or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Macbook heat issues

Macbook heat issues

post #1 of 7
Ok so i'm on a 3 month old black macbook. no problems except my computer gets exceptionally hot when all i'm doin is surfing the internet or playing online poker. the bottom of my macbook gets superhot - not burning skin hot, but suprisingly hot. i have smcfancontrol and even if i turn it up on max, my computer doesn't cool down and all i have is the extra noise from the fan.

any advice?
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelitex View Post

Ok so i'm on a 3 month old black macbook. no problems except my computer gets exceptionally hot when all i'm doin is surfing the internet or playing online poker. the bottom of my macbook gets superhot - not burning skin hot, but suprisingly hot. i have smcfancontrol and even if i turn it up on max, my computer doesn't cool down and all i have is the extra noise from the fan.

any advice?

How hot does smcFC say it gets?
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
post #3 of 7
between 120 and 130F.
post #4 of 7
eh... thats nothing
post #5 of 7
Is that the enclosure temperature?
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

Is that the enclosure temperature?

no. CPU temp as reported by SMCFC The enclosure though was obviously quite hot too when I took that screenshot. I didn't have a thermometer, but I would say around 120 ish. And yes, I do have it on a hard flat surface with proper ventilation.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

no. CPU temp as reported by SMCFC The enclosure though was obviously quite hot too when I took that screenshot. I didn't have a thermometer, but I would say around 120 ish. And yes, I do have it on a hard flat surface with proper ventilation.

Laptops just get hot, and the MacBook is so thin that it doesn't have much room for excess heat, so it feels hotter. It's only a little hotter than an average laptop, at about 54° C (or 130° F). That's normal. If it starts getting up around 60°-70° C, then you can worry.
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Macbook heat issues