or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Macbook wont boot

Macbook wont boot

post #1 of 10
Ok here we go. I bought a macbook pro a year ago. Its been working fine until last week.

I cant get it passed the gray screen. Ive backed up all my files on a friends computer so at least I still have that. Ive tried to boot with the operating disk but that has not worked. I can pull it up on another computer but it wont let me repair the drive. I think I plugged it into a bad power outlet and sent a surge to my macbook (it was the first time I did not use a powerstrip). A friend of mine told me that it forgot who the user was.

So if anyone could help me out that would be awesome.
post #2 of 10
Try booting into safe mode. Hold down Shift on the white screen before the Apple logo comes up.
post #3 of 10
i just tried it and it just shut off

thanks though
post #4 of 10
Maybe try resetting the PMU:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

If the computer is on, turn it off.
Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
Press the Power button to restart the computer.
post #5 of 10
didnt work, same thing happens
post #6 of 10
Try this:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.
post #7 of 10
didnt work, I guess I have major hardware problems.

It did chime a few times but it still wont go past the gray screen
post #8 of 10
Can you boot holding command-v and see what text appears.
post #9 of 10
couldnt find root user. sleeping and trying again.
post #10 of 10
Ok the problem was that bad power corrupted my files. For some reason it works now and im doing an erase and install for everything.

Thanks again for the help
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Macbook wont boot