or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official Fortean Phenomena Thread...

Official Fortean Phenomena Thread...

post #1 of 6
I have long been a devoted fan of the West's most unsung heterodox philosopher, the genius that was Charles Fort - the indefatigable chronicler of the unexplained so it's way past time for a homage thread.

What sets Fort - and Forteans - apart from the usual New-Age kooks and UFO-loons is the refusal to believe in any of the phenomena they record. They are simply a philosophical camera; the essence of the Fortean view is to merely record an event.

Explanations are not important and facts are not pressed into service for any agenda...hence if Granny Smith claims to see an alien sitting in her living room, the true Fortean will merely record that Granny Smith claimed to see an alien sitting in her living room.

With relation to actual anomalous artifacts, the Fortean will merely point to their presence and let others do the wrangling. Ideal material for a AO thread hahaha! So here goes. This is my first contribution: Stegosaurus in ancient carving at Angor Wat - feel free to comment or proffer Fortean instance of your own!

A 800 year old (apparently) carved relief at Angkor Wat has been found which clearly depicts a Stegosaurus. Here he is:

What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 6
Likely: Asian Rhinoceros.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Likely: Asian Rhinoceros.

Too obvious to be a truly 'Fortean' response....better would be that maybe they dug up a fossil or an enterprising tour-guide has been making free with the chisel......
post #4 of 6
Well, these dudes believe they photographed an unidentified flying object near Maxwell Air Force base and all around the California area.

Clearly, this may not be real or true. But Hell, what a cool looking "drone" craft. Unfortunately (since being a Fortean thread), they believe they have proof of it's origin. And it comes in the form of documents and technical schematics that were "borrowed" from extraterrestrial intelligence and materials obtained by:

Quote:
Commercial Applications Research for Extraterrestrial Technology (CARET), the Q4-86 Research Report,” dated December 1986, Palo Alto, California, by the Palo Alto CARET Laboratory, also known as PACL (pronounced “packel”). The CARET Laboratory’s research goal is stated as, “achieving a greater understanding of extraterrestrial technology within the context of commercial applications and civilian use.

Viewing these "Top-Secret" documents makes one ponder if the craft(s) are real by matching the markings on the craft to the related markings on the schematics and designs from CARET.

It may all be a hoax and just tin-foil hatters (or very clever 3D modelers), but I really have to give them credit for the overall creativity, imagination and determination to lull someone into their world of UFOness.

Do I believe? Must see video evidence. But I enjoy a good tale from the Twilight Zone.

post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Well, these dudes believe they photographed an unidentified flying object near Maxwell Air Force base and all around the California area.

Clearly, this may not be real or true. But Hell, what a cool looking "drone" craft. Unfortunately (since being a Fortean thread), they believe they have proof of it's origin. And it comes in the form of documents and technical schematics that were "borrowed" from extraterrestrial intelligence and materials obtained by:

Viewing these "Top-Secret" documents makes one ponder if the craft(s) are real by matching the markings on the craft to the related markings on the schematics and designs from CARET.

It may all be a hoax and just tin-foil hatters (or very clever 3D modelers), but I really have to give them credit for the overall creativity, imagination and determination to lull someone into their world of UFOness.

Do I believe? Must see video evidence. But I enjoy a good tale from the Twilight Zone.

I dunno Artman, that just looks like a bad Photoshop job to me. And frankly, if the pictures were taken with anything other than a film camera, with intact negatives these days, I doubt their authenticity.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I dunno Artman, that just looks like a bad Photoshop job to me. And frankly, if the pictures were taken with anything other than a film camera, with intact negatives these days, I doubt their authenticity.

I know, I know...but that's so damn cool.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Official Fortean Phenomena Thread...