Originally Posted by Adjei
I believe the Apple TV can become successful for Apple, it just needs a few changes and as technology advances these changes can be implemented. As more people start adopting broadband internet and speeds increase the Apple TV can move forward...
- Firstly the itunes store needs high definition content since the device is being used for HDTV's...
This is about the only thing that is required.
- There needs to be some sort of rental service on itunes and used for Apple TV
- IPTV service which can challenge cable and satellite companies
There is no requirement for these. Apple has believed that purchase is better than rental. While this may change it would require the agreement of the studios. Real IPTV service for the number of iTunes customers would require far more infrastructure than sales and download.
Again sales vs rental/subscription. Also satellite radio already has internet broadcast for subscribers.
- Being able to play itunes games with the Apple TV....
- Creating a new touchscreen universal remote with the same design as the iphone to replace the existing remote which can control your apple tv, television, and other devices as well as being used as a controller for the games
Simple games will likely come as are control widgets for iPhones and iPods.
- Needs more content (movies, classic tv shows, sports matches, etc)
Which will come.
- DVR function with programming similar to TIVO
No. First this means that Apple will need to license DVR technology from TiVO and second, DVRs are annoying/expensive to build to work with cable companies (cable cards + activation) and third if you have rental/subscription/IPTV then DVR technology is as outdated as DVDs.
- Ability to browse the internet...
- Intergrated itunes into Apple TV
- Being able to watch programming while away on your iphone or another computer, sort of like how the slingbox does it...
- Adding a service like flickr to it...
These are likely.
What do y'all think...Can these ideas be implemented...
Of course they CAN be. Whether they are likely to are business decisions. IPTV is very unlikely. DVR is very unlikely. Subscriptions/Rentals are possible.