or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Multi-touch video iPods to arrive in August - report

Multi-touch video iPods to arrive in August - report - Page 3

post #81 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall58 View Post

well. i think a touch function is useless, apple should updater more in iPod screen.them i can make full use of my tool for iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud167 View Post

3.5" screen can make yuo satified~them yuo can enjoy in your movie which is ripped by mp4converter

Ow. My brains.
post #82 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

That would suck really badly if the iPod keeps the 3.5" screen. I want a bigger screen damn it!!!

Even if Apple's next iPod had a screen 2mm from each edge, just as you've wished, the screen would be 99.5mm x 57.8mm, short of 16:9. You'd still have black bars for any recent movie.
post #83 of 104
crazy new 6g iPod rumors:
  • no multi-touch
  • has coverflow
  • could drop august 7th

linkage:http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...pod-interface/
post #84 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post

crazy new 6g iPod rumors:
  • no multi-touch
  • has coverflow
  • could drop august 7th

linkage:http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...pod-interface/

Said it before, I'll say it again. If Apple releases a product that doesn't equal or exceed the iPhone on the iPod front, I'll transcode my library and get another brand. There's just no excuse to release yet another incremental upgrade to a product that's been floating along with the same design for years. Especially with the iPhone on the market.
post #85 of 104
Macrumors has taken that story down at the request of Apple, all but confirming the story.

[edit: Here's the video on youtube.
post #86 of 104
All it confirms is Apple not wanting consumers to expect something they may not be delivering. While the recent rumors of a non multi-touch video iPod are disappointing, it does sort of make sense.

The multi-touch experience requires a rapid response from the OS, and that speed is deriving from Flash memory. Currently 32G flash costs more than most consumer would be willing to pay for the total iPod, and to attempt using a HD for video storage (60-80G) would eliminate multi-touch from the equation. But a larger screen similar to the iPhones could be achieved using the side panel control button Apple patented last year.
post #87 of 104
First the mouse, then the track pad, now the touch screen. Apple always seems to be ahead of its time. Does anyone think this is a stupid idea: What if the next step involved the accelerometer technology. When it comes to small screens, the annoying thing like when reading an article is having to make the choice of nano sizing your text giving you a headache, or enlarging it and having to constantly scroll up,down, left, , right. Or in the case of multi-touch pinching, expanding, and rolling. What if Apple's next step was to use the motion sensor like a mouse.
Think of closing in on a newspaper article and holding the iphone in front of you. As you near the end of a sentence, move slightly to the right and voila. Up, down,left, right. To magnify move it towards you an inch or so. OK so maybe it could be a part time option only, like a reading mode button for ebooks. I just think there are many more posibilities for this accelerometer tech.
post #88 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob View Post

All it confirms is Apple not wanting consumers to expect something they may not be delivering. While the recent rumors of a non multi-touch video iPod are disappointing, it does sort of make sense.

I'm not sure what your point is here, but would you be willing to bet me that Apple doesn't release an iPod with this interface? When Apple legal has pictures/videos removed from websites, they are real and soon to be released. I'd expect this iPod within a few weeks.
post #89 of 104
Where are the elevator pics???

Nothing is CONFIRMED!! (TM) until we have elevator pics.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #90 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Where are the elevator pics???

Nothing is CONFIRMED!! (TM) until we have elevator pics.

what do you mean by elevator pics???
post #91 of 104
Having rewatched the video the interface is really rather weak, atleast compared with what the iPhone can do. It'll be a shame if it's real.
post #92 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post

Having rewatched the video the interface is really rather weak, atleast compared with what the iPhone can do. It'll be a shame if it's real.

I don't think a music player needs the full interface of the iPhone, especially when there's such a tried-and-true interface that already exists on the iPod. I just hope they update the damn thing sooner rather than later.
post #93 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Said it before, I'll say it again. If Apple releases a product that doesn't equal or exceed the iPhone on the iPod front, I'll transcode my library and get another brand. There's just no excuse to release yet another incremental upgrade to a product that's been floating along with the same design for years. Especially with the iPhone on the market.

Actually, there is a very good excuse for not releasing an iPhone style iPod at this time: cost.

Myself, I would be thrilled with a widescreen video iPod with a virtual clickwheel.

You'll notice that there's nothing in the posted video that precludes a touch-screen.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #94 of 104
I'm cross posting this from the "6th gen iPod UI?" thread, because in my opinion it's pretty definitive proof that the video is a fake:

I was looking at the Engadget comments on this story, and a good point is made:

In the video, on the "world clocks" section we see two clocks at once whose second hands are very slightly out of sync. Moreover, when the clock interface is shown, every clock shown has a moving second hand, except the main screen.

Here's another problem-- when the clock is shown being changed from Accra time to Addis Ababa the clock jumps forward 5 hours, but the actual time difference between those cities is 3 hours.

Fake, or an Apple plant.
post #95 of 104
addabox, there's one basic fact that essentially guarantees that it is real: Apple requested that macrumors remove the video.
post #96 of 104
Right, and it may well be an Apple something, but there's no way I can square the obvious inconsistencies of the video with "the next iPod interface."

I really don't have an explanation, but can you imagine that sweat-the-details Apple would make a demo of an interface that had those kinds of flaws, even at the in-house in development level?
post #97 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

addabox, there's one basic fact that essentially guarantees that it is real: Apple requested that macrumors remove the video.

Usually, but it's not like we ever saw asteroid either, did we?
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #98 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right, and it may well be an Apple something, but there's no way I can square the obvious inconsistencies of the video with "the next iPod interface."

I really don't have an explanation, but can you imagine that sweat-the-details Apple would make a demo of an interface that had those kinds of flaws, even at the in-house in development level?

I don't know. Maybe it was a rough demo that got out, rather than a finished one? But the fact that Apple had it taken down means that it IS from Apple. Even "artist renderings" aren't ever taken down by Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder

It could be, like asteroid, a concept that never makes it to a real product. But I doubt it. We all know new iPods are coming this fall. We all know they need to be updated more significantly than the last update. And we all know they would love to keep the multi-touch interface for the iPhone alone. A fancied-up click-wheel interface just makes a ton of sense.
post #99 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Some people think that was something made up to root out leakers, and that seems like a fairly plausible explanation to me. It could have been a collaboration with M-Audio, they had released a control surface that's styled after Garage Band and is supposed to interact with GB's interface.
post #100 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob View Post

The multi-touch experience requires a rapid response from the OS, and that speed is deriving from Flash memory. Currently 32G flash costs more than most consumer would be willing to pay for the total iPod, and to attempt using a HD for video storage (60-80G) would eliminate multi-touch from the equation. But a larger screen similar to the iPhones could be achieved using the side panel control button Apple patented last year.

Current iPods already have both flash (for buffer) and hard drive memory. No reason they couldn't add an extra GB for OS X to reside in.
post #101 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by floribus View Post

what do you mean by elevator pics???

A couple of years ago (maybe more), one of the major discussions involved an Apple tablet. Pics were submitted here just prior to one of the Macworlds (Paris? Can't remember now). It showed what looked like a boxed tablet device - the pics were taken in an elevator.

At least that was what I think the reference eluded to.

On topic: 'Course I'd like to see a multiple touch iPod come out. I've been nursing my first gen iPod for years now. It'll be appropriate to replace it with a "first" gen video iPod. What with all the conflicting rumors coming out now. I guess it may not come to pass - I don't know. In any case, my iPod chugs along like a trooper. I could wait a bit longer...
post #102 of 104
Why can't that be the new iPod nano interface. A nano will probably be too small for a touchscreen so it could be like this with a clickwheel.

EDIT: Does anyone have a video of the new interface? The old one was taken down.
post #103 of 104
Now when the iPhone with a touch screen has been launched there is no turning back for Apple. The black/white iPod is Apple's signature products and hasn't been updated in 2.5 years. Apple have many eyes on them and the anticipation for the G6 iPod is HUGE.

The whole world is expecting a touch screen. Apple better offer an iPod G6 with some new spectacular features if it doesn't feature a touch screen, otherwise a big wave of disappointment will be triggered. I'm ready to buy a new 30Gb+ music device and I'm hoping for a touch screen or else the click wheel + a 32GB SSD drive.

Other than that I hope the new iPod will be using the battery which is sitting inside the iPhone. It seem to offer high capacity in devices which use big touch screens.
post #104 of 104
A-Z iPod Video Converter is designed to convert your favorite movies from AVI , DIVX, MOV, MPEG, QuickTime, VCD, DVD, WMV, ASF, RM, RMVB to Apple iPod.

www.rm-converter.net/rm_to_ipod
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Multi-touch video iPods to arrive in August - report