or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone SIM card swap, anyone try a different carrier?

iPhone SIM card swap, anyone try a different carrier?

post #1 of 11
To great surprise you CAN change the SIM card.

Has anyone tried using a T-Mobile or other foreign GSM provider SIM card in the iPhone?

I'm in NYC by coincidence and if I can use it with my French SIM card, I'll pick one up.. or at least try
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO View Post

To great surprise you CAN change the SIM card.

This was no surprise... it was only a surprise to the delusional posters who though it either didn't have a sim slot (even after Steve Jobs said it did) **or** the similarly delusional posters who thought the Apple sim slot was different from 'NORMAL' sim slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO View Post

Has anyone tried using a T-Mobile or other foreign GSM provider SIM card in the iPhone?

Its been tried and also no great surprise... it will not work... the iPhone is locked to AT&T - just as Apple indicated... AT&T exclusive means AT&T EXCLUSIVE...

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #3 of 11
Has anyone tried using non phone features without any SIM card installed?
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Has anyone tried using non phone features without any SIM card installed?

The phone displays an ERROR SCREEN when a non-AT&T activated sim is installed and you're STUCK with that... Until you put back a valid SIM.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

The phone displays an ERROR SCREEN when a non-AT&T activated sim is installed and you're STUCK with that... Until you put back a valid SIM.

That is one of my major problems with this device.

If two years from now I decide to get a new iPhone... I would like my old one to still be usable for applications, music, video, and web surfing on Wi-Fi without needing a sim card or it activated for an account.

This is like if Apple made a computer that would only run if you had an AOL account and were signed on the whole time.

Hopefully someone will find a work around or hack for this problem.

Otherwise, there are going to be a bunch of completely useless iPhones around once Apple starts releasing new versions.
post #6 of 11
Apple is playing the cell phone game: Frustrate the hell out of the user and force them into spending money before they can do anything.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

That is one of my major problems with this device.

If two years from now I decide to get a new iPhone... I would like my old one to still be usable for applications, music, video, and web surfing on Wi-Fi without needing a sim card or it activated for an account.

This is like if Apple made a computer that would only run if you had an AOL account and were signed on the whole time.

Hopefully someone will find a work around or hack for this problem.

Otherwise, there are going to be a bunch of completely useless iPhones around once Apple starts releasing new versions.

I pulled the SIM out of my iPhone and most of the functions still worked. Coverflow and auto-rotate didn't work, but WiFi did.
post #8 of 11
Isn't it reasonable to expect an eventual solution for disabling the "phone" button without losing the other three ?
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

I pulled the SIM out of my iPhone and most of the functions still worked. Coverflow and auto-rotate didn't work, but WiFi did.

Huh, those are odd function not to work without the SIM card.
post #10 of 11
Normally cell phones have 2 prices, one if you're buying it with new service and a second sustantially higher price if you already have service. What's the policy with the I phone?

Also, cell phone co's will usually unlock phones. Is this phone not being unlocked? Then I assume it's not for usuage in foreign countries, except via roaming--which is exhorbatantly expensive. Kind of undercuts the reasoning for using a SIM-based provider, doesn't it?

If Apple is playing the proprietary game than I think they may have problems down the road, as they create dissatisfaction amongst their customers. Didn't they learn that lesson with the Mac?
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Huh, those are odd function not to work without the SIM card.

I thought so too. Auto-rotate related functionality seems a little glitchy / slow to react to changes as it is.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone SIM card swap, anyone try a different carrier?