or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iphone: wifi isnt working but is connected
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iphone: wifi isnt working but is connected

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
so my wifi still isnt working, it says its connected (i have verizon fios with the BIG router they gave us built by Actiontec), instead all i see is the AT&T bars with the E for edge, but the airport symbol isnt there, and its definitly running on edge cause its slower than it would be on wifi

how do i get the wifi to over ride the edge system..someone please help haha i wanna get this figured out
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

so my wifi still isnt working, it says its connected (i have verizon fios with the BIG router they gave us built by Actiontec), instead all i see is the AT&T bars with the E for edge, but the airport symbol isnt there, and its definitly running on edge cause its slower than it would be on wifi

how do i get the wifi to over ride the edge system..someone please help haha i wanna get this figured out

I have exactly the same problem. Wi-F is connected and enabled, WEP password has been accepted but all browsing is taking place via Edge.

On occassion, I see the Wi-Fi Airport signal strength indicator on the the top left side, and its full strenght, but as soon as I begin to browse, the "E" appears and I am browsing on Edge.

I turned Airport mode on/off and also turning phone off.

It still doesn't work!!
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
ya and i just was looking at the wifi info when u go to the wifi settings and hit the blue arrow next to it, nothing is filled out besides ip address and subnet mask =/
post #4 of 10
Not sure if this helps but I have mine connected and working beautifully over a new airport extreme base station. Maybe the trouble is the router? Any info I can give you from my phone that would help?
post #5 of 10
I had the same problem when I first setup my iPhone on Friday. It looked like it was connected, but it actually wasn't showing a valid IP address. First, check the settings on your iPhone (Go to Settings/Wifi/then click the arrow for your network to see that you are getting a real IP address--192.168...etc...).

The problem with my setup was that the password on my router was a hexadecimal password. I didn't realize this because when I connect with my mac, I don't have to specify that it is hexadecimal. I clicked the Forget this Network button, and then rejoined the network, this time choosing WEP Hexadecimal as the option.

Let me know if this works for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

I have exactly the same problem. Wi-F is connected and enabled, WEP password has been accepted but all browsing is taking place via Edge.

On occassion, I see the Wi-Fi Airport signal strength indicator on the the top left side, and its full strenght, but as soon as I begin to browse, the "E" appears and I am browsing on Edge.

I turned Airport mode on/off and also turning phone off.

It still doesn't work!!
post #6 of 10
unprotect your network for a few minutes and see what happens.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn138 View Post

I had the same problem when I first setup my iPhone on Friday. It looked like it was connected, but it actually wasn't showing a valid IP address. First, check the settings on your iPhone (Go to Settings/Wifi/then click the arrow for your network to see that you are getting a real IP address--192.168...etc...).

The problem with my setup was that the password on my router was a hexadecimal password. I didn't realize this because when I connect with my mac, I don't have to specify that it is hexadecimal. I clicked the Forget this Network button, and then rejoined the network, this time choosing WEP Hexadecimal as the option.

Let me know if this works for you guys.

mjn138.. brilliant!!

Thank you! Your advice worked first time. Greatly appreciated.

My error.

FWIW, Edge in New York (upper west side) wasn't that good. After all the stories I have read of users disatisfaction with AT&T network, I was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps, it was one of the cities where the netork was upgraded in recent days.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
i cant unprotect it..its a verizon fios router it always has a password to connect to =/...it needs one or it wont refresh
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
for anyone wondering..the problem was solved

i guess verizon fios routers passwords are run off WEP HEX or ASCII password not just "WEP password"...so make sure you choose that when logging in with your iphone
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn138 View Post

I had the same problem when I first setup my iPhone on Friday. It looked like it was connected, but it actually wasn't showing a valid IP address. First, check the settings on your iPhone (Go to Settings/Wifi/then click the arrow for your network to see that you are getting a real IP address--192.168...etc...).

The problem with my setup was that the password on my router was a hexadecimal password. I didn't realize this because when I connect with my mac, I don't have to specify that it is hexadecimal. I clicked the Forget this Network button, and then rejoined the network, this time choosing WEP Hexadecimal as the option.

Let me know if this works for you guys.

Thank you! This worked! This was such a frustrating problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iphone: wifi isnt working but is connected