or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Finally saw one! Quick Impressions

Finally saw one! Quick Impressions

post #1 of 9
I finally got a chance to see one at the Apple Store in Freehold, NJ. First the store was very busy in general but the main area of interest were the iPhones. I only got to play with one for about 15 or 20 minutes, but I'd be interested in hearing from owners and people like me who have only seen it. Here are my impressions.

1. It is very cool and smaller than I expected. I agree that the screen is the main focus.

2. Typing was harder than I expected. I can see why the general advice is to just type and trust the software, but I was having problems getting even the first letter in a word correct so the software didn't seem to help me there. What I needed to do was wait until the letter appeared "in the little bubble" before I clicked on it. I did get slightly better as I went along but I'd need a lot more practice.

3. The internet is cool but was much slower, even on WIFI in a Apple store than I expected. Perhaps I expected too much. Pages just seemed to take a long time to render. I also noticed that there is a delay going into landscape mode, at least there appeared to be one for me.

4. SMS and e-mail were about what I expected but with my slow typing somewhat useless. However, I could see myself using the SMS on a iPhone where I never even consider using it on my current phone.

5. I wasn't able to make a call so I can't say much about that function.

6. I got confused at first navigating the iPod functions. When I pressed it it took me to an album, which may have been playing instead of the main iPod menu which I expected. My impression is that you were taken to your last function. I finally got to the main iPod section after playing with it.

7. It's different than any other phone and many people near me seemed overwhelmed by it or even somewhat confused by the interface.

8. I was confused by some of the icons in the apps and wasn't always sure what they did. I guess you can't roll over an icon to see it's name? I wish you could.

I guess that's it. Would I like one? Of course but I couldn't afford one right now and I'm not sure I'd really need one, however, I think I would use the functions if I did get one. I look forward to seeing it again.
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

...but I'd be interested in hearing from owners and people like me who have only seen it. Here are my impressions.

1. It is very cool and smaller than I expected. I agree that the screen is the main focus.

2. Typing was harder than I expected.

3. The internet is cool but was much slower, even on WIFI in a Apple store than I expected... I also noticed that there is a delay going into landscape mode...

4. SMS and e-mail were about what I expected but with my slow typing somewhat useless. However, I could see myself using the SMS on a iPhone where I never even consider using it on my current phone.

5. I wasn't able to make a call so I can't say much about that function.

6. I got confused at first navigating the iPod functions...

7. It's different than any other phone and many people near me seemed overwhelmed by it or even somewhat confused by the interface.

8. I was confused by some of the icons in the apps and wasn't always sure what they did. I guess you can't roll over an icon to see it's name? I wish you could...

1. It's SO cool.

2. Typing's just different... it really has become pretty intuitive for me after several days.

3. Yep... even WiFi seems slower than an iMac... I'm guessing you are right on the money in speculating that the iPhone's processor just can't render as fast.

4. I still don't use SMS.

5. Calls sound/work just like any other cellular phone.

6. Yes... When you select iPod, it goes to wherever you left it last time it was in iPod.

7. Yes, It's different... it's EASIER than my Treo was.

8. There aren't THAT many apps (yet)... you figure out the icons by the end of the first day using it

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #3 of 9
I bought an iPhone last week, and after 7 days, I still think it's awesome. It's by far the best mobile phone I have used. I actually just got done writing about it:

I really hope Apple improves the syncing to messaging systems like Exchange and .Mac. That's the only real weak point for me.
--
Mac user, really like OS X.
--
post #4 of 9
I went to my local AT&T store and just checked it out yesterday. I love the multi-touch it is absolutely intuitive, I found myself using the pinch allot more than double tapping for zooming in on web pages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
post #5 of 9
I've a long time Apple user, and I knew it would be a matter of time before I bought the iPhone. It got pretty good reviews, especially from Ars, so I went out and picked it up on Friday. It's been 3 days and I still just turn it on to slide the little unlock bar left to right and then turn it off again. It really is amazing. There are some things about it that *slightly* annoy me, but most of it I'm assuming will come along in updates in the near future. Even as the phone stands now, it's simply amazing. People have told me they can even hear me much better on it than my previous Sony Ericsson W300i. I'm very pleased...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

I3. The internet is cool but was much slower, even on WIFI in a Apple store than I expected...

Think about what's pretty much a full-fledged version of Safari, complete with a very complex HTML/XML rendering engine that includes advanced CSS handling, running on a very low-power CPU suitable for use in a mobile phone.

I suspect that it's rendering time, not data transfer rates, that contribute the most to the sluggishness you see while on wifi.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #7 of 9
I played with one in an AT&T store as well, and noticed the same slow performance. When I got one, and connected to any of the wifi sources I have, it worked much better. I am guessing the wifi in-store just isn't that fast.
--
--
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Think about what's pretty much a full-fledged version of Safari, complete with a very complex HTML/XML rendering engine that includes advanced CSS handling, running on a very low-power CPU suitable for use in a mobile phone.

I suspect that it's rendering time, not data transfer rates, that contribute the most to the sluggishness you see while on wifi.

No I agree. I guess I was just expecting something different. I still think it's a great phone and I wish I could buy one!
post #9 of 9
Just waiting for it to come to Hong Kong. Unlocked, of course. There's no way I would ever EVER in my life buy a locked phone. Hopefully they will become illegal soon.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Finally saw one! Quick Impressions