or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Is Everyone at MSNBC This Dumb?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Everyone at MSNBC This Dumb?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19614050

OMG! It broke! And he had to wait for a call! from Apple service! Perhaps it says something that Apple had to investigate the issue....as in "this never happens."

I mean really...shit breaks. It's an electronic device. I will say that ATT's policy is is bullshit. If they sold it to him, it should have been replaced...no restocking fee and no questions asked.

But the Drudge headline was "IPhone breaks in only four days." Nice. Fucking Matt Drudge.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #2 of 28
That's ok. According to one report, one million iPhone shave been activated since launch. The critic's complaints are going fall on deaf ears as one million salesmen show their friends their cool new device.
post #3 of 28
Re:
I mean really...shit breaks. It's an electronic device.
......

If the kind of issues that have been reported on MSNBC and in the AppleInsider forums turn out to be a trend, it's pure disaster, for Apple, and Steve Jobs.

There's no excuse for Apple putting out a defective product, especially one that so many people depend on so heavily. We can live without our iPods, but no one I know can afford to plunk down major bucks for a product that stops functioning within 4 days of purchase, or doesn't properly receive phone calls.

As a huge fan of Apple products and an early adopter, this is a major disappointment, especially since I planned to get one soon. But even worse is what this could do to the reputation of Apple. While more profits and higher stock prices mean more money for R&D, and even better products down the road, a bad rep means lower stock prices and even the end of the Apple ascendency in the tech world.
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

Re:
I
As a huge fan of Apple products and an early adopter, this is a major disappointment,

That one iPhone was defective and immediately replaced? If so, you're in for a life of disappointment. I feel sorry for you.
post #5 of 28
Apple's stock price has no affect on how much cash Apple has on hand. A lower stock price does not mean lower R&D dollars, as the stock on the market has already been sold by Apple to the public. The changing stock price doesn't add to / withdraw from Apple's bank account.

As for the super-hot report? I've had my iPhone since Saturday and have been using just about every function since I bought it. Believe it or not, the phone function gets used the least. I believe I've had 4 calls since Saturday. Anyway, the phone doesn't get past mildly warm, so the MSNBC must've gotten a defective unit. Even, the MSNBC reporter notes their new unit is much cooler than the defective one they were using.
post #6 of 28
Don't forget it's Microsoft->NBC. Those guy's were spreading so much disinformation the day the iPhone was released it wasn't even funny. We were sitting outside the door at the Apple store using their WiFi connection to read iPhone news, and when it came to MSNBC it was just tons of ridiculous false statements about the phone. It is totally pathetic to print erroneous disinformation rumors that stem from jealousy. Grow up Microsoft!
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #7 of 28
MS has their own hardware issues to concentrate on resolving.
post #8 of 28
BTM,

You beat me to it.

The Microsoft/NBC network should do specials on these stories:

UK repairers can't cope with Xbox 360 failure.The failure rate on Microsoft's games console is now so great that UK service centres won't take the device.....

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle2031171.ece

Microsoft Corp. on Thursday extended the warranty on its Xbox 360 to three years after too many of the video game consoles have succumbed to "general hardware failure.....

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine..._Warranty.html
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

Re:
I mean really...shit breaks. It's an electronic device.
......

If the kind of issues that have been reported on MSNBC and in the AppleInsider forums turn out to be a trend, it's pure disaster, for Apple, and Steve Jobs.

There's no excuse for Apple putting out a defective product, especially one that so many people depend on so heavily. We can live without our iPods, but no one I know can afford to plunk down major bucks for a product that stops functioning within 4 days of purchase, or doesn't properly receive phone calls.

As a huge fan of Apple products and an early adopter, this is a major disappointment, especially since I planned to get one soon. But even worse is what this could do to the reputation of Apple. While more profits and higher stock prices mean more money for R&D, and even better products down the road, a bad rep means lower stock prices and even the end of the Apple ascendency in the tech world.

Huh? Are people on AI reporting dead iPhones?

It's one guy, one phone, and they replaced it. Getting all fired up about the death of Apple seems a little disproportionate, don't you think?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19614050

OMG! It broke! And he had to wait for a call! from Apple service! Perhaps it says something that Apple had to investigate the issue....as in "this never happens."

I mean really...shit breaks. It's an electronic device. I will say that ATT's policy is is bullshit. If they sold it to him, it should have been replaced...no restocking fee and no questions asked.

But the Drudge headline was "IPhone breaks in only four days." Nice. Fucking Matt Drudge.

I noticed this too. One iPhone breaks and it makes headlines in the Drudgereport. Well, now that the bar is set, the next time Sony, Microsoft or some other company releases some hyped up device, I hope to read about the first one breaking after a few days in the DrudgeReport.

Maybe he owns stock in Microsoft???
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Don't forget it's Microsoft->NBC. Those guy's were spreading so much disinformation the day the iPhone was released it wasn't even funny. We were sitting outside the door at the Apple store using their WiFi connection to read iPhone news, and when it came to MSNBC it was just tons of ridiculous false statements about the phone. It is totally pathetic to print erroneous disinformation rumors that stem from jealousy. Grow up Microsoft!

Excellent point! This is a fact, somebody ought to email Drudge about this so he can put in his headlines, "Apple's iPhone breaks after 4 days at company partly owned by Apple's biggest competitor, Microsoft."

Imagine if GM and NBC had a news channel called GMNBC and they bought a new state of the art Ford car and then reported the car 'broke' after 4 days. Most people would see this for what it is, an opportunity to bring negative media attention on a competitors product.
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Excellent point! This is a fact, somebody ought to email Drudge about this so he can put in his headlines, "Apple's iPhone breaks after 4 days at company partly owned by Apple's biggest competitor, Microsoft."


Add in:
And in unrelated news, Microsoft takes a 1 billion dollar charge to repair faulty x-box 360 units.
post #13 of 28
In the article it mentions that the iPhone heated up during a call. I noticed that mine today felt hot while I was on a call. Has this happend with anyone else?
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHansen726 View Post

In the article it mentions that the iPhone heated up during a call. I noticed that mine today felt hot while I was on a call. Has this happend with anyone else?

HH,

Yes. Mine got to a temperature of 911.6 degrees fahrenheit. I was able to light someone's cigarette, burn up a few twigs and fry an egg over easy --yummy!

Methinks from your posts that you may not cut out to be an iPhone owner. No sense in getting an ulcer over every little thing you "hear" or feel re this device.
post #15 of 28
I thought killing the messenger was a right wing Republican specialty.

Actually, it's not just one repost of a problem with the iPhone, just one well placed article of a totally defective model.

If you look in the iPhone forums, on this website, you'll see that there are some other major issues.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=76280

Again, having never even owned a PC, I'm obviously a fan of Apple. But, IMO, it was a mistake to launch the iPhone with any unresolved issues. Once word gets around that people are not only disappointed, but even perhaps feeling ripped off, that's bad news for Apple, and bad news for Apple fans.

I was planning on giving one to my Dad for his birthday, which is a month away. While he's intrigued by the iPhone, he is a PC guy. Since he's not a Mac loyalist it's a bit risky. at this point, to give him a phone that will cost him extra every month, and that may have issues to boot.

If any of you bought an LCD TV that didn't work as it should, you'd be properly steamed. Never having been a fan of Kool-Aid, I don't get why so many Mac people can't even consider the possibility that Apple screwed up. It's not as if there haven't been issues with other products lines in the family.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

If you look in the iPhone forums, on this website, you'll see that there are some other major issues.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=76280

So, according to you, Apple are to blame for an issue that affects EDGE phones in general?

The iPhone manual states this fact:

Quote:
Note: While iPhone is actively transferring data over EDGE—downloading a webpage, for example—you may not be able to receive calls. Incoming calls may go to voicemail.

Since I'm in Canada (and no-one has sent me an iPhone yet), I can't give you a page number.

See, also, this post at another forum, which I will quote here (for the terminally lazy):

Quote:
It's not a minor issue, but it's also not an iPhone issue. Every AT&T/T-Mobile device that uses GPRS/EDGE data (and Sprint/Verizon devices that use the 1X data network) have this situation apply to them. It's how the data networks work. At least the iPhone isn't a Class C device.

Quote:
The GPRS capability classes

Class A
Can be connected to GPRS service and GSM service (voice, SMS), using both at the same time. Such devices are known to be available today.

Class B
Can be connected to GPRS service and GSM service (voice, SMS), but using only one or the other at a given time. During GSM service (voice call or SMS), GPRS service is suspended, and then resumed automatically after the GSM service (voice call or SMS) has concluded. Most GPRS mobile devices are Class B.

Class C
Are connected to either GPRS service or GSM service (voice, SMS). Must be switched manually between one or the other service.

A true Class A device may be required to transmit on two different frequencies at the same time, and thus will need two radios. To get around this expensive requirement, a GPRS mobile may implement the dual transfer mode (DTM) feature. A DTM-capable mobile may use simultaneous voice and packet data, with the network coordinating to ensure that it is not required to transmit on two different frequencies at the same time. Such mobiles are considered to be pseudo Class A. Some networks are expected to support DTM in 2007.

(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General..._Radio_Service)
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

So, according to you, Apple are to blame for an issue that affects EDGE phones in general?

.....

1) Apple claims that the experience is seamless and
2) like nothing else on the planet.

While I'm not familiar with the Edge issue in general, I'll certainly do some research. But again, I think you're missing the point. The expectations for this phone, some people, are behaving as though it were a gift from God, as in the iconic New York cover story, iGod.

But I have to wonder, and I'm including myself in this, are we turning into a nation of iSheep? With one million sold in one week, it kind of feels like it.
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

Re:
I mean really...shit breaks. It's an electronic device.
......

If the kind of issues that have been reported on MSNBC and in the AppleInsider forums turn out to be a trend, it's pure disaster, for Apple, and Steve Jobs.

There's no excuse for Apple putting out a defective product, especially one that so many people depend on so heavily. We can live without our iPods, but no one I know can afford to plunk down major bucks for a product that stops functioning within 4 days of purchase, or doesn't properly receive phone calls.

As a huge fan of Apple products and an early adopter, this is a major disappointment, especially since I planned to get one soon. But even worse is what this could do to the reputation of Apple. While more profits and higher stock prices mean more money for R&D, and even better products down the road, a bad rep means lower stock prices and even the end of the Apple ascendency in the tech world.

Slow down, Madam Alarmist. It's one phone. I've not heard of widespread issues. Your whole post is nothing but speculation. If the iphone fails in mass numbers, it's a disaster! Well no shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That one iPhone was defective and immediately replaced? If so, you're in for a life of disappointment. I feel sorry for you.




Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Don't forget it's Microsoft->NBC. Those guy's were spreading so much disinformation the day the iPhone was released it wasn't even funny. We were sitting outside the door at the Apple store using their WiFi connection to read iPhone news, and when it came to MSNBC it was just tons of ridiculous false statements about the phone. It is totally pathetic to print erroneous disinformation rumors that stem from jealousy. Grow up Microsoft!

You know, I guess I'm having a "dumb" day, but that didn't occur to me. Good point. Personally I think M$ is shitting a brick right now. Did you see that Balmer interview? He's so uncomfortable it's actually funny. And then he makes up some bullshit stat to make it seem like the Zune is doing well. "We captured 25% of the high end market." Right...sure ya did. So that means that a full 75% of the "high end" market didn't buy a Zune...and 99% of the overall market didn't. Dishonest Monkey-Fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Huh? Are people on AI reporting dead iPhones?

It's one guy, one phone, and they replaced it. Getting all fired up about the death of Apple seems a little disproportionate, don't you think?

One would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I noticed this too. One iPhone breaks and it makes headlines in the Drudgereport. Well, now that the bar is set, the next time Sony, Microsoft or some other company releases some hyped up device, I hope to read about the first one breaking after a few days in the DrudgeReport.

Maybe he owns stock in Microsoft???

Just Drudge being Drudge. I read his site daily because it's a quick snapshot of headlines. Sometimes he just likes to inflame, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

I thought killing the messenger was a right wing Republican specialty.

What in the world does this have to do with politics? Secondly, no one is killing the messenger. We're saying the messenger is full of shit.

Quote:
Actually, it's not just one repost of a problem with the iPhone, just one well placed article of a totally defective model.

Uh...what's the difference? Oh and its not just defective...it's Totally Defective (TM).
Quote:
If you look in the iPhone forums, on this website, you'll see that there are some other major issues.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=76280

Isolated issues. I've heard of about three or four people out of one million. Not a bad failure rate.

Quote:
Again, having never even owned a PC, I'm obviously a fan of Apple. But, IMO, it was a mistake to launch the iPhone with any unresolved issues. Once word gets around that people are not only disappointed, but even perhaps feeling ripped off, that's bad news for Apple, and bad news for Apple fans.

All products...I repeat ALL have unresolved issues. Quality control is not an exact science. Show me 1000 or 10,000 iPhones with the same problem and then we'll talk.

Quote:

I was planning on giving one to my Dad for his birthday, which is a month away. While he's intrigued by the iPhone, he is a PC guy. Since he's not a Mac loyalist it's a bit risky. at this point, to give him a phone that will cost him extra every month, and that may have issues to boot.

Boo fucking hoo. Then don't buy it. The service is about the same cost as what I pay for my VZW withy mobile web. Oh, and my father has about 5 different RAZRs and 2 other brands within 6 months on Sprint. So failures do happen.

Quote:
If any of you bought an LCD TV that didn't work as it should, you'd be properly steamed. Never having been a fan of Kool-Aid, I don't get why so many Mac people can't even consider the possibility that Apple screwed up. It's not as if there haven't been issues with other products lines in the family.

You picked the wrong place to post that argument. I had 3 Zenith HDTVs in 6 months one time. Last year I bought one of the top rated Panasonic 42" Plasmas....over $2000.
I had to exchange it a month later because it developed a display problem. Does that mean Panasonic sucks and the model sucks? No. It just means I got a bad unit. It happens. And that was $2200. I'm not about to start bitching like a pubescent school girl, saying that "OMG, they totally should have like done better research like stuff. Whatever! I'm soooo over it.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

.....

1) Apple claims that the experience is seamless and
2) like nothing else on the planet.

While I'm not familiar with the Edge issue in general, I'll certainly do some research. But again, I think you're missing the point. The expectations for this phone, some people, are behaving as though it were a gift from God, as in the iconic New York cover story, iGod.

But I have to wonder, and I'm including myself in this, are we turning into a nation of iSheep? With one million sold in one week, it kind of feels like it.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

Read this quote, again:

Quote:
Class B
Can be connected to GPRS service and GSM service (voice, SMS), but using only one or the other at a given time. During GSM service (voice call or SMS), GPRS service is suspended, and then resumed automatically after the GSM service (voice call or SMS) has concluded. Most GPRS mobile devices are Class B.

The iPhone, being a Class B EDGE device, suspends the voice component when using EDGE data. When the data session is over, it seamlessly reconnects the voice component.

Before someone tries to be a smartypants: EDGE *is* GPRS. EDGE is also called EGPRS.

Maybe my BB is defective too. Screw RIM.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Huh? Are people on AI reporting dead iPhones?

It's one guy, one phone, and they replaced it. Getting all fired up about the death of Apple seems a little disproportionate, don't you think?

....

At this point we have no way of knowing how many defective iPhones are out there. One, no biggie. 100,000 very big deal.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

HH,

Yes. Mine got to a temperature of 911.6 degrees fahrenheit. I was able to light someone's cigarette, burn up a few twigs and fry an egg over easy --yummy!

Methinks from your posts that you may not cut out to be an iPhone owner. No sense in getting an ulcer over every little thing you "hear" or feel re this device.

I expressed a concern, excuse me for doing that! I take offense at your remark that I am not cut out to be an iPhone owner. I put down hard earned money for it and am only concerned about something I noticed. There have been situations where phones got too hot and actually exploded. So excuse me for expressing a concern. You would probably be one to sue Apple if yours did just what I described and then wondered why no one had questioned it. I try to be careful instead of careless in both my actions and in what I say, unlike you apparently!
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

....

At this point we have no way of knowing how many defective iPhones are out there. One, no biggie. 100,000 very big deal.

If there were 100,000 defective iPhones out there, you certainly would have heard about it by now.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

I thought killing the messenger was a right wing Republican specialty.

Actually, it's not just one repost of a problem with the iPhone, just one well placed article of a totally defective model.

If you look in the iPhone forums, on this website, you'll see that there are some other major issues.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=76280

Again, having never even owned a PC, I'm obviously a fan of Apple. But, IMO, it was a mistake to launch the iPhone with any unresolved issues. Once word gets around that people are not only disappointed, but even perhaps feeling ripped off, that's bad news for Apple, and bad news for Apple fans.

I was planning on giving one to my Dad for his birthday, which is a month away. While he's intrigued by the iPhone, he is a PC guy. Since he's not a Mac loyalist it's a bit risky. at this point, to give him a phone that will cost him extra every month, and that may have issues to boot.

If any of you bought an LCD TV that didn't work as it should, you'd be properly steamed. Never having been a fan of Kool-Aid, I don't get why so many Mac people can't even consider the possibility that Apple screwed up. It's not as if there haven't been issues with other products lines in the family.

Brilliantly funny sarcastic post, Madam! It seems as if 200+ years in your grave has greatly improved your sense of humor. You had some of these folks getting all roiled up. Are you going to knit a cover case for your iPhone when you get it?
post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

....

At this point we have no way of knowing how many defective iPhones are out there. One, no biggie. 100,000 very big deal.

At this point we have no way of knowing how many defective Toyota Camrys there are out there. One, no biggie. 100,000 very big deal.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

But I have to wonder, and I'm including myself in this, are we turning into a nation of iSheep?

You can exclude me from that list, and yes I do think the iPhone is that revolutionary.

The thing is, most people need to first get the approval of the iStupids. This is a slow process. It takes time to investigate the obvious, it takes time to compare notes, it takes time to investigate the even more obvious, it takes time to talk to people to see what they think about it, hell yea, you have to at least do that! You have to doubt anything and everything, you can't make that decision by observing the obvious, you have to get the group agreement first don't you see...

And for some very few, they just never get it.
post #26 of 28
Oh fuck, are we going to do the Apple Fan Boys teh suck dance now?

"This one guy had his iPhone die! And Apple replaced it! What if that means lots of iPhones die? That sure would be a black mark on Apple! I thought they said it came from God and cured cancer!? And also it turns out the EDGE spec doesn't do everything I think it should, so how can Apple claim the iPhone is all that??!! Seems to me that all the great press and ecstatic users mean that people are willing to accept junk from Apple!"

"What? What are you on about? You're just speculating wildly and blaming Apple for making a popular device and implying that if anything at all goes wrong with any phones it means Apple has sold us a bill of goods. And the EDGE thing is just silly."

"AH HA! Looks like I struck a nerve! Seems like the faithful can't stand to see their precious toys revealed to be the empty shells they are! Sure, shoot the messenger, close your ears, and don't admit that since this guy's phone broke it probably means there are thousands of defective iPhones. Fan boi losers!"

"Uh..., whatever."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #27 of 28
Apple really didn't hype the iPhone up all that much, they just put some information out and people interpreted it and then blew it out of proportion with outrageous claims. It's ONE friggen defective unit. The only reason it's made any news was because some guy that writes for a high profile site decided to bash it. Ohh... look at me; I'm a consumer/lemming and I believe everything I hear from the media. It seems to me like he had an extremely good return/support experience and they got the problem fixed asap. I do not see why this is a big deal. What is the average % of defective units on a brand new product release (not an update)? Surely more than what we're seeing for the iPhone.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

.....

1) Apple claims that the experience is seamless and
2) like nothing else on the planet.

While I'm not familiar with the Edge issue in general, I'll certainly do some research. But again, I think you're missing the point. The expectations for this phone, some people, are behaving as though it were a gift from God, as in the iconic New York cover story, iGod.

But I have to wonder, and I'm including myself in this, are we turning into a nation of iSheep? With one million sold in one week, it kind of feels like it.

Obviously you don't own one. Until you do it's hard to actually rate the product don't you think?
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Is Everyone at MSNBC This Dumb?