or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › If someone manages to unlock an iPhone...

If someone manages to unlock an iPhone...

post #1 of 2
...and use it with a carrier other than AT&T, wouldn't that mean that the iPhone's voice mail feature wouldn't work? As I understand it, Apple had to work with AT&T to develop the standard needed to support random access voice mail. I can't remember if that's a proprietary standard, or an open standard which other carriers might (in time) adopt.

As far as I'm concerned, the way voice mail works in one of the best features of the iPhone. It would be kind of sad to have an iPhone but still have to go through an audio interface ("You have 3 messages. First message received at... 10:15 AM, Friday, July 6. To listen, press 1, to skip press...", etc, etc, ad nauseam) to get your voice messages.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #2 of 2
Yes, but it would be grand to be able to get off a plane in london and switch out an AT&T sim card for a vodaphone prepaid sim card with a local London number. Then get back on another plane land in NYC and switch back to AT&T and have your US number up and running.

That is the real magic of the unlocked phone.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › If someone manages to unlock an iPhone...