or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Would putting a standard slot-loading DVD drive in the Apple TV make sense right now?

Would putting a standard slot-loading DVD drive in the Apple TV make sense right now? - Page 2

Poll Results: Would putting a standard slot-loading DVD drive in the Apple TV make sense right now?

• 52% (52)
    (I have read your post) Putting a DVD slot in the Apple TV makes sense right now
  • 48% (48)
    (I have read your post) Putting a DVD slot in the Apple TV doesn't makes sense right now
100 Total Votes  
post #41 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

About a month ago I believe.

It's still too early to think about putting in opical drives IMO. Right now the money for Apple TV needs to be spent in beefing up the hardware so that it supports 1080 and faster bitrates.

If that takes off then the idea of putting in optical drives can be evaluated.

1080p is no doubt needed too, that will be added at some point.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #42 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I agree, but that's not economically viable. If the Apple TV cost $1000 I'd say they'd sell only a few thousand of them.

Can you cite your source for such wisdom? or are you still in fantasy wishlist mode?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

post #43 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Can you cite your source for such wisdom? or are you still in fantasy wishlist mode?

Here's an internet slap in the face, if only it was real.

So tell me Watler, how much do you think A Blu-ray 160GB Apple TV would cost? And how many of them do 'you' think would sell if it were released tomorrow?
post #44 of 163
If the cost of adding a DVD player was minimal for Apple then it may be a good idea since it could lower the threshold for adoption of the AppleTV. A year ago I bought a cheap DVD player for $49. I would imagine the drive itself would cost $5-10 to the manufacturer.

Of course ideally one would want a combo Blu-ray / HD-DVD drive but it will be a few before that is economically viable.

Imagine though having a DVD player/ recorder that "just works". Something that can play HD video off discs or the internet and maybe even record live TV. Something that could work so easily that any village idiot could record the shows they like without ever have to set up a VCR again. We all know Apple could do that - just depends if they are motivated in that direction.
post #45 of 163
Quote:

So tell me Watler, how much do you think A Blu-ray 160GB Apple TV would cost? And how many of them do 'you' think would sell if it were released tomorrow?

I'm not Walter but given that the Pioneer BDC-S02/BDC-2202 is $300 retail then no more than $699. Heck...the BDC-2202 is a combo drive that also does DVD and CD RW along with burner software. Maybe even $599 for aTV if its only a BR/DVD/CD reader although the CPU, RAM and Video might need a little bump to get smooth playback. Or a chip.

How many would it sell? More than a $449 aTV with DVD player.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...935078,00.html

Vinea
post #46 of 163
I voted yes. It's kind of useless as is right now, i mean it just streams stuff to your tv, and the quality is apparently not to swell. Why not add the dvd player, not only will it reduce the need for the bigger hard drive on the apple tv, but the picture will be better. And it would still allow you to steam some music, and trailers and what not to your tv.

ps: 20 to 19 for needs a dvd player.
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive 8x
15" Glossy Widescreen Display

with a wireless Apple keyboard

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
post #47 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

I voted yes. It's kind of useless as is right now, i mean it just streams stuff to your tv, and the quality is apparently not to swell. Why not add the dvd player, not only will it reduce the need for the bigger hard drive on the apple tv, but the picture will be better. And it would still allow you to steam some music, and trailers and what not to your tv.

ps: 20 to 19 for needs a dvd player.

It's actually 19 to 20 b/c I changed my vote right after I posted it. Question though. Streaming a DVD - Is it going to look as good as a DVD? I'm thinking NOT. It's like adding one more thing to be criticized as being less than acceptable.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #48 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

It's actually 19 to 20 b/c I changed my vote right after I posted it. Question though. Streaming a DVD - Is it going to look as good as a DVD? I'm thinking NOT. It's like adding one more thing to be criticized as being less than acceptable.

i never said anything about streaming a dvd to your tv. the thing would basically stream trailers and what not from your computer, and it would act as a dvd player as well.
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
post #49 of 163
If it made sense they would have done it already.
It could make sense again with the next-gen drives when the hardware is cheap enough - but before everyone has a next-gen player.
post #50 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post

If it made sense they would have done it already.

You overestimate Apple. Adding graphics cards that aren't a year and a half old and double what their price should be to the Mac Pro would make sense, too, but they haven't done that.
post #51 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

i never said anything about streaming a dvd to your tv. the thing would basically stream trailers and what not from your computer, and it would act as a dvd player as well.

So it's going to magically appear on there? I'm pretty sure AppleTV streams video. I could swear It's cordless other than the power cord.
onlooker

onlooker

post #52 of 163
I voted yes, but I think the drive needs to be a Blu-ray drive (with DVD playback as well), have DVR capability, and have the capability of recording onto Blu-ray disc as well. Sure it would be more expensive, but hell, you would have the ultimate entertainment hub.

Now, if only Apple would come out with a TV....hmmmm.
post #53 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

I voted yes, but I think the drive needs to be a Blu-ray drive (with DVD playback as well), have DVR capability, and have the capability of recording onto Blu-ray disc as well. Sure it would be more expensive, but hell, you would have the ultimate entertainment hub.

Now, if only Apple would come out with a TV....hmmmm.

It would also be six times as large with all of that.
post #54 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post

You overestimate Apple. Adding graphics cards that aren't a year and a half old and double what their price should be to the Mac Pro would make sense, too, but they haven't done that.

Yeah, I posted in a hurry. I do think in this case they would have done if it made sense. The problem is that everyone already has a DVD player of some kind around, and many of them are better at it than AppleTV with current hardware would be. Nintendo didn't even put DVD playback in Gamecube or Wii and they have an optical drive in there!

I could easily see Apple making a big price drop on current AppleTV after a while and adding a bigger 1080p model with Blu-Ray to scoop up lots of people migrating to high definition. A PS3 for non-gamers, so to speak. They could hook lots of folks on Apple products if they move before most people have BD players. I think it would be worth it to enter that market at close to zero margins, make it a no brainer to buy, and getting the margins back from the rapidly decreasing component costs.

Graphics hardware has seen great neglect not just on Mac Pro, but on iMac and Macbook. It's something of a special case for Apple. I hope this will change with the recent big-name game announcements. After all those games aren't going to turn a profit if only Mac Pro folks can play. If Apple doesn't back up this effort, lots of people moving onto a Mac on the premise that it can be used for games will be soured on the whole brand.
post #55 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

So it's going to magically appear on there? I'm pretty sure AppleTV streams video. I could swear It's cordless other than the power cord.

D: i thought it had a cord to connect it to the tv D:, if it doesn't than add one! yay! and there we have it.
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
post #56 of 163
hehehehehe...
this thread makes me laugh.
Ireland, you need so bad affirmation for you dreams and wishes that you need to create a new thread.

Grow up, you don't need to get so defensive in order to start a whole new discussion about the same subject.

Have fun with your poll!
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
post #57 of 163
I notice you didn't get bitter until the voting started to go in my favor. The good news for you if that it doesn't mean Apple will make it - it just means they'd sell more of them as a result.
post #58 of 163
Quote:

I notice you didn't get bitter until the voting started to go in my favor. The good news for you if that it doesn't mean Apple will make it - it just means they'd sell more of them as a result.

man, wow you are a child.

So what, if people want a blu-ray on AppleTV? I want too, plus DVR and many other things, but just because I want or many other people want doesn't mean Apple will do it. Do you think your poll will do anything to change that?
They have a strategy and is to sell content through iTuners, like it or not I don't see they changing that anytime soon.

Now you can keep your childish behavior and have fun with you thread. I have never seem someone that needs so much attention like yourself. Grow up dude!
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #59 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy

They have a strategy and is to sell content through iTuners, like it or not I don't see they changing that anytime soon.

I know, you keep saying that.
post #60 of 163
Quote:

I believe your implied threat of violence towards me goes against board rules, if you cant keep your comments civil, then perhaps you shouldnt comment at all?

but to address your point, you made the claim of how much it would cost, and how many they would sell, so BACK IT UP! If you can't then please stop making wild claims. If you have research please share with the rest of us

post #61 of 163
All right, Walter and Ireland go to a corner and count to ten. When you've both calmed down you can come back to the forum.
post #62 of 163
Quote:

I believe your implied threat of violence towards me goes against board rules, if you cant keep your comments civil, then perhaps you shouldnt comment at all?

How would you know noob.

Watler, you take yourself so seriously, you should try to lighten up.
post #63 of 163
I'm not going to vote on this, because voting seems to polarize people on this topic and makes them hostile towards one another, however, I will say this...A slot-loading drive from a MacBook Pro is only 9.5mm thick (just under 3/8"), so I doubt that the additional thickness would discourage anyone otherwise interested in buying an AppleTV. Since you can buy a cheap DVD player from Wal-mart for under $30, the addition of a drive would marginally raise the cost (if at all) of the unit, so cost would probably not negatively affect sales either. The way I see it, the addition of a DVD drive would only create more sales of the AppleTV.

On the other hand, the addition of a Blu-Ray drive would add thickness, and would add a cost. Assuming that Apple could make it look good, and that the bigger size could be a growth in width, not just height, the AppleTV with a BR drive would still be one of the smallest Blu-Ray players on the market today, albeit larger than the existing appleTV. As for cost, the appleTV would not need to exceed the cost of a PS3, which sells for $499.

All things considered, I do not want an AppleTV as it is now because I have no need to stream content from my computer to my TV; I just hook up my laptop directly to my TV if I want to. I realize that the AppleTV is created solely to stream content, but I would only consider buying one if it was an Apple DVD player with streaming capabilities, or if I was in the market for a new Blu-Ray player, in which case an Apple Blu-Ray player with streaming capablities would stand out from all the other BR players.
post #64 of 163
I'm torn. Whilst I agree that adding a DVD player will help boost sales, I'm concerned about the longer term effects. With attempts being made to phase out DVDs, and Apples image as making high end, cutting edge products, choosing to revise the Apple TV to include a DVD player seems like a step backwards. If they chose to include DVD playage from the get go the situation would be entirely different, but I feel that doing so now would essentially be going against the philosophy of Apple TV - it's essentially iTunes (the iTunes Store) on your TV (got that from the site )

It makes sense to do so in the short term, to help gain sales, but when people are getting into downloading adding a DVD function at this point seems a bit old hat, and could hurt the product in the long run. If Apple have also come to such a conclusion, it's safe to say we'll never see DVD playback in Apple TV. Blu-Ray seems like a better option, but it's way too soon for that!

Don't hurt 'em Ireland
"Heavy is the head that wears the crown"
"Heavy is the head that wears the crown"
post #65 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by _iceman_ View Post

As for cost, the appleTV would not need to exceed the cost of a PS3, which sells for $499.

When the ps3 was initially released it was sold at a loss. Perhaps things have changed.
post #66 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael528 View Post

I'm torn. Whilst I agree that adding a DVD player will help boost sales, I'm concerned about the longer term effects. With attempts being made to phase out DVDs, and Apples image as making high end, cutting edge products, choosing to revise the Apple TV to include a DVD player seems like a step backwards. If they chose to include DVD playage from the get go the situation would be entirely different, but I feel that doing so now would essentially be going against the philosophy of Apple TV - it's essentially iTunes (the iTunes Store) on your TV (got that from the site )

Well thats almost exactly the way I see it.

post #67 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael528 View Post

I'm torn. Whilst I agree that adding a DVD player will help boost sales, I'm concerned about the longer term effects. With attempts being made to phase out DVDs, and Apples image as making high end, cutting edge products, choosing to revise the Apple TV to include a DVD player seems like a step backwards.

While I do understand what you are saying here, the point I'm making is that adding a slot DVD in the current Apple TV wouldn't raise the height or cost much, if at all, and people will no longer require a second device (their bulky DVD player) to play back all there DVD's, which most people have a collection of. That's a HUGE selling point.

Apple could quite conceivably sell one with a DVD slot for the same price, as way more people would buy them as they would be much more useful, and it would give people a cleaner setup as a bonus.

And in the future - when the pipes are fast enough, and the content is there, people would choose downloading over buying DVD's because it will be more efficient. People could still buy DVD's and stick them in, but the majority of people wouldn't because they would go for the easier option - just like they do now with music in iTunes. And in the mean time, and in the future Apple could start to really move this product.
post #68 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by _iceman_ View Post

I'm not going to vote on this, because voting seems to polarize people on this topic and makes them hostile towards one another, however, I will say this...A slot-loading drive from a MacBook Pro is only 9.5mm thick (just under 3/8"), so I doubt that the additional thickness would discourage anyone otherwise interested in buying an AppleTV. Since you can buy a cheap DVD player from Wal-mart for under $30, the addition of a drive would marginally raise the cost (if at all) of the unit, so cost would probably not negatively affect sales either. The way I see it, the addition of a DVD drive would only create more sales of the AppleTV.

On the other hand, the addition of a Blu-Ray drive would add thickness, and would add a cost. Assuming that Apple could make it look good, and that the bigger size could be a growth in width, not just height, the AppleTV with a BR drive would still be one of the smallest Blu-Ray players on the market today, albeit larger than the existing appleTV. As for cost, the appleTV would not need to exceed the cost of a PS3, which sells for $499.

All things considered, I do not want an AppleTV as it is now because I have no need to stream content from my computer to my TV; I just hook up my laptop directly to my TV if I want to. I realize that the AppleTV is created solely to stream content, but I would only consider buying one if it was an Apple DVD player with streaming capabilities, or if I was in the market for a new Blu-Ray player, in which case an Apple Blu-Ray player with streaming capablities would stand out from all the other BR players.

my sentiments exactly, well said.
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
post #69 of 163
Quote:

I know, you keep saying that.

I do because this is what is really happening!
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #70 of 163
this guy needs to get a grip. you'd think he was steve jobs himself the way he takes this thing so seriously. dvd is on its way out the door. apple is always looking to the future. theres no way they would add a dvd player now.
post #71 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

this guy needs to get a grip. you'd think he was steve jobs himself the way he takes this thing so seriously. dvd is on its way out the door. apple is always looking to the future. theres no way they would add a dvd player now.

LOL, so you voted no then.
post #72 of 163
Quote:

I agree, but that's not economically viable. If the Apple TV cost $1000 I'd say they'd sell only a few thousand of them.

Still not going to admit this $1000 number is bogus?

Vinea
post #73 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Vinea

He never does answer questions about things he says, I think because he never thinks things through before actually going to the trouble of typing them.

Shouldn't all this be in the iPod/iTunes/Apple TV forum anyway?

post #74 of 163
Quote:

He never does answer questions about things he says, I think because he never thinks things through before actually going to the trouble of typing them.

Shouldn't all this be in the iPod/iTunes/Apple TV forum anyway?

Please just stop being so negative. And no, cause it's a future hardware product. Welcome to the forums.
post #75 of 163
Quote:

Vinea

Bogus or not it doesn't matter, the point is it will be too expensive for most people with a Blu-ray drive at this point. Who knows where the costs will be at by Christmas, but the last thing they want to do it use a cheap Blu-ray drive, cheap as in quality that is.
post #76 of 163
Quote:

Please just stop being so negative. And no, cause it's a future hardware product. Welcome to the forums.

Well then stop trying to rile me with the newbie rubbish, I've been reading this forum for a number of years, post count means very little if you have very little to say. and you seem to have very little to say that isnt pulled from yuor backside.

post #77 of 163
I'm done arguing with you. Life's stressful enough as it is.
post #78 of 163
Quote:

Well then stop trying to rile me with the newbie rubbish, I've been reading this forum for a number of years, post count means very little if you have very little to say. and you seem to have very little to say that isnt pulled from yuor backside.

bunch of internet tough guys around here.
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
post #79 of 163
Quote:

Bogus or not it doesn't matter, the point is it will be too expensive for most people with a Blu-ray drive at this point. Who knows where the costs will be at by Christmas, but the last thing they want to do it use a cheap Blu-ray drive, cheap as in quality that is.

Who's most people? Why is $699 too expensive for a Blu-Ray device that also does FrontRow/iTunes? To imply that Apple shys away from high-end products because of cost is simply loony. Adding a Blu-Ray drive is FAR more inline with Apple design than a DVD drive or have you missed out on the higher end and higher priced iPod, iPhone, iMac, MacPro, MacBook (which for the bottom of the Apple notebook product line is mid tier on price and capability), MacBookPro and even the AppleTV.

The Apple demographic has certainly shown it is willing to cough up money for upper end products and Apple has shown it doesn't like doing "old" stuff. DVD is "old" stuff.

You want a discussion but refuse to accept when your assertions are incorrect. That's not a discussion...that's simply you pushing your thoughts blindly.

For example, I've seen the teardowns of the aTV and I looked at the thing in person. There's really no room for even a slim DVD drive without increasing height. But you persist in saying that it would be no additional height for a DVD drive.

In any case as many people disagree with you as agree with you and of those folks that voted yes a few have said Blu-Ray over DVD. It isn't the matter of one or two folks dissenting which is what you wanted to show with this extra bogus poll thread.

Vinea
post #80 of 163
Quote:

Who's most people? Why is $699 too expensive for a Blu-Ray device that also does FrontRow/iTunes? To imply that Apple shys away from high-end products because of cost is simply loony. Adding a Blu-Ray drive is FAR more inline with Apple design than a DVD drive or have you missed out on the higher end and higher priced iPod, iPhone, iMac, MacPro, MacBook (which for the bottom of the Apple notebook product line is mid tier on price and capability), MacBookPro and even the AppleTV.

The Apple demographic has certainly shown it is willing to cough up money for upper end products and Apple has shown it doesn't like doing "old" stuff. DVD is "old" stuff.

You want a discussion but refuse to accept when your assertions are incorrect. That's not a discussion...that's simply you pushing your thoughts blindly.

For example, I've seen the teardowns of the aTV and I looked at the thing in person. There's really no room for even a slim DVD drive without increasing height. But you persist in saying that it would be no additional height for a DVD drive.

In any case as many people disagree with you as agree with you and of those folks that voted yes a few have said Blu-Ray over DVD. It isn't the matter of one or two folks dissenting which is what you wanted to show with this extra bogus poll thread.

Vinea

he said that it might increase the height a bit, but not by a lot.
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8x

and

iPod Touch
8GB
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Would putting a standard slot-loading DVD drive in the Apple TV make sense right now?