or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Making the iPhone Better - a minimalist suggestion.

Making the iPhone Better - a minimalist suggestion.

post #1 of 3
I don't know if this is feasible vis-á-vis the electronics involved but ...

By removing something from the iPhone , it might work even better :

The bottom speaker ( next to the recharge/sync port ) sounds louder if you cup your palm around it to direct the sound forward instead of downward.

I could use more volume from this speaker in all but a quiet room.

Since placing this speaker on the face of the iPhone would ruin the clean look of the phone, then why not use this stronger speaker where the weaker, superfluous ear speaker (the one you hold up to your ear) is now ?

This change would give us a speaker phone and iPod sound facing correctly forward.

And if it gets too loud against the ear during a call, we can turn the volume down.

One more thing ...

The space left at the bottom of the iPhone could then house a simple but crucial new feature : a very strong but discrete lanyard attachment anchor; if any device made by Apple ever needed a wrist strap to prevent dropping hearts, this one is it --- yes ?

So,

• better, louder, forward-firing iPod sound,
• better louder iPhone sound next to the ear,
• lanyard to prevent broken hearts.
• form factor --- unchanged

Anyone know how to get this suggestion heard by Apple ?

What does everybody think ?
---gooddog

/
: * ] AAAAaaaRRRrrrFFFFff !!!
\
---gooddog

/
\
post #2 of 3
Seriously, when is the iPhone EVER too loud? It just cant be made loud enough for handsfree use. None of the ringtones are loud enough to be heard while walking down a crowded street and vibration mode is relaively weak.
post #3 of 3
I agree mostly.

The vibrating mode --- is weak.
One day there will be a butt piece by, Jammer, in the form of a bluetooth suppository
that receives ring patterns from the handset. It will dwarf the iPod Nano in sales.

But if you set iPhone on speaker phone all the way up and hold the bottom speaker to your ear, you will agree that this speaker is loud enough... for ear use.

So we should have it on the top of the unit facing forward -- it is more than loud enough for up-against-the-ear use and it will improve the sound when used in iPod or speaker phone mode.

Lose the weak speaker now on top.
Bring the lower speaker up as a replacement.
Put an anchor for a lanyard in the empty spot at the botom.

Of course just using a better - louder speaker would be great ---
but why on earth do we need two speakers in any case ???

But wait !!! There's more !!!

iPhone ought to have the option to make at least one folder we name that is locked with very heavy
encryption : to keep bank account numbers, passwords, adult content, etc. from thieves and kids.

It should be easily accessible while talking on the phone : I don't know how many times I have called
my bank or some utility office on my lunch break only to have them ask me for some arcane, stupid number
that I have stashed away in my files at home. ARRRGH !

This goes as well for applications like DeliciousMonster's LIBRARY --- I can't archive any adult videos because
I am concerned it will show right there on the shelf --- Mary Poppins , Mary Pops Many, ...
---gooddog

/
\
---gooddog

/
\
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Making the iPhone Better - a minimalist suggestion.