or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › 10.4 on PowerPC G4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

10.4 on PowerPC G4

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Is it possible to install OS 10.4 on a PowerPC G4 Mac? I tried to do it the other day and got an error message telling me that it could not be installed on this Mac.

Do I have some kind of conflict or is this literally impossible?
post #2 of 7
I'm running 10.4 on my G4 like hundreds of thousands of people, I suppose. What kind of Mac do you have?
post #3 of 7
It's perfectly possible to install 10.4 on a G4. Just make sure you've got (i) a DVD drive for installing OS X, and (ii) the original retail OS X Tiger installation DVD. You can't take the installation disk from an iMac, for example, it must be the "normal" retail DVD, because all the other installation disks are made for a specific Mac model.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

It's perfectly possible to install 10.4 on a G4. Just make sure you've got (i) a DVD drive for installing OS X, and (ii) the original retail OS X Tiger installation DVD. You can't take the installation disk from an iMac, for example, it must be the "normal" retail DVD, because all the other installation disks are made for a specific Mac model.

Also you naturally can't install version that is intended for Intel either.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

Also you naturally can't install version that is intended for Intel either.

Correct, but as there is no Intel version of OS X Tiger (non-Server) sold at all (every new MacIntel system comes with their own special "Intel-DVD"), this problem is virtually inexistent
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

Correct, but as there is no Intel version of OS X Tiger (non-Server) sold at all (every new MacIntel system comes with their own special "Intel-DVD"), this problem is virtually inexistent

Yet there are many copies of them floating in the BitTorrent networks, and by the way not calling anyone pirate, just sayn'
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

Yet there are many copies of them floating in the BitTorrent networks, and by the way not calling anyone pirate, just sayn'

Thanks for the feedback. As I suspected, I need original system disks to install 10.4.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › 10.4 on PowerPC G4