even surf. It's locked out.
post #4 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xool View Post

Haven't unboxed mine yet. (Being nice and waiting for my SO to get home.) Will report in later tonight.

Have a great story about picking it up at the SF Apple store.

Be happy to read it.

So far, I don't think you can set purchased iTunes songs as ringtones and no typed search contact option.

Still on hold...
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #5 of 47
How is your friends credit rating?
post #6 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

How is your friends credit rating?

In the 700's and they accepted his credit card at the store.

We can't get the Activation Screen to come up in iTunes. Not come up at all like it did for my phone.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #7 of 47
If any AT&T or Apple Stores are open, i'd suggest taking it there and getting them to do it instead of waiting on the phone for 2 hours.

Looks like users with verizon are having problems as well. Is he trying to transfer from another service?
post #8 of 47
My account activation took about 2 hours before AT&T emailed me and said all clear. However, the actual syncing of the phone and SIM to the AT&T network is still pending, I'm sure they are getting hammered. So at least now I can play with everything EXCEPT for the phone service, hopefully overnight it will get resolved.
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretvampire View Post

My account activation took about 2 hours before AT&T emailed me and said all clear. However, the actual syncing of the phone and SIM to the AT&T network is still pending, I'm sure they are getting hammered. So at least now I can play with everything EXCEPT for the phone service, hopefully overnight it will get resolved.

Yes I'm guessing that's one of the downsides of being on the West Coast. I picked it up at an AT&T store and they said that their network was slow from all the traffic. It took a long time to get through a line of <100 ppl (and they had 13 registers open).
post #10 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

If any AT&T or Apple Stores are open, i'd suggest taking it there and getting them to do it instead of waiting on the phone for 2 hours.

Looks like users with verizon are having problems as well. Is he trying to transfer from another service?

I am going to run it to the store for him tomorrow. He is so bummed. He doesn't own a computer and this was his first Apple purchase. You just have to know this guy. I feel for him. Especially after forking out that $$$ on a phone that works great on my wi-fi here at home but can't place a call because we can't get iTunes to activate the dang thing.

Tomorrow, I go to AT&T and get this resolved, I hope. He lives about 1.5 hours away from the store and I am only 30 minutes so I will be a good bud for him.

And the fact that Apple told me to call back at 9 am in the morning ET because they are having these issues so much, people are in que for a "Genius" for over 2 hours after the initial tech goes through their paces with you.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

He doesn't own a computer and this was his first Apple purchase.

Can you use the iPhone without a computer?
post #12 of 47
Huh wait... did you and he try to authorize both phones through the same account on the same computer?

Will it let you do that?
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #13 of 47
Thread Starter 
different accounts and different macs. He used my mac bookpro but apple support says itdoesnt matter about that because activation is independent of iTunes accounts.

you must activate your phone through iTunes as of today but AT&T said they would do it tomorrow.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromos View Post

Mine won't activate either. It says that it requires additional time to complete, but I can't even do anything with mine, even though the FAQs say that I should be able to use all of the other functions (iPod etc). Can't even surf. It's locked out.

I'm in the same boat... just sitting around waiting.

Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel. Slide. Cancel.

That's all I can do.


(Side note: Kevin Smith was in line behind me at the Apple Store at The Grove, LA - and they had plenty of iPhones to go around)
post #15 of 47
It took me 2 minutes. I've read about hits and misses all night.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #16 of 47
If I would have gotten mine to day I would have just waited till tomorrow to attempt activating it. I knew it would be like this, but im sure at&t will have most erros fixxed by tomorrow. I mean there are over 35,000 trying to use the damn thing at one time.
post #17 of 47
No problem activating for me. Replaced my existing Cingular phone (Moto v551). iPhone activated in minutes and is syncing as I write this. Can't wait to pop it out of its dock.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

different accounts and different macs. He used my mac bookpro but apple support says itdoesnt matter about that because activation is independent of iTunes accounts.

Everything that I've read explicitly stated that you need an iTunes ID & account to activate the phone. You therefore need to sign into your iTunes account before the phone can be activated. I assume that when you say that you used different accounts you meant different iTunes accounts, in which case, this is not applicable.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiph...ion_small.html

Hope this helps.
post #19 of 47
Mine took just about over 2 hours to finish its activation. That aside...holly crap is this the most AMAZING DEVICE I HAVE EVER LAID MY EYES ON. Your jaw will be on the floor as you do the most simple things. Windows move in ways that you expect fluid to move it. Its FAST!! Everything acts like its pre-rendered out of a James Bond movie. You have to see it to believe it. I have been reading everything iPhone I can for months but nothing compares to using one first hand. Just wow...all I can say is WOW!!!!
post #20 of 47
6 hours still waiting for email... thoroughly pissed.
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post

6 hours still waiting for email... thoroughly pissed.

I don't get why peolple are mad. Not to belittle you, but what did you expect, buying and activating the thing at the same time as a half miillion other people.

Did you ever try and get through to a radio statoin when they're doing a call-in contest? Or call into a popular talk radio show when the guest or topic is particularly hot?

UInless Apple could have made plans to get more bandwidth for the next few days. But I have no idea how that works.
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

I don't get why peolple are mad. Not to belittle you, but what did you expect, buying and activating the thing at the same time as a half miillion other people.

Did you ever try and get through to a radio statoin when they're doing a call-in contest? Or call into a popular talk radio show when the guest or topic is particularly hot?

UInless Apple could have made plans to get more bandwidth for the next few days. But I have no idea how that works.

It's frustrating when you read that some people got instant access, but others are having to wait longer (12+ hours, now). And that doesn't include the time we waited in line.

In addition, we can't do anything about it - start over, cancel the setup, or anything.
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-thinker View Post

It's frustrating when you read that some people got instant access, but others are having to wait longer (12+ hours, now). And that doesn't include the time we waited in line.

In addition, we can't do anything about it - start over, cancel the setup, or anything.

Damn that sucks. Mine went right through. Central time, but I heard from my buddy that his wasn't going through hours after I had already done mine.

He told me that their activation center crashed when it hit the west coast time.......who knows.

Sorry for everyone's troubles.
post #24 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

I don't get why peolple are mad. Not to belittle you, but what did you expect, buying and activating the thing at the same time as a half miillion other people.

Did you ever try and get through to a radio statoin when they're doing a call-in contest? Or call into a popular talk radio show when the guest or topic is particularly hot?

UInless Apple could have made plans to get more bandwidth for the next few days. But I have no idea how that works.

it wasnt like ATT didn't know this was coming. Mine worked great but my friends minutes before and hours afterwards never worked. We went to the art store thinking that they could activate the phone for calling in the store like every other phone and servo e they offer. I called the store and they were a able to change my number instantly. ITunes gave me a wrong area code...
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticz View Post

If I would have gotten mine to day I would have just waited till tomorrow to attempt activating it. I knew it would be like this, but im sure at&t will have most erros fixxed by tomorrow. I mean there are over 200,000 trying to use the damn thing at one time.

Fixed.
post #26 of 47
10 hours and still awaiting email confirming activation. <sigh>

I was surprised that it recognized the fact that I was getting an employee discount and told me that I would no longer be getting that. Maybe that is reason for the delay.
post #27 of 47
For owners who wish to transfer phone numbers from other carriers, there is a big slowdown. Those carriers have no reason to expedite the process. But many ATT customers who wish to keep their old numbers are also having troubles. Check out the Apple Support forum.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....16349&tstart=0

Also Apple let some wrong information out: both in the pdf user guide and printed version. It says you can use the phone's other features while waiting for activation. But can't, other than make an emergency call.
post #28 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob View Post

For owners who wish to transfer phone numbers from other carriers, there is a big slowdown. Those carriers have no reason to expedite the process. But many ATT customers who wish to keep their old numbers are also having troubles. Check out the Apple Support forum.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....16349&tstart=0

Also Apple let some wrong information out: both in the pdf user guide and printed version. It says you can use the phone's other features while waiting for activation. But can't, other than make an emergency call.

That last part is not true. I have two iPhones. One is activated and the other is not. The unactivated phone can cruise YouTube, the web, wi-fi network, listen to songs, watch video's and send and receive email. But I can't make calls. It was a new activation so we didn't transfer a number.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

That last part is not true. I have two iPhones. One is activated and the other is not. The unactivated phone can cruise YouTube, the web, wi-fi network, listen to songs, watch video's and send and receive email. But I can't make calls. It was a new activation so we didn't transfer a number.

Uh, I don't know how you're doing that. I've been waiting for my confirmation email for 13 hours now and every time I turn on the iPhone, it just says "Activate iPhone connect to iTunes". I can't do anything with this.
post #30 of 47
Thread Starter 
The apple discussion boards are saying faulty sim cards. Some people are using pay as u go cards fine. Lots of screwy stuff going on right now. On my way to ATT right now.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #31 of 47
I activated three phones on one single iTunes account with no problem last night. The first two went thru with no delay at all the the third took about 10 minutes. I got the message that said activation was delayed and I would get an email when it was completed and then ten minutes later I was done. All three of these phones were existing AT&T numbers.
post #32 of 47
Thread Starter 
just left the store and they allegedly swapped cards. I don't really it buy it but when I get back I'll know.

Also the store sold out lastnigjt by 10pm and apples website said they had phones.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #33 of 47
Just to add my experience for background.

I'ts been 15 hours now since I got the dreaded "Your activation requires additional time to complete". I was getting very frustrated so I finally called ATT. Turns out this is neither ATT's nor Apple's fault. It's T-Mobile. I have a business account on which I was previously NOT the authorized users. My company called 10 DAYS AGO to add my name as an authorized user. I call T-Mobile and found out that T-Mobile never completed the paperwork!!!! So my authorization has been held up by T-Mobile in the port of the number to ATT.

Just some background for others feeling the frustration.
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Can you use the iPhone without a computer?

Geez, there's an inadvisable purchase. He will have only a fraction of the iPhone's functionality.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Just to add my experience for background.

I'ts been 15 hours now since I got the dreaded "Your activation requires additional time to complete". I was getting very frustrated so I finally called ATT. Turns out this is neither ATT's nor Apple's fault. It's T-Mobile. I have a business account on which I was previously NOT the authorized users. My company called 10 DAYS AGO to add my name as an authorized user. I call T-Mobile and found out that T-Mobile never completed the paperwork!!!! So my authorization has been held up by T-Mobile in the port of the number to ATT.

Just some background for others feeling the frustration.

It's interesting how the success of the iPhone's launch is influenced partially by their competitors...
post #36 of 47
Has anyone tried activating an iPhone for an existing line on an existing ATT/Cingular family plan?
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It's interesting how the success of the iPhone's launch is influenced partially by their competitors...

Yep, that's my thought as well.
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by okdale81 View Post

Has anyone tried activating an iPhone for an existing line on an existing ATT/Cingular family plan?

Yes, me. Although not a family plan. I've been with AT&T for 5 or 6 years now and I'm on hour 15 waiting for activation. I too spoke to an Apple and AT&T rep and they both said that it is due to the enormous backlog AT&T is processing.

So you Verizon and T-Mobile folks, don't despair. We long time AT&T customers are going through the same thing.
post #39 of 47
I purchased my iPhone from an AT&T store, and on the printed receipt was a Pre-Approved Credit Number, and I was instructed to enter this number during the activation process. I did so, but I kept getting error messages saying the number wasn't recognized.

I first tried calling AT&T, but then decided to try activating my iPhone without the number, and the activation was successful.
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yes, me. Although not a family plan. I've been with AT&T for 5 or 6 years now and I'm on hour 15 waiting for activation. I too spoke to an Apple and AT&T rep and they both said that it is due to the enormous backlog AT&T is processing.

So you Verizon and T-Mobile folks, don't despair. We long time AT&T customers are going through the same thing.

Same experience here.

FYI...

Activation woes hit YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeOoaypmOA

Funny if this can be seen on an iPhone in an Apple store. This *cannot* be good P.R. once this stuff hits the news.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Problems activating iPhone... Anyone else having problems?