or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone: activation hack, more iPhone patents, typing tricks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone: activation hack, more iPhone patents, typing tricks

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Another day of iPhone: experts and pundits alike discover how to master the iPhone's features and work around some of its AT&T restrictions.

"DVD Jon" bypasses AT&T activation process

Jon Lech Johansen, also known as "DVD Jon" for cracking the DeCSS routine that guards DVDs, has successfully fooled iTunes into giving access to the iPhone's iPod and Wi-Fi features without first registering an AT&T service plan.

The technique involves modifying hexadecimal values in the software and redirecting its requests away from an Apple server to a custom program, which convinces iTunes that the phone is ready to use.

O2 denies iPhone deal, iTunes shows T-Mobile and Vodafone

O2 has quickly denied the report by Britain's Times that it had secured a deal with Apple to be the exclusive UK carrier for the device.

"We have not signed a deal with Apple," a representative from O2 said.

In related news, coders examining the file listings of the iPhone have found two images -- Default_CARRIER_TMOBILE.png and Default_CARRIER_VODAFONE.png -- nestled inside the device, hinting at potential service providers for the iPhone in European countries.

No iPhone roaming for some first-time users

While Apple touts the quad-band GSM coverage of the iPhone as useful for travelers, standard policies from AT&T will prevent many who have just purchased the phone from taking it abroad. The carrier maintains a three-month "quarantine" period for all new customers that bars them from using the device outside of the AT&T network.

"[I] brought mine to Europe and now it's only a pretty expensive iPod," said one report.

Apple posts iPhone developer guide

Apple has set out the guidelines for creating web-based apps for the iPhone.

The documentation helps those new to the iPhone understand the touch interface, which standards to use, and how to link web software to calling, e-mail, and Google Maps.

NYT's Pogue reveals typing speed trick

New York Times columnist David Pogue says he has solved one of the common complaints about slow typing on the iPhone, the three-step process for adding punctuation.

By holding down the ".?123" button and dragging a finger over to the right character, an owner can type a character with only one press that snaps back instantly to the regular QWERTY layout.

Patents may lead to click wheel iPhones

Accompanying its multi-touch mouse filing, a second Apple patent filing revealed Thursday includes a claim for a "Telephone Interface for a Portable Communication Device" that would bring phone features to an iPod-style click wheel. Hearkening back to rotary phones, the invention would let a user pick numbers to dial by rotating the click wheel to select numbers from an on-screen circular list.

A second patent, "Touch pad with symbols based on mode," would change the controls of the click wheel itself so that users could tap parts of the wheel itself to compose individual numbers.
post #2 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


No iPhone roaming for some first-time users

While Apple touts the quad-band GSM coverage of the iPhone as useful for travelers, standard policies from AT&T will prevent many who have just purchased the phone from taking it abroad. The carrier maintains a three-month "quarantine" period for all new customers that bars them from using the device outside of the AT&T network.

"[I] brought mine to Europe and now it's only a pretty expensive iPod," said one report.

I've had this same experience in the past with other carriers. Its simple to get around, call AT&T and answer a few security/credit question and then no problem. I've did mine on Monday when AT&T was open. Nothing unusual here.
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

NYT's Pogue reveals typing speed trick

New York Times columnist David Pogue says he has solved one of the common complaints about slow typing on the iPhone, the three-step process for adding punctuation.

By holding down the ".?123" button and dragging a finger over to the right character, an owner can type a character with only one press that snaps back instantly to the regular QWERTY layout.

That guy is funny but he is late on that news.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

That guy is funny but he is late on that news.

I thought that news came from David Pogue, posted on his website earlier today...
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

No iPhone roaming for some first-time users

While Apple touts the quad-band GSM coverage of the iPhone as useful for travelers, standard policies from AT&T will prevent many who have just purchased the phone from taking it abroad.

This is complete nonsense. I am traveling in Europe next week, so I called ATT, answered some (really pretty dumb, condescending (and creepy)) questions from ATT, signed on for $5.99 a month (in order to be able to get their $0.99/min rather than their $1.29/min rate), and I was told that "international roaming" was activated. And, a few minutes later, I confirmed that it was, indeed, activated, via my ATT account (I did that on the iPhone under "Settings -- General"; but you can also do that on the regular web).

Btw, I will cancel the $5.99 'plan' when I get back -- it turns out that you can buy just one month at a time.
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Patents may lead to click wheel iPhones

Or may not

Apple patents lots of stuff. That's an obvious concept for them to patent, but not ever use.
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I thought that news came from David Pogue, posted on his website earlier today...

It did. But I was referring to him being late on getting the news out because this has been common knowledge, for what seems like a whole year , on the apple discussion forums.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #8 of 31
How about a multi-touch widescreen video iPod (no phone)? No need to have every iPod owner re-learn a new interface...
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is complete nonsense. I am traveling in Europe next week, so I called ATT, answered some (really pretty dumb, condescending (and creepy)) questions from ATT, signed on for $5.99 a month (in order to be able to get their $0.99/min rather than their $1.29/min rate), and I was told that "international roaming" was activated. And, a few minutes later, I confirmed that it was, indeed, activated, via my ATT account (I did that on the iPhone under "Settings -- General"; but you can also do that on the regular web).

Btw, I will cancel the $5.99 'plan' when I get back -- it turns out that you can buy just one month at a time.

I signed up for the regular (aka "free") international roaming. Wasn't asked any questions, but how did you confirm this...on the iPhone? Settings >> General >> (then what?)

FYI...AT&T suggests you keep the $5.99 plan active for 3 months.....not only to bilk you for more money, but because overseas calls don't get billed to AT&T, then you, immediately. AT&T may get billed for one of your calls 2 months from now. And if you've already canceled the "World Traveler" plan, you will be charged for that call at the normal $1.29 rate, or whatever it is. (Russia is $4.99/min. ) Be careful.
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is complete nonsense. I am traveling in Europe next week, so I called ATT, answered some (really pretty dumb, condescending (and creepy)) questions from ATT, signed on for $5.99 a month (in order to be able to get their $0.99/min rather than their $1.29/min rate), and I was told that "international roaming" was activated. And, a few minutes later, I confirmed that it was, indeed, activated, via my ATT account (I did that on the iPhone under "Settings -- General"; but you can also do that on the regular web).

Btw, I will cancel the $5.99 'plan' when I get back -- it turns out that you can buy just one month at a time.

I'm just going to wish you luck. One of the [many] reasons I dumped ATT (Cingular at the time) was because before a three month trip to Europe I knew my current phone wouldn't work there. So I called Cingular (mind you, I had been a customer for 4 years at this point) to upgrade both my phone and calling plan. They assured me that everything was set up and ready for my trip. The phone arrived, and just to be sure I took it to a local Cingular company store (not a reseller). I asked them to confirm everything was properly set up and activated. Again, I was assured it was.

I get to London....paper weight. And the worst part about it was that it took them over 2 weeks and nearly $50 of international calling card calls (at my cost) to get them to get my phone and account set up they way they had twice assured me that it was before I left. The only good thing to come of it is that I kept my new phone after paying the cancellation fee to get out of the Cingular contract, got it unlocked, and can now swap out prepaid international SIM cards at will.
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple patent filing revealed Thursday includes a claim for a "Telephone Interface for a Portable Communication Device" that would bring phone features to an iPod-style click wheel. Hearkening back to rotary phones, the invention would let a user pick numbers to dial by rotating the click wheel to select numbers from an on-screen circular list.

A second patent, "Touch pad with symbols based on mode," would change the controls of the click wheel itself so that users could tap parts of the wheel itself to compose individual numbers.

That's interesting. I'm wondering if we'll see an iPhone Nano - I was assuming originally no Web access, just a phone + iPod Nano. This would make that work.

Of course... it'd be difficult for smses wouldn't it?

In such a form factor... it can be pretty simple - are there any other great features that can also be simply added? Or is it a big jump for extra functionality?

(eg: visual voicemail? camera? emails?)
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

That's interesting. I'm wondering if we'll see an iPhone Nano - I was assuming originally no Web access, just a phone + iPod Nano. This would make that work.

Of course... it'd be difficult for smses wouldn't it?

In such a form factor... it can be pretty simple - are there any other great features that can also be simply added? Or is it a big jump for extra functionality?

(eg: visual voicemail? camera? emails?)


iPhone + Click-wheel - Phone = 6G iPod? Would't it be great if Apple took the phone out of the iPhone and added a click-wheel and a larger HDD/more flash?
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Patents may lead to click wheel iPhones

Accompanying its multi-touch mouse filing, a second Apple patent filing revealed Thursday includes a claim for a "Telephone Interface for a Portable Communication Device" that would bring phone features to an iPod-style click wheel. Hearkening back to rotary phones...

Jobs already unvield this before he introed the iPhone I guess it's just taking a while to manufactuer.

Voila!

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

That's interesting. I'm wondering if we'll see an iPhone Nano - I was assuming originally no Web access, just a phone + iPod Nano. This would make that work.

Of course... it'd be difficult for smses wouldn't it?

In such a form factor... it can be pretty simple - are there any other great features that can also be simply added? Or is it a big jump for extra functionality?

(eg: visual voicemail? camera? emails?)


I'd pay for that. The Nano as it is now, with the added capability of just a phone. No text, no camera, no other doo-dads. Just Nano+Phone.
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I signed up for the regular (aka "free") international roaming. Wasn't asked any questions, but how did you confirm this...on the iPhone? Settings >> General >> (then what?)

FYI...AT&T suggests you keep the $5.99 plan active for 3 months.....not only to bilk you for more money, but because overseas calls don't get billed to AT&T, then you, immediately. AT&T may get billed for one of your calls 2 months from now. And if you've already canceled the "World Traveler" plan, you will be charged for that call at the normal $1.29 rate, or whatever it is. (Russia is $4.99/min. ) Be careful.

Sorry, here's the right path:

Settings --> Phone --> AT&T Services --> AT&T My Account

Thanks for the heads-up about three months of billing. I was explicitly told by 'Leroy' that I need to keep it for just one month!
post #16 of 31
What I would like to know is this. If you take the SIM card out of a activated iPhone and put it into a iPhone that has not been activated will the unactivated iPhone now work or does it still need to be activated?
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

It did. But I was referring to him being late on getting the news out because this has been common knowledge, for what seems like a whole year , on the apple discussion forums.

There's actually almost never a need for this, as once you hit the spacebar after typing a punctuation mark (which is what you would do 99% of the time, anyway) the keyboard bounces back into letters.

So it's a two-step process, even without the hold-down-and-slide trick.
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

There's actually almost never a need for this, as once you hit the spacebar after typing a punctuation mark (which is what you would do 99% of the time, anyway) the keyboard bounces back into letters.

So it's a two-step process, even without the hold-down-and-slide trick.

Let's face it. The Blackberry double space auto period is awesome and Apple had to find a work around. I love the tap and drag over the tap tap space.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Let's face it. The Blackberry double space auto period is awesome and Apple had to find a work around. I love the tap and drag over the tap tap space.

Actually the tap-drag is useful many other places like $, #, or even putting a 'number' in a web page. So it goes far beyond just the period at the end of the line.
post #20 of 31
We bought x2 iPhones. We sent one iPhone to England 12 hrs after opening night purchase and added a new phone no. to our existing family plan.

Upon landing the iPhone in England worked just great (the morning after the launch party). Txt, Edge access, phone maps etc. The service was a change to an existing no. to iPhone use as per the acivation process. The additional phone line added has to wait the probation period even though it is on the same account as the other in the family plan that has been active for 3 years. We upgraded to the AT&T worldwide plan at an AT&T office as we could not access the account on line. The recommend/clue about the world wide account svc and informing AT&T that the phone would be traveling was from an apple sales rep at the SF mother ship. This svc activation was done while the traveling iPhone was enroute.

We will have to wait and see what the final costs will be when the bill comes and what the wait period on the second unit will be.
post #21 of 31
My iPhone worked immediately when roaming in Canada. This is the a-la-carte service. I called to try to activate a discount roaming plan. Because I'm a new customer, AT&T wanted me to fax them a copy of ny photo ID and a utility bill to prove I live in the US. Alternatively I can wait 90 days....
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Let's face it. The Blackberry double space auto period is awesome and Apple had to find a work around. I love the tap and drag over the tap tap space.

I actually never liked the double space for period thing, because I stopped using two spaces after a period as soon as I started using computers. It's a bad habit from the days of typewriters.

Palm actually solved this better with the dedicated period key.

But as someone pointed out earlier, the tap and drag thing is useful if you use other punctuation that doesn't usually get a space after it, like $,&,@, etc. I did notice that apostrophes (') automatically switch back to letters, even without a spacebar tap. Makes sense, as you'll almost never follow an apostrophe with anything other than a letter.
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I actually never liked the double space for period thing, because I stopped using two spaces after a period as soon as I started using computers. It's a bad habit from the days of typewriters.

Palm actually solved this better with the dedicated period key.

But as someone pointed out earlier, the tap and drag thing is useful if you use other punctuation that doesn't usually get a space after it, like $,&,@, etc. I did notice that apostrophes (') automatically switch back to letters, even without a spacebar tap. Makes sense, as you'll almost never follow an apostrophe with anything other than a letter.

Why do some people double space after a period and some single space? I double space personally. It just looks better to me.

Also, dont get me wrong about the iPhone's tap-drag-release is wonderful.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Why do some people double space after a period and some single space? I double space personally. It just looks better to me.

Doesn't do you any good when posting in a forum like this. All contiguous sequences of spaces end up getting displayed as a single space.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #25 of 31
I've been using the iPhone for two days in Paris. Some observations:

1) I started to get a strong signal as the plane was taxi-ing into CDG; it is on Orange.

2) Call quality is outstanding -- a bit depressing for me as a US consumer, considering how it sucks back home. Btw, when calling the US, the software automatically figures out you are in France and does stuff like country codes, international codes and such. (It also does the same when calling within France, as I found out in making local restaurant reservations).

3) Anyone complaining about EDGE and 2.5 (v. 3)G has not used it (or an iPhone) yet. SJ was absolutely right -- for apps such as email, stocks, weather, maps, and such, 2.5G is a non-issue. EDGE works fabulously in Paris. But the internet IS slower compared to wifi, yet nowhere near as slow as has been mentioned in reviews such as Pogue's. I am coasting, for all my iPhone needs. (Btw, free wifi in the hotel lobby means I get all my surfing done as well).

4) The only problem is -- if that is the word -- I have been getting mobbed. Everyone here at the hotel as heard of the "eephunn". Can't sit at a bar with this thing without getting constant taps on the shoulder; bellboys and concierges and duty managers and ladies at check-in are going nuts over this thing (usually, the younger they are, the more they go nuts). Even Japanese tourists in the lobby are going ga-ga. For all their supposed tech-savviness over here in Europe (granted it's only one country so far), they all do a collective swoon when they start to play with it.

5) My prediction -- This thing is going to be bloody HUGE all over the word.

6) Short Nokia.
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I've been using the iPhone for two days in Paris. Some observations:

4) The only problem is -- if that is the word -- I have been getting mobbed. Everyone here at the hotel as heard of the "eephunn". Can't sit at a bar with this thing without getting constant taps on the shoulder; bellboys and concierges and duty managers and ladies at check-in are going nuts over this thing (usually, the younger they are, the more they go nuts). Even Japanese tourists in the lobby are going ga-ga. For all their supposed tech-savviness over here in Europe (granted it's only one country so far), they all do a collective swoon when they start to play with it.

On Wednesday, I'm leaving for 2 weeks in Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Russia, Sweden & Finland. I starting to get a bit concerned about getting "mobbed" too. I just hoped it is not "robbed" instead.
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Why do some people double space after a period and some single space? I double space personally. It just looks better to me.

Also, dont get me wrong about the iPhone's tap-drag-release is wonderful.

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to do "cap-locks".
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to do "cap-locks".

Settings -> General -> Keyboard: Set "Enable Caps Lock" to On.
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Settings -> General -> Keyboard: Set "Enable Caps Lock" to On.

Or, you can also double-tap the CAPS key (the "up" arrow).
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Or, you can also double-tap the CAPS key (the "up" arrow).

I did not know that! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!



post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Or, you can also double-tap the CAPS key (the "up" arrow).

But this only works after you turn it on in the general settings. At least thats how it worked for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone: activation hack, more iPhone patents, typing tricks